Lounge Car

These cars are attached in the following order from the Sleeping Cars to the Kitchen Car and are intended for the guests to mingle: the Lounge Car (nonsmoking), the Bar Car (smoking), and the Dining Car (smoking). Please remember that even if you're just passing through you need to post in each car that you pass and briefly skim the prior three posts to see if your character is about to pass through a firefight.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Lounge Car

Post by Laraqua »

Lounge Car, Paris, 19:00
The lounge car is decorated in the Art Nouveau style with many a decorative flourish, particularly on the rich mahogany ceiling panels. Fresh flowers adorn the tables, at the moment blue orchids, with beautiful lamps adorning the window sills. Each table holds two very wide, oh so comfortable, arm chairs made with a blue-grey upholstery. The chairs are so large that they limit the number of people who can fit around the tables and therefore within the Lounge Car itself but on the plus side the chairs are perfectly comfortable and would be perfect for a quick snooze. It’s a perfect place to read by day, enjoy cocktails before dinner and a nightcap after dinner though the Bar Car works for a more active form of drinking. There is no smoking allowed in the Lounge Car. That is the province of the Bar Car. Occasionally a staff member may pass through this car to see if there is a need for any drinks, mostly coffee or tea, or anything else to keep people comfortable. Some people take their breakfast in this room rather than in their compartments or prefer to take a snack or light meal in this car. The teak wall panelling, inlaid with rosewood, are suffused with the scents and memories of bygone days. The carved scrolls, cornices, and scallops at the friezes and borders, are adorned with gilded metal flowers and that reach up but never reach the arched ceilings.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Mouchinator
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Re: Lounge Car

Post by Mouchinator »

Charles enters the Lounge Car and takes a look around. The space is excellently appointed and he moves for one of the plush chairs, choosing one at a table with a window and below one of the fine lamps. He takes a moment to smell one of the blue orchids filling a vase on his table and then opens his book, a worn copy of Jean-Jacques Rousseau's On The Social Contract, and begins to read. If a waiter/attendant is on hand, he politely requests a bottle of wine to be brought to him from the bar car. He stipulates the appellation would, ideally, be a St. Saint-Émilion from Château Ausone.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Lounge Car, Paris, 19:14
The lounge car is decorated in the Art Nouveau style with many a decorative flourish, particularly on the rich mahogany ceiling panels. Fresh flowers adorn the tables, at the moment blue orchids, with beautiful lamps adorning the window sills. Each table holds two very wide, oh so comfortable, arm chairs made with a blue-grey upholstery. The chairs are so large that they limit the number of people who can fit around the tables and therefore within the Lounge Car itself but on the plus side the chairs are perfectly comfortable and would be perfect for a quick snooze. It’s a perfect place to read by day, enjoy cocktails before dinner and a nightcap after dinner though the Bar Car works for a more active form of drinking. There is no smoking allowed in the Lounge Car. That is the province of the Bar Car. Occasionally a staff member may pass through this car to see if there is a need for any drinks, mostly coffee or tea, or anything else to keep people comfortable. Some people take their breakfast in this room rather than in their compartments or prefer to take a snack or light meal in this car. The teak wall panelling, inlaid with rosewood, are suffused with the scents and memories of bygone days. The carved scrolls, cornices, and scallops at the friezes and borders, are adorned with gilded metal flowers and that reach up but never reach the arched ceilings.

Charles is currently the only occupant but that is bound not last very long. While the Lounge Car doesn't have its own attendant, there is a fellow in uniform who walks past at one point who takes the order and the bartender from the Bar Car appears a few moments later with the requested drink even as the Orient Express begins to move out of the station and out into the darkened world of Paris beyond. Charles' observational skills notice nothing out of the ordinary thus far.
OOC,All new arrivals may read the prior post from Charles as he is currently still reading his book.

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Some minutes after the train has departed the station, Wolfgang enters the Lounge Wagon.

Wolfgang Ritter is a neatly dressed middle aged gentleman. He wears dark green tweeds with leather elbow patches and decent shoes. There's a red, star-like badge pinned to his lapel.
KNOW-check:,The red star symbolises the Popular Front, a broad coalition of leftist and center-left groups. The star was also borne in the flag of the International Brigades fighting against Franco.

