Smoking Car

These cars are attached in the following order from the Sleeping Cars to the Kitchen Car and are intended for the guests to mingle: the Lounge Car (nonsmoking), the Bar Car (smoking), and the Dining Car (smoking). Please remember that even if you're just passing through you need to post in each car that you pass and briefly skim the prior three posts to see if your character is about to pass through a firefight.
fox01313
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Re: Smoking Car

Post by fox01313 »

Kieran continues in the conversation "Well Hitler might be a good leader, he might not be but I have no problem or preference on who decides to lead some country as just about every race has done for all the countries over the world. However if you feel he's that good of a leader then you can feel free to leave the rather expanding & free Americas for someone like that as I won't stop you."

Then looks at his watch, "well it's rather late & with all the recent travels, I have a few things to attend to, good night", looking over to the bartender "thanks for the excellent whiskey." And leave to the sleeping cabin to read a little then get some sleep.
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by Laraqua »

Nico passes down the corridor of the Smoking Car, looking about herself, before finally passing through into the Dining Car which should be closed for the night.

Kieran leaves the Smoking Car for the Lounge Car.
OOC,I'm going to slowly lead you through all of the cars as there's different elements going on in each one. The Lounge Car, for example, is oddly quiet and tense but for one man and woman. Post there that you're leaving (or interact with folks) and then you'll need to post in Jeanette's corridor - which may have it's own issues and encounters and so on.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Piano Bar Car, Chalons-sur-Marne, 21:45
This sophisticate carriage contains a long bar staffed by a bartender at one end and it opens its doors at 10AM to allow entrance to the Dining Car if need be although it doesn't serve alcohol until midday at which point the bar remains open and staffed until midnight wherein guests can mingle, listen to music, dance, and drink either on stools at the bar or on long couches upholstered in brown that face each other over the central aisle with a polished mahogany coffee table between them and a set of lamps on tables between each couch to provide additional lighting on top of the dim overhead lighting if need be. The couches are quite comfortable and the room is always nicely warm. Oftentimes this carriage is filled with the heady scent of cigarette smoke and ashtrays are plentiful on each table.

The train begins to gather speed as it leaves the station at Chalons-sur-Marne. The station platform seems dark and cold outside as though France itself were trapped in a cool and foreboding Autumn. A bartender works his magic at the bar which stands on one side of the car (closest to the door to the Lounge Car), with a pianist playing piano at the other end of the car alongside a gap about as wide as it is long which is used as an impromptu dance floor on occasion by those enjoying the bar.

Farooqi Al-Rassam has a seat on a couch not far from the pianist though he seems to only have eyes for the bartender. Nora and George Rimwald share a couch and are in eager discussions about the glories of fascism with Durante and Erminia Pontarelli though Durante seems to be watching Magdalena Bartenstein (who visibly holds no similarity in appearance to him) with an almost fatherly interest. George Rimwald mentions, at one point, that the children are only so annoying because they are being left in the company of a black kid. He doesn't seem to notice that the little black girl is the shy and best behaved one.

Four children play on and around the dance floor. Harriet and Henry Roby dance the foxtrot with clumsy abandon while Magdelena Bartenstein claps and giggles with an almost over eager desire to be happy. Nafy Hijazi, the youngest of them whose skin is close to the literal colour of black while the two dancing siblings have the pallor of England, is quietly standing beside Magdalena, chewing her thumbnail and smiling shyly. Unable to get on the dance floor herself though clearly part of her wishes to join the others.

Kliment Rukov, a handsome man with a Russian accent, sits on a bar stool and talks in good English to Sulamen Hijazi, about the colour bar in America and how nasty American fascists can be. Sulamen Hijazi, however, points out that while he didn't get the chance to speak with the American cowboy who had boarded the train, the man had looked at him as a human being. He can't say the same about George Rimwald who seems to regard no one as human until they admit to sharing his views. However, George does seem to have a special hostility to his gaze.

Minoo Hijazi and Waleed Hijazi are discussing something in an African language. They hold hands and seem to be having a sweet moment, occasionally smiling over at Nafy.

Johannes Sprech sits at the bar on a stool, sipping a glass of expensive champagne and idly watching those around him.

PRESENT: George Rimwald, Nora Rimwald, Farooqi Al-Rassam, Durante Pontarelli, Erminia Pontarelli, Harriet Roby, Henry Roby, Magdelena Bartenstein, Kliment Rukov, Sulamen Hijazi, Waleed Hijazi, Johannes Sprech, Minoo Hijazi and Nafy Hijazi

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Raziel
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Raziel »

Dr Fernand Bedel enters the car seemingly with a single minded purpose. To get him self a drink. Moving directly to the bar and taking up a stool he orders a french brandy, and proceeds to stare into it. He looks around but seems to fail to find what he's looking for, and instead returns his attention to his drink.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The man on the barstool next to Bedel turns to regard him as he stares down at his drink.
German,"Forgive me, but I couldn't help but notice your accent as you boarded the train. Your French is very good but you are initially from Germany, are you not?"

