Dining Car

These cars are attached in the following order from the Sleeping Cars to the Kitchen Car and are intended for the guests to mingle: the Lounge Car (nonsmoking), the Bar Car (smoking), and the Dining Car (smoking). Please remember that even if you're just passing through you need to post in each car that you pass and briefly skim the prior three posts to see if your character is about to pass through a firefight.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Re: Dining Car

Post by DrPeterson »

Wolfgang smiles and shakes his head.
Russian,[color=#0000BF]You shouldn't be so hard on yourself, [b]Lena[/b], you don't look a day over 28. Though the French may have a reputation for beauty, the true connoisseur knows there is no beauty greater than that locked in Slavic eyes. [/color]
He winks playfully and goes on,
Russian,[color=#0000BF]And besides, if you want me to edit your book, you'll have to start taking some confidence in my judgement.[/color]
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

"I'm not normally superstitious, no, but you have to admit; it's mysteriously coincidental. I wonder if the rest of the dream is just as fanciful. And as for the fair diners in this car, maybe certain young ladies have decided to dine in private; perhaps they are very appreciative of wine but would rather not be seen to drink it in public. Common ground Amadi, the first step in any romance is finding the common ground." Cecil winks at his friend.

He sees Mr. Al-Rassams face and says more soberly, "In theory anyway; 'Good shepherd, tell this youth what 'tis to love. --- It is to be all made of fantasy.' Did you get to the theatre much while you were in England, Mr. Al-Rassam?"
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by Laraqua »

"Love is something which blossoms over time between two well-matched individuals," says Farooqi, enjoying his Melon Ice Cream Trocadero. "I am pleased to say that the marriage I have arranged for Amadi is quite a good match. She is a lovely woman with all of the requisite skills necessary for a wife." He tries to hide a smile at Amadi's obvious discomfort. "She will even be boarding this train before we reach Istanbul so you will have an opportunity to meet her."
Amadi attacks his Vanilla Ice Cream Snowball With Shredded Strawberry Sauce On Illuminated Ice Socle with a deep and heavy sigh.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elena smiles and blushes, eating a spoonful of her ice cream.
Russian,[color=darkred]"You flatter me,"[/color] says [b]Elena[/b]. [color=darkred]"Well, perhaps you are right. Your own looks are quite striking as well."[/color]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

He laughs and nods as he takes a few bites of his dessert.
Russian,[color=#0000BF]I have to push the advantage and pleasure of sharing this table with you, Lena. [/color] He uses the Russian diminutive of your name endearingly and then adds with a grin: [color=#0000BF]Now the wolves are still at bay.[/color]
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Dining Car, France, 20:30
The Dining Car is an illustrious affair of white tablecloths, gleaming silverware, crystal wine glasses and friendly conversations in Italian, French, English and Russian with a touch of German here and there. The four-course dinner is a lavish affair judging from the various entrees and soups that have been eaten and are currently being swept aside by the polite waitors. The curtains are tied back to reveal the French countryside as you sit at your table. There is a small partition that divides the smoking from the non-smoking halves of the train. A red curtain at the far end of the car leads onward to the Kitchen half of the Dining Car. Due to the surprisingly small number of bookings for this trip diners have been given the option of eating during either the First or the Second Service, as they please.

As First Service finishes, the waitors politely collect all of the dishware and give gentle encouragement for people to retire to the Smoking Car for cocktails and a delightful pianist. The various groups arise from their tables and begin to make their way down the aisle toward the Salon Car, talking to each other in such a way that the general burble of noise begins to arise as people compress into the narrow aisle.
Charles Belanger had been sitting quietly at the table, nodding politely along with the conversation but otherwise letting the three men discuss things among themselves, when he finally arises. "Gentlemen, I feel a need for a cocktail," he says. "Perhaps when your private discussions in your compartment are over you might like to join me?" As he turns away from the table he bumps into Schiller from behind and, seeming annoyed at the man for still idling in the way, places his hands on Schiller's shoulders and turns him around. "Now look here, you can't be standing there all day..." He pauses, looking into the man's oddly dilated eyes, and takes hold of the man's jacket lapels, giving them a bit of a tug so as to try to get his attention. "Are you ... quite all right, sir? Sir?" He looks over at one of the nearby waitors who had paused in his clearing duties to note the odd behaviour. "I don't suppose we have a doctor on board, do we?"
Magdelena Bartenstein asks her new friends, "Maybe we could spend some time in the Lounge Car together? I know it's late but we're on a train and ... and isn't it too exciting to go to bed?"
"I'll ask," says Nafy with a shy shrug of a shoulder.
"Father lets us remain awake as long as we please," says Henry confidently. "I'd be glad to accompany you to the Lounge Car."
Spot Hidden at Quarter Normal,You notice Charles Belanger slipping his hands into one of [b]Schiller's[/b] pant pockets from behind and then into his jacket pockets from in front as he circles around to tug on his jacket briefly to get his attention. He then slips his hand into his own pant pockets.

