The Ballad of Bass Rock - Introduction

Splendid, a vacation in Scotland, just the ticket. Let us begin with a short boat trip and take in some of the fresh, sea air.
Call of Cthulhu in 1920s Scotland, first scenario ‘The Ballad of Bass Rock’.

Moderator: Priest

DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Re: The Ballad of Bass Rock - Introduction

Post by DrPeterson »

"All of you, get inside quickly! We're in luck to find some clothes on the wall, so change into something dry before your lungs give out. The ladies can change behind the staircase, we'll all be so civil as to look the other way while they do."

Robert felt elated he had something to do and people to give guidance to, he never felt good sitting around idly.

He put down his suitcase and made for the light switch, nodding his agreement to William.

"I think you're right, but where is the lighthouse keeper? Aidan, do you know if he lives nearby?"

Not waiting for the lad's answer, he flicks on the switch.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by yockenthwaite »

Grateful for Robert's straight talking Claire enters the lighthouse, and looks around her, though she is somewhat unsure about changing clothes in the same room as the men, even with his reassurance, and a staircase to hide behind.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by Cearlan »

Carruthers looks up the 'well' of the lighthouse and notes the curving iron staircase before his eyes light on the clothing.

"It would be guid tae change out a these claes sure enough. I'll wait ootside till the ladies are changed if ye don't mind, If ye could gie me a shoot when ye are done lassies." So saying he steps through the door and shelters in the lee of the building.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
RulerMan
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 10 years 11 months

Post by RulerMan »

Not the bold type of person, Roberto waits until Robert enters in the building. since it seems safe enough after a few moments he follows everyone inside.
He then looks at the broken door and says to William: ''Are you sure about that? i would think whoever built this would make sure to put a door here strong enough to withstand the winds.''He then takes another look around and tries to find a set of clothes of his size. a little embarassed about his weight he searches for a dark space in the room and tries to change clothes. he says to everyone else then: ''Should we go upstairs? as i said before, maybe there is some sort of radio communication around here. with some luck we can contact North Berwick. i'm sure Robert would know how to operate such a thing.''
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"A sound idea," says William, turning his back on the staircase so the ladies can change in privacy, "I'm nae sure the storm broke the door, but I cannae think what else it could hae been.". He picks out a jacket, oilskin, and hat close to his size. "I can wait ootside too if you like," he says. "The oilskin will keep me dry enough."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

Nodding her thanks to Carruthers, Claire looks for some suitable clothing to change into, looking for an oilskin, jacket and hat that will fit her. Then she will try, as discreetly as possible, to change behind the staircase. "No turning round remember, gentlemen," she says, rather nervously while she changes. Once she has changed she will step forward again.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

The collection of clothing hanging on the wall is far from fashionable or in good condition, the best it can be described is serviceable. However, ratty as it is it is in a better state than the water logged tatters you have been left with by the wreck.
All in all there are four jackets and two oilskin overcoats, as well as an odd collection of peaked caps and 'souwesters'

OOC: Luck rolls +10% please.

The presence of a light switch points to the lighthouse being equipped with electricity of some sort and from a position halfway between the floor and the above beams you can see a bulb extended over the stairs from a curved hook. However at the moment it is unworking, possibly switched off. Robert steps smartly over to the switch and flicks it to a downward position - nothing happens. With a muttered curse he flicks it upward to its earlier position - nothing.

Aidan, politely turning his back to the ladies, shrugs, "The lighthouse keeper lives in this lighthouse on the next floor. CHARLIE CARLUKE, ARE YE HERE? CHARLIE ITS AIDAN COOPER THE BOAT'S GONE AND MA DA IS MISSING - CHARLIE, DO YE KEN?"
Again other than the sounds made by yourselves, the wind and the agitated birdlife, there are no noises, no answering cries of welcome, no sounds of running feet...
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

William is in luck.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
RulerMan
Initiate
Initiate

Post by RulerMan »

''Well, it seems this Charlie fella isn't around here lad.''Roberto says to Aidan.
Spoiler:
OOC: Luck (45+10:55%) roll: [dice]0[/dice]
After Robert touches the light switch and nothing happens: I'll try to find the source of the light around here. maybe the main switch is just turned off if we are lucky.''
Spoiler:
Which skill should i roll for that? spot hidden or luck? i'll roll both since i'm not sure.
Spot Hidden (25%):[dice]1[/dice]
Luck (45%): [dice]2[/dice]

OOC:I'm definitely out of luck today. :(
Last edited by RulerMan on Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by Cearlan »

Carruthers is very lucky,Luck roll (1d100=6)
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

OOC Luck+10 roll passes,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4115511/]Rolling Luck (50%) + 10% when looking at the clothes available on ground floor of lighthouse [redoing cos got sums wrong last time!] (1d100=50)[/url]
PatGrillo
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by PatGrillo »

<a href="http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/ ... 1d100=9</a> Luck, within. OOC: What was that for?

