Chapter One - Day 3 - An Early Morning Meeting

Arkham, Massachusetts; during the late summer of 1921, two good friends and fellow Miskatonic University botany students Richard Cardigan and Henry Atwater strolled west from Arkham to camp along the Miskatonic River to gather samples and specimens of the local flora and fauna. They were expected to return on Saturday but failed to do so following the sudden freak storm during Friday night.

Early Sunday morning, Atwater was found wandering along west River Street, in a disturbed state of mind. Police took him to St. Mary's Hospital, where he was questioned and sedated.

Atwater's nearly incoherent ramblings led police to surmise that the campers had been struck by lightning on Friday evening while they slept.

But of course we know different ... don't we?

Moderator: Cearlan

Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Re: Chapter One - Day 3 - An Early Morning Meeting

Post by Cearlan »

You arrive at 123 Sutton Road without mishap. The area is dotted with occasional houses just off the Aylesbury Pike. As you approach the house you see that it is a small 17th century house in reasonably shabby condition. As you kknock on the door, you hear an aged, cracked voice telling you; "Hold yer horses there young'un I am coming jest as fast as me ault legs can go."

Suddenly the door is opened and there stands before you the gnarled figure of Retribution Phillips who gazes over you all with watering, rheumy eyes.

"An' who may ye be botherin' an old man at this time of day?" You can see a hint of humour and mischief behind his gaze
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Katherine smiles, liking this old man already. "I'm Sister Katherine O'Neill," she says. "I'm sorry to disturb you, Mr. Phillips, but my friends and I have reason to believe that your life may be in danger."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

I think that it might be best to let Sister Katherine deal with old Mr Philips, since the Church has a way of talking to the older generations understandings, Nuns especialy.

As she speaks I let my eyes wander around the surroundings looking for anything odd.

Spot Hidden,65% 1d100 → [4] = (4) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4488367/
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

"It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance Sr O'Neill. I'm sorry but you'll have to speak up." He says cupping his hand to his ear. "I'm not a'hearing too good just lately. Must be what the doc called titenus. You say you think I'm a danger." He chuckles broadly "It's my age girl, sorry but I fergit myself sometimes. At my age, hell, I am a danger even to those around me. It's in my blood you see."
Jimmy,you see an ancient book acting as a doorstop, it looks familiar ...if you approach you can see that it is a copy of [i]"Thaumaturgical Prodigies of the new Cannan."[/i]
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Katherine speaks up so that Retribution Phillips can better hear. "No, I said we think you're in danger," she says.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Retribution shakes his head confused look on his face. "No Sister, The Doc jest said the whooshin' 'n' whistlin' noises would always be there, but titenus, t'ain't dangerous. Least-ways I don't think so. He didn't seem too bothered about it now I think of it. He gave me these ear drops, ... now where did I put them?" He starts fussing around on a small table beside where he sits.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Here, let me help you find them," says Katherine, looking on the table for the ear drops. Perhaps I'd better come at this from a different angle, she thinks. "That is not the source of the danger. Tell me, did you have an ancestor named Elihu Phillips who lived in the eighteenth century?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Retribution looks sharply at you. "Ey that I am Sister. He was my grandpappy. Don't remember too much about him. Why d'ye ask? What's this about?" You can tell he's starting to get himself agitated about something.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Your grandfather was the leader of a group of seven who put an end to the notorious wizard Sermon Bishop," says Katherine. "There's an escaped mental patient on the loose who seems to believe that he is Sermon Bishop, though he is quite a young man. He'd have to be mad to think he was older than you. He is out for revenge against those he thinks wronged him, and while all of the seven are long since dead, he may be going after their descendants."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

"Aye, I knows that story Sister, there was my Grandpappy, an' six of his friends who pout someone down who was s'posed to be a magician of sorts. Now I ain't sayin' he was and I ain't sayin' he wasn't right to do so ... you all know the witch trials and so forth that swept the area about that time. Salem was the start of it all ... and to think this was s'psed to be a land where there is no religious persecution. Makes you think don't it?" Retribution grabs hold of Katherine's hand.

