Page 1 of 1

IC: Ch. 10 Back into the Breach...uh I mean House

Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:54 pm
by BenTheRat
Date: March 24, 1921, 11:00 AM

Each of you show up about 11 am. The house looks very much like it has in the past. The cigar & magazine vendor, Joe, is on the street again hocking his wares. With the exception of Joe, no one else is around and no cars are around. Joe smiles at you as you pull up to the house.

Re: IC: Ch. 10 Back into the Breach...uh I mean House

Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:51 pm
by Priest
Scott, showing the eagerness of the new guy, pulls his motorcycle to a halt and pushes his goggles onto his forehead, peering up and down the road.
Scott thinking:   No one here yet but that's fine I can wait.  
Inside his jacket the comforting shape of the war souvenir .45 gives him confidence, but he can't help remembering that the reporter guy who got stabbed had also been carrying and it hadn't helped him one bit. He shudders slightly and not from the cold.
Scott thinking:   Maybe I should hightail it now before the others get here? But then this whole ghost thing is kind of fascinating.  

Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:10 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard arrives at the house with his satchel over his shoulder with all of the tools that he requested from Ms Patton.
He see's Scott standing by his motorcycle and walks over to him and says "Morning Scott, glad to see that you decided to stay with our marry band" and Richard reaches out to shake his hand.

Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:06 pm
by Priest
With a sheepish grin, fears dismissed, Scott pulls the glove from his right hand and reaches out to shake Richard's hand. Turning he unstraps a satchel from the back seat of the bike. Military khaki marked with a red cross it bears the marks of age, use, and battle scars. He holds it up for Richards inspection, "Just a few bits and pieces that I hope we don't need but feel happier having, if you get my meaning?"

Again he peers up and down the road, "So I guess we wait. How do you want to play this?"

He partialy opens his battered leather coat, which was also a souvenir of the war in Europe and had once been part of a German fliers uniform, reavealing the butt of the black pistol nestled in a shoulder holster beneath his left arm to pull his tweed cap, neatly rolled, from within. With another grin after running his fingers through his thick wind swept hair, he pulled it on, "Right, I'm ready"

Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:30 pm
by Silver Priest
Michael is next to arrive, already frowning. It was hard to get excited about another visit to the hell house. But there was something evil in that house, and the former cop couldn't walk away. Especially not after what happened to Warren.

Seeing Richard and the new guy, Michael offers them both a nod and a grunt in greeting, but does not shake their hands. He's too distracted to worry about pleasantries at the moment.Crossing his arms, he stares off in the direction of the house.

I'm going to beat you, you son of a bitch.

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:30 am
by DrPeterson
Harrison arrives too. He grunts a hello at those present and then looks at the house as he lights a cigarette.

"You guys ready to go in again?"

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:04 am
by DrVendetta
Richard states to everyone "Well as far a a plan goes I say we remove the boards from the outside of the house that are over the basement windows, we need to get some light in there"

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:06 am
by Occigon
Charles arrives in time to hear Richard's comment. "Even if it doesn't kill whatever's in there, should make it easier to dodge whatever sharp things come flying in our direction this time. By the way - has anyone given any thought as to how we climb down into the basement, given that the stairs are largely, well, not there?"

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:09 am
by DrVendetta
Richard reply's to Charles "Good point, I brought plenty of rope but maybe we should get a ladder or something to lay down above the stairs that reaches from the top to the bottom of the stairs that way we dont have to rely on the stairs at all."

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:42 am
by Occigon
"Well, we probably should have thought of that last night, I doubt we'll find a ladder around here. A rope should do the trick, I think."

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:08 am
by DrPeterson
"Ok, I suggest we start removing the boards. The others can join when they get here."

Harrison looks around the street to see if the others are on their way.

"I'm going to buy some smokes first."

He goes over to Joe's.

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:09 pm
by Priest
Scott is glad that the others have arrived it makes him feel a little safer given the stories he's been hearing. For a second he gazes at the taciturn, serious looking Michael there is something in the way he is staring at the house that reminds him of the look soldiers in France had got just before the whistles blew. He would have to take care around him.

"Did anyone bring a crowbar or something to prise the boards off?"

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:35 pm
by BenTheRat
Harrison walks across the street and down a bit to the vendor. Joe smiles at him, "you're back messing with that house again. Nothing goods going to come of it. Burn it down I say." Then he seems to remember something, "what can I get you."
You are still waiting on Jordie and Sonny to show up, but you start on the boarded up windows.
ooc,everyone make an idea roll for me.

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:36 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard pulls the hammer and crowbar out of his satchel and says "I have that covered" and offers the hammer to someone as he digs out a spike to to offer the person who takes the hammer to assist in removing boards.

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:38 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard idea roll,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:29 pm
by Priest
Scott's idea roll,75% 1d100 → [16] = (16) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4379652/
"I'll take that" says Scott, gesturing at the hammer.

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:01 pm
by BenTheRat
You notice while there are boarded up windows into the basement where you were at, there are windows into what should be the basement beyond what the room you were in.

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:22 pm
by DrVendetta
OOC:   Richard makes sure that the boards are removed from every basement window on the house, he also looks into each of the windows to see if he can see anything. Richard is trying to understand the layout of the basement rooms from where the stairs lead down into the basement  

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:52 am
by BenTheRat
As you rip the boards off towards the back of the house, you see the windows are also painted black.
As you rip the boards off closer to the front of the house, where there should be no basement, they are also painted black.

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:53 am
by Occigon
"Well, someone's definitely interested in keeping the light out," muses Charles. "We could smash the windows - but that might attract more attention than we might like."

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:09 am
by DrPeterson
Idea Roll,[dice]0[/dice]

Harrison orders a pack of cigarettes and nods.

Yeah, you're probably right, but you know how it is right? Have you seen anyone else poking around the house lately?

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:13 pm
by BenTheRat
Harrison,when you get back you will notice what the others already have. That the windows go around more of the house than the basement took up.
Joe sells you the cigs, "No, been quiet except for your bunch the last couple days. What's your interest in it?"

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:36 pm
by DrPeterson
Harrison takes a smoke from the pack and lights it.

"Ah, haunted houses have the tendency of attracting rich men bent on buying them. We're just hired to look into it."

He takes a few drags as he watches the house from afar.

"You wouldn't know a few juicy details, would you?"

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:13 pm
by Priest
"Hmm" mutters Scott, as mystified by the blacked out windows as anyone else, "Someone sure has gone to a lot of trouble. Are we sure that the windows haven't been blocked up from the inside as well?"

He crouches down to inspect the black painted glass closer, "Perhaps we could break one and find out if they have. I know of a little trick involving sticking plaster which would cancel any overly loud sounds of glass being broken".

He stands up and rumages around inside his bag eventualy producing a roll of plaster, "Just something I heard during my stint on the docks"

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:14 pm
by BenTheRat
Harrison,[color=#0000FF]"No sir, stay away from that place, other than what you just said. Your friend over there was pumping me for info a couple days back. I told him everything which aint much." [/color]he replies.
Scott,which window are you looking at. Either way make a spot hidden.
ooc,whenever you are doing something to a window, let me know if it is one closer to the front of the house, or rear of the house. There are 8 windows total. 4 on each side, spread evenly down the side of the house.

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:03 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard checks one of the windows near the front of the house to see if the black paint is on the inside or the out side of the windows.

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:33 pm
by Priest
Spot Hidden,45% 1d100 → [46] = (46) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4381541/ failed by 1% Scott was at the front the opposite end to Richard.

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:37 pm
by BenTheRat
Scott,since Richard was at the front, yours made no sense unless you are at a window on the opposite side of the house. Either way, just looking at the painted window, you don't notice anything other than the black paint.
Richard,make a spot hidden check.

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:15 am
by DrVendetta
Richard spot hidden,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:36 am
by BenTheRat
Richard,looking at the painted window, you don't notice anything other than the black paint.

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:06 am
by DrVendetta
Richard checks to see if the windows are locked, he checks the 4 in front first then the 4 in back. He also checks to see if he can scratch any paint off from the outside of the windows.

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:43 am
by DrPeterson
Ben,"[color=#0000BF]Oh? Which one would that be? The angry one?[/color]", [b]Harrison [/b]smiles as he indicates [b]Richard[/b].

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:44 pm
by BenTheRat
Harrison,[b]Joe [/b]smiles,[color=#0000FF] "I don't know about angry, he was nice enough[/color]."
Richard,The windows don't open, they are built into the frame. As you scrape the paint off the outer windows closer to the back of the house and shine your light in, it looks like the basement you were in before. As you scrape off a bit of the paint closer to the front, it looks like dirt behind the windows.

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:51 pm
by Priest
"Well", says Scott watching as Richard meticulously scratches the paint from the basement windows, "Shall we?" he balances the thick roll of sticking plaster on the palm of his hand.

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:49 pm
by DrPeterson
Ben,[b]Harrison [/b]smiles. "[color=#0000BF]I'm sure he has his moments. Say, you wouldn't happen to have known the previous owner, would you? a Mr. [b]Corbitt[/b]?[/color]"

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:54 pm
by BenTheRat
Harrison,[color=#0000FF]"No way, I've only been here a few years. Corbitt died a few decades back." [/color][b]Joe [/b]responds.

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:03 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard reply's to Scott "Ok lets give it a try but it looks like there is just dirt behind these front basement windows"

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:26 pm
by DrPeterson
Ben,"[color=#0000BF]All right, I guess I'll better go check on my colleagues. Have a nice day.[/color]"

Harrison walks up to the house, smoking a cigarette and he goes to see what Scott and Richard are up to.

