Page 1 of 1

Compartment C

Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:20 am
by Laraqua
Paris, 19:00

This Single Cabin has a Pullman-style bed that folds into a comfortable sofa during the day and can be unfolded to reveal a single bed that isn't terribly wide but which has expensive cotton sheets freshly pressed and a roll-like pillow. The bed currently sits as a couch with wavy green-blue upholstery. A sink in a lovely, closing vanity is fitted into the corner and it provides both hot and cold water, as well as containing a little cupboard underneath that provides a glimpse at the porcelain pipes as well as access to additional storage space. There is, naturally, a button that will summon the Cabin Steward as well as an emergency brake pull with a warning beneath that threatens an expensive fine if you are to pull it without good reason. There isn't much room in this compartment, especially with any hand luggage brought onboard, but it is beautiful.

There is a luggage rack above the bed-sofa and there is an inlaid, fold-out table crouches beneath the window and shortly above this table is a little shelf containing a lamp with a red lamp shade, a weighted vase containing a single red flower and a glass ash tray. Spring-loaded roller blinds can be drawn up to view the outside world or to gain more privacy. Half of the window glass can be slid down to allow wind in, odours out or merely to stick one’s head out the window to get a good view of the surrounding countryside rushing past. Between each compartment stands the mosaic-floored cabinet de toilette where passengers may make use of a sink and mirror to wash their faces and apply make-up. This is shared between the two compartments and when one door is opened, the other door locks.

This is Elena Orloff's Sleeping Compartment.
A valise in the luggage rack contains,changes of clothing.

Re: Compartment C

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:22 am
by Mr. Handy
Elena puts her valise away and looks around the room before returning to the corridor.

Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:56 am
by Laraqua
Paris, 19:30

This Single Cabin has a Pullman-style bed that folds into a comfortable sofa during the day and can be unfolded to reveal a single bed that isn't terribly wide but which has expensive cotton sheets freshly pressed and a roll-like pillow. The bed currently sits as a couch with wavy green-blue upholstery. A sink in a lovely, closing vanity is fitted into the corner and it provides both hot and cold water, as well as containing a little cupboard underneath that provides a glimpse at the porcelain pipes as well as access to additional storage space. There is, naturally, a button that will summon the Cabin Steward as well as an emergency brake pull with a warning beneath that threatens an expensive fine if you are to pull it without good reason. There isn't much room in this compartment, especially with any hand luggage brought onboard, but it is beautiful.

There is a luggage rack above the bed-sofa and there is an inlaid, fold-out table crouches beneath the window and shortly above this table is a little shelf containing a lamp with a red lamp shade, a weighted vase containing a single red flower and a glass ash tray. Spring-loaded roller blinds can be drawn up to view the outside world or to gain more privacy. Half of the window glass can be slid down to allow wind in, odours out or merely to stick one’s head out the window to get a good view of the surrounding countryside rushing past. Between each compartment stands the mosaic-floored cabinet de toilette where passengers may make use of a sink and mirror to wash their faces and apply make-up. This is shared between the two compartments and when one door is opened, the other door locks.

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:42 am
by Mr. Handy
Elena enters her compartment and holds the door open for Wolfgang.

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:10 pm
by DrPeterson

Wolfgang enters the compartment and closes the door behind him.

Looking around, he adds with a smile.
Russian,"[color=#0000BF]Cozy...[/color]"

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:36 am
by Mr. Handy
Elena sits down on the sofa and pats the seat next to her, squeezing over to make room.
Russian,[color=darkred]"It's a single cabin,"[/color] she says, [color=darkred]"so it's a tight fit for two, but I don't think either of us have a problem with that. Now, we need to make plans for tomorrow."[/color]

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:17 am
by DrPeterson

Wolfgang takes of his jacket and puts it on the hanger before sitting down next to Elena.

