OOC Chat Thread

The story of a man divided begins at a lonely crossroad.

Moderator: tormsen

tormsen
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

OOC Chat Thread

Post by tormsen »

As per DrPeterson's suggestion, here is the threat for discussing things outside of the context of the game. We seem to be getting a lot of views, nice to see people enjoying it :mrgreen:
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Re: OOC Chat Thread

Post by DrPeterson »

I had totally missed the start of this campaign and was pleasantly surprised reading the strangeness you guys are creating.

Good job!

I must confess to having experienced some relief to see that I'm not the only one Invisible Castle hates :D
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

The 'strangeness' is due to tormsen, I have no idea of this system and am simply responding to his lead. I have to admit that this scenario is a total confusion to me, and as such I'm enjoying it greatly. :D
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm liking the weirdness too.

I was amazed to see how badly we were rolling, but luckily the system is set up to account for numerous failed rolls (hence why skills are so low compared to Call of Cthulhu).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
tormsen
Keeper
Keeper

Post by tormsen »

One thing to keep in mind about skill checks. When you roll a skill check, you get a strong success when you roll under your skill score, and a weak success if you roll under your stat score, and only get a failure if you roll above your stat. So, say you're rolling for 'General Knowledge' to know something, and that skill is 30% while your mind skill is 60%. Roll under 30, and you know all the information. Roll under 60, and you know some of the information. Roll above 60 and ya got nuthin.

This makes the skills a bit stronger than they may appear at first.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Sounds like a cool system. I was wondering about the relatively low skills of the characters.
Can they roll impales/criticals as well, or is that mechanic absent from the game?
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
tormsen
Keeper
Keeper

Post by tormsen »

Indeed there is. Matched rolls (such as 11 and 77) are either unusually successful or unusually disastrous. This ties in with Cherries, which are specific effects tied usually with martial arts skills or magick. A 00 is a fumble, the worst possible outsome, and 01 is a crit, the best possible outcome.

A very good overview is available on page 7 of the quickstart rules: http://www.atlas-games.com/pdf_storage/ua2_preview.pdf
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Sounds cool, didn't Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay have a similar mechanic?
I vaguely seem to remember something like it from the days I was an innocent youth.
tormsen
Keeper
Keeper

Post by tormsen »

Sorry I've been away for awhile guys: a trip back home to Australia somehow resulted in five broken toe-bones (don't try to scale walls while drunk), but I am back in Korea. I am pretty much out of action physically for a few weeks, but it does mean I will be here a lot more.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'll be away on vacation through the 29th, and again from the afternoon of July 3rd through the 7th, so I probably won't be able to post during those times.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep

Return to “[Unknown Armies] Bill in Three Persons”