Page 1 of 1

Chapter One - Day 3 - An Early Morning Meeting

Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:17 am
by Cearlan
Day three begins with you all meeting at a local cafeteria, or wherever you so desire, to compare notes and exchange information and experiences from the last two days.
OOC:   The story so far is that two students from the Miskatonic University, Henry Atwater and Richard Cardigan have gone missing during a field trip on the bankks of the river. Henry and Jimmy have been hired by Richard's parents to find out what happened and are occasionally accompanied by his sister, Sharon.

Sr Katherine and Dr Weedon became involved when she treat a strange man dressed in rags at the local hospital who claimed, in archaic speech, that he was Henry Atwater, the missing boy ... despite his being hideously deformed and looking to be in his seventies. He is transferred to Arkham Asylum where Dr Hardstrom, the Asylum's head introduces you to Detective Stukley, who is running the case. They allow you a few moments with the wretch calling himself Henry Atwater, but you get little of import that you can understand from him. A Fr Marsh, an expert on demonic possession says there is no need for an exorcism.

You head off to the campsite and have a few words with Off Peartree who is known to you, who is co-ordinating the search of the area. Observing some friction between Peartree and Off Oxley you determine that Peartree is still drinking on duty. Henry and Jimmy head off towards the ruined bridge leaving Sharon and Sr Katherine to discover a half-buried body. This affects Henry, Jimmy and Sharon pretty badly, especially when another body, the body of Henry Atwater, is found buried underneath the first one. Sharon, his sister positively identifies him.

Once Henry and Jimmy get their wits back together again they return to the ruined bridge and discover some stones that have a design on one side and a relief of a figure on the other - a figure that looks very similar to the wretch back at the asylum. Meanwhile, Sr Katherine goes to support Sharon as she goes to tell her father of Richard's death. This causes a heart attack for the aging man, but sterling work by Sr Katherine saves his life.

The symbol looks ancient and so you head over to the Arkham Historical Society where E.L. Peabody takes charge of the stones and over dinner he tells you to come back tomorrow as the symbol is something he remembers but cannot place where from.

You return to the Asylum to find that the mis-shapen wretch calling himself Atwater has escaped. Examination of his cell shows no way out of the room other than the door and a faint circle of some description on the floor. A search of the ground shows that a section of the all has been destroyed and a trail of blood heads towards town. After mmaking the asylum staff aware you return to town and find a light on at the Historical Society, but you are unable to gain entry or rouse a response from inside.  

Re: Chapter One - Day 3 - An Early Morning Meeting

Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good morning, everyone," says Sister Katherine, feeling refreshed after having gotten some sleep. "I think the first thing we should do this morning is return to the Historical Society now that it's open. We can make sure everything's all right and can find out if Mr. Peabody learned anything from studying those stones."

Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:43 pm
by Priest

Adding another heaped spoonful of sugar to my coffee, I nod at the smiling nun, "Morning Sister"
Jimmy thinking:   Jesus she looks like she actualy got some shut eye last night. Obviously she wasn't bothered by rustling feathery sounds each time she shut off the light.  

Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:30 pm
by DrPeterson

Calamy had spent most of the night fiddling with his violin, staring out his window into the darkness of the heavens. The detective had slept very little, his mind too busy trying to make something of this case, but there was just so much weirdness...
To soothe his mind, he'd picked up Arthur Conan Doyle's collected stories, hoping to find some insight in his favourite fictional sleuth.
Holmes always seemed to be able to distil the problem down to the essential, even when it was packed behind layer upon layer of obfuscation, to reduce the problem to the basest of human urges and motivations...
Calamy thinking:   A motive!  
The few hours he had slept, weren't too peaceful either, the grabbing man, the birds, the stink of sulphur and decay. He was used to sleepless nights though, and he didn't mind, as long as they didn't last too long.

And now he was here at the coffee shop, smoking another cigarette, drinking more coffee, mulling over another case after a sleepless night. Calamy smiled.
Calamy thinking:   The good things never change.  

"I agree that we should go see Peabody first, sister. But something else has been gnawing at my mind. I can't find a motive for this entire scheme. Why and especially who would want to take care of Henry Atwater and Richard Cardigan and why would they do it in this way?

Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:58 pm
by Cearlan
Sharon enters the cafeteria and sits down at the end of the table currently occupied by the investigators. She looks pale and drawn but her voice carries a steely resolve as she orders a strong coffee before she tells the group;

"My father has had a heart attack, when he was told about poor Richard's death. Thanks to the good Sister here, he survived and seems to be past the worst of it now and needs nothing but rest. He sent me from his bedside and so I am back with the party now once again. What has happened since Sr Katherine and myself last spoke? I need to find some answers as to how my brother was slain."

Once she has been brought up to speed she enquires "Henry, I agree that there is nothing that gives us anything resembling so much as a clue regarding a motive for these deaths. What is the suggested course of action for us now? Maybe the next actions may render a meaningful clue to us."

Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:10 am
by DrPeterson
Henry crushes the butt of his cigarette in the ashtray and finishes his coffee.

"I say we go call on Peabody, we'll see where we go after that. Shall we?"

Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"Do the devil and his servants need a motive to do evil?" asks Sister Katherine. "They often seek destruction and death for their own sake. However, there may be something more to it. Perhaps the boys stumbled upon something, like those stones, that whoever or whatever is responsible for this would have preferred remain undiscovered. Hmm...now I'm even more concerned about Mr. Peabody. We should go see him at once." She smiles at Sharon. "I'm glad your father is doing better, Sharon, and that I was there to help him, but all of the glory should go to God. He arranged for me to be there and guided my hands."

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:41 pm
by Priest

I sip my coffee. This is one of those coffees you hope will never end, especially given what the future may hold, if the past few days is anything to go by.

"Peabody's...Yeah that's good"

Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:33 am
by Cearlan
You arrive at the Arkham Historical Society and find it still locked up. A board outside states that the institution is not due to open until Twelve O'clock. You still have a little under two hours before opening time. Now that the sun is up, although it is largely concealed by low scudding clouds similar to yesterday, it is difficult to tell if the light is still burning in Peabody's office or not, but if you were to guess it would probably have been extinguished at some point after your leaving last night and the present.

Persistent knocking from you elicits no response from inside.

Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"I hadn't known they opened so late," says Katherine. "It seems they like to sleep in. Where else shall we go for the next two hours?"

Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:52 pm
by DrPeterson

"Hmm, I hadn't counted on that..."

Henry starts walking back to the car.

"I say we go ask around a bit at Miskatonic University, interview their friends and fellow students. Though I doubt we'll find many who are up at this ungodly hour."

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"All right," says Katherine. "I can't think of a better idea. Although I wouldn't call ten o'clock ungodly. I often wake up at six, if not earlier."

Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:36 am
by DrPeterson
"I wasn't talking about your devotion, sister. I was alluding to the student's lack of piety."

Henry grins as he lights another fag.

Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, no offense taken," says Katherine. "Still, there must be some dedicated students up and about, and that's just the sort we need to talk to."

Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:19 pm
by Priest

I smile, ruefully,
Jimmy thinking:   Ungodly?...Lack of piety?...Yep that about covers the student body at the University  
"If its 'dedicated' students we are after we'd be best trying O'Malleys Diner just down the road from the main campus building"

Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:32 pm
by DrPeterson
"Good thinking, Jimmy. To O'Malley's it is!"

Once everyone's gotten in, Henry takes off.

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"Then let us go," says Katherine, getting into the car.

Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:00 pm
by Cearlan
You pull up outside the diner and despite the place looking fairly full, it has little or no atmosphere as the majority of students are either at the first lecture of the day or just getting up.

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:24 am
by DrPeterson
"We should see if we can shake any trees here."

Henry looks around to see if he can see any solitary student with whom he could share a table.

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:26 am
by Mr. Handy

Katherine enters the diner with the others and looks around for likely students.

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:58 pm
by Cearlan
There are two students sitting on their own, one deeply engrossed in his lecture notes ... what looks like engineering of some sort, is bespectacled, acne ridden and has buck teeth; his clothing is non-descript. The other student is sitting by the window gazing into space his biology notebooks left untouched on the table. He is moderately well dressed with a snazzy dickie bow tie and a pair of half moon reading glasses perched on the end of his nose as he looks out onto the sidewalk. The other tables are all either full or nearly full and it is these tables that provide nearly all of the noise within the establishment.

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"Shall we divide our efforts between them?" asks Katherine. "It would seem odd if we all converged on one anyway. I'll go with the group that talks to the biology student."

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:06 pm
by DrPeterson

All right, you two go talk to mr Science over there, I'll see what the other one is about.