"How's it going?"

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:10 pm
by Priest
Scott looks toward the road and smiles at Harrison then nods to Richard, "Might be best if we try the back" He nods towards the newspaper stand, "Too many eyes"

Moving to one of the back windows he crouches and tears several lengths of sticking plaster attaching them in strips to the glass. Once finished he uses the butt of the pistol to give the glass a sharp tap...

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:40 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard follows Scott to the window

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:12 am
by Silver Priest
Snapping out of his daydream, Michael follows Scott and Richard.

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:28 am
by BenTheRat
As you break out the window, you can shine your light in to the room and it is the basement the others told you they were in. Richard can confirm this is where they fought the knife.

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:46 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard says to Scott "Lets try that on one of the windows in the front and see what we get"

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:54 pm
by Priest
Scott stands and follows Richard to one of the front windows and kneeling repeats the procedure. Strips of sticking plaster followed by sharp crack on the glass with the pistol butt...

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:28 pm
by Silver Priest
Michael attempts to cover Scott, making it more difficult for any passerby to notice what no doubt looks like a potential break in.

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:28 pm
by DetectiveSocks
Who comes to a housewarming party on time?

Rolling up to the curb, Jordie climbs out of the Chevy pickup fashionably late. Her pistol stirred nervously under her arm, as Jordie walks to the back of the truck, looking over to the dark and sinister house with a kill-streak that would put a mass-murderer to shame. Jordie notices the rest of the gang all poking and prodding around the house - as if dissecting it to the heart of the problem. Clambering to the back of the truck, Jordie unfastens the straps binding the searchlight equipments. Hoping the light would shine through whatever lived inside. Burning away the creature and it's dark past. Jordie had a hard time humouring herself any of this would work. If anything, if the light couldn't burn it away, it would only make the shadows leap higher.

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:20 am
by BenTheRat
Jordie,these will be hard for you to get out by yourself, you will probably need help. Or you can make a strength check. You notice Sonny hasn't made it either.
As you break the glass it doesn't go in like it did in the other one. So using a small tool, you can pull the broken shards back towards you and you reveal the hard packed earth behind the window.

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:42 am
by Priest
Scott leans forward and prods the earth, "What the heck is that about, wonder how thick it is?"

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:15 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard pulls out his shovel and starts digging in through the window to see if he can judge the depth of the dirt.

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:41 pm
by Papa Gateau
Sonny walks up to Jordie - Hey, sorry I'm late he says a little sheepishly kinda got carried away last night, didn't get back til late and overslept a bit. he nods over to the house and the others, have we started the party yet?

He carefully places his trumpet in the cab and helps unload the kit off the Chevvy.

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:16 pm
by BenTheRat
The windows are not large, maybe 6" tall and a bit less than 2' wide. You can get your shovel in a bit and dig out some of the dirt.

You go back about 6-8" and its still dirt. You are seeing an unusually large number of worms and bugs though.

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:33 pm
by Priest
Scott steps back a few feet watching as Richard struggles to make any difference to the earth packed behind the window.
"Jeez is there a room behind there, buried somehow?" he turns around and wathches as Jordie and Sonny unpack some mean looking lights from her car, "What the hell, is she expecting some kind of Broadway performance?" he laughs at his attempt at humour, then feels foolish and shuts up abruptly.

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:39 pm
by DrPeterson
Harrison flicks away his cigarette and lights a new one.

"Worms...I hate worms, they are so unworldy..."

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:52 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard chuckels a little at Scotts joke about Jordie and says "I have no idea what goes through that women's head, she just kind of drops in and out as she please's and bats her eyelash's and thinks that is suppose to make us think that she is value added to the team. I am still waiting to see a break through helpfull moment. The guy who put this team together chose us for a reason, so I am sure she is here for a good reason"

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:00 am
by Occigon
Charles looks thoughtfully at the freshly dug earth. "Do those worms and bugs look coincidental to you? Aren't there... a bit more than there should be? Should we keep digging, or...?"

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:57 am
by Silver Priest
"I say keep digging. Someone went to a lot of effort to pack all that dirt in there. Michael frowns at all the bugs.

"There do seem to be a lot of them. Be ready. I think maybe someone was buried in all this dirt. Explains the number of bugs." Michael had seen a few decaying corpses, and they had always attracted a number of "admirers".

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:41 am
by DrVendetta
Richard nods his head in agreement and continues to dig as much of the dirt out as he can.

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:52 am
by DetectiveSocks
The music in the air felt like a negative vibe all around her, the silent gestures that tacitly acknowledge Jordie's presence, all judging and calculating her every decision. Arrested to the thought, that everybody had the impression of Jordie being useless, and nothing more than dead-weight. Rendered two-dimensional, her self-confidence not looking as good as she looks.

Jordie looks up without her eyes meeting Sonny's, "Thank you dear," as she unfastens all the ropes to reveal two portable searchlights. Jordie attempts to lift the searchlight with Sonny

She looked over towards the rest of the gang and notices the new facelift they've given to the house. The disturbed earth drew Jordie's attention, as she see's Richard and the others digging it up. It wasn't what's inside the hole Jordie cared about, rather, only what she saw was his bones straining under the weight of all the lives he wasn't living, watching the shovel heave the earth away. Though Jordie wasn't any better than anybody else, scratching around for a few dollars just like everybody else.

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:23 pm
by BenTheRat
You find the digging gets harder since the window is not very tall. You have dug back about 15" now. You are just having to shove the shovel into the dirt and then scrape it out.

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:28 pm
by Priest
Scott nods agreement with Michael, "Once over in France some of the men were enlarging our bunker when a section collapsed. In the earth fall we found the remains of some previous inhabitant of the trench, probably been there for a while. The sheer amount of worms and bugs in attendance was phenomenal" He shivers at the memory and steps a few feet further back.

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:06 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard pulls his hand pick from his satchel and uses that to see if helps to dig in further, he will use the shovel to remove the dirt that he dislodges with the pick.

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:34 pm
by BenTheRat
As everyone else stands around and watches Richard, for a long time, you continue to dig out the dirt, going further and further in. Finally, you are laying on your belly, reaching into the small space with your arm, digging away at the dirt, when your small pick finally hits what feel like wood, 2 - 2 1/2 feet back from the window.

By this time Jordie and Sonny remove the 2 large Kerosene fueled lights from the back of the truck.

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:27 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard says "I have found something wooden in here" as he starts to try to dig out around the wooden surface to discover its size and shape

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:08 am
by BenTheRat
You pick your way up and it goes up to the underside of the house.

And it goes as far left, right and down as you can go, which isn't far.

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:57 am
by DrVendetta
Ben,I am assuming that this is bigger than the size of the window?

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:26 am
by DrPeterson
"What do you think it is? Is it a foundation beam?"

Harrison lights up again. He must have gone through half a pack in the time they've been digging here.

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:22 pm
by BenTheRat
Richard,yes.

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:19 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard reply's "no I don't think it is a foundation beam because it is bigger than the window opening"
Ben,I do not think this is a foundation beam correct? Also where do I think it is at in relation to a floor in the house so we can go in and look for trap doors in the floor and where do I think it is from the closest basement wall to look for an entrance there as well

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:18 pm
by BenTheRat
It would be in the living room. And is a long way from the basement. It is not a support beam. Feels more like a wall.

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:40 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard stands back up and turns to the others "I think there is a wall in there, it appears to be under the living room so lets go check the living room for any secret doors that may lead us into a secret room in the basement" he gathers up his items and places them back into his satchel and slings it over his shoulder and heads for the living room through the front door.

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:56 pm
by Priest
Returning the slightly smaller roll of sticking plaster to his satchel, Scott starts after Richard. Any fearful thoughts are quickly submerged beneath a thrill of excitement that suddenly courses through his body.
Scott thinking:   This is what I came for a real haunted house investigation  
Even so he couldn't quite shake the image of the reporter lying on the cold earthen floor with that strange dagger protruding from his chest. As he follows Richard he flashes a weak smile at Michael and the cigarette smoking Harrison.

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:40 am
by Occigon
Charles takes a deep breath. "Why is it that going into this house never feels like a good idea?" he mutters. Nevertheless, he walks with a determined step towards the door.

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:55 am
by Silver Priest
"Probably because it isn't." Michael responds, following the others. "If all goes well this should be our last visit. Or poorly, I suppose."

As soon as he enters the house, the former cop pulls out his gun. He's not sure how much help it will give him, but it eases his mind a bit all the same.

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:38 am
by DrPeterson
Before going into the house, Harrison casts a glance at the light crew. He salutes them with a nod and then enters the house.

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:00 pm
by DetectiveSocks
Slowly shuffling towards the steps of the house with Sonny, Jordie returns a weak smile back as she continues to carry one of the searchlight equipment to the house.

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:05 pm
by DrPeterson
Harrison stops and turns in his track to go help Jordie and Sonny.

"I'm not sure if it's fear or magnanimity, but let me take that from you."

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:53 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard walks into the living room and starts by checking the floor for any doors or secret compartments
spot hidden roll if needed,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:20 pm
by BenTheRat
As Harrison goes back to help, you can see Jordie is struggling with it, as is Sonny. He seems strong enough to handle it, but his short stature, makes it difficult to balance the extremely bulky lanterns. Each weighs around 60 lbs.

As Richard goes into the house, you hear it groan. You ignore the obvious cliche and move into the living room. Stepping steps off from the front wall of the house to just past the fireplace to where the 1st window would be at.

