Smoking Car

These cars are attached in the following order from the Sleeping Cars to the Kitchen Car and are intended for the guests to mingle: the Lounge Car (nonsmoking), the Bar Car (smoking), and the Dining Car (smoking). Please remember that even if you're just passing through you need to post in each car that you pass and briefly skim the prior three posts to see if your character is about to pass through a firefight.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Re: Smoking Car

Post by Laraqua »

Piano Bar Car, France, 23:15
This sophisticate carriage contains a long bar staffed by a bartender at one end and it opens its doors at 10AM to allow entrance to the Dining Car if need be although it doesn't serve alcohol until midday at which point the bar remains open and staffed until midnight wherein guests can mingle, listen to music, dance, and drink either on stools at the bar or on long couches upholstered in brown that face each other over the central aisle with a polished mahogany coffee table between them and a set of lamps on tables between each couch to provide additional lighting on top of the dim overhead lighting if need be. The couches are quite comfortable and the room is always nicely warm. Oftentimes this carriage is filled with the heady scent of cigarette smoke and ashtrays are plentiful on each table. A bartender works his magic at the bar which stands on one side of the car (closest to the door to the Lounge Car), with a pianist playing piano at the other end of the car alongside a gap about as wide as it is long which is used as an impromptu dance floor on occasion by those enjoying the bar.

Durante and Erminia Pontarelli speak together in low voices in Italian, gazing sidelong at a lonely Magdelena Bartenstein who seems to be desperately trying to ignore them.

Charles Gavigan, a gentleman in an expensive suit, remains on his bar stool with Johannes Sprech, watching the conductor head toward the dining car.

Farooqi Al-Rassam sits on a couch furthest away from everyone else, looking up at Kieran.
Farooqi smiles grimly. "Perhaps you should speak to Lord Linscott? He will be returning here shortly with my son. Hopefully he will arrive before things get any worse."
Monsier Stephane Thayer shakes his head a little after Wolfgang checks, in vain, for lumps. "If you'll excuse me, I'd better go see the Train Manager. I'm rather sorry to have disturbed your rest. I am, of course, at your service. It must just be a little migraine. Please, if you would wait here I'm sure the puppet show will commence shortly. Please enjoy the onboard entertainments." He says it all a little stiffly, obviously trying to cover up the aches and pains, before starting down the corridor to the Dining Car.

PRESENT: Charles Gavigan, Farooqi Al-Rassam, Durante Pontarelli, Erminia Pontarelli, Kieran, Magdelena Bartenstein, Johannes Sprech, Stephane Thayer, Wolfgang Ritter, Elene, Mr. & Mrs. Roby.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
fox01313
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Post by fox01313 »

Kieran replies to Farooqi while taking a seat nearby, "Thank you for this conversation & how Lord Linscott might provide some further illumination on the events of the train. I do enjoy a bit of travel that not only charges the body but the mind as well. Tell me what do you know Lord Linscott? The name sounds familiar but I think I've only heard of him in name a few times here or there but I know nothing of him."
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Farooqi nods. "Good to hear you're willing to keep an open mind. I don't rather know how to describe the fellow.... He's my son's friend. They met at university. It was mere happenstance that saw us on the same train heading to Istanbul."

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Take care," says Elena as the conductor leaves. She turns to Wolfgang. "I remember him from the corridor where I saw the flyers. He was affected by them too."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Wolfgang gives Elena a look of concern and he puts his hand on her arm.
Russian,[color=#0000BF]Are you feeling these pains too?[/color]
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elena smiles at Wolfgang.
Russian,[color=darkred]"No, I'm fine, thank you,"[/color] says [b]Elena[/b]. [color=darkred]"I just felt compelled to write what I wrote, and when I was done I was back to normal."[/color]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Wolfgang nodded, though he looked far from reassured.

Russian,[color=#0000BF]All right, just be careful. Something's going on, I just know it, but I can't put my finger on what it is.[/color]
He relaxes in his chair and has a drink.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Seon
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by Seon »

Jonathan bursts into the room panting. Recognizing Wolfgang from before, Jonathan Parker runs towards him.

"Quick!" Jonathan hissed. "I found another one, MUCH worse than the conductor-you have to help."

He glances fearfully behind him.
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

Jonathan's arrival is punctuated by the sound of unrestrained laughter as Lily rushes into the room. As she sees all the people gathered in the car, she comes to a halt and her laughter dies down to a giggle. "Oh," she says, hand over her mouth as she trembles with mirth, "I'm so sorry, how embarrassing. I think I must have frightened Mr. Parker."
I'm a smooth criminal and a neurotic lawyer with a crush on a pretty-boy author, and I'm being controlled by my creepy older brother (twice!) while I worry about not having a can opener.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elena looks at the new arrivals alertly, taking a sip of her drink as she observes them.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Wolfgang veers up and grabs Parker by the arm.
English roll,[dice]0[/dice]

"Vhat? I not understanding vhat you are say."

