IC: Ch. 10 Back into the Breach...uh I mean House

The old Corbitt house is shrouded in dark rumours and fearful whispers. Its past residents have all had grisly experiences in there, and the few which are able to speak of it will not. Now, pulled in by the promise of money, several investigators try to to find the house's dark secret.

Moderator: BenTheRat

Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Re: IC: Ch. 10 Back into the Breach...uh I mean House

Post by Silver Priest »

"Calm down. We're all in this together." The way Michael says it, it sounds regretful.

Michael enters the room, his gun drawn. He leaves the book for Harrison (who seemed interested in such things) and approaches the table. Very cautious, he grabs the bottom of the sheet and takes a peek at what is underneath.
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 10 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

Sonny steps forward into the seconds chamber, his trumpet poised by his lips.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 5 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Harrison helps tear away some more boards and if possible get another light shining in.

"What's the title of that book, guys?", he asks as he helps remove the boards.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by DetectiveSocks »

Watching all the men do the heavy lifting, Jordie leans over the desk and gives a big puff of air over the book, rubbing the rest of the dust with the sleeve of her coat.
The other children cheered him on. His name voiced in a steadily rising pace, urging him to do it. “Am I really doing this?”, the young boy thought and struck his victim with a rock.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 11 months

Post by BenTheRat »

Michael grabs the dusty sheet. It has a stiffness to it like it has been saturated with sweat over and over and just left to dry.
As you raise it up you can see the shriviled corpse underneath.
Michael,you would need to lift the sheet higher or remove it to get a better view.
As you blow the dust away, you stifle a cough. The dust here is older than you. You don't see a title on the leather bound book, so you rub it with your elbow. You don't see anything new on there, but just touching the cover, you feel the book shift unnaturally under your arm, and flakes of dried paper fall out of the book between the covers.
OOC,At this point I have Michael, Jordie, Sonny and Charles in the room. If you are in the inner room. Please let me know where everyone is at.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard is still in the main part of the basement removing boards with his crow bar in order to widen the opening to let more light in. He is keeping a watchfull eye on what is going on in the hidden room as he is removing the boards. After he has gotten the opening to the hidden room enlarged he will move one of the lights to the opening so it shines into the room to help increase the visibility in the room.
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by Priest »

Scott still waits at the top of the stairs to the basement, he hears the trepidation in Charles' voice.
"What's happening guys?"
Nonchalantly he pulls the heavy pistol from his coat pocket and checks the magazine. He glances over his shoulder just to be sure no one is creeping up on him.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard yells up to Scott as he continues to enlarge the entrance to the hidden room "Come on down the rat invasion is over and we have discovered a whole new hidden section to the basement"
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are Bulletproof"
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Michael has seen enough corpses from his work as a cop, but it's still not a pleasant sight. He turns around and loudly whispers to the others.

"There's a body over here. Looks like it's been dead for awhile."
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard reply's "Do you think its Corbitt?" as he continues workingon the entrance
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 5 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Harrison is assisting Richard with the boards.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Occigon
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Occigon »

Charles is in the inner room, looking closely to see if there's anything lying on the floor - say, a knife - and keeping his distance from the book.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

The boards are coming off easy enough at this point. You have a nice entry way tore out.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

"Help me move this light to get it shinning directly into the hidden room Harrison" then he and Harrison (unless he objects) moves the lights to shine directly into the room but makes sure that they keep it far enough back to allow a quick exit by all if needed.
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by DetectiveSocks »

Coughing in hysterical fit Jordie fans the dust away from her face. Squinting her eyes, her elbow gave weight carelessly and the book wheezed it's last breath, flakes of paper spit out. Hesitation held Jordie's breath, as she was tempted to flip the cover and resuscitate the attention that it deserved. Her appetite for books got the best of Jordie and without a second thought for what eldritch horror lay inside, she pinched the front cover delicately in fear of it's poor condition, and read the first page.
The other children cheered him on. His name voiced in a steadily rising pace, urging him to do it. “Am I really doing this?”, the young boy thought and struck his victim with a rock.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"I don't know if its Corbitt, the guy does not exactly have a nametag on him. I'm going to pull this sheet off to get a better look, so brace yourselves."

Having said that, Michael begins to tug the sheet off and examine the body in greater detail.
DrVendetta
Adept
Adept

Post by DrVendetta »

Richard pulls out both of his pistols hearing that they are getting ready to uncover the body, preparing for what may happen next.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

From below Scott hears a dragging sound, then Richard's voice. Casting a last glance over his shoulder, he begins to carefully descend the stairs holding tight to the safety rope.
From below the excited chatter of other voices seems to show that they must have found something.
Scott thinking:   I just hope it's not another flying knife.  
- Anais Nin
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Holding tight to the rope you manage to work your way down the stairs without incident. As you get to the bottom you see Richard and Harrison moving the light over to the entrance and then relight it. (I assume you turned it off to move it, it would be too hot otherwise.)
Jordie opens the cover but the ink on the first page is so faded as to not be legible. It appears it was some sort of title page.
Michael pulls back the sheet. The figure still covered in shadows until Richard reignites the large lantern in the entranceway.
The body upon the table is a drawn, wooden-looking figure of six feet. He is skinny and naked with a ghastly look to him. His open eyes are saucer-like and his nose is like a knife blade. He has lost all hair and his shrunkin gums make his teeth look extra long. His fingers are also elongated and his nails look like claws of a beast. A sharp sweet scent of rotten corn eminates from him.
This peacefulness only lasted a second as the light spread over him giving you a rare view of a person in such a state.
Then he shoots up to a sitting position and screeches out in an inhuman howl that permeates the room. He is easily visible to all in both rooms.
YES, CORBITT LIVES!!
ooc,everyone needs to make a sanity 1/1d8 check. If you pass you suffer 1 point, if you fail you suffer 1d8.
As Corbitt sits up his claws rakes over Michaels chest.
attack,target = 50%: [dice]0[/dice]
Even though Michael was close and surprised, he managed to step just far enough away to avoid the arm swimging up.
ooc,A new round is starting. If you passed or suffered less than 5 points from a failure on the sanity check you may act this round. His dex is rather low, so everyone do their actions, roll for any attacks and damage. Assume point blank range for everyone so double your chances to hit, 95+ still misses.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

As the unearthly howl fills the basement, Scott watches as, if in slow motion, a horrid form raises itself to a sitting position. With a cold sweat suddenly beading his forehead Scott raises the .45...
San Roll,55% 1d100 → [20] = (20) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4413347/ Success so 1 point san loss.
Firing my pistol,50% to hit (pistol) Doubled point blank: 1d100 → [24] = (24) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4413356/ Damage:1d10+2 → [6,2] = (8) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4413357/
Last edited by Priest on Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Anais Nin

Return to “The Rat's Haunting”