Dining Car

These cars are attached in the following order from the Sleeping Cars to the Kitchen Car and are intended for the guests to mingle: the Lounge Car (nonsmoking), the Bar Car (smoking), and the Dining Car (smoking). Please remember that even if you're just passing through you need to post in each car that you pass and briefly skim the prior three posts to see if your character is about to pass through a firefight.
Shroudeye
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Re: Dining Car

Post by Shroudeye »

Kieran Mclaugherty? Dominic repeated the name to make sure he had understood how it was pronounced. he thought for a brief moment, Nano-seconds really, and answered. Sorry Colman, I am not familiar with that name. You are the only person I have met so far that is not part of the staff of this train. But the day is still young and mayhap he could be at one of the various stops along the way."
Dominic Pius,[img]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/vivamort/9a744e86-6041-4877-9939-8b09618a763f_zps1aa96268.jpg~original[/img] Dominic Pius,Ph.D., Reverend-Professor of Psychology, Boston College on Holiday Description: Male, Age 38, 5'8" Tall, 165 lb., Blonde Hair, Blue Eyes, wears modest attire Demeanor: Mild mannered, speaks little among strangers, always polite, good listener
Dominic Pius, The Last Express

Raymond MacIntyre, The Shadow Over Dunwich

Daedalus Wickliff, The Aquitania

I don't want to see another cop or cookie in my life. I don't know which one makes me sicker
Yigcredible
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Post by Yigcredible »

Schiller is in the midst of finishing his caviar when he hears the men in the tables behind talking, seemingly in English. Although not familiar with the language, he does recognize the word "professor" when it is spoken by both men. Remembering his promise to himself to meet some fellow academics on this trip, he wipes his mouth with his napkin, stands and approaches Colman and Dominic and waits for an ideal time to introduce himself. Addressing them both, he says in German: "Guten Abend an euch beide. Durch Zufall haben entweder Sie sprechen Deutsch?"
German,Good evening to you both. By chance, do either of you speak German?
He also adds quickly, speaking in French: "Ou peut-être l'un de vous parle français?"
French,Or perhaps one of you speaks French?
"Save during infrequent local scares, only wonder-loving grandmothers and retrospective nonagenarians ever whispered of beings dwelling in those hills..."
Shroudeye
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Shroudeye »

Dominic stared at the new person standing beside his table. He had no idea what the man wanted for he could not speak the language that issued forth upon his arrival. Dominic just smiled and then made a gesture of one not understanding, he simply shrugged his shoulders. "Forgive me son, I do not understand what you are saying." he studied the man as he stood there and figured he was a European, possibly educated, and well dressed. His mannerism did say volumes about his demeanor, so the Reverend decided he was being polite and introducing himself rather than trying to accost the two gentlemen that sat together at the table but was unsure.
Anthropology roll,Fail!,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4207190/]1d100=98[/url]
Dominic Pius,[img]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/vivamort/9a744e86-6041-4877-9939-8b09618a763f_zps1aa96268.jpg~original[/img] Dominic Pius,Ph.D., Reverend-Professor of Psychology, Boston College on Holiday Description: Male, Age 38, 5'8" Tall, 165 lb., Blonde Hair, Blue Eyes, wears modest attire Demeanor: Mild mannered, speaks little among strangers, always polite, good listener
Dominic Pius, The Last Express

Raymond MacIntyre, The Shadow Over Dunwich

Daedalus Wickliff, The Aquitania

I don't want to see another cop or cookie in my life. I don't know which one makes me sicker
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elena tastes her Hot Consomme, blowing on it first, before continuing.
Russian,[color=darkred]"I had heard about Lenin being in Munich,"[/color] she says, [color=darkred]"and I also knew about the Soviet Republic there in 1919. I learned about it from my mother, though she had been in Berlin rather than Munich. She actually knew Rosa Luxemburg. I'd heard about the Putsch in 1923, too. That should have been the end of those reactionaries, but they don't know how to give up. Still, their end will come."[/color]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Cecil leans back, sensible of his manners. "Indeed I do." He smiles, "Let's talk about it later." He then hears a gentleman talking in German. He uses the interruption of the arrival of his Consomme Froid Madrilene to have a look round the carriage without offending Mr. Al-Rassam any further and then raises a questioning eyebrow to Amadi.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Russian,[color=#0000BF]I will drink to that![/color]
Wolfgang raises his glass.
Russian,[color=#0000BF]To the end of the [i]Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei[/i], to the end of fascism and that we may be instrumental it bringing it about![/color]
Some German in the conversation,Wolfgang obviously mentioned the [i]Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei[/i] in his toast.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elena raises her wineglass and clinks it with Wolfgang's.
Russian,[color=darkred]"Death to the fascists!"[/color] she says.
Elena takes a drink.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