Calamy goes over to the table with bucktoothed kid and puts on his winning smile.

"Hey there, junior, mind if I sit down and ask you some question in exchange for a free breakfast?"

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:50 pm
by Priest

Smiling at Henry's approach, I move over to where the 'daydreamer' is staring out the window, "College work blows yeah? Mind if we ask you a couple of questions?"

I take out my notebook and pencil stubb and lick the end, professionaly.

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"Please excuse my companion's brusque manner," says Katherine to the student. "I am Sister Katherine O'Neill, and this is Mr. Jimmy Vecchio. I work at St. Mary's Hospital. I'm afraid my own knowledge of biology is merely of a practical nature."

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:58 pm
by Cearlan
Katherine & Jimmy,The young man looks closely at you both before nodding and gesturing you both to sit opposite him. As you sit he half rises out of his seat, he speaks with an easy Southern drawl. [color=#0040FF]"Sister O'Neill, Mr Vecchio. I'm not sure how I can help you but ask away; I'll do what I can."[/color]
Henry & Sharon,[color=#0040FF]"A free breakfast is not something I ever remember a student refusing."[/color] Sharon adds "And the questions we want to ask are nothing to be concerned about. [color=#0040FF]"It will be a full breakfast I assume?"[/color] she asks and when the student nods in assent she heads over to the counter to place the order, and gives Henry time to quiz the younger man.

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:24 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Have you heard about the boys who had gotten lost in the woods?" asks Katherine.

Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:33 am
by Cearlan
Katherine and Jimmy,The boy thinks for a moment or two before responding. [color=#0040FF]"Well the talk on campus is that they were killed for their specimens ... can you imagine that? Killing two students for a few samples. Sounds like utter rubbish to me but there you go. Had they been anything other than botanists, I'd have probably suggested a girl may have been involved, but, as you might know, them botanists are more interested in their plants than other people if you know what I mean."[/color] He straightens his bow tie as he looks straight at the pair of you.

Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"They were found yesterday," says Katherine, "but one of them, Henry Atwater was still alive, though he was in a terrible mental state. He was sent to the sanitarium, but he escaped. It looks like he headed into town, but I'm not sure where he would have gone."

Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:06 am
by DrPeterson
Henry watches the student as Sharon leaves the table.

He puts on his cop voice and starts:

I'm Henry Calamy, I was hoping you could point me in the direction of some people who knew Henry Atwater and Richard Cardigan.

Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:09 pm
by Cearlan
Henry & Sharon,The young kid just looks at you as though you spoke Ancient Greek to him. After a few moments he says in a nasal whiny tone - the poor kid ain't got a lot going for him you reflect as he says. [color=#0040FF]"Well I know of them, sure. Everyone on campus knows that they went missing somewhere by the river, but other than that I don't know a great deal about them. They were supposed to be attached to the natural science faculty but I ain't sure what they were studying."[/color]
Katherine & Jimmy,[color=#0040FF]"Henry's alive you say - that's interesting." [/color]he drawls before his gaze is drawn outside once more. [color=#0040FF]"The only place I can think of his going might be back to his dorm."[/color] he adds as he continues to look outside. [color=#0040FF]"He was supposed to help me with my work ... but; well that's by the way now I guess." [/color]

Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:14 pm
by Priest

I glance out the window to see if I can see what he is looking at, "So, may I ask what it is you are working on?"

Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"Where is Henry's dorm?" asks Katherine in a casual tone.

Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:27 am
by DrPeterson

Henry leans back in his seat, hoping the others are more in luck than he is.

"Thanks for the info, kid. Enjoy your breakfast."

He looks at Sharon and says,

"I'm going to have a coffee at the bar."

And he does so.

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:25 am
by Cearlan
Henry & Sharon,[color=#0040FF]"Well Henry, what did you manage to get out of him? Not much by the short length of time you spent with him I guess." [/color]When the waitress passes by she orders two coffees and sits at the bar, politely ignoring the looks she is getting from the teenagers. As the waitress pours their coffees she asks [color=#0040FF]"Did you know the two boys that went missing down by the river?"[/color] The waitress nods towards the young man sitting with Jimmy and Katherine. [color=#0040FF]"One of them used to come in and help Little Lord Fauntleroy over there with his assignments. Always sat at the same table. Not the brightest of kids that get in here, but daddy's rich so he got help from others on his course."[/color]
Katherine & Jimmy,[color=#0040FF]"Working on ... Oh I am studying Botany at the University."[/color] He looks slightly embarrassed. [color=#0040FF]"To be honest, I sometimes find that I am struggling with the workload a bit. Henry used to help me out now and again - as a friend you understand."[/color] He furrowed his brow a moment, seemingly lost in thought [color=#0040FF]"His dorm was located on campus somewhere, I'm not sure exactly where as I live off campus with my folks - probably the main dorm building I'd guess."[/color]

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, young man," says Katherine. She looks to Jimmy to see if he has any further questions.

