Dining Car

These cars are attached in the following order from the Sleeping Cars to the Kitchen Car and are intended for the guests to mingle: the Lounge Car (nonsmoking), the Bar Car (smoking), and the Dining Car (smoking). Please remember that even if you're just passing through you need to post in each car that you pass and briefly skim the prior three posts to see if your character is about to pass through a firefight.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Re: Dining Car

Post by Laraqua »

Show for the two Russian speaking Psychology rolls,find this fellow - http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=261&t=4246#p146293 - seems to be paying more interest than most. He sits on a table for two behind them. Whether he's straining enough to hear their whispers or not is a whole other story. If he did hear their rather conspirational dialogue, he's not showing any surprise. Other then him, everyone else seems deeply embroiled in their own conversation. Except for Magda, the little girl, who visibly flinched at the word Kristallnacht. The man who recently entered and sits alone appears to be generally listening in that polite I-Don't-Know-Anyone kind of way but the vacant look he occasionally casts in their direction suggests he either does not speak Russian or sits too far away to overhear anything of import.
Amadi Al-Rassam politely avoids looking at the wine glasses and instead turns his attention to Charles as he takes a seat. "It looks like the four of us will be continuing on to Istanbul. That's good to hear. With so few passengers aboard this train it would be a shame if we ended up with only one sleeping car finishing the journey. I suppose that at least with such an intimate gathering of passengers we will have a chance to get to know each other very well."
The waiter recommends the Plover Eggs to Dominic.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elena squeezes Wolfgang's hand back and whispers again.
Russian,[color=darkred]"Don't look now, but I think we are being watched,"[/color] she whispers. [color=darkred]"We should only discuss certain matters in private."[/color]
She returns her voice to normal volume.
Russian,[color=darkred]"You are most welcome, [b]Wolfgang[/b],"[/color] says [b]Elena[/b]. [color=darkred]"The pleasure would be mine. Of course, I have not actually begun to write the book yet. I probably won't start that until I'm home."[/color]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 5 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Wolfgang nods slowly, trying to not let the added caution seep into his voice or body language. He reluctantly lets go of Elena's hand as the waiter comes to refill their glass, nevertheless he manages to kindly thank the man in broken French.
Russian,[color=#0000BF] There is something about the way you say it that has an almost mystical nature to it. Tell me of your home, [b]Elena[/b], I want to know everything.[/color]
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
MC Lovecraft
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Post by MC Lovecraft »

Colman walks into the dining car and politely asks the maitre d' for a table for one, preferable somewhat close to another populated table.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elena laughs merrily.
Russian,[color=darkred]"Everything?"[/color] she asks. [color=darkred]"That could take some time...so I'd better get started. Red Square is something you simply must see. It is beautiful all the year round. In fall, the leaves of the trees turn many lovely colors, and in winter, there is a coating of snow over everything. The square gets its name not from the color of the bricks and not as a reference to Communism, but because in Russian the same word can be used for 'red' and 'beautiful' - and it certainly lives up to its name."[/color]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The Maitre D nods at Colman's request, naturally taking his desire to sit near populated tables as a sign that he would like to meet new people. "If you would like an introduction, I am sure I could find someone who might like to sit with you. There are many people here who are eager to make new acquaintances." He pauses, thoughtfully. "It is almost time for main meals. Would you prefer to start with your entree and take your meals later than the others or would you prefer to go for the main meal? While we haven't yet received your order, I am sure there is something nice that could be served shortly, courtesy of the chef."
Colman only,There is no sign of Kieran in the Dining Car and you didn't see him in the Lounge Car and Piano Bar Car which you passed on your way here. He must be in either the Private Car or someone else's compartment.

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
MC Lovecraft
Layman
Layman

Post by MC Lovecraft »

"I think I'll be fine with just a table and a Martini please. Very dry, lots of olives. Thank you," Colman says.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"As you wish, Monsieur," says the Maitre D, leading him to a table for 2. After ensuring that Colman is settled and given his martini, the fellow heads off to attend to any further business that the others might have for him.