He takes a drink and puts down his glass with a big smile on his lips.
Russian,[color=#0000BF]It feels like we have made a pact, [b]Elena[/b], an unbreakable vow! I knew I was bound to meet some interesting characters on this train, but I could never have guessed that they'd be as fascinating as you, [b]Elena[/b].[/color] The way he says her name almost makes it seem like he takes joy in the sheer pronunciation of it. [color=#0000BF]Now please, let us keep our minds off of war and fighting for just tonight. I have told you almost everything there is to know about me, but apart from your travelling nature, your love of Moscow and that you have eyes deeper than the depths of human imagination, I know very little about you.[/color]
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
MC Lovecraft
Layman
Layman

Post by MC Lovecraft »

Colman's confusion turns to a mild understanding when the gentlemanly character who had approached the table starts speaking french. Though his french was atrocious, Colman might be able to understand the man's short statement.
Speak Other Language French,"Success!, [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4210150/]1d100=20[/url]
"This good man just asked if either of us speak french." Colman says to Dominic, who appears confused by the man's question. "I know a smattering of the former."
French,"I speak little bit of french sir. But the french I speak is not very good."
Last edited by MC Lovecraft on Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elena smiles back.
Russian,[color=darkred]"Oh, I'm sure there's more to discover about you too, [b]Wolfgang[/b],"[/color] she says. [color=darkred]"It was very fortuitous that we met. Now, I can't tell you everything about myself - a woman has to preserve [i]some[/i] mystery. To really understand me, you first should understand my family, for I am my mother's daughter. My father is a great man as well, a true hero. He fought against the Japanese with great courage, but the Tzar did not give him the respect he deserved. As brave as my father is, he could not win the war all by his own efforts, and so he and his comrades returned home in defeat. He took part in the revolution of 1905, but alas, the time was not yet right for victory then either. He was arrested when that revolution was put down. He spent a few years in prison. I was parted from him for much of my early childhood, first when he went away to war and later when he was locked away, though at least then I did get to visit him sometimes. I still remember going to see him with my mother and brother. I treasured those visits. The fact that I didn't get to see him all the time made the occasions when I did even more precious."[/color]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by Laraqua »

Italian & Listen Check,"It seems [b]Magda[/b] has made a few friends. Doesn't this seem to be a problem to you?"
Italian & Listen Check,"I see no problems here. Even if they would want to help her, they can't. The Germans would not permit it."
Italian & Listen Check,"So long as she doesn't befriend any Germans of power and influence...."
Italian & Listen Check,"How would she do that? The Germans despise Jews. They wouldn't care to help one. We are her only help. Even if that British family learns of her troubles, they can't help her. Only we can."
Italian & Listen Check,"I hope you are right."
Italian & Listen Check,"Patience, Durante. We should not discuss it here."
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Russian,[color=#0000BF]Your father sounds like a good man. Being in a war is one thing and there are few things more horrible, but being imprisoned is about one of them for sure. I couldn't abide being locked up and restricted in my freedom like that. Especially if I had a wife and..a wife and child out there.[/color]
He stops talking for a moment as he gingerly toys with his wineglass.
Russian,[color=#0000BF]You look like quite the fighter too, [b]Elena[/b], but if you take more after your mother, I can't help but wonder what she's like.[/color]
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Cecil does not have to look far in his search; the German is standing right next to his own table blocking the aisle quite efficiently and talking to a man across the way. Cecil can't see the man's companion who is hidden by the German's bulk. He continues to eat his soup but winces as he listens to the conversation.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elena pauses to eat a spoonful of her soup.
Russian,[color=darkred]"It was because of us that my father was able to endure his imprisonment,"[/color] she says. [color=darkred]"He considers the years he spent there a badge of honor. My mother is a fighter too, in her own way, and I am much like her. There are more ways to fight than with a rifle."[/color]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Russian,[color=#0000BF] I understand his sentiment, [b]Elena[/b], the wounds we bear either destroy us or make us stronger. [/color]