He has medium length blond hair and rugged, sun worn features. He moves and talks with the casual self-confidence of someone who has seen much of the world and who has great confidence in his abilities.
Although Wolfgang is quick to smile and befriend people, he never completely loses his reserve.

He gives the other occupant of the wagon a friendly smile and takes a seat on the opposite side of the aisle. He puts a well-worn copy of Goethe's Faust on the armrest and pulls out a notepad and a pencil. After flicking through the book a few minutes, he takes some notes and looks around pensively.

He looks appreciatively at the title of Charles's book and tries some French:

Poor pidgin French,[color=#0000BF]Your the book is very tasty, yes? I love the Rousseau![/color]
French roll:,Speak:[dice]1[/dice] Understand: [dice]0[/dice]
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elena enters the lounge car and looks around, her newspaper folded and tucked under her arm.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Wolfganglooks up at Elena for a moment and gives her a friendly smile. He briefly inspects the title of her newspaper before going back to his notes/conversation with Charles.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elena returns the man's smile. The newspaper she carries is a copy of L'Humanité, in French. She says something to him and his companion in French.
French,[color=darkred]"Good evening,"[/color] says [b]Elena[/b].
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Wolfgang Ritter is a neatly dressed middle aged gentleman. He wears dark green tweeds with leather elbow patches and decent shoes. There's a red, star-like badge pinned to his lapel.
KNOW-check:,The red star symbolises the Popular Front, a broad coalition of leftist and center-left groups. The star was also borne in the flag of the International Brigades fighting against Franco.
He has medium length blond hair and rugged, sun worn features. He moves and talks with the casual self-confidence of someone who has seen much of the world and who has great confidence in his abilities.
Although Wolfgang is quick to smile and befriend people, he never completely loses his reserve.

Wolfgang missed most of what Elena said, but he nods again with a noticeable friendlier smile as he sees what paper she is reading.
French roll-Wolfgang didn't quite get it.,[dice]0[/dice]
He motions to the empty seat opposite him and tries in his best French:
"French",[color=#0000BF]Please, be kind to seat? I Wolfgang, What your beautiful name is?[/color]
Mouchinator
Layman
Layman

Post by Mouchinator »

Wolfgang's broken French brings a smile to Charles' face. Hearing the germanic accent in the man's french, he wonders if perhaps the man is from Alsace and so attempts to respond in German.

Language (Other - German - 31%) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4181751/
Apologies fellow,yet the Germany I talk is same wellness as your French I think. Faust is good tale, but devil story is very black yes?
Charles chuckles slightly at the communication struggles and tries to find some middle ground. In English he says: "Our German and French are not quite up to snuff, perhaps you speak English?"

To Elena, he nods and wishes her a pleasant evening in French.

OOC - how does one put a title/label on a spoiler button to avoid having hidden text bleed through onto the button? cheers.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Wolfgang laughs and shakes his head.
Interesting English with a heavy German accent,[color=#0000BF] "My English and French are two beans in shell, yes? But no problem with international fellowship, no?"[/color]
He holds up Faust and says in slow and clear, though somewhat academic German:
Slow and clearly pronounced German (I'm sure you get a bonus for that),[color=#0000BF]"Goethe writes as much about the human condition as Rousseau does. You might say that both have high praise for the noble savage,as it is Faust's desires inspired by modern society that lead to his downfall."[/color]

OOC: Type what you want the spoilerbar to read and then a comma. All text before your first comma will be in the spoiler bar, the rest will be hidden.
Mouchinator
Layman
Layman

Post by Mouchinator »

Charles laughs again and tries to practice his German.
More broken German,What is it bringing you on train to Constantinople? I ride train for business.
Other Language (German) - 31% - ttp://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4181844/
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Wolfgangseems to have taken a liking to his polyglot compagnon du route and delights in the conversation.
Broken French,[color=#0000BF] I look for comrade in yeast. Behind Istanbul I north go to Union Soviets.[/color]
He notes down the page he was on and puts down the book, neatly closing the notepad and tucking away his pencil.
When someone from the staff passes by, he asks for something anise-based, like pernod.
Dodgy Germanic English,[color=#0000BF]So what business are someone reading Rousseau in Istanbul? Or much rather hidden?[/color]
His eyes seem to twinkle with curiosity at the suggested espionage.
Mouchinator
Layman
Layman