Uncomfortable and embarrassed in newly donned "Lighthouse Couture," Cynthia Isham begins making her way up the stairs. She considers that as it is early afternoon and the door is off, there will be enough light to ascend in reasonable safety, despite the lack of electric illumination.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Luck roll,75+10=85% [dice]0[/dice]

Robert turns to the young sailor looks him deep in the eyes.

"Aidan, I know you're a bit shaken, but you're the only one with terrain experience here. I need you to take the ladies and gents who've finished dressing up to the lighthousekeeper's rooms and see them installed there. After that, you should take those binoculars and move on up to the top to look out to sea and search for your father. I'm sure most of us will gladly join you up there to help."

He stares at the switch for a moment.

"It might also help to find the main lines of this place..."

Anyway, I'll be up once I've changed out of these wet clothes.

"With that, he picks up his trunk and moves to secluded spot behind the stairs to change into his uniform."
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

OOC: The following was what the luck roll was for.

Carruthers:
Spoiler:
Inside one of the pockets of your new found attire is a set of keys on a steel ring.

William:
Spoiler:
Inside the inside pocket of the coat you picked up you find a folded sheet of paper. It contains the following handwritten list;
Grease lamp bearing
Call lighthouse Commisioner about foghorn wiring
Arrange for delivery 20 gals parafin oil - Tuesday
Potatoes for dinner
Write Martha and Timmy
Take a bath

Cynthia:
Spoiler:
Within an interior pocket of the overcoat you find a much thumbed copy of Herman Melvilles's'Moby Dick'. A tattered cloth bookmark marks page 560 and a few lines have been underlined in pencil. It reads;
"Suddenly the water's around them slowly swelled in broad circles; then quickly upheaved, as if sideways sliding from a submerged berg of ice, swiftly rising to the surface. A low rumbling sound was heard; a subteraneous hum; and then all held their breaths..."
- Anais Nin
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

Seeing that Cynthia is changed now too Claire goes to the door and calls out to Carruthers. "We ladies are changed now, thank you. Please come back inside."
RulerMan
Initiate
Initiate

Post by RulerMan »

Without any luck on finding the main switch Roberto says: ''I can not find it anywhere around here. maybe is up there? I'm going to go up.''
Then he starts carefully climbing the steel stairway.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Other than the noises outside from the storm and the birds, the building is deathly quiet, with only the sound you are making distubing the quietness. The wrought iron staircase circles the curve wall upwards and downwards both ending in closed wooden trapdoors.
Hiding her discgruntlement at having to wear someone elses rags, Cynthia climbs the stairs upwards swiftly followed by others. She finds her way blocked by the wooden trapdoor which leads, according to Aidan's assurances, into the living quarters of the duty Lighthouse Keeper who, his father had mentioned, was currently Charlie Carluke.
At the entrance hall level Roberto and Robert had, after a quick discussion, come to the conclusion that it was a lack of power in the lighthouse's electical system that was to blame for the apparent lack of power to the light switch. Of course it is common knowledge that such a power system would rely upon a diesel generator.
Before he follows Cynthia upwards, Aidan turns to Robert and says, "Some times Da brought some diesel tae Charlie for the generator. I think it's doon in the cellar." Then with the binoculars held tight in his hands makes his way up the stairs.

OOC: Would those who are going upstairs with Cynthia please indicate who they are, likewise any going down in search of the cellar.
- Anais Nin
RulerMan
Initiate
Initiate

Post by RulerMan »

OOC: As i already wrote at my last post, i'm going upstairs. Roberto hopes to find a radio or something like that so they can communicate with North Berwick. if he is the first on line in stairs he will open the trapdoor. otherwise he will help Cynthia open it.
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

OOC: Claire is going upstairs with Cynthia and any others. She is probably not first in line, but will offer any help she can re opening the trapdoor.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

OOC: Robert is going to go downstairs

Return to “Shadows Over Scotland”