There are some throw rugs down, but you quickly move them out of the way to find solid hard wood floors. They seem a bit worn and could be sanded and refinished. But nothing that looks like a door, or piece out of place.

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:38 pm
by Priest
"The house is groaning?"
Scott thinking:   What the hell have I got into now?  
Rather than step over the threshold, Scott turns around abruptly, "Think I'll give Sonny a hand"

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:43 pm
by DetectiveSocks
Jordie nods her head towards the truck outside, "There's another light in the back of the truck." Slowly moving inside the house, Jordie sets the light down by the front door to catch her breath.

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:48 am
by DrVendetta
Richard looks for a place to remove a board with the least amount of destruction to the floor and says "Anyone see a good place to remove a board or two without completely destroying the floors?"

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:08 am
by DetectiveSocks
Reacting to Richard's question, Jordie goes over to the living room and begins stomping on the floor with her boots. If there is a secret cavity in the bowel of the house, surely it'll produce a hollow sound?

Unless the sound of the basement give way...

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:20 am
by Occigon
Charles follows Jordie's example, trying to find anywhere that seems hollow.

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:04 am
by BenTheRat
Everything sounds solid.

The floor looks good, not boards look out of place or loose.

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:10 am
by DrVendetta
Richard says "The wall I found was right below here somewhere, our other choice is to go down the basement and see if we can find a false wall that comes into below this room here"

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:02 am
by Occigon
"If we're going into the basement, I sggest we get the others and all go down together," says Charles. "To do otherwise would be tempting fate..."

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:09 am
by DrVendetta
Richard reply's to Charles "I completely agree, and I think we need to go down with a think blanket again in case of any other possessed knives attacking again"

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:33 am
by DetectiveSocks

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:19 am
by DrPeterson
Harrison helps carry one of the lights inside.

"To ... the ...cellar...then..."

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:23 pm
by Priest
Having relieved the struggling Sonny of the lamp, Scott puts it next to Harrison's and looks about him, "So where is this door to the basement then?"

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:28 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard walks over to the basement door and proceeds to open it

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:11 pm
by BenTheRat
It looks very much like it did before.

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:25 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard looks down the stairs and tries to think of an idea for everyone to get down the stairs safely

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:59 am
by BenTheRat
Richard,make an idea roll

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:52 am
by DrVendetta
Ben,idea roll [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:38 pm
by BenTheRat
Richard,it comes to you if you were to tie a rope onto the person going down, that if they slipped on the evasive stairs it would keep them from tumbling. And if you placed a matress at the bottom of the stairs, that would help also.
ooc,sorry I haven't been real responsive. I'm in training this week in Florida and so its difficult to find time to get on.

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:05 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard turns to everyone and starts to pull rope out of his satchel "We can use this rope for people going down the stairs, we could also maybe throw a matress from one of the beds down to the bottom to use as a cushion i ncase someone does fall down the stairs"

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:03 pm
by DrPeterson
"Two people should go down and then we can lower the lights on the ropes."

Harrison puts down the lamp and lights up another cigarette, discarding the empty package.

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:12 pm
by Silver Priest
"I'll go get one of the mattresses from upstairs." Michael offers. "I'd like someone else to come and cover me in case our ghost decides to try something."

Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:10 am
by DrVendetta
Richard starts to walk to Michael and says "I got your back, you are probably right none of us should go off by ourselves in this house"

Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:15 am
by Occigon
"I'll go down," says Charles. "Who else? Harrison?"

Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:16 am
by Silver Priest
Michael offers an appreciate nod to Richard and proceeds up the stairs,intending to take the mattress from the first room he sees.

Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:44 am
by DrVendetta
Richard follows Michael up the stairs

Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:16 am
by DrPeterson
Harrison looks at Charles and winks.

"Let's wait till they get back, okay?"

Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:22 pm
by Priest
Scott watches as Richard pulls the rope from his satchel, "Jeez an Indian rope trick, what else have you got in there?"

He starts to laugh but somehow given the surroundings and the serious looks on the faces of the others he stops, "Count me in, after all that's what we came here for aint it?" He desperately hopes someone might disagree with him, but somehow he doubts it.

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:12 am
by BenTheRat
As you get to the top of the stairs the first bedroom is the second door on the left. As you look in, it is a plain room with a bed frame and a dresser in it. You notice blood dripping down from the ceiling.

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:32 am
by DrVendetta
Richard pulls out his guns and says "go ahead and grab the matress and lets make a hasty retreat back down stairs with it, I have you covered"

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:58 pm
by BenTheRat
The first bedroom with blood dripping from the ceiling has a bed frame with springs, but no mattress.

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:52 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard says "ok lets check the next room"

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:33 pm
by Silver Priest
Closing his eyes for a second, Michael wills himself to be calm.

It's just a trick, like the fire.

Taking a deep breath, he does his best to ignore the ominous blood and proceeds to the next room.

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:50 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard looks into the next room to see if there is a matress, gun in each hand

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:05 am
by DetectiveSocks
"Think the couch cushions and the chair seats would help?" as Jordie looks over to the living room from the entrance hall.

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:11 am
by BenTheRat
The 3rd door is the children's bedroom. There are 2 mattresses in here.

The couch cushions also are loose and would work for this.

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:33 am
by DrVendetta
Richard says "Here we go and no blood, go ahead and grab one" Richard keeps a sharp eye out, ready to react if anything strange happens. If nothing happens when Michael goes in and grabs one of the matress and gets it out of the room without any surprises Richard will holster his guns and grab the other matress once Michael has cleared the room with the first matress.

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:25 am
by Priest
Looking to where Jordie is looking, Scott nods, "It won't hurt". He moves to the couch and starts to gather the cushions. Listening he can hear Richard and Michael upstairs,
Scott thinking:   Gee I hope they hurry, this place certainly makes your flesh crawl  
Entering the house had made the stories he had heard in the hospital, real. He shudders, as if feeling a blast of cold wind, and begins carrying the cushions to the open basement doorway.

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:30 am
by Silver Priest
Taking the lack of dripping blood as a good sign, Michael enters the room and takes one of the mattresses.

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:04 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard waits and watches patiently from the doorway

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:46 pm
by BenTheRat
You manage to get the matresses and cushions without incident. You have moved them to the basement and slid them down the stairs to the base of the stairs. Using rope to secure anyone going down the steps it would take a special kind of stupid to get injured at this point going down the steps.

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:52 pm
by Priest
Scott peers down into the basement at the matress and cushions at the bottom of the stairs, "Okay, so what's next?"

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:12 pm
by DrVendetta
After securing himself to the rope Richard reply's "We go down stairs" with his satchel over his shoulder and his flashlight in his free hand Richard goes down to the bottom of the stairs with great caution

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:23 am
by Occigon
"My turn," says Charles, ready to attach the rope to himself and head down as soon as Richard unties himself from it.

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:56 am
by BenTheRat
The 2 of you make it to the bottom of the stairs. It is dark down here, but appears to be the same as when you were last down here.

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:27 am
by DrVendetta
Richard walks and looks under the stairs for any type of door or false wall with his flash light.

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:59 pm
by BenTheRat
As you look under the stairs there is nothing there. You notice the window you broke out. A small amount of sunlight comes in keeping it from being completely black.
There is a small room walled off in one corner of the basement. The door is closed.
ooc,tonight I'll draw up a small diagram and post to help you see things easier.

Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:23 am
by BenTheRat

Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:50 am
by DetectiveSocks
Cupping her hands to her face, Jordie shouts down the stairs, "I do believe you have pulleys to haul our lights down?"

Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:23 am
by Occigon
OOC,Ben, just to confirm, the other three windows are boarded up from the inside?

Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:01 pm
by BenTheRat
ooc,yes

Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:07 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard pulls out the pullies and hands them to Jordie.
He then turns and looks for the best place to anchor a hook tohang the pullies from to give them the best leverage to get the lights down without the stairs having to bear the weight of the lights.

Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:31 pm
by BenTheRat
There is a main support beam running across the ceiling. It seems to be the main support structure here.

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:43 am
by DrVendetta
Ben,will I be able to place a hook in this beam close enough to the stairs so we can use the pullies to get the lights down here?

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:34 am
by BenTheRat
Richard,Yes

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:13 am
by DetectiveSocks
"Thanks love," returning a smile to Richard, Jordie begins placing the pulley along the support beam of the ceiling.

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:47 am
by Priest
Scott goes to help Jordie make ready to lower the lights.

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:12 pm
by DrPeterson
OOC:,Damn, somehow lost track of this thread. Sorry!
Harrison helps lower the lights and then goes down too.

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:47 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard helps with getting the lights down and set up.

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:22 pm
by Silver Priest
Michael also helps with the lights before heading down the stairs.

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:40 pm
by BenTheRat
With everyone working together and the pulleys and ropes, you get the large kerosene lights into the basement. When you light them up, they light up the area very well.

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:57 pm
by Priest
Scott watches the rush to the basement, now that the bright lights seem to have banished peoples fears.
Scott thinking:   Its getting a mite crowded down there  
With that thought he begins to wander through the downstairs rooms.

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:41 am
by DrVendetta
After the lights are up and running Richard walks over to the door to the small room in the corner and takes a close look at it including the ground at the base and all around the door frame checking for anything unusual. The fact that he spent some time and energy digging out real dirt from the window on the outside and there is no dirt on the inside has Richard a little shaken. He is half afraid that if he opens the door he may be opening a portal to some evil place.

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:55 am
by BenTheRat
The floor of the basement is dirt, but it is packed hard, and doesn't look like the dirt you were digging earlier.

The door seems to have a small gap under it, and has a door handle, but no visible lock.

