Alternative Beginning OOC

War of the Dead is a campaign that takes your character from the first stages of the zombie outbreak and into a world forever changed. The normal rules of society, law, order, and decency are out the window. Gone.
Forget about them. Luxury isn’t a good movie, a new video game, or finally affording that dream home. It’s being able to fall asleep at night, managing to wake up the next morning, and having survived another day without becoming a Living Dead. It’s being able to find food enough to keep you moving throughout the day, or something to burn to keep warm when the nights get cold. Welcome to the war for survival . . . the War of the Dead.

Moderator: Priest

Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Alternative Beginning OOC

Post by Priest »

Right new day, new OOC.
I'm aiming to begin this adventure next week (Probably Monday). So far we have three finished characters (Dr.P, Garrett and Mr H), one in progress (kabukiman) and one potential (Mr. Pear). I would like to have a party of 5 or 6, but will go with just the 4 if necessary.
I realize this is a new system to most of you, so will take it steady to start. However War of the Dead is a dangerous and unforgiving world. Survivors do just that - survive.
I was a bit too soft in the previous adventure, I'll try not to be in this. Turn the wrong corridor, open the wrong door...

THE ZOMBIE GENRE AND WAR OF THE DEAD

It’s important to note that the modern day concept of the zombie in film and literature is owed almost in its entirety to George A. Romero, beginning with his 1968 film “Night of the Living Dead.” In the setting of War of the Dead, Romero never made that film or any of its sequels and, as a result, the concept of the Living Dead never existed in film or print.
Characters in War of the Dead are totally unfamiliar with the Living Dead. The idea of the dead reanimating, the possibility of a bite being one possible method of Infection, or the need to destroy the brain when combating the Living Dead is alien to them when the outbreak first takes place. Such knowledge should come only through experience, and through life-and-death encounters.

HOW FAR WILL YOU GO?

The world as you knew it is over. Society has crumbled, governments have fallen, and even common enjoyments like clean clothes are things of the past. Everywhere you turn, the dead are rising to devour the living. Those who die inevitably rise
again. It’s just a matter of time before you, your friends, and your loved ones join their ranks. But you hold on. You fight to survive just one more day, to maintain your humanity for just a little while longer. But in a world where Hell has finally come
to Earth, how far will you go to survive and protect those important to you? Would you go as far as to become a monster worse than the Living Dead?
War of the Dead focuses on everyday people forced into extreme situations. Although combat is essential to surviving against the Living Dead, the true point of the story is the journey the characters will have to take. As the Living Dead grow in numbers and spread to all corners of the world, it’s no longer a matter of stocking up at the local grocery store and locking your doors. You can’t just head down to the nearest gas station and fill-up your tank. Looting already cleaned out the stores
by that point, and the gas stations have already run out of fuel with no new supplies coming. The people
around you, your neighbors and co-workers, are going to be focused on their own survival. And it’s just a matter of time before you become someone in his or her way. Someone who might have what they want and need, or even someone to be used as bait to keep the Living Dead busy while they get to another (supposedly) safe area.
Even worse, the Living Dead aren’t your only problem. What about those who invade your home or sanctuary for supplies . . . or worse? You can’t just dial 911 and have the police take care of it. Now you have to rely only on yourself for protection, and the survival of your friends and family. Could you take the life of another living person to survive or protect oved ones? Can you become the predator instead of the prey, the hunter instead of the hunted?
War of the Dead is as much a personal journey as it is a battle against the Living Dead. Like any good zombie movie or piece of fiction, it’s about the living more than the dead. It’s about how the characters grow, change, and what they become when facedwith Armageddon. After all, the Living Dead aren’t the most dangerous threat out there.
More often, it’s your fellow man.

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Garrett
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Re: Alternative Beginning OOC

Post by Garrett »

So are we starting with the four or holding out to see if we get more?
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

I see MrPear tonight, I'll poke him about putting up his character.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

I had a pm from Mr Pear he said his character was almost ready and would be put up tonight. I'm going to hold out untill Monday as Papa Gateau said he would have a look. But dont worry we start an Monday with 4,5, or 6 players.
- Anais Nin
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

That's cool, I was just curious.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

I have created starting topics for each character. Here will be the beginning posts for each individual for as long as they remain seperate.
However for 'Nono' (kabukiman) and Cecil Atkins (Mr. Pear) iI have created a combined topic, the reasons will become clear when we begin.
We begin on Monday when I will post your starting stories. Untill then double check your characters and make any changes you feel necessary.
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'll be away at conventions October 31-November 3 and November 8-10, so I probably won't be able to post then. I'm not sure if I'll even be able to post between them, as I work during the week and will have little time to catch up, though I am off November 11.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Thanks Mr H. I too will be absent from Sunday 27th Oct till Friday 1st Nov, however I will have my tablet so if that allows me I'll keep up.
- Anais Nin
Mr. Pear
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 11 years

Post by Mr. Pear »

I'll be in the Caribbean from Wednesday 23th Oct until Sunday 10th Nov. I can't promise to post every day, but I too will have my tablet with me so I'll do what I can. :-)
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

I'll be absent this weekend and the next.
Since I'll be running around in chainmail, I shan't be able to keep up with my posts over the weekend.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

DrPeterson wrote:Since I'll be running around in chainmail
I dont want to ask - I don't want to ask - I dont want... Aw go on then why will you be running around in chainmail? ;)
- Anais Nin
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Because in the unlikely case of someone actually managing to hit me, it'll hurt less ;)

I'm going LARP-ing.
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

Hey do you think I could make a change to my character, I thought that your attribute and your skill stacked together but I was wrong? I was thinking I would lower agility and shooting by one, then increase vigor and fighting by one.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Garrett wrote:Hey do you think I could make a change to my character, I thought that your attribute and your skill stacked together but I was wrong? I was thinking I would lower agility and shooting by one, then increase vigor and fighting by one.
Okay, but do it quick before anything happens.
- Anais Nin
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Priest, would you mind asking carnage_lee to activate the diceroller in this forum?
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

The threads locked, that's why I asked here.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Garrett: Sorry :oops: Done :)
Dr P: Asked. :D
- Anais Nin
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by carnage_lee »

DrPeterson wrote:Priest, would you mind asking carnage_lee to activate the diceroller in this forum?
He did :)

And I have :)

[dice]0[/dice]
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Hooray!
and cheers!
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Priest,

Mr. Pear will be very hard-pressed to get online, so he's asked me to ask you to put his character on hold for a bit.

Return to “War of the Dead”