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elena doesn't notice anything unusual as she finishes her ice cream.
Russian,[color=darkred]"Shall we head to the Bar Car now?"[/color] she asks [b]Wolfgang[/b], rising. [color=darkred]"Or would you prefer the Lounge Car?"[/color]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Wolfgang wiped his mouth and got up, offering Elena his hand.
Russian,I propose we go to the Bar, I hear they have a brilliant pianist.
Wolfgang guides Elena through the corridor, with the other people heading to the bar car.

Spot check failed,[dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elena takes Wolfgang's hand and goes with him to the Bar Car.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Cecil keeps his eyes down so not to add to Amadi's discomfort and changes the subject. "Well, that was as delicious as always. Would you like to go back to my compartment, where I can order in some 'coffee'; or go to the bar with Mr. Belanger?" He asks Amadi and Mr. Al-Rassam as he rises. As Belanger realises there is something wrong with the German he squeezes into the aisle and says, "What's up with the fellow? Here, walk him down to the end where there is more room."
spot hidden,Failed.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The four children, Roby family, mediteranean couple and the honeymooners have already left the Dining Car. Somehow the pair who are sat in front of Schiller have been forgotten in all the ruckus as the focus turns squarely on Schiller. Later, if questioned, those who involved themselves with Schiller would have been hard-pressed to say if there had ever been anyone sitting at the table before him. For their part, the pair at the table seem not to have noticed the furore about the German fellow and continue to indulge in light conversation as they finish off the dessert, completely unaware as to how empty the Dining Car is becoming
Charles Belanger nods. "Good idea." He takes Schiller by the arm, "Here we go," and draws the seemingly catatonic fellow down the aisle to the covered compartment.
Amadi looks thoughtful as he also follows the man into the covered compartment. "I wonder what the devil's wrong with him."

And with that, Charles, Schiller, Amadi, Cecil and Farooqi leave the Dining Car and head into the Communications Compartment.

A few other people enter the Dining Car for the Second Service.

Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Dining Car, France, 21:30
The Dining Car is an illustrious affair of white tablecloths, gleaming silverware, crystal wine glasses and friendly conversations in Italian, French, English and Russian with a touch of German here and there. The four-course dinner is a lavish affair judging from the various entrees and soups that have been eaten and are currently being swept aside by the polite waitors. The curtains are tied back to reveal the French countryside as you sit at your table. There is a small partition that divides the smoking from the non-smoking halves of the train. A red curtain at the far end of the car leads onward to the Kitchen half of the Dining Car. Due to the surprisingly small number of bookings for this trip diners have been given the option of eating during either the First or the Second Service, as they please.

As Second Service finishes, the waitors politely collect all of the dishware and give gentle encouragement for people to retire to the Smoking Car for cocktails and a delightful pianist. The various groups arise from their tables and begin to make their way down the aisle toward the Salon Car, talking to each other in such a way that the general burble of noise begins to arise as people compress into the narrow aisle. All except for two men who sit silently at one two-person table and do not interact with any of the waitors or vice versa.

fox01313
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Post by fox01313 »

Kieran walks into the dining car & will meet up with the Matire D about catching the end of the second service of the smoking section, I will pull out a pipe from his jacket pocket with his right hand & taping it in his left hand a few times almost absentmindedly while waiting for his food of whatever is available at this late hour. Upon getting seated Kieran will do a friendly introduction to any of the people at the neighboring tables & as well as pulling out a small notebook and pencil to write out a few simple notes, eat his meal while taking the sights of the countryside & getting familiar with all people on the train.