As Scott wonders through the downstairs, he sees the kitchen, the dining room, a big mess here as there is spoiled soup on the floor, and the living room with fireplace.

On the south side of the hall, the door closest to the front door is locked, the next door is a storage room full of broken furniture, looks like they were using it as fire wood. Finally the 3rd door closest to the stairs leads to a mud room. Several overcoats and rubber boots are in the room.

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:28 am
by DetectiveSocks
With the lights illuminating the room, the incandescent shade vaguely reminded Jordie of pictures from Egyptian excavation sites she had read in a few articles. That vicarious thrill spurred Jordie senses, as the air mixed in that feeling of dread and wonder the light made.

Wondering where Corbitt was buried, Jordie couldn't recall the Macario family mentioning a coffin or anything out of place in the basement, other than a dark figure tormenting them. If anything, the tomb was hidden somewhere clever and she was hoping it wasn't where she was standing.

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:32 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard says to everyone in the basement "I am going to check in this small room every one be alert for when I open the door, make sure you are ready in case we get any surprises on the other side of it"

Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:06 am
by Silver Priest
Michael nods and readies himself for any horror that may be lurking on the other side of the door. Theoretically, at least.

Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:17 am
by Occigon
Clutching one of his burlap sacks, Charles comes up behind Richard and readies himself for a flying knife or some other danger.

Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:25 am
by Priest
Ben,the locked door closest to the front door (south side), is that the basement door or one we haven't opened yet?

Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:01 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard opens the door and looks in prepared jump out of the way of any oncoming objects

Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:26 pm
by DrPeterson
Harrison pats his pockets, vainly trying to locate another cigarette.

"Anyone got a smoke?"

Absent-mindedly twisting the tension build-up.

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:47 pm
by BenTheRat
As Richard opens the door, nothing happens. It is a coal room. The room is empty with just a few pieces of coal laying loose around the room.

The coal chute is boarded shut from the inside.
ooc,I was waiting on others to post. We need to have more people posting.

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:30 pm
by DrVendetta
Ben,Ok my understanding of a coal shute is there is an opening on the outside of the house that they put coal into which allows the coal to go down to the basement where the coal is then loaded into a coal burning furnace. Since I have been around the outside of the house on several occasions looking at it I do not recall seeing the coal shute from the outside of the house, am I missing something here is is all of this correct?

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:24 pm
by BenTheRat
Richard,yes everything is correct as our your assumptions. You did not see anything that looked like a coal chute from the outside. Now that you know it is there, you could go look again a bit closer if you want to.

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:04 am
by Occigon
Charles relaxes. "A coal chute. Shall we try prying off the boards and looking inside?"

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:29 am
by DetectiveSocks
Jordie shrugs mildly interested, "Leave no stone unturned," she looks around for a crowbar.

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:18 am
by DrVendetta
Richard pulls the crowbar from his satchel thanking himself for coming prepared to the house this time and starts to remove the boards

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:28 am
by DrPeterson
"I don't think it would hurt to turn on one of those lights."

Harrison tries to turn one on and aims it at the working men.

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:32 pm
by BenTheRat
The lights are already on. You easily pull the boards off to the chute going up. It only goes up a few feet to the outer doors that should be visible on the ground next to the side of the house.

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:57 pm
by DrVendetta
"Nothing in here" Richard tells the others after investigating the coal shute

Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:33 pm
by DrPeterson
Harrison frowns.

"I'm wondering where our friend the ghost is. Anyone have an idea?"

Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:41 pm
by DetectiveSocks
Puzzled, Jordie flips through the pages of Chapel of Contemplation - Official Minutes and reads through the small footnotes she's made in the book. "Where else could you entomb a body?" Jordie mutters to herself.

Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:57 pm
by Silver Priest
Michael looks uneasy. "I saw some blood dripping from the ceiling in one of the bedrooms, so its still here. Something's not right though. The last time we were in here the ghost made us believe the house was on fire, moved the stairs to cause us to fall down them, and possessed a knife to stab Warren with. Its being awfully quiet now. I don't like it."

Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:11 pm
by DrPeterson
"If the blood was dripping from the ceiling, maybe we should be looking up and not down. Did anyone check the attic?"

Harrison checks his pockets again.

"Sure nobody's got a cigarette?"

Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:34 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard reply's to Michael's statement "That's been bothering me as well, we have been here longer than any other time in the past and we have yet to have an event other then the illusions of the dirt from the front windows. Something is definietly different this time."

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:16 am
by BenTheRat
Richard,you may be confused on the windows. There were 4 windows on each side of the house. 2 on each side closer to the front. 1 of them you broke and dug the dirt out. 2 on each side closer to the back (shown in the drawing). 1 of them you broke also. You see that broken glass as shown in the drawing.

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:46 am
by DrVendetta
Richard starts to inspect the wall torwards the front of the house to check for any hidden doors or sliding sections, he also checks to see what material the wassis made of.

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:09 am
by BenTheRat
There are no hidden doors, but on closer inspection, this wood does look newer than what is on the other walls.

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:26 am
by DrVendetta
Richard says to everyone "This wall should be farther forward, this wall is newer then the rest"
Richard looks for a good place to use the crow bar to remove some of the wood from the wall.

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:56 am
by Occigon
Charles knocks experimentally on the wall, trying to hear if it's hollow.

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:41 am
by Papa Gateau
Sonny calls down from the top of the stairs "Howsit going down there? Do you need me down there? Is there enough room for another body?

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:33 pm
by BenTheRat
There is plenty of room for everyone down there.

Yes it does sound different knocking on this wall compared to the others.

It is not very hard to find some cracks to put a crowbar in.

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:22 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard tries to find some cracks that he believes line up with the other side of the object he hit from the window then starts to remos boards with his crowbar

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:39 pm
by Priest
Ben,Scott is still standing at the door waiting for an answer.

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:49 pm
by BenTheRat
Scott,my bad sorry. That door has never been opened.
As Richard starts to pry one of the boards loose, you hear a lot of squeeking and scratching.

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:12 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard says as he continues to pry the boards loose "You guys hear that?"

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:28 pm
by Priest
Scott leans back from the locked door and shouts to Sonny, hoping to catch him before he joins the crush in the basement, "Hey Sonny, any idea as to where this door leads, and why its locked?"

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:43 pm
by DrPeterson
"Rats!"

Harrison recoils to the middle of the room, standing clear of all exits, hoping he won't be in the creatures escape path.

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:25 am
by Occigon
OOC,Is the squeaking and scratching coming from behind the wall we're prying open or elsewhere?

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:56 am
by BenTheRat
ooc,yes it is coming from behind the wall he is prying open.

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:58 am
by DrVendetta
Richard peers behind the boardhe is prying loose from the end he is prying from trying to see what is behind the board.

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:15 am
by BenTheRat
As Richard starts to pull the board back, the scratching and squeaking stops. As he pulls his flashlight out and shine it into the gap he has made, he sees a small gap probably 6-8 inches before he sees another wooden wall.

Then a smell hits him like a ton of bricks. Its enough to cause you to gasp for a second. Then a mass of movement catches your eye. As your light scans down lower you see the hundreds of eyes peering back.

The SCREECHING drowns out everything as the board breaks and the hundreds of rats pour out of the space between the walls.
OOC,Richard, you need to make a Dex * 5 check or fall down, if you pass then you must make a luck check. Everyone else in the basement make a Luck check. Harrison, you can add +10% to your Luck for this roll.

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:12 am
by Silver Priest
Michael lets out a startled gasp as the vermin emerge.
Spoiler:

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:51 am
by DetectiveSocks
Jordie lets out a loud shriek as she begins to recoil away from the source, as the rats pour into the basement. Of the time spent at the impoverished children's home and dwelling in abandoned homes, Jordie could never get used to seeing rats.
Luck 55%,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4406874/]Success 23%[/url]

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:11 am
by DrVendetta
Ben,dex roll*5 [dice]0[/dice] luck check [dice]1d/100[/dice]

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:15 am
by DrVendetta
ben,ok lets try the luck in another post and see if it works luck roll [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:13 am
by DrPeterson
Luck +10%=65%--balls,[dice]0[/dice]

Despite his anticipation of the rodent outpour, Harrison doesn't manage to get out of the way.

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:21 am
by Priest
Scott's contemplation of the door is rudely interupted by a female scream from below. He looks to where Sonny had been standing in the basement doorway, and can no longer see him.
"What's happening...Is anyone hurt?" he shouts and takes off for the basement doorway at a run.

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:52 pm
by Occigon
Luck roll,Luck=7 - SUCCESS http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4407017/
Charles gives a startled yell, leaps back, but quickly collects himself. "They don't have wings, they don't have wings.... I saw bigger rats in Notre Dame," he mutters, trying to convince himself.

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:21 pm
by Papa Gateau
Sonny begins to descend the stairs "what's happening guys? what's all the hollerin about

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:16 pm
by Occigon
"RATS!"

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:30 pm
by BenTheRat
Sonny as you are half way down the stairs you hear Charles yell rats as you see several hundred start up the stairs at you.

There is no way they are going to miss you if you stay on the stairs and you do not have time to run back up. If you want to jump over the railing, make a dex*4 check to see if you can do it before the rats get to you. Or if you have another plan let me know.

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:55 pm
by Papa Gateau
Sonny thinking:   rats? they;'re screamin' and hollerin' cos of rats? man rats ain't nothin' see plenty of those big wet boys down on the docks, sheesh I grew up with rats in Orleans  
Sonny will stand there and let the river of rats run past him, he isn't frightened of them.

