The Orient Express Platform

While the stops are often quite brief affairs and guests are encouraged to stay on the train unless departing it is possible for someone to take a quick stroll around the platform though do remember that most stops only take 1 - 2 minutes at a maximum. One can also always gazed out of the window and who knows what one might see? Each stop shall have its own thread as shall any countryside changes for those wish to remark upon them. When in doubt, the latest thread has what is currently visible.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

The Orient Express Platform

Post by Laraqua »

Gare de l'Est, Paris, 18:45
Outside of the Gare de l'Est is a newspaper stall, a cafe, a restaurant, a jewellery store and other such fine stores. On the exterior at the top of the west façade of the Gare de l'Est is a statue by the sculptor Philippe-Joseph-Henri Lemaire, representing the city of Strasbourg, while the east end of the station is crowned by a statue personifying Verdun, by Varenne. These two cities are important destinations serviced by Gare de l'Est.

Inside, steel support struts and bars line the curved roof, holding up rotund grey lights. Arched windows fill the second floor of the west and east walls with frosted glass that glints in the fading light. A a large painting signed by Alfred Herter (1926) shows the soldiers of 1914 leaving for the front hangs proudly above the ticketing booths. Representations of agricultural products and coat of arms of the 32 most important cities of eastern France decorate the access arcade.

Within the Gare de l'Est, once you get through the first part of the immense building you can reach the section where the Orient Express travels, where there are only two tracks. The Orient Express will be on the far track though it isn't due to arrive for another fifteen minutes or so judging by the large clock placed among the support struts.

There are a few people already milling about the train station platform. A French gendarme stands awkwardly beside a ten-year-old girl with red-rimmed eyes and shadows of sleep deprivation beneath them who sits upon two leather luggage cases. A handsome man stands beside an enormous luggage case about three feet high by three feet long and one and a half feet across alongside a regular luggage case - how he is going to fit them both inside his compartment is anyone's guess. A forlorn womandabs at her eyes as she stands just off to one side, not far from where people scurry to catch other trains, dabbing away at tears that keep springing to her eyes.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
jdd2035
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Re: The Orient Express Platform

Post by jdd2035 »

Johnny had made his way out of the cafe and started making his way through the milling crowed toward his train car as he moved he explained to Elena "My horse tore open its frog and it'll take a month for it to heal. 'Till then I figured I'd take a look around Europe maybe take a look at some of them Arabian horses while I'm down that way."

As Johnny continued to talk with his two new acquaintances a man with a few large suit cases started shouting while a second guy sped off toward where Johnny was. The guy who was running away was soon being pursued by French police ordering him to stop but clearly the thief had no intention of stopping and was actually gaining distance from the police.

Dropping his knapsack to the ground Johnny and reached in producing a rope and looked at Elena and Virgil (if he's still around) and said "Yall watch my saddle bags" and stepped enough to be clear of passers by and let the noose of his rope slide open to about six feet in diameter rolled it above his head and let it loose.
Roping,http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4162952/
The rope flew on target and looped around the thief's shoulders and almost instantly snapped taught with a loud ~!pop!~ as Johnny jerked the rope back.

The thief's head and shoulders snapped back and his feet flew forward high above his head as he came crashing down against the deck of the platform. To most bystanders this was something out of an old Western Stories Magazine or film and with in a few moments Johnny had taken the other end of the rope and hog tied the thief. When he was done he straightened and turned like a Rodeo star to the applause of a few witnesses.

Looking up to Elena Johnny said "Did I mention that I was also a champeen calf roper?"
John Adams was a farmer. Abraham Lincoln was a small-town lawyer. Plato, Socrates were teachers. Jesus was a carpenter. To equate judgment and wisdom with occupation is at best... insulting.
Raziel
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by Raziel »