Russian,[color=#0000BF] I'm not sure if any plans we makes tonight will survive the first light of day. Germany may have a few surprises for us yet.[/color]
He turns in the seat, so he faces her.
Russian,[color=#0000BF]That being said, it might indeed prove prudent to have plans laid out. What do you think?[/color]

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:47 am
by Mr. Handy
Elena gazes into Wolfgang's eyes.
Russian,[color=darkred]"It's true that our plans may have to change with the situation,"[/color] she says, [color=darkred]"but it's better to have them than not. We can always improvise as needed. We'll cross the border in a few hours. Do you think we'll be searched?"[/color]

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:03 am
by DrPeterson

His brow creases as he think about tomorrow.

Russian,[color=#0000BF] I think so, but I don't know how thorough they will be.[/color]
Tenderly, he brushes his hand against her cheeks to tuck a loose lock of hair behind her ear.
Russian,[color=#0000BF]I have a feeling that a lot will be revealed tomorrow. But I think we should looks into the Roby's play and find out if Johnny had any connection to my bunk mate.[/color]

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:19 am
by Mr. Handy
Elena leans back and smiles.
Russian,[color=darkred]"I agree,"[/color] she says. [color=darkred]"I'll skim the journal while I'm in my compartment tonight before bed. If anyone ever finds it or his other books on me, I can explain that [b]Johnny[/b] lent them to me, hoping to impress me. It's not like he's going to contradict me. You could also verify it by saying that you saw him do it."[/color]

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:58 am
by Laraqua
France, 01:00

Everything seems quiet in the sleeping car, but for some light refrains of someone's heavy snoring in another compartment. It's almost as though no one had died aboard this train, likely killed by one of the other passengers or, perhaps, by their own hand.

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:29 pm
by DrPeterson

Wolfgang smiles warmly.
Russian:,"[color=#0000BF]I will back any tale you spin, Lena. But I must get going before evil tongues impede upon your honour.[/color]"

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy
Russian,[color=darkred]"Of course,"[/color] says [b]Elena[/b]. [color=darkred]"Good night, [b]Wolfgang[/b]. I shall take breakfast in the lounge car, so we can meet there."[/color]

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:18 am
by DrPeterson

He nods and Wolfgang puts on his jacket.
Russian,[color=#0000BF]Be careful.[/color]

He opens the door and steps out into the corridor.

Russian,[color=#0000BF]Goodnight, [b]Elena[/b].[/color]

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:38 pm
by Mr. Handy
Elena rises and goes to the door.
Russian,[color=darkred]"And you as well,"[/color] she says.
Elena blows Wolfgang a kiss and closes and locks the door. Then she takes out the journal, sits down on the sofa, and begins skimming through the entries, using the translation guides as needed.

Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:30 am
by Laraqua
Query,how long will you spend reading? We can always leap forward in time if everyone is either sleeping or reading.

Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:29 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,How long would it take me to skim the whole thing? I don't want to spend more than an hour before going to sleep, unless of course what I find in that first hour intrigues me so much that I have to keep going.

Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:18 am
by Laraqua
An hour skim reveals the pictures and newspaper articles first and foremost, as well as a few newspaper articles that seem important somehow.

The Queen of Romania's visit to Egypt.

Egyptian decorated gloves with the words underlined beneath: Stolen gift? Price asked for unique option. Shefira's option means?

An upside down ankh. Secret Society, possible connections to German occult interests. Perhaps to discredited Thule? Or to Himmler's fascinations?

A boat scene. There are words scrawled next to it in a clean, neat handwriting that probably doesn't belong to the cowboy: A funerary scene. From what did we all begin and to water we shall all return. Hmm. What do you suppose this could mean?

From a quick skim read, it seems that this journal contains a variety of details, articles and other information from around the globe, though mostly focused on Egypt. Elena manages to read a fair few more articles and see more pictures than just these but these are the ones which will stand out in her mind over the course of the fateful train ride.

Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:08 am
by Mr. Handy
This may turn out to be of some importance, thinks Elena. That's all I have time to go over tonight. I'll have to look through it some more when I have time and privacy, but even then I won't come close to understanding it all. If possible, I'll need to bring this back to Moscow and see what they make of it there. She puts the books away in her handbag, unfolds the sofa, and gets ready for bed.