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:12 pm
by BenTheRat
Richard falls to the ground as the board he was leaning on gives out and is swarmed over by the rats.
Harrison tried to get out of the way but a hesitation of panic he ends up stepping right in their way as they swarm around him, and up his legs.
Sonny standing on the stairs is also swarmed around and up the legs of these menaces.

The rest of you are able to move out of the way of the horde.
ooc,attack vs Richard failing dex and luck, *2 target = 30%: [dice]0[/dice][dice]1[/dice] . Attack vs Harrison: [dice]2[/dice] . Attack vs Sonny: [dice]3[/dice]
While the rats swarmed over and around, no one suffered any damage.

Scott, you see a large horde of rats escape from the basement and flow into the kitchen and some upstairs. None come your way.

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:00 pm
by DrPeterson
Harrison screams out as the rats swarm over him, he tries beating them off as he frantically prances through the cellar.

"Fuck! I fucking hate rats!"

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:33 pm
by Priest
Seeing the rats swarm from the basement, Scott decides discretion is the better part of valour and quickly turns around and rushes outside.
Scott thinking:   When it calms down I'll go back in.  

Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:22 am
by DrVendetta
Richard scrambles to his feet determined to keep his concentration during the rats stampede.

Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:18 pm
by BenTheRat
As the sounds and dust settle, the rats are gone, and from first glance no one looks worse for wear.
Richard,make a spot hidden check
Scott,you run outside and its a strange feeling of dread and relief sweep over you. None of the rats go your way, and after a second you can't see anymore rats.

Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:36 pm
by DrVendetta
Ben,spot hidden roll [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:07 pm
by BenTheRat
Richard,After you stand up you notice something odd on the new wall you revealed by pulling back broken board. There are some odd carvings on the wood. It takes a second to make out as they have started to fade. But it says [i]Chapel of Contemplation[/i].

Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:11 pm
by Priest
Failing to see any evidence of the rats rushing his way, Scott, taking a deep breath, renters the house. Forcing an unconcerned note to his voice, as if seeing a swarm of rats boiling up from the basement of a reputedly haunted house was an everyday occurence, Scott calls out, "Everyone okay?"

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:09 am
by Occigon
"Alright here," says Charles. "But I just can't wait to see what else is behind that wall," he finishes grimly, as he steps closer to the hole.

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:32 am
by DrVendetta
Richard says "The back of the board say's Chapel of Contempaltion on it" and tosses it to the ground to the side and then starts removing boards until he has removed emough to start digging with his shovel and pick towards the item he ran into from the window.

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:46 am
by BenTheRat
OOC:   no there is a 12 inch gap between the board you broke down and another wood wall. The carving is on the newly revealed wood wall.  

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:36 pm
by DrPeterson
"Well, I guess that supports our hypothesis..."

Harrison looks around, wary for more rats.

"Can you see anything else?"

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:30 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard contiues to remove boards to get to the second wall

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:54 pm
by BenTheRat
After removing 3-4 more boards you have a nice little entry way. There is about a 12" gap and then a new wall is there. With the extra light everyone can now see the carving on the wall.

In the 12" gap there is a bunch of liter, trash and rat droppings. The smell is pretty bad.

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:19 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard uses hisshovel to start moving the trash out of the way so he can start on the boards on the second wall. He gives the trash a quick once over as he is shoveling it out of the way for any thing that looks unusual.

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:45 pm
by Papa Gateau
Sonny continues to the bottom of the stairs and to the basement, he fingers his trumpet gingerly and watches the others as they dismantle the false wall.

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:29 pm
by Silver Priest
Michael is on edge. If anything he greets the rats appearance with relief. Not that he's a big fan of them, but rats were knowable. They were not flying knives.
He watches quietly, the suspense building as Richard starts removing more boards.

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:13 pm
by Priest
Keeping a wary eye open for another burst of rodents, Scott makes his way to the basement doorway. He peers down the stairs noting the shadows of his companions thrown by the large lights.
For a moment he considers making his way down to join the others, then shakes his head,
Scott thinking:   No, I may be of more help up here if the shit hits the fan.  
He eyes the safety rope realising that in the event of a fast exodus from below, his strength may be more usefull at this end.
He glances warily around, the house was giving him a bad case of the shivers.

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:37 pm
by BenTheRat
As Richard pulls the first board back, the nails screeching in the quiet, another room is on the other side.
It is dark and silent as if time has stood still here.

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:01 am
by Occigon
"Let's get some lights over here," Charles whispers urgently.

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:55 am
by Papa Gateau
Sonny raises his trumpet to his lips, not really sure what he may need to play but prepared to improvise should there be any kind of notes, chanting, sounds coming from the secret room

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:45 pm
by DrPeterson
Harrison drags one of the lights closer, helping to cast a light into the darkness.

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:40 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard peers into the room for a better look once the lights are brought in closer.

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:06 pm
by BenTheRat
You drag the large laterns closer to the opening. But as you lean in to look closer your shadow blocks most of the detail of the room. You can see it is a large room, easily the same size as the one you are in. There appears to be an alter or table in the middle of the room.
You must either remove more boards, or go into the room to see any more details. The opening isn't big enough for you to squeeze through you would need to remove at least 1 more board, maybe 2 for the biggest in the group.

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:23 pm
by DrVendetta
Seeing that no one is going to be able to get in Richard removes enough boards to make it easy for them to get in and out of the hidden room.

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:54 pm
by BenTheRat
You remove a couple more boards. Now you have a large enough hole to get enough light in to see better. The room looks like he hasn't be disturbed in decades. A thick layer of dust covers everything. There is an old desk off to the right against the wall. And a large table lays in the middle of the room.
There is something on the table, that is covered by a sheet, covered in dust.

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:59 am
by DrVendetta
"Ok this must be the place so what do we do now?" says Richard as he turns and looks to Charles and the others

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:42 am
by Occigon
"In we go," says Charles in such a low voice that he can barely hear himself, and steps into the room.

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:42 am
by BenTheRat
As you step into the dark room, only lighted by the large lanterns in the other room. As you turn on your flashlight, the light dims and goes out.
A small cloud of dust stretches up your leg with every step, like its grabbing a hold of you, wanting to pull you down into the dust.
On the desk is an old looking book.
You can see now as your eyes adjust the sheet appears to cover something in the shape of possibly a body. It is a bit hard to tell. It is not moving.
There are no windows in this room, and no other adornments of any kind.

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:20 am
by Occigon
"Don't leave me alone in here, guys," says Charles, his voice shaking. "Someone get in here - and someone tear off some more boards so that we get more light in here. My flashlight just went out and I doubt it's a coincidence."

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:08 am
by Silver Priest
"Calm down. We're all in this together." The way Michael says it, it sounds regretful.

Michael enters the room, his gun drawn. He leaves the book for Harrison (who seemed interested in such things) and approaches the table. Very cautious, he grabs the bottom of the sheet and takes a peek at what is underneath.

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:01 am
by Papa Gateau
Sonny steps forward into the seconds chamber, his trumpet poised by his lips.

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:01 am
by DrPeterson
Harrison helps tear away some more boards and if possible get another light shining in.

"What's the title of that book, guys?", he asks as he helps remove the boards.

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:44 am
by DetectiveSocks
Watching all the men do the heavy lifting, Jordie leans over the desk and gives a big puff of air over the book, rubbing the rest of the dust with the sleeve of her coat.

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:09 pm
by BenTheRat
Michael grabs the dusty sheet. It has a stiffness to it like it has been saturated with sweat over and over and just left to dry.
As you raise it up you can see the shriviled corpse underneath.
Michael,you would need to lift the sheet higher or remove it to get a better view.
As you blow the dust away, you stifle a cough. The dust here is older than you. You don't see a title on the leather bound book, so you rub it with your elbow. You don't see anything new on there, but just touching the cover, you feel the book shift unnaturally under your arm, and flakes of dried paper fall out of the book between the covers.
OOC,At this point I have Michael, Jordie, Sonny and Charles in the room. If you are in the inner room. Please let me know where everyone is at.

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:28 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard is still in the main part of the basement removing boards with his crow bar in order to widen the opening to let more light in. He is keeping a watchfull eye on what is going on in the hidden room as he is removing the boards. After he has gotten the opening to the hidden room enlarged he will move one of the lights to the opening so it shines into the room to help increase the visibility in the room.

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:35 pm
by Priest
Scott still waits at the top of the stairs to the basement, he hears the trepidation in Charles' voice.
"What's happening guys?"
Nonchalantly he pulls the heavy pistol from his coat pocket and checks the magazine. He glances over his shoulder just to be sure no one is creeping up on him.

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:15 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard yells up to Scott as he continues to enlarge the entrance to the hidden room "Come on down the rat invasion is over and we have discovered a whole new hidden section to the basement"

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:22 pm
by Silver Priest
Michael has seen enough corpses from his work as a cop, but it's still not a pleasant sight. He turns around and loudly whispers to the others.

"There's a body over here. Looks like it's been dead for awhile."

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:18 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard reply's "Do you think its Corbitt?" as he continues workingon the entrance

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:39 pm
by DrPeterson
Harrison is assisting Richard with the boards.

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:44 am
by Occigon
Charles is in the inner room, looking closely to see if there's anything lying on the floor - say, a knife - and keeping his distance from the book.

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:55 am
by BenTheRat
The boards are coming off easy enough at this point. You have a nice entry way tore out.

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:09 am
by DrVendetta
"Help me move this light to get it shinning directly into the hidden room Harrison" then he and Harrison (unless he objects) moves the lights to shine directly into the room but makes sure that they keep it far enough back to allow a quick exit by all if needed.