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:24 pm
by DrPeterson
"Nothing we didn't already know."

He nods his thanks at the waitress and gratefully drinks some coffee as he listens to her answer.

"Good thing our colleagues are doing better. Rich boys usually tend to talk a lot more to nuns than to detectives."

Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:45 pm
by Cearlan
Once you have finished interrogating the two boys and the waitress, you are surprised to find that it is not long before the Historical Society is due to open.

Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's head back to the Historical Society," suggests Katherine. "By the time we get there, they should be ready to open."

Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:35 am
by DrPeterson
"All right, let's go."

Henry lights a cigarette on their way to the car, inhales, coughs, and inhales again.

"What did the kid say?"

Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:24 pm
by Priest

I shrug, "Not much, other than he and Atwater were supposed to work together on some botany stuf and that he would have expected Atwater would return to his dorm. Might be worth checking, but I figure that if he had we would have heard by now"

Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:02 pm
by Mr. Handy

"You may be right," says Katherine, "but it still pays to look later. Even if he's not there, we may still find some clues as to where he's gone."

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:22 am
by DrPeterson
"Yes, I agree too. But first the Historical Society!"

Henry leads the way to his car and drives to the Society.

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:00 pm
by Cearlan
As you leave the centre of town, a light mist descends upon the road ahead, slowly gathering thickness as you move away from Arkham town Centre. By the time you arrive outside the Historical Society and disembark, the mist is quite thick and your clothes quickly become wet with the mist condensing upon your outer layers. Fortunately, you are fairly close to the centre of town so the mist is not too thick to drive safely.

"Where did this mist come from so suddenly?" asks Sharon before she says "Let's get indoors - if it's open that is."

As you approach the door and try the handle, you are surprised to find it open. You enter the hallway and shake the thick of the moisture off your coats and hats. The hallway is deserted.

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hello!" calls Katherine loudly.

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:42 am
by DrPeterson

"This is very queer!"

Henry lights another cigarette and looks around the place, maybe some wet footprints to indicate recent passage?
Spot Hidden--Success,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:20 pm
by Cearlan
Henry notices a set of footprints leaving the Society building - something odd about them strikes a chord with you ... but what is it?
OOC:   An idea roll Henry please  
Silence greets you as Sister Katherine's 'Hello' goes unanswered.
OOC:   Listen rolls at 1/2 from everyone please  

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:43 pm
by Priest

I listen hard for an answer to Sister Catharine's hello, but if there is one I don't hear it.
Listen,55% @ 1/2 - 27% 1d100 → [90] = (90) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4382597/ Failed

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:51 pm
by DrPeterson
Idea -- Success,[dice]0[/dice]
Listen -- Fail,[dice]1[/dice]

Henry curses under his breath as he studies the foot prints.

"I fear we may have come too late already..."

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:02 pm
by Cearlan
Henry,The gait of the steps imprinted in the damp would indicate more of a shambling lope rather than an assured step

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:23 pm
by DrPeterson
"Something...shambled...outside.", he says the words with a feeling of disgust.

Henry tries to follow the prints but stops on the steps of the Society.

"This infernal mist will make it very difficult to follow these tracks. We should hurry to Peabody's chambers immediately!"

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:02 pm
by Priest

"Eh, what do you mean 'something shambled'?" I ask as Henry moves back towards the stairs.

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:42 am
by Mr. Handy

Katherine holds a finger to her lips. "I hear something," she whispers.

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:33 am
by Cearlan
Jimmy looks around and is disturbed to see some large black birds in the trees looking straight at him ... nah - such things are the product of an overactive imagination ,,, aren't they?

Sister Katherine holds her finger to her lips as Henry, Sharon and Jimmy enter the Society through the front doors. A soft sound, somewhat like a moan emanates from upstairs.

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"Upstairs, a moaning sound," says Katherine, hurrying up the stairs. "Someone could be hurt!"