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:48 am
by Laraqua
France, 03:00

Elena manages a glance at D'Avricourt's train station at 1:18AM, in between reading the journal, and manages to remain awake after it moves away. At around 2AM, she sets the book aside and drifts off to sleep. At some point during fragmented and obscure dreams which make little sense, even in her dreaming state, she begins to hear a voice, her voice, calling to her from the cold and the dark outside.

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy
Bewildered, Elena climbs out of bed and goes over to the window, cracking it open a little so she can better hear what the voice is saying.

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:35 am
by Laraqua
The world outside seems to rush by in a blur of shapes and darkness as the night time gloom combined with the forested surrounds combine to create a strange visual spectacle. She can hear more clearly now the voice, her voice, saying: "...shouldn't have accepted the invitation ... shouldn't have accepted the invitation ... the ankh is the path to mine own end ... should've been more cautious ... so very much more cautious...." And then it repeats itself, over and over, like a death bed mantra.

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:24 am
by Mr. Handy
What invitation? wonders Elena. She closes the window, turns on a light, and flips through the journal to see if there's any references to an ankh.

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:03 am
by Laraqua
It takes awhile of flicking through the journal to get an image of an ankh, a looped cross, with the description: The ankh also known as key of life, the key of the Nile or crux ansata (Latin meaning "cross with a handle"), was the ancient Egyptian hieroglyphic character that read "life". It seems innocent enough.

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:02 am
by Mr. Handy
Elena shrugs, puts the journal away, turns off the light, and gets back into bed. I'll sleep on it, she thinks as she drifts off. Perhaps it will make more sense in the morning.

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:34 am
by Laraqua
Strassburg, 03:36

Elena feels tired, so very tired, even inside her dreams. The world itself is cold and grey as ash belches forth from iron factories. The ash brushes against her face but she feels too numb to care as she chips the frozen bodies from the ice and throws them onto the wagon which is wheeled by four men over the tundra toward the factory's gaping mouth. So many instigators.... So many rebels.... So many that need to burn before the ice melts and carries disease with it down the river to the towns below. The rebels bleed and they blister. That is what happens. None who rebel against the truth of the glorious leader can ever hope to....

She can't quite remember who this glorious leader would be but the symbols on her uniform don't make sense to her. She doesn't recognise them and they seem to shift and wriggle before her very eyes. 0/1d2 SAN loss.

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:30 am
by Mr. Handy
Bozhemoi! thinks Elena as she recoils in alarm, but it doesn't take her long to recover. This doesn't make sense. The glorious leader must be Comrade Stalin; I could not be serving another. But this is not a Soviet uniform.

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:23 am
by Laraqua
There are five others in her unit who are busy chipping free the dead. They all dress as she does though they do not appear to be confused.

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:14 pm
by Mr. Handy
Perhaps I am undercover, thinks Elena. Yes, that must be it! I've been sent to infiltrate and learn what intelligence I can. In which case, I'd best maintain my cover. She helps the others chip the bodies free of the ice so that they can burn them.

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:49 am
by Laraqua
As she chips the ice clear of the frozen flesh, she can feel vibrations running up her shovel and hear the explosive sound of large weights falling on ice a distance away. It takes a minute of listening to realise three things: the others are pretending strongly not to hear it, the large weights have a rhythm to them like footfalls, and they are getting closer.

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:14 am
by Mr. Handy
Long aware of the value of blending in for someone in her profession, Elena also makes a point of ignoring the loud approaching noises, continuing her efforts to chip free the bodies.

Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:10 am
by Laraqua
Everyone keeps their heads down, chiselling as many bodies as they can from the sheets of ice, as though their task might save them from whatever is coming. One of the men beside her falls to his knees, making terrified grunting sounds, before clawing at his eyes and throat. No one else stops. Everyone keeps doing as they were doing, with nary a glance his way, as though it is absolutely fine and normal that a man might bloody his own fingers digging into his skin.

Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:29 am
by Mr. Handy
Elena too continues with her work, ignoring the stranger. It's not as if she cares about him, and as long as she's not looking at him, she doesn't have to think about what he's doing.

