Rules

Splendid, a vacation in Scotland, just the ticket. Let us begin with a short boat trip and take in some of the fresh, sea air.
Call of Cthulhu in 1920s Scotland, first scenario ‘The Ballad of Bass Rock’.

Moderator: Priest

Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Rules

Post by Priest »

Rules
I'll list some general rules and guidelines here in this thread. I tend to be pretty "rules-light" when I play, but certainly we'll be using the rule-book to guide much of the action. I have various versions of the CoC rulebook, mainly I shall use 6th edition, but I don't think there's much difference between most of the later versions. Feel free to correct me if I've made a mistake (which will inevitably happen! ).

Dice Rolls
You may use our new dice roller if you will or invisible castle, the choice is your as to which you feel most comfortable with.

Posting
There will be no tight posting requirements on this game unlike the other one I'm running here. Just as long as people post twice a week that will suffice, if for whatever reason you are going to be unable to post for a period, please let me know on the game OOC so that arrangements can be made. I like the way some of the other Keepers run their games and so I'm adopting a convention I've seen. For the IC threads, try to color-code different kinds of text:

Descriptive text can just be the default black
A character's thoughts should be italicized and in green - color=#008000
Something a character says will be blue - color=#0040FF
And anything OOC in an IC thread should be red - color=#FF4000

That just gives the text a little flavor and makes it easier to follow, I've found. Also, in some games character names are posted in bold so as to differentiate them from the rest of the text - personally I am not too concerned but if you want to go ahead. It is also a good idea if you put your character name (and optionally their picture) at the top of your posts.

So that's pretty much it. I may amend this as we go, but for now it'll do as a starting point. Comments and thoughts are welcome.
(once more I have adapted this from Cearlan since there is little point in re-inventing the wheel)
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Re: Rules

Post by Priest »

In response to questions about dice rolling, I have taken the liberty of copying this from Mr Handy's 'Zombie Apocalypse' board.

"We do all of our dice rolling at Invisible Castle: http://invisiblecastle.com/

This site keeps a permanent record of all rolls and allows them to be searched easily. It's very easy to use, and it's also free and does not even require registration. However, you should definitely register in order to be able to put text in the Note field so I know what you're rolling against. Registration is free as well. Follow these steps to make a roll (once you've logged onto Invisible Castle):

Click on Roll Dice at the top left.
Enter your character's name in the Character Name box. For ease of searching, you should spell your character's name the same way every time. If your browser supports automatic completion, typing in the first part of the name will allow you to quickly fill in the rest. You should also type "[ZA]" (don't type the quotes, though) before your character's name to keep your rolls separate from those of any character in a different game who might have the same name. For instance, to make a roll for Bo Richards, you would type "[ZA]Bo Richards" in the Character Name box (again, without the quotes).
Make sure the proper number of rolls is selected in the Number of Rolls box. Usually this will be 1, and a 1 will be in the box to start with. If you need to make more than one of the same type of roll, you can change this number.
In the Dice box, enter the dice that you're going to roll. Most of the time you'll be rolling percentile dice against one of your skills, a multiple of one of your stats, or your Sanity. To do this, type "1d100" in the box, which will produce a random number from 1 to 100. Sometimes you'll need to make other types of rolls for things like Sanity loss and weapon damage. In this case, you'll type whatever is appropriate into the box (4d6 for shotgun damage at close range, 1d10+1d4+2 for .44 Magnum damage, and so on).
Put a comment in the Note box describing what you're rolling against and what the purpose of the roll is. Make sure you indicate the number you're rolling against to succeed if it's a skill roll, Sanity roll, Resistance roll, or the like. For example, Bo Richards has 61% skill in shotgun. If he's firing his shotgun at a zombie, you would enter something like "Shotgun roll (61% skill) shooting at a zombie" in the Note box after putting 1d100 in the Dice box.
Once all of the above information has been entered, click the Roll the Dice button. This will roll the dice and show you the result, and also give you a link to the roll that you can put in to your post. Just click on the text to the right of where it says "Link" to copy it to the clipboard, then paste it into your post on this board.
Use the following code to display the link in your post:

Code: Select all
Missed it by that much!

The link should go after the "url=" and you can put any text you like between the url tags to describe the results of your action. The link will appear like this:
Missed it by that much!

You can also click on the text to the right of "BBCode" and paste that in. It will put the text from the Note box in between the url tags, but you can replace that with whatever text you want.
To find all rolls for one of your characters, click on Search at the top center: http://invisiblecastle.com/search/"

Obviously ther are some differences and registration can be at the least 'problematic', but the basic principle is the same.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin

Return to “Shadows Over Scotland”