"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Kieran,sorry that I wasn't clearer but basically it's the end of the Second Service but Kieran has been there since about partway through the start of Second Service as an NPC. He was a bit late, though, so your post still makes quite a bit of sense. I believe he headed in at about 8.45PM. Anyway, I'll give you details on what he observed thus far during that hour and then you can post your exit from the Dining Car with the other NPCs. The car next to this is the Smoking Car. It's all good as there's no other players in the Dining Car thread at the moment. When ready, you move between the cars through posting that you're leaving in this thread and then posting your entrance in another one.
Kieran soon meets a gentleman called Johannes Sprech. A rather determined-looking German who speaks good English and who is largely too busy reading a book with a buff cardstock cover that had something in Arabic written upon it in gold lettering. The book doesn't seem particularly old though if it did have one of those fancy book cover sleeves, it has long since been lost. Since Kieran sits behind him, he can make out the occasional picture of ruins or other digs.

There is a pair of gentleman who sit silent and still at one table and don't even deign to respond to Kieran's greeting. One of the fellows seems familiar to him but Kieran can't quite grasp the memory behind it. Perhaps it's not important? The gentleman doesn't seem to recognise Kieran and makes a dismissive gesture whenever Kieran tries to politely introduce himself.

fox01313
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Post by fox01313 »

Well there's plenty of people on the train that might look familiar & Kieran will take a few more notes in the notepad about the travel of just general information or useful things about the train schedule of things like the meals for future reference. After the meal, Kieran will leave the dining car & go to the bar to enjoy a whiskey & engage in small talk with some of the patrons and/or bartender for about a half hour.

If nothing else happens he will be going back to his sleeping cabin & curiously check to see if Wolfgang Ritter is there in the cabin, as we have yet to go through any introductions of any kind, then plan to go to sleep if Mr. Ritter is asleep or not present or willing to engage in conversation at that time.
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Kieran enters the Smoking Car.

Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Dining Car, Chalons-sur-Marne, 21:41
The Dining Car is an illustrious affair of white tablecloths, gleaming silverware, crystal wine glasses and friendly conversations in Italian, French, English and Russian with a touch of German here and there. The curtains are loosened over each window but the one that still contains two diners who sit before their cold main meals, staring silently across at each other over the table. There is a small partition that divides the smoking from the non-smoking halves of the train. A red curtain at the far end of the car leads onward to the Kitchen half of the Dining Car. There is a murmur of voices from the waitors and cooks as they bustle about finishing off the dishes and cleaning and enjoying the otherwise empty Dining Car.

PRESENT: Colman Fallon, Rev Dominic Pius, Cooks and Waitors in the kitchen car section.

aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Cecil passes through the dining car still with a thoughtful expression on his face but pulls up sharp on seeing the two seated gentlemen. "I say, Dr. Pius isn't it? We met in London at the RGS lect..." He falters as he realises the man is not responding. "Jumping galloots - it's catching!" He looks hard at Pius' companion but he seems to have gone the same way. Cecil waves his hands past the two men's eyes and looks down to see what they were eating. "It could be the food." He ponders and looks round for the maitre d'.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"Excuse me, Monsieur Linscott," says the Maitr D, stepping through the red curtains that divide the seating areas from the corridor by the kitchen. "The Dining Car is closed for the night though perhaps I could be of some service?"

aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Cecil smiles worridly. "Ah, Monsier Rousseau, good evening. How are you? Thank you for a fabulous dinner this evening."
French,[color=#0000BF]"Have you seen these two gentlemen; how they haven't moved or eaten their food? Regardez!"[/color]
Cecil waves his hands in front of the men's faces again.
French,[color=#0000BF]"Catano! There is another passenger; Herr Schiller in Compartment G who has also the same problem. Now, I am only suggesting that they might, just might, have had an allergic reaction to something they ate. Can you remember what these three gentlemen had for dinner?"[/color]

Return to “Social Cars”