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:12 am
by DetectiveSocks
Coughing in hysterical fit Jordie fans the dust away from her face. Squinting her eyes, her elbow gave weight carelessly and the book wheezed it's last breath, flakes of paper spit out. Hesitation held Jordie's breath, as she was tempted to flip the cover and resuscitate the attention that it deserved. Her appetite for books got the best of Jordie and without a second thought for what eldritch horror lay inside, she pinched the front cover delicately in fear of it's poor condition, and read the first page.

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:02 am
by Silver Priest
"I don't know if its Corbitt, the guy does not exactly have a nametag on him. I'm going to pull this sheet off to get a better look, so brace yourselves."

Having said that, Michael begins to tug the sheet off and examine the body in greater detail.

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:07 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard pulls out both of his pistols hearing that they are getting ready to uncover the body, preparing for what may happen next.

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:01 pm
by Priest
From below Scott hears a dragging sound, then Richard's voice. Casting a last glance over his shoulder, he begins to carefully descend the stairs holding tight to the safety rope.
From below the excited chatter of other voices seems to show that they must have found something.
Scott thinking:   I just hope it's not another flying knife.  

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:02 pm
by BenTheRat
Holding tight to the rope you manage to work your way down the stairs without incident. As you get to the bottom you see Richard and Harrison moving the light over to the entrance and then relight it. (I assume you turned it off to move it, it would be too hot otherwise.)
Jordie opens the cover but the ink on the first page is so faded as to not be legible. It appears it was some sort of title page.
Michael pulls back the sheet. The figure still covered in shadows until Richard reignites the large lantern in the entranceway.
The body upon the table is a drawn, wooden-looking figure of six feet. He is skinny and naked with a ghastly look to him. His open eyes are saucer-like and his nose is like a knife blade. He has lost all hair and his shrunkin gums make his teeth look extra long. His fingers are also elongated and his nails look like claws of a beast. A sharp sweet scent of rotten corn eminates from him.
This peacefulness only lasted a second as the light spread over him giving you a rare view of a person in such a state.
Then he shoots up to a sitting position and screeches out in an inhuman howl that permeates the room. He is easily visible to all in both rooms.
YES, CORBITT LIVES!!
ooc,everyone needs to make a sanity 1/1d8 check. If you pass you suffer 1 point, if you fail you suffer 1d8.
As Corbitt sits up his claws rakes over Michaels chest.
attack,target = 50%: [dice]0[/dice]
Even though Michael was close and surprised, he managed to step just far enough away to avoid the arm swimging up.
ooc,A new round is starting. If you passed or suffered less than 5 points from a failure on the sanity check you may act this round. His dex is rather low, so everyone do their actions, roll for any attacks and damage. Assume point blank range for everyone so double your chances to hit, 95+ still misses.

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:18 pm
by Priest
As the unearthly howl fills the basement, Scott watches as, if in slow motion, a horrid form raises itself to a sitting position. With a cold sweat suddenly beading his forehead Scott raises the .45...
San Roll,55% 1d100 → [20] = (20) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4413347/ Success so 1 point san loss.
Firing my pistol,50% to hit (pistol) Doubled point blank: 1d100 → [24] = (24) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4413356/ Damage:1d10+2 → [6,2] = (8) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4413357/

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:11 pm
by Silver Priest
Michael screams as the dead thing rises the wrongness of it briefly terrifying him. Luckily for him, his brain immediately goes into crisis mode, as it had so many times during his time on the force. On instinct, he lifts his gun up and fires a bullet into the perpetrator, hoping to neutralize the threat.
Spoiler:

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:51 pm
by DetectiveSocks
Lost in the antiquity of the book, Jordie jumped in shock as she heard a howl echo in the room. Whipping her Mauser around and leaning the stock into her shoulder, she had hoped the light would help extinguish the horrid figure sitting up. In disbelief, the muzzle flashed and Jordie closed her eyes as the first shot missed it's mark. She squeezed another round while still blinded, and finally hit what was there.
Sanity Check 55%,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4413402/]Success 15%[/url]
Handgun(x2) 60%,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4413432/]1st shot 77% Failure; 2nd shot 22% Success[/url]
Handgun Damage 1d8+2,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4413448/]10 dmg points[/url]
OOC,I haven't played in combat for awhile, and I think my second shot takes place at 1/2 DEX Turn in the 1st round I believe. Don't have my books with me at the moment, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:58 pm
by BenTheRat
Jordie,yes you would be correct. It goes, guns that are ready. Then dex, then 1/2 dex. His dex is so low, I wanted to make it easier for everyone if you just do all your attacks, then I'll do his if he is still up. ;)

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:28 pm
by Silver Priest

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:38 am
by DetectiveSocks
OOC BenTheRat,You make it sound so [i]easy[/i] :roll:

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:41 am
by Occigon
Sanity Check,Roll = 40 - PASS http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4413692/
As Corbitt sits up and screeches, Charles replies with a startled yell of his own. Getting a hold of himself, he throws himself to the ground to avoid the gunfire and shouts out, "Scott, get down here! Now!"

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:35 am
by Papa Gateau
San check,San[51]: fail http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4414050/ San loss: 7 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4414051/
Sonny stands staring at the figure as it screams into life. His trumpet poised by his lips, forgotten. Shock drains the color form his face

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:37 pm
by Priest
Ears ringing from the loudness of gunfire in a confined area, nose assailed by the sharp smell of cordite, Scott shouts back at Charles. "Already here"

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:51 pm
by BenTheRat
Sonny,make an idea check, you want to fail.
ooc,as soon as Dr V and Dr P post on their actions, we can move on.
Michael,I have you at only 5 hit points. Did you get healed and I forgot to update you?
Jordie,FYI, you roll sanity on your current sanity. You put 55 as your target, when it should have been 50. Now its 49. You still passed easily, but wanted to let you know. On your character sheets, I'm keeping track of your sanity and hit points.
Charles,I have you at 6 hit points. Did you not get first aid after your last injury? Or did I forget to update you?

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:15 pm
by Occigon
Ben - OOC,Hmm, I think it's possible I didn't. Couldn't find the reference, in any case, so let's presume I didn't.

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:29 pm
by Silver Priest
ooc,I think I never used first aid after Michael's latest tumble down the stairs, so he's probably only at five.

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:22 am
by DrVendetta
+++ Sorry for the Delay +++

Richard who had prepared for this type of event takes a shot at Corbitt
Sanity Roll,[dice]0[/dice]
Shot with gun Roll,[dice]1d/100[/dice]

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:25 am
by DrVendetta
second try at shot roll,not sure why the previous post would not do the second roll so I will try here [dice]1d/100[/dice]

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:27 am
by DrPeterson
OOC:,Jeez, I'm away for a day and pandemonium is unleashed :D
San roll,[dice]0[/dice]

Harrison swears and fumbles in his pockets for the vial. He takes a few steps back, away from all the people wielding guns and focusses on Corbitt's corpse as summons the words to mind.

Having dipped his finger in the potion, Harrison draws a strange symbol on his hand and starts chanting.

"Ego in virtute Yog-Sogoth et siti, inimica mea usque ad mortem"

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:39 am
by DrVendetta
Ben,not sure why i cant get the dice to work here so i went to invisible castle for the gun roll [url]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4414963/[/url] this is a success

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:04 am
by BenTheRat
Dr V,you are putting it in as 1d/100 and it should be 1d100. Roll damage, and you get a 2nd shot as well.
Harrison,you actually draw it on your hand, not in the air. This version of the spell cost you 4 magic points and costs 1d6 sanity. You must also make a magic point resistance check vs Corbitt. You need to roll low for this to work.

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:09 am
by DrVendetta
Ben,thx for figuring out my issue LOL my damage roll for the 1st shot that hit is [dice]0[/dice]
second shot,roll to hit [dice]1[/dice] this was a hit as well here is the damage roll [dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:12 am
by DrVendetta
Richard shoots twice and puts to slugs into Corbitt

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:56 pm
by DrPeterson
Sanity loss,[dice]0[/dice]
Magic point resistance,[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:04 pm
by BenTheRat
The hail storm of bullets rocks the small room. The sound deafening. Sonny's trumpet is limp in his arm as he is mumbling incoherently. Harrison is speaking in Latin.
After a few seconds you notice the bullets are falling to the ground and not even hitting him.
He leaps off the table, right in front of Michael. A look of delight crosses his face as he looks around. His dried up husk of a tongue comes out and appears to be licking his lips in an odd way.
OOC:   Attacks, 2 attacks on Michael. 50% x 2: [dice]0[/dice],
2nd attack [dice]1[/dice]  
Michael screams out in pain as one of his dirty claws rips into his midsection.
damage,2d3+1d4 = [dice]2[/dice] + [dice]3[/dice]
Then Michael slumps into Corbitts arms as the horrid creature bites into his neck and appears to be drinking his blood.

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:41 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC:   Next is what I call the combat plan phase. Between rounds, since you are so close together. You can post a couple of short sentences to either role-play or suggest a plan of action.
I am still waiting on Sonny to make his idea roll. I'll do it for him this evening if he doesn't do it by then. It would change nothing for this round. As he would need the previous round come out of it anyway. But if he fails his roll he may act next round.
I will also answer some questions here if it's something I think your character could determine in the heat of the moment.
Finally, all of you just witnessed a violent death of your friend Michael. That's a Sanity 0/d6 check.
RIP Michael. Sorry Silver Priest, you might have lived had you gotten first aid after your previous injury.  