Hearing the commotion Fernand comes running out of the cafe toward the man collapsed on the ground.
French,"Is everyone alright. Is anyone hurt I'm a Doctor." Those with an ear for French can tell he speaks it with a German accent.
He then immediately goes about checking on the man.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The roped pickpocket looks up at Fernand with tears in his eyes as the gendarmes stop a few feet away, looking about as shocked as the thief. The kid starts babbling, clearly terrified and confused, though otherwise unharmed other than a few scrapes on his knee and one elbow that abraded the fabric. Fernand's unused to investigating someone trussed up like a calf so he can't be certain there's nothing else - but the context of the fall and the youth's age makes it quite unlikely that there's any lasting harm or internal damage.
French Conversation,"Oh please, oh please, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean t'do it! My ma's hungry and I gots lots of little brothers and sisters. Oh please, oh please! Don't let them gendarmes take me. T'wasn't my fault! T'wasn't my fault!"
The gentleman who still stands by the large suitcase takes about a dozen feet towards them, stopping to take a look back at his case before saying, "Hey now, let the blighter go! There's no real harm in it now you're rescued my wallet." He speaks in educated English, though those who have an ear for accents can recognise the Russian underpinnings.
He then says in clear French to the gendarmes,"Let him go! I'm not pressing charges and I'll plead him innocent. I stiffed him money for a shoe shine so I suppose it's my own fault. Now don't cause any more of a scene, please."
The gendarmes seem unconvinced and says (in English), "Very sorry, sir, but we cannot have pickpockets running loose about the station."
The youth weeps in French,"I wasn't! I wasn't! He'd stiffed me and I was silly! I'm a shoe shine. I'd never do that!"

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
jdd2035
Layman
Layman

Post by jdd2035 »

Johnny looked to Virgil or Elena for a translation of the French while he loosened the noose from around the pickpocket. "I only speak English and bad English some one care to let me in on whats goin on?"

Looking at the gendarmes Johnny coiled up his rope and tried all-be-it unsuccessfully to talk to them "Hey c'mon deputy he got mule skinned in-front of the entire train station I think he learnt his lesson give 'im a break."
John Adams was a farmer. Abraham Lincoln was a small-town lawyer. Plato, Socrates were teachers. Jesus was a carpenter. To equate judgment and wisdom with occupation is at best... insulting.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The unknown man gives Johnny an approving smile and a nod. "I can't imagine a fairer deal than that. My wallet, please?"

The pickpocket pulls out the wallet and holds it out in a trembling hand. One of the gendarmes grabs the wallet and smartly walks back to give it to the unknown man while the other gendarme hauls the pickpocket back to his feet and quickly handcuffs him. The pickpocket is looking very sorry for himself, crying and pleading and making such a scene that the gendarme is plainly uncomfortable, especially as all of the well-dressed Orient Express passengers are looking this way. More of well-heeled passengers seem to be arriving every minute.

jdd2035
Layman
Layman

Post by jdd2035 »

Johnny was slowly getting out of his comfort zone but that's what you get when you leap before you look he shrugged apologetically to the kid and started to ease himself out of the lime light commenting to the unknown man "Was worth a shot, glad you got your wallet back. Feel bad 'bout the kid though."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elena watches, impressed, as Johnny lassoes the pickpocket. "Apparently the boy shined the man's shoes, and the man stiffed him," she translates into English for him. "That's why the boy took his wallet, but the man does not want to press charges." She speaks to the gendarmes in French, smiling.
French,[color=darkred]"[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4164440/]I'm sure it will be all right if you release him[/url], as long as he promises not to do it again. Anyway, if you arrest him, think of all the paperwork you'll have to do."[/color]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Raziel
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Raziel »

French,"I am sure he has learned his lesson and I am glad no one is hurt."
Fernand straightens and dusts himself off.
French,"If you need medical help from your fall just come find me."
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The gendarme looks over at her, frowning, but then seems to soften a little. "All right, but we do it quietly," he murmurs to those within earshot. "I do not want complaints from the company." He then flaps his hands irritably in the boy's direction and the two gendarmes move off into the crowd, releasing him once most of the passengers have returned their attention to the empty train tracks and the lack of a train. Considering that the train will be setting off in twenty minutes, one would have thought it would be here by now.

jdd2035
Layman
Layman

Post by jdd2035 »

"Beauty of a lasso" Johnny mused to Elena. "Thank ya, for springin the kid." he said looking around for the train. He looked down both directions of the track and then looked to both Elena and Virgil "Aint the train 'sposed t'be here?"
Raziel
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Raziel »

This incident causes Fernand to remember his own luggage. Double checking the time. He heads toward his traveling case still sitting waiting to be loaded aboard the train once it arrives. He checks the case heedless of the clothing, insuring his books are in order.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The baggage still sits in its two neat little piles under the watchful eye of several porters who stand around the baggage. The porters look impatient and slightly concerned until they realise that one of the passengers are approaching and then they are suddenly all smiles and congeniality. One of the porters approaches Fernand with a gentle and understanding smile.
Porters French Conversation,"You have no need to fear, sir. Myself and the six other porters are ensuring that no one approaches who should not be allowed to approach. The train has been delayed but it will be here shortly. We still have plenty of time to load the train which will, of course, still depart on time."

