Page 1 of 1

In game OOC

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:53 pm
by Priest
OOC stuff for the game itself.

Re: In game OOC

Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:02 am
by Cearlan
As I am 'spreading my fathers ashes' in the Firth of Forth, can I assume that the boat's captain is aware of this, is allowing this and will follow a suitable course to allow this solemn event to take place with a bit of dignity and decorum?

Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:19 am
by RulerMan
I have 31% of English in the Other Language skill. is this enough to read, speak and write English good enough for everyone to understand or do i need to shift more points to this skill?

Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:30 am
by Cearlan
Not wanting to step on Priest's toes here but the rules (V5.6 say "A character needs INT x 5 or better in a second language to pass for a native speaker. I guess it's how close to a native speaker you want to be. Your INT of 8 means over 40%. However this is his game and he has the final say on this.

Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:26 am
by Priest
RulerMan wrote:I have 31% of English in the Other Language skill. is this enough to read, speak and write English good enough for everyone to understand or do i need to shift more points to this skill?
In the 6th edition it says;
"If an investigator has several points in a particular Other Language, he or she grasps the gist of normal conversation. A character needs INTx5 or better points in a second language to pass for a native speaker" (pge 72)

As your INT is 8 you would as, Cealan says, need 40% in Other Languages. However this is to speak English as a native, so rather than have one player disadvantaged by language, I am going to ignore this rule in regards to English and suggest that you can read and write in English easily, when you speak it is with a slight Portuguese accent. Probably more acceptable at the time to the Scots than an upper class English accent.

Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:13 pm
by RulerMan
Thanks everyone!
Though i searched for it somehow i missed that text in the rulebook. :roll:

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:11 pm
by Priest
Almost there just a few bits and pieces for character to be finished. Once that's done we'll be ready to go.

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:04 pm
by Priest
Hoping to begin the Bass Rock adventure on either Monday or Tuesday (24th or 25th), so if you haven't finished your character please do so by this weekend.
Thanks, Priest.

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:20 pm
by DrPeterson
Sorry for the delay, guys, just finished my last exam of the season. Will start writing now!

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:05 am
by Mr. Handy
I'll be going on vacation starting Saturday afternoon and not returning until late next Saturday the 29th, so I probably won't be able to start until the 30th. I'll also be away from the afternoon of July 3rd through July 7th.

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:36 am
by DrPeterson
Where are you going?
Always nice to find out where people are hanging out.

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:25 pm
by Priest
Thanks for letting me know Mr Handy. :)
Mr Pear has had to drop out through the intrusion of real life. So I'll be delaying the start untill I've sorted a replacement. But hang in there because this will be a goer, eventually. :)

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:34 pm
by Priest
Replacement sorted. yockenthwaite is going to join us.

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:25 pm
by DrPeterson
Welcome aboard, yockenthwaite!

Seeing that almost all my keepers are on here:
I'm abroad from the 4th of July till the 4th of August.
During the excavation until the 21st, I should have fairly decent internet access, but I can't vouch for the period between the 24th and the 4th of August, but we'll see that when we get there.

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:19 am
by yockenthwaite
Hi folks. Really glad to be on board! I've just posted my character concept in the relevant thread, and will see if that's ok before doing the rolling etc.

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:41 pm
by Mr. Handy
Welcome, Yockenthwaite! I'm glad you were able to join this game after all.

For the next week I'm going to northern California with my parents to visit my sister and brother-in-law. In early July, I'm going to DEXCON, a convention in Morristown, New Jersey. I'll be playing in quite a few Call of Cthulhu games there.

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:46 am
by DrPeterson
Enjoy your trip, Mr Handy!

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:42 pm
by Priest
Okay chaps and chapesses, the adventure will begin tomorrow (Monday 24th). As Mr Handy is away on his travels I will run his character and endeavour to keep him safe until his return.

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:16 pm
by Cearlan
Priest wrote:Okay chaps and chapesses, the adventure will begin tomorrow (Monday 24th). As Mr Handy is away on his travels I will run his character and endeavour to keep him safe until his return.
Ah this smacks of favouritism to me ;-)

He gets to keep safe whilst we go insane and die .... lol

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:20 am
by Priest
Cearlan wrote:
Priest wrote:Okay chaps and chapesses, the adventure will begin tomorrow (Monday 24th). As Mr Handy is away on his travels I will run his character and endeavour to keep him safe until his return.
Ah this smacks of favouritism to me ;-)

He gets to keep safe whilst we go insane and die .... lol
Mwahahaha. Oh the joy of being the Keeper :twisted:

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:08 am
by DrPeterson
At least I won't be crying in his skirts from the first encounter... ;)

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:02 pm
by Priest
Now the adventure has begun, please do not forget to list the items you have with you on the boat. Failure will mean that you will have nothing to aid you later.

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:55 pm
by DrPeterson
If Carruthers and Robert were in the same unit, or have some form of acquaintance, he would know about the scattering of the ashes and would have brought his dress uniform and pistol, along with a copy of HG Wells Island of Doctor Moreau, a spare set of clothes which he would be in now and pair of binoculars.

If he had no knowledge of the ceremony, all of the above except the uniform and pistol.