MC Lovecraft
Layman
Layman

Post by MC Lovecraft »

After thanking the maitre d', lighting his pipe, and taking a few sips of his martini, Colman leans over to whomever is closest to his table and says "Quite the train, isn't it?" Hoping to make some smalltalk to pass the time.
Shroudeye
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Shroudeye »

Dominic hails the Maitre D and asks for the eggs but instead of aspic jelly, he decided on a bed of rice. Thinking his digestion would appreciate this slight change to the meal would go a long way toward feeling better about this vacation. He sipped his water, not wanting to get any of the condensation on his clothes. Dominic overhears the new arrival to the car and responds in kind. "Yes it is my son. Would you care to dine with me so that it is less so? " The odor of the pipe does not bother him, for it is less offensive than most other tobacco products he had the misfortune to encounter in the past. Dominic would enjoy having someone to talk to on this train and hoped he would not dine alone on his first meal of the journey.
Dominic Pius,[img]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/vivamort/9a744e86-6041-4877-9939-8b09618a763f_zps1aa96268.jpg~original[/img] Dominic Pius,Ph.D., Reverend-Professor of Psychology, Boston College on Holiday Description: Male, Age 38, 5'8" Tall, 165 lb., Blonde Hair, Blue Eyes, wears modest attire Demeanor: Mild mannered, speaks little among strangers, always polite, good listener
Dominic Pius, The Last Express

Raymond MacIntyre, The Shadow Over Dunwich

Daedalus Wickliff, The Aquitania

I don't want to see another cop or cookie in my life. I don't know which one makes me sicker
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

He smiles, warmed by Elena's enthusiasm.
Russian,[color=#0000BF]Is it truly as grand as I have heard? I've been told that if you stand with your back against St Vasili's Cathedral, you can't make out the other end of the square.[/color]
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by aine »

Cecil savours the St. Emillion, "It's very fine, it's a shame you can't try it." He says to Amadi mischievously. As he drinks, his ears pick up a voice he seems to recognise, then he loses it in the blur of the din of diners and clattering cutlery. "How long do you plan to stay in Constantinople?" He asks Farooqui. "Any sign of you-know-who?" He asks Amadi.
MC Lovecraft
Layman
Layman

Post by MC Lovecraft »

"That would be just grand Father." Colman says as he puffed his pipe. Some companionship might help liven up the evening. He extended his hand toward the priest for a handshake. "Pleased to meet you sir. Colman Fallon: University of Oxford assistant history professor and, at the moment, tourist. What might your name be Father?"
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Dining Car, Paris, 20:00
The Dining Car is an illustrious affair of white tablecloths, gleaming silverware, crystal wine glasses and friendly conversations in Italian, French, English and Russian with a touch of German here and there. The four-course dinner is a lavish affair judging from the various entrees that have been eaten and are currently being swept aside by the polite waitors. The curtains are tied back to reveal the Parisian cityscape as you sit at your table. There is a small partition that divides the smoking from the non-smoking halves of the train. A red curtain at the far end of the car lead to the Kitchen Car. Due to the surprisingly small number of bookings for this trip diners have been given the option of eating during either the First or the Second Service, as they please.
Currently the Dining Car has grown nearly full with individuals who sit in the two sections of the Dining Car. Mention if you don't like where your character is positioned and I may swap it around. The corridor isn't as wide as indicated on the floorplan because this floorplan wasn't originally representing the right type of Dining Car.