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:39 am
by Priest

Casting a wary eye back to the open doorway and the trees beyond, I swallow a little too noisily, "Upstairs is good, let's go"
Moving quickly, maybe a little too quickly, I follow the good sister on her mercy dash.

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:19 pm
by DrPeterson
Henry turns away from the door and rushes up the stairs, following the others. When he reaches the top of the landing, he pauses for a moment to try and control his wheezing breath before carrying on.

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:30 pm
by Priest

I feel the blood drain from my face as cold sweat trickles down my spine at the sound of someone rushing up behind me making a strange wheezing noise. I turn to find Henry, red faced and trying, with some difficulty, to control his breathing, "Jeez Henry, I should scare someone if I were you"
Realising my choice of word, and that irational fear might not cut it with the sister, I smile innocently in her direction, "Whoops! Sorry about that"

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"I forgive you," says Katherine as she hurries upstairs.

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:22 am
by DrPeterson
"Image"

Henry smiles apologetically at Jimmy, catches his breath and then heads on to Peabody's study.

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:08 pm
by Cearlan
As you reach out to open the door to Peabody's study, you find it locked. Just then you all hear the soft moan and a crash coming from the direction of the library. As you enter you are confronted with the sight of the empty library. Books are strewn everywhere and suddenly a bloodied hand reaches up from behind one of the desks, grabbing onto the side of the desk it proceeds to pull the desk over which is followed by a cry of pain, as the desk, with all the books on top tumble over on top of whoever pulled it over. In horror you recognise the voice as belonging to E. Lapham Peabody.
Cearlan wrote:
The Arkham Historical Society

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:46 pm
by Priest

"Christ! Henry it's Peabody" I push forward in an attempt to get into the library. All thoughts of evil birds are pushed from my mind. Well almost, I just keep hearing Henry's voice muttering about something shambling. I shudder as I run.

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:11 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Quick, get this off of him!" says Sister Katherine, racing to Peabody's side and kneeling down to help him. She is not strong enough to lift the desk, but the others should be, and she has the medical skills.

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:18 am
by DrPeterson
Henry curses loudly and races into the library, trying to free the man with the assistance of Jimmy.

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:26 am
by Cearlan
The desk is surprisingly light and Henry and Jimmy manage to lift it with no problems. Under the desk is the bloodied body of Mr Peabody. He is unconscious but breathing - it looks as though he has been beaten pretty savagely. He sports cuts and bruises to his head, arms and torso. Your initial examination shown no broken bones, but, and this is perhaps more worrying, you cannot rouse him.

A fresh bruise is beginning to form along the side of his head, which corresponds to where he was pinned under the desk.

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:02 am
by Mr. Handy

"Quickly, call for an ambulance and the police!" says Katherine as she treats Peabody's injuries. "There must be a telephone here somewhere."

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:13 am
by DrPeterson
Henry kneels next to the sister and the injured man, relieved to see he's still alive. His breath is still rasping, the quick climb up the stairs appears to have exhausted him more than you'd thin.

"Jimmy, I think there's a phone in reception. "

Henry stands up and looks around, hoping to either see that the stones haven't been taken or that at least some notes remained.
Spot Hidden-Fail,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:32 pm
by Priest

With the desk lifted and Peabody revealed I gasp at all the blood, "Whoever did this sure meant it".
Henry's voice breaks the moment, "Telephone...reception...yeah, on it"
Still feeling a bit shaken and wary of unseen 'shambling' things, as well as black feathered birds, I race back down to the reception and the telephone. A sudden thought hits me,
Jimmy thinking:   Where are the other employees Janice and Lester?  

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:45 pm
by Cearlan
Henry,The stones were on the floor in Peabody's office, not in the library, sorry if that wasn't clear. Looking around the floor by Peabody as Katherine tends to his wounds, you can see that the books scattered around his head and on the desks are, like he discussed yesterday, regarding the families of Arkham's great and good.
Katherine,roll 1d3 for Peabody's recovered hit points. As you are administering your first aid you notice that the books scattered around him are, like he discussed yesterday, referencing the families of the great and good of Arkham.
Jimmy,As you head down the stairs to reach the telephone, you are thinking about Janice and Lester and the state of the poor old man upstairs. As you get off the bottom step you see the familiar face of Janice in the doorway. [color=#0040FF]"What are you doing here Jimmy Vecchio? How'd you get in - has he opened up early again?"[/color] She smiles at you as she removes her coat and hat, giving them a good shake before going to put them in a cupboard under the stairs. [color=#0040FF]"Where is he then, upstairs with your friends I guess. I'll best do him a coffee,"[/color] she says as she heads towards the kitchen which is behind you.