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:15 am
by Laraqua
They pack up tools and slouch their way in lines to the back of the truck, leaving their co-worker to die in the snow. One man gets into the driver's seat and they head toward the city, a city with a barricade of corrugated iron and chunks of cement, some of which seem to have been pulled free of the earth by various construction machines and painted with various symbols, mostly one, though, mostly one. Repeated over and over and over until her head hurts. Some of the chunks of material look like old footpaths or even hunks of asphalt-laden road. They arrive at a gate of barbed wire, through which are coiled various chunks of the dead. Another set of people head out on sleds as a third lot of people come up behind them with a sled of their own ... a sled full of frozen bodies. The truck pulls over to one side as people with pick axes slam hooked axes into the frozen fresh, attach chains, and then haul them up onto the barricade. Now that she looks, now that she sees, she can sees the partially consumed bodies that hang here and there, their bodies in tattered disrepair.

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:58 am
by Mr. Handy
Elena avoids looking directly at the symbol, but she remains focused on her surroundings, gathering intelligence as she has been trained to do. So this is war.. she thinks. She follows the lead of the others in her unit, seeking to blend in and not to stand out in any way.

Posted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:00 am
by Laraqua
There is an acrid tang to the air. It makes her head buzz and her eyes ache as she smells it, but then she is taken through the barricaded gates into the city beyond. None of her colleagues smile at her. Their eyes are glazed, their movements slack, they fall into a queue where a man with a shaven head slops food into bowls. There are others on the city streets, but none this close to the wall, and they all eye them nervously as though afraid of contagion.

Posted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:27 am
by Mr. Handy
Elena gets in line to wait for her food with the others, keeping alert as to what's going on around her.

Posted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:01 am
by Laraqua
The man in front of her accepts his bowl of slush and goes to sit down, rocking, on a door step. The house above it has been demolished and turned into a weapons platform for a very big anti-aircraft gun. He eats with his gloved fingers, despite having chiseled out a corpse only several minutes earlier. She's given her slush too. It smells like gravied meat, and not particularly fresh meat.

Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:11 am
by Mr. Handy
Elena finds a similar stoop on the opposite side of the street from the man, and she sits on it, facing him. The food, if one could call it that, doesn't look very appetizing, but she does need to eat something, and this is all she has. She slowly and methodically eats it while surreptitiously studying the anti-aircraft gun and the man seated in front of it.

Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:40 am
by Laraqua
The anti-aircraft gun is carved with all kinds of graffiti, most of it nonsense syllables that doesn't appear to have any kind of meaning at all.

Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:23 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,What can I assess about the gun's military capabilities? How advanced is it?

Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:47 am
by Laraqua
The gun seems somewhat more advanced than what she has seen thus far in Russia. It doesn't appear to be overly futuristic, more what one might expect a few years of war might produce. It has a distinctly Russian look to it, engineering-wise, but it seems to be built more for firing heavy-calibre weapons than for firing a lot of bullets - quality over quantity, in other words.

Posted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:31 am
by Mr. Handy
Elena tries to memorize all the details she can about the AA gun as she consumes the vile meat, making sure to coat it in as much gravy as possible in order to mask it. She wishes she had her camera, though taking a picture of the weapon would no doubt arouse suspicion anyway.

Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:46 am
by Laraqua
The man eats his food and then throws his head back and starts to caterwaul, or is it singing? The syllables slither against each other in a terrible cadence that made primordial memories rumble within her. Memories of motion and violent hunger and fucking.... And then one of the gunners stepped down and shot him in the head and he slumped against the weapon. The song faded, leaving behind prickles of some terrible foreboding.

Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:42 am
by Mr. Handy
Elena continues eating, acting as if nothing unusual has happened, which seems the thing to do in this bizarre place.

Posted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:54 am
by Laraqua
Elena awakens with a start and the taste of off gravy on her tongue to the sound of a quiet knock on her door. She finds herself sweaty and tangled in her sheets.

Posted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy
"Who's there?" calls Elena, untangling herself from her sheets and climbing out of bed.

Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:06 am
by Laraqua
Elena can hear Wolfgang's voice through the door. The words are in a hushed whisper but the meaning seems clear -- let me in.

Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:27 am
by Mr. Handy
Elena quickly opens the door.

Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:35 am
by Laraqua
She sees Wolfgang standing at the door, moments before she hears the Bang! Bang! Bang! of minor explosives in the distance.

(You may now post in the corridor to speak with Wolfgang).

Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:35 pm
by DrPeterson

As Wolfgang pushes into the compartment, she can notice a look of deep concern in his eyes.

Russian,[color=#0000BF]There are SS in the station, I think they are about the board the train. I know there officer from before the Civil War, before I had to leave. I don't think I'll be in trouble, but he has no love for Russians.[/color]

Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:21 am
by Mr. Handy
Elena closes the door.
Russian,[color=darkred]"Would he recognize you?"[/color] asks [b]Elena[/b]. [color=darkred]"If so, he might cause problems for you as well."[/color]

Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:05 am
by DrPeterson
Russian,"[color=#0000BF]I don't think so.[/color]", he puts his hand on his stomach with a rueful smile, "[color=#0000BF]Wars tend to warp the features.[/color]"

Posted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:08 am
by Mr. Handy
Russian,[color=darkred]"True,"[/color] says [b]Elena[/b], [color=darkred]"but your name remains the same. Thank you for the warning, [b]Wolfgang[/b]. I'll exercise caution around him. Hopefully the recent alliance between Germany and Russia will give him second thoughts about making things hard for me. I could also adopt the story that I'm an exile since the Revolution, though I don't know if that will make him like me any better. Does he hate Russians for being Russian, or for being Communists?"[/color]

Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:11 pm
by DrPeterson
Russian,"[color=#0000BF]He hates everyone that isn't a proper German, Lena. I'm not sure how he will respond. I just thought I had to warn you.[/color]" He takes your hand and smiles melancholy. "[color=#0000BF]I don't know why, but I got the urge to prot..to help you.[/color]"

Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:34 am
by Mr. Handy
Elena smiles back and squeezes his hand.
Russian,[color=darkred]"I am grateful, [b]Wolfgang[/b],"[/color] she says. [color=darkred]"I feel there is a strong connection between us, and we have much in common."[/color]

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:51 am
by Laraqua
Stuttgart, 06:55

There are no further explosions, at least.

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy
Russian,[color=darkred]"I had the strangest dream,"[/color] says [b]Elena[/b]. [color=darkred]"I think it was of the coming war. It was even worse than I had imagined."[/color]

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:15 am
by Laraqua
Stuttgart, 07:10

The train has yet to move off. It seems that all of the later stops are likely to be delayed. Hopefully not for too long. The platform itself seems to be starting to fill up with people here for the next train to head into work. They eye the Simplon Express curiously, their German voices audible through the walls. They seem quite happy and at peace with themselves and their situation. Fifteen minutes later, the train blows its whistle and begins to put-put out of the station.

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:16 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I've been waiting for [b]Wolfgang[/b] to reply to me, but Dr. Peterson is out for the summer. Do we wait for him to return, or are you going to NPC his character?

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:09 am
by Laraqua
OOC,I don't know what his next intentions would have been so it might be better for you to thank him for his time and he can return to his own compartment?

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:25 am
by Mr. Handy
Russian,[color=darkred]"Thank you, [b]Wolfgang[/b],"[/color] says [b]Elena[/b]. [color=darkred]"For everything. I'd like to get dressed now, and then I'll take breakfast in the Lounge Car. You can join me there later if you wish."[/color]

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:49 am
by Laraqua
Russian,"Of course, my apologies. I will see you when I can."
Wolfgang rises and leaves the compartment.

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:34 am
by Mr. Handy
Elena uses the toilet, puts on her makeup, and gets dressed, donning a little black dress designed by Coco Chanel that she had picked up in Paris. When she is done, she picks up her handbag and slings it over her shoulder. She keeps the journal and dictionaries deep inside it, as she does not want others to see them, but she carries the book she borrowed from Mr. Roby in her hand. She can safely read that in the Lounge Car while she eats, and she is curious about its contents. Then she steps out into the corridor.

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:10 am
by Laraqua
Stuttgart, 07:55