Chapter One - Day 3 - An Early Morning Meeting

Arkham, Massachusetts; during the late summer of 1921, two good friends and fellow Miskatonic University botany students Richard Cardigan and Henry Atwater strolled west from Arkham to camp along the Miskatonic River to gather samples and specimens of the local flora and fauna. They were expected to return on Saturday but failed to do so following the sudden freak storm during Friday night.

Early Sunday morning, Atwater was found wandering along west River Street, in a disturbed state of mind. Police took him to St. Mary's Hospital, where he was questioned and sedated.

Atwater's nearly incoherent ramblings led police to surmise that the campers had been struck by lightning on Friday evening while they slept.

But of course we know different ... don't we?

Moderator: Cearlan

Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Re: Chapter One - Day 3 - An Early Morning Meeting

Post by Priest »

I push the book into my jacket hip pocket, the opposite one to Henry's gun if it fits, and nod to the old man,
"Sure thing, I'll take good care of it" I pat my pocket reassuringly.

"Do me a favour, after we've gone lock and bolt this door and don't open it unless you know the caller"

I turn to Sister Katherine,
"So how do we do this, do we go try and find this Captain Pierce fella, or do we try and find Henry first? I'm guessing that he would have headed over to his office"
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by Cearlan »

Retribution nods at your promising to take care of his book. "Captain Pierce died pretty soon after he got the book according to local legend."
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"TIme is of the essence," says Katherine. "We may need to split our forces and join up again later. I'll go with the group that looks for the book." She turns back to Retribution. "Thank you for your time and your help, Mr. Phillips. We'll leave you in peace now."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

"Thanking you both fer the warnin'. I really 'ppreciate it." Retribution says as he watches you both walk away from his front door, waving at you when you turn back. He turns and goes into his house, closing the door behind him.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

I watch as the old guy closes the door, I can't help but wonder if we're seeing the last of him. Still he insisted we leave.

Turning to Sister Katherine, I repeat my earlier question,
"Do we go find Henry or go look for this Pierce connection? I don't like the idea of splitting up without Henry knowing what we are doing"
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I didn't want to say anything while Mr. Phillips was here," Katherine says, "but we may have to split up regardless. One or two of us should stay nearby without being seen and keep an eye on the place in case the killer shows up. Whoever stays won't go on his property unless there's an emergency, of course. I'd feel terrible if something happened to him in our absence. Does Henry have a telephone in his office? If so, the best thing to do would be to call him and have him meet us at Pierce's place. I think we're going to need that book sooner rather than later."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

I grin, nod, then assume a more serious, thoughtful expression.
"I suppose I'd best do the staying as I have Henry's gun, though I aint sure I could hit a barn door with it"

I remove my hat and fiddle with the sweat band before replacing it in a determined manner. I pull a battered buisness card from my inside pocket, "Here is Henry's card. If you come across a phone booth on your travels try him. I'll just find a good place where I can keep an eye on Phillips' place and try to keep him out of harm"

I pull the black pistol from my pocket and check the cylinder. "Six shots, I may not be able to hit anything but the noise should scare any one off and bring the cops running. Good luck Sister"

I replace the pistol in my pocket. "Oh, and you'd best take the car. I have a feeling that I won't be needing it."
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, and God be with you," says Katherine, accepting the card. "Are you sure you won't need the car? What if he shows up and you manage to frighten him off and have to chase him? We can't risk him getting away, and you may need it to pursue him."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

"If he takes off across a field, or up some alleyway the car aint gonna help me. Anyway I think the best I can hope for is to scare him off. From the mess he left at the old ladies and the hiding he gave Peacock, I aint to sure i want to catch up with him - alone anyway"

Once more I check the revolver, nervously and set my hat low over my eyes with my overcoat collar turned up the way that I had seen them do it in the movies.
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"All right, if you're sure," says Katherine, "but make sure you can keep an eye on both the front and back of the house. He used the back door last time."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Jimmy,As you watch the house you notice that old Retribution Phillips seems to retire for the night about ten o'clock. [ooc]How long are you keeping watch for?[/ooc]
Katherine,You get into the car and head off downtown. You find a telephone directory with a listing for Henry's agency and ring the number. It rings for some time before Henry finally answers. "Hello? you ask.
Henry,You return to your office or apartment and sit worrying about events in the case. Nothing seems to add up at all - not in the regular sense anyway. Men don't come back from the dead to exact revenge There was poor Miss Hope ... Mr Peabody at the Historical Society and God alone knows who else is next on the list. There were seven men who put the supposed wizard Bishop into the bridge one of which was Miss Hopes ancestor. Another drink of bourbon should help. The phone rings and when you finally answer it is Sr Katherine on the line. "Hello?" she asks.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Mr. Calamy, it's Sister O'Neill," says Katherine. "We've spoken to Mr. Phillips and borrowed an interesting book from him. Mr. Vecchio is staking out the house in case the murderer shows up, and I'm on my way to look for another book that I think we're going to need that belonged to the late Captain Pierce. Can you please meet me at his house?" She gives Henry the address.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Calamy finally picks up.

Sister Katherine, a pleasure to hear you. I'll be right over. Jimmy didn't shoot himself in the foot yet, did he?
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It's good to hear your voice too," says Katherine. "Jimmy was fine when I left him, and I haven't heard any gunshots."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

OOC:   You were not given an exact address from Retribution, just a general area of Captain Pierce's family living over Federal Street.  
You both arrive at Federal Street without incident. The evening is starting to fall and the streetlights start to come on. Tendrils of mist start to rise from the ground but does not seem to get above the knees ... yet.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, how do you want to handle this?" asks Katherine. "We could just knock on a door and ask whoever answers if he or she knows where to find the Pierce house. Although If the family has a telephone, the address should be listed in the directory."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

I find a good place where I can keep an eye on the house. As I watch the lights go out one by one and I glance at my watch.
Jimmy thinking:   Ten, so the old guy hit the sack at ten. I'll keep watching till about one.  
I yawn, stretch tired muscles.
Jimmy thinking:   Damn this is as bad as any stakeout I've ever done for a scoop, and all for one old man and some hocus pocus mumbo jumbo.  
- Anais Nin
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Henry and Katherine meet up at Federal street whilst Jimmy stands guard over Retribution's abode. The evening sky is clear for the first time in a few days, though the ground mist seems to cling around your feet making your feet distinctly wet. You walk down the street getting a 'feel' for the place. After getting about halfway down the street you notice a shadowy figure in hiding as he watches a house across the street very intently.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Perhaps that is the house in question," says Katherine quietly. "Someone else is showing an interest in it. It would be good to get a better look at whoever it is without being noticed ourselves."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

OOC:   Cearlan, Does this watching figure apply to Jimmy?  
- Anais Nin

Return to “The Condemned”