Raziel
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Raziel »

French,Thank you, I'm glad. Are you aware of why the train has been delayed?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It was no problem," answers Elena. "Hopefully, he has learned his lesson. That was amazing work with that lasso."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"Yes, bravo," said the other gentleman, from his spot half a dozen feet away from his large suitcase ... obviously leery of leaving it too far behind. "I suppose I should introduce myself to you. Kliment Kruglov. Now if you'll excuse me I need to stand by my luggage ... and hope that's the last of the excitement granted prior to my boarding the train."

jdd2035
Layman
Layman

Post by jdd2035 »

Johnny smiled and nodded at Kliment "Johnny Rheticus, nice t'meet ya." He then slipped his forearm into the sling of his knapsack and turned to Elena "Thank ya Ma'am. If we ever get the time and room I could show ya how to do it too." He smiled and looked around a little more.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Gare de l'Est, Paris, 19:00
Exactly fifteen minutes prior to the departure time, the Orient Express' sleek and magnificent carriage can be seen entering the station and, with a hiss of steam, slides to a halt beside the platform. There's one car at the very end that appears to belong to someone else. A Private Car, perhaps? It is rather attractive in a classy sort of way with its walnut brown and gold trimmed design with plentiful windows shaded by heavy blinds. There's not much time to consider it before the bustle begins as attendants step out of each Sleeping Car to check passengers off their lists and tell them which compartment they should enter. Each Sleeping Car has its number and name clearly shown so it's easy enough for everyone to find the right Sleeping Car to line up in front of once they're ready. It seems there are three Sleeping Cars in total. Each passenger has their ticket and passports at the ready or should do so, though of course a few still cluster in small groups, waiting for the line to die down in all of the bustle.

The baggage pile that Fernand stands beside is quickly reduced in size as the porters quickly and efficiently take each bag, suitcase, crate and box and get it stowed away inside the Baggage Car. Almost as a concession to his worry, they always leave one porter with a watchful eye on the baggage who prepares the next few pieces for pick up by the others. It shouldn't be too long before the Baggage Car is fully loaded.
Agatha Sleeping Car - First Class - 1 to 9
The first class car has a surprising number of coloured people in attendance. There's a family of two black men, one black woman and a little girl as well as a pair of Egyptian or Arabic looking gentleman - one older than the other. There's only two white passengers there at the moment - an attractive and perky looking Frenchwoman, and the Russian gentleman called Kliment Kruglov who calls over a porter to help him with his massive luggage case - which causes a fair bit of a struggle to get it aboard the train. It really looks like the sort of thing that should go in the Baggage Car but he is insistent.

Yennifer Sleeping Car - Second Class - A to G
A French gendarme leads a forlorn ten-year-old girl to the Second Class Sleeping Car while carrying her two leather luggage cases. A forlorn woman dabs at her eyes as she stands just off to one side, near enough to the car, but not yet preparing to board, dabbing away at tears that keep springing to her eyes. Those who are meant to board the Second Class Sleeping Car can easily hear the compartments that their fellows shall be entering. A married couple hastily arrive with two reasonably young children in tow. Johnny Reticus will be in Compartment B next door to Elena Orloff who is in Compartment C. Vergil Caine finds that he will be sharing his Double Cabin with a man called Fernand Bedell whom he hasn't met yet. They will be in Compartment G and apparently will both be departing in Istanbul.

Jeanette Sleeping Car - Second Class - 1 to 9
While there are people entering this car, there are no PCs in the line and therefore no one who can eavesdrop or notice much about them.
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT,Do not enter anyone else's compartments without either PMing me and doing things on the threads to justify your character's entrance as there may be something that would stop your character. For all you know, there's a shotgun rigged to the other side of the door and opening it will blow your belly open!
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT #2,Due to popular demand I will be adding another Sleeping Car shortly which will add yet another sub-forum.
Harry Simmons,while you haven't yet arrived, when you do you are in Compartment 1 of the First Class Sleeping Car.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Elena Orloff," says Elena to Kliment with a smile, her unusual accent softening the final syllable so that it is almost a "v." "I am likewise pleased to make your acquaintance." She nods to Johnny. "I'd like that, but we are unlikely to have room aboard the train."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Nero
Layman
Layman

Post by Nero »

Vergil coughed and moved slowly across the platform looking at the train. He lagged behind the other two because a large map caught his eye. He missed the entire commotion.

Return to “Platforms”