Character Concepts

Splendid, a vacation in Scotland, just the ticket. Let us begin with a short boat trip and take in some of the fresh, sea air.
Call of Cthulhu in 1920s Scotland, first scenario ‘The Ballad of Bass Rock’.

Moderator: Priest

Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Character Concepts

Post by Priest »

What I need now are character concepts. To begin you are all on vacation in Scotland. The year is 1926 and for whatever reason you have all chosen to take a leisure cruise out into the Firth of Forth and the North Sea from North Berwick.

Characters may have any background they choose, within reason, and remembering this is Britain 1926 so British laws please. However academics or professionals are preferred, or gentlemen of independant means.

Characters may choose to know each other or not as they please, this is an opening scenario and should therefore be a team building exercise.

Once the concepts have been approved we shall move to character creation.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Re: Character Concepts

Post by DrPeterson »

I'd like to play an army officer on leave in Scotland for a spot of golf and the odd cruise or two.
He'd be young, having only seen the last years of the war as a lieutenant, and come from a fairly wealthy family with interests in Scottish coal mining.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

DrPeterson wrote:I'd like to play an army officer on leave in Scotland for a spot of golf and the odd cruise or two.
He'd be young, having only seen the last years of the war as a lieutenant, and come from a fairly wealthy family with interests in Scottish coal mining.
Sounds okay to me. Once we have a few more concepts we'll move to creation. :D
- Anais Nin
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by Cearlan »

Thinking along the lines of a geologist now, served as a member of the Royal Engineers during the Great War attaining the rank of Engineer Clerk and Draughtsman Corporal (E.C. & D. Cpl.). This may tie in with him knowing Dr P's character's family if they were into mining. Not as young as Dr P's character, as shown by his being a Engineer Clerk and Draughtsman Corporal as well as his being a geologist pre-war for the mine owners. Humble beginnings and his being a self made man make this a slightly more complex character.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Cearlan wrote:Thinking along the lines of a geologist now, served as a member of the Royal Engineers during the Great War attaining the rank of Engineer Clerk and Draughtsman Corporal (E.C. & D. Cpl.). This may tie in with him knowing Dr P's character's family if they were into mining. Not as young as Dr P's character, as shown by his being a Engineer Clerk and Draughtsman Corporal as well as his being a geologist pre-war for the mine owners. Humble beginnings and his being a self made man make this a slightly more complex character.
Like it.
- Anais Nin
Mr. Pear
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 11 years

Post by Mr. Pear »

Dammit! Was thinking of a geologist as well. :)
So I'll go for a biology professor, conducts his major field study (although I have no idea on what yet) in Scotland. This time he's not there for academic purposes, just to take his family out on a well deserved trip.
RulerMan
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 10 years 11 months

Post by RulerMan »

I'm thinking in playing as a the son of a wealthy South American businessman on trip in Britain to buy some modern machinery for their coffe factory in Brazil.
Having studied in the University of St. Andrews on Fife, he is the man to do the diplomatic and foreign talk for his father.
He has a fair knowledge in agriculture as his business require. he may even have a friend or two in Scotland that he plans to visit in the meantime.
He is not exacly attractive and neither a thin man, far from that, you could call him fat. maybe that's why he's single.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by Cearlan »

Mr Pear, You can have the Geologist ... just a random idea I was feeding off DrPeterson's character - it's not a problem at all.

I might go instead for a missionary doctor who is taking some time off having returned from the jungles of the deepest Belgian Congo. He returned following the death of his father and part of the will was that his father's ashes be cast into the Firth of Forth.

On a side note I have family who are buried in North Berwick Abbey, my great great grandfather John Logan (1813 - 1885) - in the 1881 census he was the Father in law still working as an agricultural labourer. Times were harder back then.
Last edited by Cearlan on Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I had actually been thinking of a military officer too, but I have other character ideas. Perhaps a professional golfer. He could have played golf with the army officer before, and he'd live in St. Andrews, so he might have met the businessman's son.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

All excellant concepts.We await two more from PatGrillo and Rulerman.
- Anais Nin
RulerMan
Initiate
Initiate

Post by RulerMan »

Hi, my concept is already posted above.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

RulerMan wrote:Hi, my concept is already posted above.
Whoops! mea culpa. So its just PatGrillo to come.
- Anais Nin
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Mr. Handy wrote:I had actually been thinking of a military officer too, but I have other character ideas. Perhaps a professional golfer. He could have played golf with the army officer before, and he'd live in St. Andrews, so he might have met the businessman's son.

No reason you can't have been in the army too, is there? The War's only been over for 8 years. We could have used a strapping young golfer as yourself. ;)
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Pear
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 11 years

Post by Mr. Pear »

I’d play a geology professor who’s doing some field research on extinct volcanoes in Scotland, currently engaged in an expedition on the Isle of Skye. Since he’s been away from home for 6 months already, he decided to take a short break and asked his wife and son to come over from England for a little boat trip. He’s too fat to play golf and his sausage-like fingers couldn’t grip the club.
PatGrillo
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by PatGrillo »

OK, sorry I'm new to this forum, have not yet figured out how to set it to notify me by e-mail of replies to posts. (Any ideas?)

Perhaps I could be a socialite, determining to go on a tour and "play the boy" to make up for the loss of her only brother during the war. Despite a traditional exterior - she "came out" in London last year - she is self educated and deeply resentful of having been forbidden by her family to enter University. "What's the point Dear, 'gels can't even be awarded a degree."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

My golfer most likely will be a Great War veteran, just not career military.

If you open the User Control Panel and select the Board preferences tab, you can then click Edit posting defaults on the left. Then you'll need to select the option "Notify me upon replies by default." I never use it, and from what I hear it doesn't always work. I think if you're logged in when a new post is made, you might not receive notification of it and could miss it. I find it best to check the board manually every so often to see when the last post was made, just in case.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Spledid. Okay chaps on to Character Creation.
- Anais Nin
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

I'll try to get my character up this weekend.
Sorry for the wait, but the end of term brings heaps of work and deadlines.
RulerMan
Initiate
Initiate

Post by RulerMan »

Strange...i can't post anything in the Character thread anymore since yesterday... it say's i'm looking for something that doesn't exist. :roll:
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

RulerMan wrote:Strange...i can't post anything in the Character thread anymore since yesterday... it say's i'm looking for something that doesn't exist. :roll:
Seems okay from my end. :?
- Anais Nin

Return to “Shadows Over Scotland”