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:48 pm
by Papa Gateau
OOC,Idea[70]: 18 pass http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4415575/ San[43], fail http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4415577/ San loss: 3 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4415579/

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:41 pm
by Silver Priest
RIP,Oh well, fun while it lasted. Good luck everyone. Try to avoid a TPK. :cry:

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:54 pm
by DrVendetta
Sanity roll,[dice]0[/dice] which failed so here is the sanity damage [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:26 pm
by Priest
Scott, feeling terror rising within him screams at Sonny, who is limply holding his trumpet, "For Christ's sake blow the bloody thing!"
Sanity Roll,should read 54% (lost 1 last round)1d100 → [17] = (17) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4415689/

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:42 pm
by BenTheRat
Sonny,tough break man. You actually wanted to fail the Idea roll. As it is, you completely understand the significance of what Corbitt is and what is going on. You have lost it and are incapable of performing useful actions. You have broken down and are talking in a hysterical manner and laughing out loud.
Richard,Since you suffered 5 sanity points you are suffering from temp insanity. This round you will be working out what happened and you need to make an idea roll. This is the one roll you want to fail.

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:09 pm
by DrVendetta
Idea roll,[dice]0[/dice] ok so it looks like i am coo coo for coco puffs

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:35 pm
by BenTheRat
Dr. V,no this is what you wanted. Your idea is a 60. You failed which is what you wanted. I'll give you more feedback about what happened to you later.

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:20 am
by DrVendetta
Ben,Kool let me know as I am lost on what happened there

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:27 am
by BenTheRat
As everyone is stunned for a second, Corbitt pulls his hand out of Michael's stomach. His intestines spilling on the floor. Corbitt drops Michael to the floor, his blood still wet on Corbitt's teeth and face. Then looks over at the rest of you.
Richard,The horror of seeing your friend killed was more than Richard could stand for a minute. It took a few seconds for you to realize, it must be a trick. You've seen cons like this before. Michael might be hurt, but you are sure that's not his guts on the floor. OOC: you must spend the next round working this through your head, so you can't shoot next round, but you can do some role-play. Yelling hystericly would be in order.

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:22 am
by DrVendetta
Richard stands stunned at the sight of the gutting of Micheal yelling over and over again "Dear God No, Michael"

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:38 am
by Priest
With both Sonny and Richard losing it, and Michael tossed to the floor like an old rag Scott lines up his pistol once more, even though he realises the pointlessness of it.
Scott thinking:   Oh shit I hope the others have some sort of plan.  
Again the heavy .45 booms out...
Firing,normal is 50% but I'm guessing point blank 1d100 → [66] = (66) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4416435/ Damage 1d10+2: 1d10+2 → [10,2] = (12) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4416436/ 12 points but I'm guessing that it does nothing.

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:08 am
by Occigon
OOC,Ben, is the light from the main basement strikign Corbitt or not?

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:10 am
by Occigon
Sanity Roll,Roll = 48 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4416552/ Just for clarification: I test against my current sanity, not my original sanity, is that right? Because it started at 55 and is now 44, so in one case I succeeded, in the other I failed. Presuming I failed... Sanity Loss = 1 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4416560/

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:37 pm
by BenTheRat
The light is definitely shining on Corbitt. This is why you can see the details so clearly.
OOC,yes you roll from your current sanity. So 44, you only lost 1 point that time, so the next time it will be 43. etc...
ooc,we can go ahead and start the next round. Feel free to take actions everyone.

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:33 pm
by DrVendetta
Ben,am I acting this round or am I still confused from what I saw?

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:08 pm
by BenTheRat
Richard,you may NOT act this round. You are in shock over your friends death and lose a round. you work it through and may act the next round. Remember a round is less than 5 seconds. it just seems like a long time here.

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:31 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard continues to stand motionless in shock staring at Michaels intestends laying on the floor quietly mumbling to himself "no please lord don't let this be happening"

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:04 pm
by Priest
Ben,I jumped the gun there slightly my shot was this round :D

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:24 pm
by BenTheRat
Priest,no problem, I got it. But I wanted you guys to have a chance to maybe come up with a plan for this round, but if you want to keep shooting, that is fine with me.

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:43 pm
by DrPeterson
Sanity for seeing some gut-wrenching action,[dice]0[/dice]
San damage,[dice]1[/dice]

Harrison swears loudly, looking frantically around the basement for some deus ex machina and then his eye falls on one of the big fuel-powered lights. He pulls the stopper from the fuel tank and pushes the thing over, so the petrol guzzles out against the woodwork of the building.

"Get the fuck out of there!", he yells, as he fishes for his matches.

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:44 am
by Occigon
Bad enough to see the misshapen Corbitt rise from the table; much worse to see his attack on Michael. Charles is sick to his stomach and acutely conscious of being unarmed. Hearing Harrison's cry, he scampers towards the outer basement and the stairs up tot he house.

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:01 pm
by Priest
As Scott pulls the trigger on his pistol he hears Harrison's warning,
"Jesus, No!! Run for it"

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:01 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC,just waiting on Jordie to make her actions and I'd love to see Sonny role-played a bit. And we can move forward.
Charles heads for the entryway to get out of the hidden room.
Richard is standing there his gun held limply in his hand trying to work out what the hell just happened.
Jordie is trying to decide if she should shoot again, grab the book or just run, she is also in the hidden room.
Sonny is in the hidden room with Corbitt laughing outloud at how hopeless your whole situation is, and that you are all going to die.
Scott is closest to the stairs and is ready to run up them.
Harrison is in the process of dumping over one of the lanterns in preparation of torching the whole place.
Takes a round to dump it and empty it, so you can't light it till next round.

And well Michael...

"Things are not going well for you guys," said Mr. Obvious.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:48 am
by DetectiveSocks
A handful of bullets wasn't enough to rip Corbitt to pieces. Watching sleeping beauty wake from it's slumber and kiss prince charming, Jordie's chest inflates in erratic motion and trembled the pistol with a death grip. A funhouse follows a chronological order of scares, nothing deviates from its linear course. Hoping this was the last scare and no tricks laid in ambush around the corner; her hands moved on their own, and Jordie quickly snatched the book off the table and makes for a quick escape. The unfamiliar fumes of cordite filled Jordie's lungs and bizarrely smelled like nail polish.
Sanity Check 49%,[list][*][url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4419313/]Failure 50%[/url][/list] [list][*][url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4419316/]Sanity Loss 1[/url][/list]

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:29 pm
by BenTheRat
Jordie grabs the book and as she picks it up she can feel the pages shift inside the book. A lot of paper crumbles out as she follows Charles past Sonny who is still laughing and Richard who is screaming.
Another round rings out from Scott and looks like a sure kill shot. But somehow it is deflected and barely grazes his shoulder. Though you can see a piece of his skin fall off from it. But not nearly enough damage to slow him down.
For a corpse he moves with lightning speed across the small inner sanctum in front of Richard and takes a swipe with one of his claws.
attack,target = 50%: [dice]1[/dice]
He misses but the foul stench of Corbitt's breath seems to shake Richard out of his stuppor.
OOC ALL,At this point everyone is out of the hidden room except Sonny. Richard is in the entryway. The 2nd lantern has been dumped over and kerosene is spilling out onto the floor and up on the wood of basement. However, most of it is soaking into the ground. There is a lot on the debris in the room as well. . Everyone is free to act including Richard this round, except for Sonny who is still laughing hysterically at the futility of your situation.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:45 pm
by Priest
Seeing his last shot have the same effect as all the others, Scott turns on his heel and runs up the stairs...

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:46 am
by DrVendetta
Richard takes off for the stairs as well thinking to himself this can't be real, it can't be I hit him, Scott hit him and nothing happened, this just can't be real.

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:30 pm
by DrPeterson
OOC,I'm assuming Harrison's done with the kerosene, if not this'll be my action for next round.
Harrison finished emptying the kerosene tanks, slashing as much as he can on the woodwork. He then takes out his lighter and throws it into the kerosene, before running off as fast as he can.

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:41 pm
by Occigon
"SONNY!" yells Charles, looking back at him. He picks up a small piece of debris from the ground, throws it at Sonny, hoping to snap him out of it. At that same time, he sings the popular tune that Sonny had surprised them all with when he last arrived at the museum. Charles is singing with more volume than precision, but he hopes that the familiar song will help Sonny snap out of his reverie.

LA-LA-LA-LA-LAH!

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:58 pm
by BenTheRat
The small piece of debris flies through the air and smacks Sonny in the arm. He stops laughing for just a second sensing the danger around him.
Sonny,you may make an idea roll (70%). If you pass you may act freely this round. If you fail you will fall back into your laughing hysterics.
Harrison is trying to splash the kerosene on the wood, but inadvertantly gets some on his hands as well.
Harrison,make a luck roll for me to keep from catching yourself on fire in the process.
the Kerosene catches quick and the building begins to burn.

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:38 pm
by DrPeterson
Luck,[dice]0[/dice]

Harrison manages to avoid getting soaked by the kerosene and as the flames spread, he looks up at Sonny and yells:

"Get the fuck out, Sonny!!! Run!"