He offers Parker his drink in an effort to calm him down.

"Here, having zis for ze nerves. Vhat is ze matters?"
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

"No drink, no not now!" Parker hisses before leaning forward to whisper into Wolfgang's ear.

"I found her in a corridor... Looking deeply into one of those flyers. I asked her for assistance regarding locating Dr. Bedel and...uhh... She responded cryptically before beginning to act in a rather unnervingly erratic manner. I tried to lead her here like I did the conductor...when she suddenly gave chase laughing and cackling like a madwoman or a witch!"
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

Elena,[b]Lily[/b] seems to be in control of herself, save for the laughter she can't quite stifle. She doesn't seem sorry at all about having frightened [b]Mr. Parker[/b]--if anything, she [i]enjoys[/i] the fact that he seems so afraid of her.
"Mr. Parker, really now, there's no need to make a fuss! I thought you were playing with me when you ran away!"
I'm a smooth criminal and a neurotic lawyer with a crush on a pretty-boy author, and I'm being controlled by my creepy older brother (twice!) while I worry about not having a can opener.
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

Elena,Even though Parker appears jumpy and frightened, his eyes continuously darts from side to side, continuously scanning the room as if searching for an escape route. You would almost think that he's somehow used to being chased, if it wasn't for the fact that his skin is drained of color. Even though he appears to glance back towards Lily, his eyes actually are focusing somewhere behind her: towards the doors to the Smoking Car, towards the Lounge. He doesn't appear to be actually frightened of her.
"You don't have many acquaintances, do you, my lady?" Parker says.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elena speaks to Wolfgang.
Russian,[color=darkred]"He acts like he is terrified of her,"[/color] she says, [color=darkred]"but it is really something else, something back the way he came. She seems to have enjoyed chasing him and giving him a fright, but other than her barely controlled laughter she seems all right now."[/color]
To Jonathan she says: "Really, she seems harmless now. Surely you can't be afraid of her? I know those flyers can have an effect on people, but it is only temporary."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

Jonathan's eyes snap to Elena's.

"And could you clarify that, perhaps? You two seem to be more aware of things going on in this train...perhaps next to the Robys, and I want to know what the hell is going on in this train before I encounter another person affected by these...flyers... Of yours. Perhaps if they are causing health issues, they should be removed?"
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Wolfgang looks at the Lounge Car with some concern and then back to Elena.

Russian:,"[color=#0000BF]Isn't she the girl that went with dr. [b]Bedell[/b]? This journey is getting weirder and weirder, Lena, and I'm not sure it is the sort of weird I like, especially this close to Germany.[/color]"

Turning back to Jonathan, Wolfgang tries to put a more soothing tone in his voice.

"Listening, you should calming downs. Tell vhat is happened and vhy you runs away from zis girl. Unt ve are not more aware, ve are just keepink a level head. Zhere is no need to panicking."

Psychology (60%) on Lilly and Jonathan,Lilly [dice]0[/dice] Jonathan [dice]1[/dice]
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

"I already told you what happened!" Jonathan hisses. "If you cannot help me, then I must simply..."

Jonathan suddenly shakes his head, as if having an internal conflict, before leaning down to whisper quietly.

"If I may ask... Why exactly are you traveling through the Orient Expess? Your accent implies you are German, but you speak Russian and disapprove of the Nazis."
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

Wolfgang,[b]Lily[/b] seems to be in control of herself, save for the laughter she can't quite stifle. She doesn't seem sorry at all about having frightened [b]Mr. Parker[/b]--if anything, she [i]enjoys[/i] the fact that he seems so afraid of her.
Lily finally manages to get ahold of herself and stops giggling. She turns to Wolfgang with a wry smile.
French conversation,[color=#800080]"Do you speak French, sir? [b]Mr. Parker[/b] insulted me, turned around and asked for my help, then decided he didn't want it and offered to walk with me to the puppet show. Then he started running away from me! Can you believe it?"[/color]
Her tone is melodramatic at best.
Wolfgang,Her telling is obviously biased in her favor.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Gavigan rises from his stool to walk over towards Parker with a furrowed brow and the confident, slightly confused, air of an important figure who believes he truly is owed an explanation. "Excuse me, sir. What exactly is it that you accusing my sister of being?"
Parker,please roll under your POW. If you succeed, you feel the heavy weight of his pointed stare but remain uncowed. If you fail, you feel cowed and intimidated by the weight of his stare.
Lily,your brother isn't angry. If anything, he's just picking on Parker because you seem to have been doing so. Call it fraternal love.
Psychology,his gaze seems oddly intense but otherwise he doesn't seem particularly angry. More amused.

Return to “Social Cars”