He finishes his soup and puts down his spoon, wiping the corners of his mouth with his napkin.
Russian,[color=#0000BF]Fortunately, you are right, I am not overly fond of guns, myself. Do they live in Moscow?[/color]
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Mr. Roby, apparent father of the little boy and girl, sips at his cup of tea and smiles over his Hot Consomme at his wife. "I had the most intriguing dream last night. I dreamt that we were aboard this very train but rather than riding along the rails it flew with such startling smoothness that it swept the very breath from my lungs. The very corridors were filled with intrigue and menacing human thoughts that strained against each other, each grating along the other's ideologies. I saw a ruby ring - at least I think it was ruby - which blew sandman's own dust into the face of a man in Gestapo uniform. I saw a needle poised against the carotid artery of one of the staff members, though I know not which, while another man dithered on whether he should prevent the act of murder or allow it and as he considered the situation an inverted ankh did glow upon his chest but it did not glow with light but with darkness. A darkness that slithered along his very veins. I saw it upheld in his hands, dangling from the windows of the train, and his eyes reflected the ankh, and he wished to release it and yet could not. I saw a man cowering in the corner while beauty whispered promises of wealth and wonder but all he could see was the screaming of emaciated children held back within barbed wire walls. I saw another who held a box in transit and though he were protected there was another who sought what lingered within it seeking wealth and indeed within is contained wealth but also something startling and then we were careening toward something. Something that lurked upon our destination. And then...."
"And then what?" asks Mrs. Roby in a pleasing Irish (Belfast) accent.
"I woke up," says Mr. Roby.
"Well, I hope you wrote it down in your dream diary," says Mrs. Roby. She has quite an impressed smile upon her face. "That does sound interesting."
"Indeed I did," says Mr. Roby, looking very self-satisfied. "I found it profoundly inspirational."

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elena also finishes her soup.
Russian,[color=darkred]"Yes, they both do,"[/color] she says. [color=darkred]"I'm really looking forward to seeing them again. What of your parents? Are they still in Munich?"[/color]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Wolfgang smiles as he leaned back in his chair.
Russian,[color=#0000BF]They are still in Munich, yes, and I think they'll stay there for quite some time. They both died very peacefully, before knowing their son went off to fight in some Spanish war.[/color]
He suddenly picks up the word Gestapo from the conversation at the other table and tries to understand the conversation.
Wolfgang tries to understand English (25%),[dice]0[/dice]
Unfortunately, there's too much commotion and he returns to the conversation with Elena.
Russian,[color=#0000BF]I'm sorry, I thought I heard them talk about the German secret police. I'm afraid I'll be on edge until we leave Germany far behind us.[/color]
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Whilst listening in on the conversation next to him, Cecil hears something from the table behind him that reminds him of... but he just can't put his finger on it. He finishes his soup and takes a discreet sip of wine.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The third course is brought out to the various passengers which includes a choice of Delice de Sole Victoria, Roast Quail and Garden Salad, Coeur de Filet George VI, Entrecote Steak Connaught, and Broiled Bluefish Baron Brisse. Mm... It smells so good. Finally the Parisian cityscape is replaced by French countryside as the train continues to rattle along its way.
Point about conversations,You don't need to roll a Listen check unless the conversation has it under a Spoiler button. Otherwise it's assumed that it was loud enough to be overheard - at least so far as the NPCs are concerned. The carriage is small enough and there aren't so many people that a confident man talking in a loud voice wouldn't be heard without too much trouble. If you weren't trying to eavesdrop, you might not pick up on what was said until after the word 'Gestapo' but feel free to take onboard anything that was said after that. Of course, if you feel your character was suitably distracted, too far away, etc. you can always use your own discretion on when to roll 'Listen' checks but it isn't necessary from my point of view unless it's Spoilered.

Return to “Social Cars”