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:20 pm
by Priest
DrPeterson wrote:If Carruthers and Robert were in the same unit, or have some form of acquaintance, he would know about the scattering of the ashes and would have brought his dress uniform and pistol, along with a copy of HG Wells Island of Doctor Moreau, a spare set of clothes which he would be in now and pair of binoculars.

If he had no knowledge of the ceremony, all of the above except the uniform and pistol.
You may have been in the same unit, I will leave that up to Carruthers/Cearlan.

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:15 pm
by Cearlan
I am sure that Carruthers would consider having Rovert in his unit to be something he could be proud of - however Mustard gas took a lot of the unit out so there would need to be some reason why your APP is not 4. Perhaps they trained together and were moved to different parts of the field of battle and Carruthers got the brunt of it unfortunately ... I'd be happy with whatever you decide Dr P.

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:52 pm
by DrPeterson
Maybe we shared a unit, but then Parkhurst got promoted away to another command deeper against the Franco-Belgian border and away from the mustard gas shelling around the Yser.

He would have written a few letters to his old unit, wishing them strength and including the occasional motivational or touching poem.
(Because that's what all the boys in the trenches wanted...) :D

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:16 pm
by Cearlan
Good enough for me DrP, and if Priest is happy with it we can go with that I think. Carruthers would really look forward to receiving these ... ah 'touching and motivational' poems from his friend, :lol: but would never say anything to upset him.

Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:30 am
by DrPeterson
Our excavation starts this week and since my assistant isn't arriving until the second week, I might be hard-pressed to post on here with anything remotely resembling frequency.

If my delayed responses are slowing down the story, please feel free to NPC my character after their particular..uhm...idiom, sir?...yes, idiom!

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:31 am
by PatGrillo
4 days. No posts?

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:06 am
by Priest
Apologies for the delay, updated. :oops:

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:35 am
by Cearlan
Sorry I been away without notice for a few days. We've had major problems with leaks in our roof which got into the electrics. Hopefully all sorted now though.

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:21 pm
by DrPeterson
I'm back too, and it appears I had a leaky roof as well, bloody Belgium...

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:05 pm
by Priest
Welcome back Dr P. I was going to update but now your back I'll let you speak for Robert Parkhurst. :D

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:13 pm
by DrPeterson
Much obliged, old boy!

I can only applaud your choice of words for old Bob's exclamations!

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:49 am
by yockenthwaite
I'm going to be away at the Edinburgh Book Festival over the next few days, so please NPC me if need be through to Monday night. I'll be posting again from Tuesday onwards.

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:47 pm
by Priest
No Problem 'Y'. Enjoy yourself.
I have family visiting so there will be no updates until Sunday evening. Betwwen now and then enjoy the suspense :twisted:

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:25 pm
by yockenthwaite
Back home so posting again. Had great time. Great evening at Edinburgh book festival last night. Saw Neil Gaiman talk about his Sandman series of comics/graphic novels, and then a multi-author celebration of the late great Scottish writer (sci-fi and mainstream fiction) Iain Banks who died recently. He spent many of his later years in North Queensferry, just under the Forth Railway Bridge. So not too far from the Bass Rock really :)

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:09 pm
by Cearlan
You mean the tentacled beastie may have ... <gulp!> ;-)

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:34 am
by PatGrillo
Away on holiday for a week from tomorrow I'm afraid and will prob have no Internet access. I'll look forward to reading the story when I get back. (IF I get back. You never know what might happen on holiday...)

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:56 pm
by yockenthwaite
Have a lovely holiday. Though watch out for dark tentacled things :D

Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:53 pm
by RulerMan
Hmm that seems something that came out of a Hentai. :twisted:

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:31 am
by yockenthwaite
Afraid I'm going to be travelling again, away from Wednesday through to Sunday. Going to an academic conference, where I'll be giving a talk. Then on way back hoping to see a bit of the tourist things in the area, which includes potentially Nessie :) So please NPC my character if need be through that time.

Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:57 pm
by yockenthwaite
Thanks. Back home and just about recovered. Academic conference went well, including my talk. And we had a lovely trip back, via Culloden (so sad), and down the west side of Loch Ness via Urquhart Castle etc. Now to check the game thread to see what's been happening ;)

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:14 pm
by PatGrillo
I'm back. Apologies for the long delay.

Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:38 pm
by PatGrillo
Have we now thoroughly investigated the saint's cave?

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:45 pm
by Mr. Handy
I'll be away at conventions October 31-November 3 and November 8-10, so I probably won't be able to post then. I'm not sure if I'll even be able to post between them, as I work during the week and will have little time to catch up, though I am off November 11.

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:38 am
by Cearlan
So sorry that we have been away from playing for so long, but we are back now and raring to go on all fronts. Thanks for your patience guys.

Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:22 am
by Priest
Merry Christmas!

Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:05 pm
by Cearlan
Merry Christmas to all. If not of a Christian outlook, then have a great time over the festive period and go easy at New Year - don't want no mishaps now. Either way I hope that Santa is good and that 2014 brings you whatever it is you want most.

I will probably be taking a break from playing over the Christmas period due to family commitments, but may post if I manage to get the time.

Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:25 pm
by yockenthwaite
Merry Christmas everyone! I'm agnostic, but we have it as a happy midwinter seasonal break / time to rest / celebrate family etc.

I should be able to post pretty regularly - basically at home for most of the time :)

Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:45 pm
by PatGrillo
and to you all. :)