"Jest be careful Sister. There is more than we know about at play here. My great grandpappy was a reverend you know. Obviously afore my time, and I seen a lot in my many years. But he wrote a book called "Thaumaturgical Prodigies in the New Cannan" which went on about demons and all manner of things. It seems he musta got caught up in all the madness back then as well." The old man chuckles to himself. "But of course we live in a more enlightened age nowadays where such things are scoffed at. Maybe some of the old things should still be observed. But you would be better placed than an old man like me to work that one out. I have a copy of the book somewhere around here, but I ain't seen it in some time."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

I chuckle, "Like the book you've got acting as a door stop over there?"

I walk over and bend to pick up the book, "Yep, 'Thaumaturgical Prodigies in the New Cannan'" I flick open the pages to the beginning.
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Mr. Phillips," says Katherine. "I shall be careful. I do know a little of the supernatural, and I know that there is more to this world than meets the eye. I did suspect demonic involvement, but it's more complicated than a case of possession."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

"Hehehe, not meanin' to sound like I's teachin' you to suck eggs Sister," the old man laughs. "How do you know it's more complicated? An' remember that I'm but a simple man so try not to use long-winded explanations."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Katherine chuckles. "It's quite all right, Mr. Phillips," she says, "and a very good question. When I saw the patient, before he escaped, I began to suspect something unusual. I wasn't certain whether or not it was a case of possession, so I called in a priest I know, one Father Marsh, to examine him. He told me afterwards that it was not possession, but that there was something else odd going on with the patient."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

"Aye Sister, well things such as this are beyond my ken ... But what I can say with some degree of certainty is that there was s'posed to be a book o' some kind, something that Bishop thought of as a bible o' some kind, though it was said to be evil book if you can believe such a thing. That was kept by Captain Pierce. I used to keep in touch with their family, but fell out with them a long time since. They lived over Federal Street way, though I can't say if they are still there or not. Not seen nor heard o' them in near ten years." The old man looks at you all, one by one.

"So you really think there is some kind o' danger from this man who lived so long ago? I find that hard to believe myself, but I'll take what care an old man like me can. I have no idea what sort of danger a man even older than me can inflict, but I'll be careful. Thanking you all, if there is nothing else now, I'm tired out after all this excitement - not used to it you know."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You're welcome, and I think the danger is quite real," says Katherine. "He's killed once already. I also think some of us should remain with you at all times, to both protect you and to apprehend him in case he makes an attempt. I won't be much good if it comes to a fight, though my medical skills may be useful afterwards. Those of us who don't stay with you can look up Captain Pierce and try to locate this book. I have a feeling we're going to need it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

I tear myself away from the book.
"I have Henry's gun, so I guess I'll stay and watch out for our mysterios stranger. If that's okay with Mr Philips here?"
I smile and pat my jacket pocket where I had placed the pistol.
"Sides it will give me the chance to read some more of this, um, interesting book"
- Anais Nin
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

"Well now I ain't so sure 'bout lettin' strangers just take over my home now." Retribution says defiantly. "Now while I appreciate the warning an' all, you ain't offered me nothin' to back it up yet. I'd like to be left alone now if'n you don't mind as I'm plum tuckered out!"
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm sorry, I don't mean to be a bother," says Katherine, "but I care about you, and I don't want you to go to meet the Lord before your time. You've yet got some good years in you. The man has already struck before. He ransacked the Historical Society, badly injured someone there, and stole genealogical information about the seven families, including yours. Then he murdered Mrs. Nina Williams Hope in her home and tied up her maid. He carved the number '1' into Mrs. Hope's forehead, which means he isn't done killing. Please, at least let one or two of us stay with you. We won't get in your way. Besides, it must get lonely here all by yourself. I'm sure you could do with someone to talk to."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Retribution shakes his head sadly. "I'm truly sorry to hear about Missy Hope, I really am. But no Sister, thankin' you and all that, but I prefer my own company and anyways, I doubt my snoring would be much company fer either of you. An I feel that it won't be long afore I am asleep." Retribution looks to Jimmy. "You can borrow that book if'n you'd like young man, as long as you looks after it and returns it to me when you're done."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh

Return to “The Condemned”