Raziel
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Raziel »

German,[color=#0040FF]"Yes that is right,"[/color] he says struggling not to roll his eyes.
Last edited by Raziel on Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seon
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by Seon »

Parker gives the man on the bar a glance before continuing on through the smoking car to the dining room.
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

Lily pulls Charles into the Smoking Car, and her eyes light up at the sight of so many people. She tilts her head in the direction of the bar and gives Charles a questioning look.
Last edited by Kadael on Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a smooth criminal and a neurotic lawyer with a crush on a pretty-boy author, and I'm being controlled by my creepy older brother (twice!) while I worry about not having a can opener.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Charles smiles at her indulgently. "I am a man of my word, Lily. You may drink as much as you like though beware the natural consequences of too much liquor." He draws her over to the bar.

------------------
The man smiles. It is not a kind smile.
German,"One can never forget one's origins, [b]Dr. Bedel[/b]. You would do well to remember that."
------------------

No one intercepts Parker on his way through to the Dining Car though George Rimwald does comment rather loudly that the Dining Car is meant to be closed so why are so many passengers entering it?

Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

Lily takes a seat at the bar, blinks at the bartender, then turns to look at Charles. "Uhm-- do you know what's good here?"
I'm a smooth criminal and a neurotic lawyer with a crush on a pretty-boy author, and I'm being controlled by my creepy older brother (twice!) while I worry about not having a can opener.
Raziel
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Raziel »

German,Why thankyou for your kind concern. May I ask you how you know me?
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The bartender smiles at Lily, though his gaze flicks to Charles first, "Can I serve you anything, sir? Madam?"
Sprech gives Bedel a chilling smile before turning to Charles. "Ah, Mr. Gavigan. I almost didn't see you there."
Charles holds out his hand. "Ah, Sprech. Good to see you again. Please calls me Charles."
Sprech shakes his hand, his smile broadening. "Such informality! You are a very different man to your father."
"As are you," says Charles, with a mischevious gleam in his eye.
"Call me Johannes," says Sprech.
"Johanes, this is my dear sister Lily," says Charles, gesturing to the young woman beside him. "She's very precious to me."

Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

Lily gives Johannes a small nod and a polite smile. "I'm pleased to meet you, sir. How do you do?"
Raziel
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Raziel »

Dr Bedel turns to sprech with an overly happy expression and a chuckle.
German,"Johannes Sprech is it. You know my professor had a saying, never intimidate a doctor. They know every way a man can die."
With one final gulp he finishes his whisky and nods to the two new people speaking to Sprech before heading in the direction of the lounge car.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Charles stares after the doctor's departing back. "Making friends again, are we? You should beware that one."
Sprech relaxes on his chair and nods to the bartender. "A round of your best scotch, if you will." He then eyes Charles thoughtfully. "And whyever should I beware him?"
"He reminds me of someone I used to know," says Charles softly, rubbing at the side of his throat. "Another man, another time, seemingly a lifetime ago."
Sprech nods.

The bartender delivers them all their drinks. An odd-smelling brownish liquid is placed before Lily. Time for her first alcoholic drink.

Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

Lily watches her brother and Johannes curiously, before she is distracted by the arrival of her drink. She picks up the glass and swirls the alcohol a little, her expression almost dreamy. Then she smells it, raises an eyebrow, and takes an experimental sip.

Her eyes grow comically wide and she tightens her mouth into a frown. She squirms a bit as she recomposes herself.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Sprech looks over at the young white girl standing beside Nafy. "See that child? Her name is Magdalena Bartenstein. She is for the moment rich Jewess since her parents died and left her an orphan with a reasonably large life insurance pay out. Regrettably while they became French citizens, they did not think to do the same with her and so now she is being sent back to Germany."
Charles' brow furrows. "I thought the French were helping Jewish refugees."
Sprech smiles. "A few. She was too young to know to whom to turn and ask. She had none to defend her and so she has been expelled. Thus she took her inheritance and due to her fears of what would happen to this fabulous new wealth she spent it on herself and on this trip. I would not be surprised if she had a mink coat in her compartment." He pauses. "The German authorities are doubtless informed. They will take her when she leaves the train and hope to find some of her wealth in her suitcases. The Third Reich has a need of wealth."

Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

Lily sighs loudly, staring into her glass of scotch and taking another tentative sip. She stares at the two men for a moment before sliding carelessly into the conversation. "Do you always have such... political conversations with your associates, Charles? I didn't know you had an interest; you never talk to me about these things."
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"Of course not, dear," says Charles, barely keeping his exasperation from his voice. "You know nothing of politics. If you would prefer more feminine conversations then you may approach anyone in this car for such a thing."

Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

Lily smiles acidly at him. "I do apologize. I wouldn't want to go running off without your permission, Charles." She rises from the bar stool, glass still in hand, and goes off to the couches in order to eavesdrop on the American couple.

Return to “Social Cars”