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:23 pm
by Papa Gateau
Luck,[70] - 83 FAIL http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4423019/
Sonny finally stops laughing uncontrollably and takes in his situation. He makes a dash for the door - leaping through the flames, desperate to leave the horror that is Corbett behind

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:02 pm
by BenTheRat
Corbitt hesitates for a second when he sees the fire engulf one wall of his Sanctuary and starts to quickly spread.
With a howl of rage he runs after the fleeing investigators and takes a swipe at the person in the rear as all of you quickly try to ascend the stairs as fast as possible.
attack,there is a lot of confusion of who is scrambling for the stairs. Scott was by it, so I'm leaving him out. Harrison lit the fire then ran so 2x chance. Richard just ran so 1 chance, Jordie picked up book and ran so 2x chance. Sonny woke up then ran so 2x chance. Charles threw debris then ran, so 2x chance. So rolling a d9: 1-2=Harrison, 3-4 = Jordie, 5-6 = Scott, 7-8 = Sonny, 9 = Richard. person attacked = [dice]0[/dice] Attack target = 50%: [dice]1[/dice]
Sonny's small size saved him. He was the last to wake up and get to the stairs, but Corbitt hesitated too much and missed him.
Corbitt stops at the bottom of the stairs and howls up as the 6 of you make it out of the basement and into the hall. You can smell smoke as the house is starting to burn.

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:56 pm
by Priest
First up the stairs, Scott isn't stopping until he gets out side. Once outside he stops rests his hands upon his knees and coughs raw and breathlessly.
He isn't sure what he saw down there, and he's not sure he wants to know.

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:08 pm
by DrVendetta
As Richard gets up the stairs he thankfull to be awat from Corbitt but is starting to think about what a huge mistake lighting the fire may have been. They werent authorized to "Burn" the house down and what were they going to tell the cops and fire depaertment when they showed up?

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:24 am
by DrPeterson
Harrison runs up the stairs and out into the hall, his hand already on the front door.

"Let's get the hell out of here, guys."

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:22 am
by Occigon
Charles joins the general stampede out of the house. "So much for a plan," he pants.

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:51 am
by Papa Gateau
Sonny follows everyone up the stairs, as fast as he can can.

Shut the door, lock that monster down there!

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:20 pm
by DrVendetta
As Richard gets outside with everyone else he just keeps going over everything in his mind. There is something here that is clearly not right, his shots clearly hit Corbit, a few other shots clearly hit Corbitt, but all with no effect..... he starts wondering if he is starting to suffer from halucinations. He starts to look around for any sign of the rat stampede that left the house.

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:04 pm
by BenTheRat
Sonny makes it to the top of the stairs, he could hear Corbitt howling behind him. The sound of his footsteps, he would swear was only 1-2 steps behind him. Everyone else was up the stairs already and Scott was already at the front door urging the others to hurry up.
The smell of smoke was everywhere in the house now and was flowing up from the quickly spreading inferno from below.
Sonny spins has he makes it though the door and slams it shut. The howling echoing in their brains was only slightly muffled by the now closed door. He quickly slides 2 of the dead bolts into place and sprints for the front door.
The 6 of you stumble out the front door and shut it behind you as well, then collapse into the front yard. No one is on the street. It is late evening already, much later than you would have thought it should have been.
It started slow, first with black oily smoke mixed in with a lot of white smoke. Then a flicker of flame coming out a window. Then as if turned on by a switch the whole house went up like a match being struck. The heat was so intense you were forced to move back to the cars.
ooc,this is over a few minutes, so if someone wants to do something between getting to the top of the stairs and this, let me know and we can write it in.

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:34 am
by DrVendetta
Richard looks to ensure that everyone has made it out then says "Maybe we should head out before the authorities show up"

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:03 pm
by Priest
Scott shakes his head, "That might not be a good idea. Once they find remains in the ruins, the cops will be all over this and too many people have seen us around here"
Scott nods towards the tobacco seller.

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:01 pm
by BenTheRat
The tobacco seller is not currently there. His stand is locked up.

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:32 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard responds "So what are we going to tell the authorities when they get here, we went in and saw a man rise from the dead and then we burned down the house?"

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:13 pm
by Priest
Scott shrugs, "I've no idea, perhaps Michael started the fire by accident. We tried to get to him but the fire took hold to fast. He was down in the basement alone, so none of us can really say what happened. That way we know nothing when the cops find two bodies down there - if they do of course"
Again Scott shrugs, "It's just that I don't fancy seeing my mug on a wanted poster"

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:29 pm
by DrPeterson
Harrison, half out of breath from fleeing the house, shrugs.

"We could tell them we were investigating the house for a private buyer, but then one of our lights malfunctioned and caused the blaze. That, or we could just get the hell out of here."

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:42 pm
by Papa Gateau
Sonny looks around the group "We gotta get outta here, well I gotta get outta here, a black boy from the deep south be an easy collar for the keystones. I ain't hanging around.

We's being paid to investigate the house - not burn it down, can't see us getting paid for solving a problem by burning it down.

If any you want to come with me I'm going back the museum - I don't want to see the inside of a cell

he heads off towards one of the cars.

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:32 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard starts walking towards the cars as well and chooses to follow Harrison and get in the same car as him. Saying softly to him as they are going to the cars, "I have a little experiment to check on I would like you to be a part of. It should only take a minute on the way back to the museum."

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:06 pm
by BenTheRat
As you are discussing fleeing the scene or sticking around a car drives by, and you hear sirens in the distance. They sound like they are getting closer.
You also notice a couple people at the corner grocer out on the sidewalk looking at the fire.
ooc,if you are leaving please let me know and where you are going. If you are staying please state that as well.

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:00 am
by Occigon
Charles heads off with Sonny.

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:05 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard gets in a car and shouts out "If you are leaving you need to get in now" After waiting a moment for others to get in Richard drives off to the musem making sure he is not being followed.

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:06 pm
by DetectiveSocks
Jordie shruggs her shoulders, "I guess there's no where else better to be, then jail." Though of course, there's one person out there she'd like to drop by and give him a piece of her mind.
OOC,Sorry for not posting, like usual busy with school but I always check up on what you guys are up to on my phone. Making a quick post to say I'm still alive.

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:37 pm
by DrPeterson
Harrison rides with Richard.

"You don't have any cigarettes, do you? What's the experiment?"

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:48 pm
by BenTheRat
Jordie,so were you staying and waiting for the cops/firemen, or are you going with the others? Your post wasn't real clear.

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:19 pm
by DrVendetta
OOC:   If Jordie chose to leave you can have her in the car with Harrison and I but I believe we have 3 cars there I cant rember  
Richard reply's to Harrison "Sorry I don't smoke so a don't have any cigaretes. I want to drive around for a few minutes then drive back and see if the house is still on fire. I have a feeling it may not be and this is all some type of illusion or mind trick being played on us. I just want someone else to be with me when we go back so I am not the only one to witness it if it is true."

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:21 am
by DetectiveSocks
OOC,Oh oops, haha. I guess that comma placement makes it seem awkward. Yes, I'm going with everybody else.

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:48 am
by BenTheRat
Scott's standing there, "Crap I think we should stay guys. But I sure as hell ain't staying here alone." He goes and gets in the car with Sonny and Charles.
As you pull away you pass a fire truck and police car heading to the scene. The fire truck stops and starts battling the scene, but it looks pretty useless.
Richard-Harrison-Jordie,as the 3 of you turn the corner you circle around the block and come back by. When you come around again, you see the fire is still going on and the firemen are still fighting it.
Charles, Scott and Sonny head back to the museum. You get out of your car and head into the basement when you see the others pull up in their car. They obviously took a wrong turn to have been so far behind you.
When you walk into the basement Ms. Patton is sitting at her desk on the phone. "Yes I understand, yes, I'll let him know. Thank you."
She nods for you to head back to the lounge.
When you get there Dr. Chambers is in the room smoking a cigar and drinking a whiskey.

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:05 pm
by DrVendetta
"So much for mind tricks I guess its back to the museum" Richard says as he starts in the direction of the museum.

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:28 am
by DrPeterson
"I was pretty sure about that fire, man.", he says, still unhappy about his lack of cigarettes.

When they arrive at the museum, Harrison goes in, greets Mrs. P. and goes into the drawing room and pours himself a scotch.

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:23 pm
by DrVendetta
Richard walks over to pour himself a glass of tequila then sits down in a chair lays back and starts sipping on his tequlia "So why the hell did you start that fire?"

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:05 pm
by DrPeterson
Harrison looks at Richard incredulously.

I'm sorry, would you rather have us all there bleeding our lives out in that accursed basement? That thing wasn't going down by regular means, was it?

He downs his scotch and continues as he looks for something to smoke.

"Have you seen how easily that thing sliced through Michael?!"

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:53 am
by Occigon
"Well, we have no guarantee that the fire took care of it," Charles points out. "Good evening, Professor. We have quite a story for you..." And he begins to recount the group's latest adventures.

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:12 am
by BenTheRat
The doctor listens intently to everything you say.
ooc,please feel free to go into details about anything specific you want to share with the group. If there is anything specific you want to leave out please let me know.

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:00 am
by DrVendetta
After the others finish there recital of the events over the last week Richard speaks up "I still don't understand what happened to the Reverand and Phil who took off with the Reverands body from our first incident. I have a feeling that Phil may be a part of this whole story and on the wrong side of it. Working at the paper he could have helped to surpress some of the information in the papers. I mean what the hell would he have done with the Reverands body if he just wanted revenge he could have just burned it with Tom's"

Richard takes another sip of his tequila and looks back to the Professor and says "What do you know of this cult and the Reverand?"

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:13 pm
by DrPeterson
"Michael' s dead, that thing got up and tore him to shreds in a heartbeat. Nothing we tried could stop it."

He gesticulates as he explains, the strange pattern on his hand clearly visible.

"I want to know what that thing was, was it Corbitt? And if it was, how was it Corbitt?"

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:13 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC: My bad I should have switched to a new thread.

Please go here.