Post by Mouchinator »

Charles pours himself a glass of wine from his bottle and takes a sip.
German of a sort,I am opener of market for company in Paris. Constantinople major market city in history, doorway to east! My company invest in many goods, but first interest is tabacco. You know Latakia? From Syria, much easy to find in Turkey. My book personal best of politic thinking, but maybe I get my Hegel to make you feel more like at home? Is Prussian but same-same for you now yes?
Charles smiles and takes takes a business card out of his jacket pocket and hands it to Wolfgang. In french and english, the card clearly reads: Charles Belanger, Vice-President of Emerging Markets, Beaufort and Latour Industries.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Wolfgang takes Charles' card, inspects it, and then tucks it into his notebook.
French of some description,[color=#0000BF]I smoking not, afraid. Condolences, no visiting card. Wolfgang Ritter, my name is. Lecturer Literature Germanic in Munich before NSD...before go to Spain.[/color]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elena's smile widens as she sits down in the offered seat. She is tall and slender, with black hair descending to her shoulders, and rather pretty. She wears a stylish black dress, with a lightweight blue overcoat. She has a black fur-lined hat on her head, and her hands are covered by white gloves. Slung over her right arm is a large black handbag, and tucked under her left is the newspaper.

"Thank you, Comrade," she says in English. "My name is Elena Orloff, and I'm always pleased to meet fellow travelers."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Wolfgang didn't fail to notice the stylish woman's beauty and he appreciated the way she sat down, his smile widened as he found he'd correctly assessed her ethnicity.

Charmed acquaintance of travelling fellows, Elena Orloff, surely when they are as charming as you.

He tries to guide her into the conversation the two men were having.

"Are you travelled to Istanbul also?"
Last edited by DrPeterson on Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The train car is warm and comfortable as they move out across the Parisian cityscape, glimpses of brightly lit streets and passing buildings visible through windows whose blinds have been drawn partially up. At present there is no one in the car but for the trio. Everyone else must still be putting their things away or getting comfortable in their compartments. Soon there is likely to be a rush of people eager to meet and greet but for now there is a gentle quiet.
OOC,You don't need to tuck English comments away within Spoilers as the majority can speak it well and the odd one out can simply not read any non-spoilered dialogue as it's naturally English.

jdd2035
Layman
Layman

Post by jdd2035 »

Johnny definitely stuck out like a sore thumb the chime of his spurs announcing his arrival before most could spot the cowboy hat which the the chagrin of most "proper people" he was still wearing. He gave a nod to the three people in the lounge and looked for a seat near the only person he sort of knew on the train. "Yall don't mind me sittin here do yall?" he asked as he smiled at the trio.
John Adams was a farmer. Abraham Lincoln was a small-town lawyer. Plato, Socrates were teachers. Jesus was a carpenter. To equate judgment and wisdom with occupation is at best... insulting.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I certainly don't mind if you join us," says Elena. "Yes, I'm going all the way to Istanbul," she replies to Wolfgang. "So, what did you do in Spain? I've been there before myself. It's a beautiful country. It's just a terrible shame what's happened to it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Wolfgang pulls in his legs so Johnny can pass, offering him a heavily accented "Wilkome" as he does so. He takes his notebook and Faust and tucks it under his seat, so there's more room. After taking a sip from his pernod, he looks at Elena and speaks with a sad tone to his voice.

"Ve try stop what happen but did not realise."

He sadly shakes his head and his hand goes to the badge on his lapel, which he strokes affectionately.

"I vere in ze 15th brigade. At Segovia after zey blew ze bridge."

A tone of anger creeps in his voice and you notice his right hand is squeezing the upholstery of his seat rather vigorously.
"If Franco vas victorious, it vas not because of no fire in ze heart's of his opp..opno...", he swallows and takes a breath of air. "of his Feinde."

He leans back into his couch and shakes his head again.

"Sorry, not vant lose comp..cop..calm."

Return to “Social Cars”