The soup arrives at the tables and the Dining Car is soon filled with the aroma of delicious meals. Passengers were given a choice at the start of their dining from five options including Green Turtle au Sherry, Consomme Froid Madrilene, Onion Soup or either Hot or Cold Consomme and their chosen plate is soon settled before them. Dominic is given his entree as the soups arrive for the others but will be given his soup the moment he is done with his entree.
Farooqi smiles mysteriously. "That does depend upon my business associates. Things tend to move at their own pace in Turkey as opposed to the greater efficiency one might find in Iraq. Also, the city hasn't been called Constantinople since 1930. It's now called Istanbul. I know. Not as romantic a name as the original."
Amadi has a quick scan of the passengers in the Dining Car. He is in prime position to see through the partition and down toward the entrance side of the Dining Car from his position on the right. "No, there's no one we have spoken about though I do believe I recognise someone I once met at Oxford. I'm no good with faces, however, compared to yourself so I'm unsure if I do know him." He sighs and runs his finger around the mouth of the glass of water he has before him as the waitors place the Green Turtle au Sherry before him. "I had hoped the mysterious person from the Private Car might be in attendance for the first Dining Service but if they are then they are not particularly noteworthy or noticeable. We may need to find an excuse to remain for the Second Service."
The Maitre D smiles at Dominic's request and promises to see what he can do.
The children at the corner table seem to be eagerly chatting away about their favourite stories from nursery rhymes to Enyd Blyton to other novelists. Nafy seems to be the most shy about it but apparently she is an avid Enid Blyton reader. Her favorite is Adventures of the Wishing-Chair. Henry asks in a good-natured enough manner whether the black washes off of Nafy and whether she makes more like paint through her skin because her hands are paler than the rest of her. Nafy seems to find the idea funny and shakes her head, giggling. Henry seems a bit awestruck about her dark skin.

Shroudeye
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Shroudeye »

Dominic rose a short amount to greet the newcomer and extended his hand in friendship as well. "Nice to me you lad. My Name is Professor Pius, Dominic Pius. It is so very nice to meet a fellow traveler and teacher. "Please sit and enjoy the comfort. Today I am just another tourist, please just call me Dominic." The older man then smiled. It was a genuine grin, one that was pleasant and also engraciating.
Dominic Pius,[img]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/vivamort/9a744e86-6041-4877-9939-8b09618a763f_zps1aa96268.jpg~original[/img] Dominic Pius,Ph.D., Reverend-Professor of Psychology, Boston College on Holiday Description: Male, Age 38, 5'8" Tall, 165 lb., Blonde Hair, Blue Eyes, wears modest attire Demeanor: Mild mannered, speaks little among strangers, always polite, good listener
OOC,I see by the seating chart that my character could have very well spotted an associate of his that he did not know was on the train. How to proceed?
Dominic Pius, The Last Express

Raymond MacIntyre, The Shadow Over Dunwich

Daedalus Wickliff, The Aquitania

I don't want to see another cop or cookie in my life. I don't know which one makes me sicker
MC Lovecraft
Layman
Layman

Post by MC Lovecraft »

Colman grins and shakes Dominic's hand warmly. He then walks over to the priest's table and joins him "I appreciate the hospitality." Colman says as he eases his way into the chair facing Dominic. "If you don't mind me asking Dominic, have you met a certain Kieran Mclaugherty while on the train. He's a old acquaintance of mine, but his presence has alluded me for this entire trip thus-far."
Last edited by MC Lovecraft on Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elena's voice fills with excitement and nostalgia.
Russian,[color=darkred]"Oh, it's true,"[/color] says [b]Elena[/b]. [color=darkred]"Red Square is about two city blocks across. The Kremlin's domes are simply a magnificent sight, too. I've never been to Münich before, [b]Wolfgang[/b]. What is it like?"[/color]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Wolfgang smells the Madrilene consommé and lets out an appreciative sigh.
Russian,[color=#0000BF]Munich is a difficult place, difficult but beautiful. It is a city of extremes, it can't do just a little of anything. The Marienplatz is a great deal smaller than the Red Square, but it is very beautiful, opulently decorated and rimmed with fantastic medieval buildings. [/color]
He smiles, obviously happy to share the memory.
Russian,[color=#0000BF]Did you know that Vladimir Iljitch Lenin lived in Munich for a while? We even were a Soviet Republic for a few months, but then the Freikorps put an end to that. And a few years after that, the nationalists decided to start their bid for power in our city...[/color]
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by aine »

Cecil leans forward to Amadi and says conspiratorially,
"I can assure you the illustrious person is NOT here partaking in this fine repast." He grins and whispers,
Amadi,[color=#0000BF]"I can't see any beautiful lady of a certain middle-eastern style here at all.[/color]"
He leans back and drinks some wine, watching for Amadi's response.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Amadi's eyes widen for a moment and he whistles low under his breath. "Any names?"

Return to “Social Cars”