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:36 am
by Mr. Handy

Katherine is only able to improve Peabody's condition slightly, and she is unable to do much to aid his long-term recovery. "I think that's all I can do for him until we get him to a hospital, other than making him comfortable," she says. "These books on the floor nearby might be of interest."

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:34 am
by DrPeterson
Henry picks up one of the books and gives the title a cursory glance.

"Peabody suspect it had something to do with some of the earlier settling families. Looks like he was looking into it when he was attacked."

He walks back to the door and then retraces his steps towards where Peabody was buried under the table, looking for those footprints he found downstairs.
Track or Spot Hidden?,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:24 pm
by Cearlan
Henry,neither - a roll was not needed to see the same footprint pattern you saw downstairs, or at least the blood from Mt Peabody was trod in and the shambling gait heads towards the door. You can see several steps before the blood wears off.As Katherine tends to him, his eyes flutter open and he flutters his eyes, shouts out and raising his arms as though he is warding off blows. Katherine manages to calm him downs and he tells the following tale.
Katherine,Peabody's eyes flutter open for a second and he brings his arms up as if to ward off a blow. You quieten him down and he relates the following tale to you.
Katherine and Henry,Peabodytakes a few moments to bring things back into focus and starts to tell you the following; [color=#FF4000]"I opened up early as I am sometimes wont to do and as I opened up there was a strange young man waiting outside. His stance was ramrod straight, almost too straight as though he carried a injury of some sort and his face betrayed little or no emotion. Also he carried a limp on his left leg. But his speech was the strangest thing about him, all thees and thou's if you get my meaning, the likes of which has not been heard hereabouts for over two hundred years, I reckon. The student's clothing was rumpled and slightly soiled, but I think that was more academic neglect than anything else. He had a voracious interest in the genealogies of a variety of local families, which I was glad to help him with ... it is so rare to find one as interested and surprisingly well versed in the old times of Arkham. As I told you last night I have a keen interest in this so I showed him some of the old maps we have while we talked about the families. He did not give his name now that I come to think of it, but he showed a surprising amount of knowledge about mid-18th century Arkham, and that he even pointed out two or three errors in the records."[/color] His eyes roll back in his head as he starts to lapse back into unconsciousness but Katherine keeps him from doing so.

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:24 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I think you mean [b]Peabody[/b], not [b]Atwater[/b]. ;) Does his description of the student match [b]Henry Atwater[/b]'s?

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:17 pm
by Cearlan
OOC,Corrected my mistake - thank you; The description could fit anyone. He never actually gave a solid description of the character.

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:18 pm
by Priest
Spoiler:
Caught off guard by the sudden apearance of Janice, I splutter, "Ah, yeah...I mean no...Look the old man has been in an accident we need to call an ambulance and the cops"
In an attempt to forestall her panic I add, "Dont worry Sister Katherine is with him. She's a nurse, so he's in good hands"

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:07 pm
by DrPeterson

Henry frowns as he listen to Peabody's tale. This was all too weird.

"Mr. Atwater, the stones, did you find anything out about the script on the stones?"

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:26 am
by Cearlan
Jimmy,"Oh No, Janice cries out. I got to see to him." She barges past Jimmy and runs up the stairs. Finding the telephone on the table Jimmy calls the operator and raises the alarm. Whilst he is on the phone Lester enters the building and is surprised to see Jimmy holding the phone, Jimmy gestures for him to hang on whilst he finishes the call. Lester looks less than pleased to see Jimmy, especially considering the tail end of the conversation he has just overheard.

Henry and Katherine,Peabody drifts back to consciousness. "Well, suddenly the boy strikes me from behind and ... well you see the results for yourselves. The stones? Ah yes the stones ... sorry my boy. I have been up all night working on them you know."

Peabody looks groggy but attempts to pull his focus back into the preset. "The stones now let me see ... can you help me up to that chair please and bring over the maps - the ones dated 1742 and 1803 if you would be so good." Once he is seated, he fingers a pocket in his waistcoat and hands it to Henry. "Best go see if they are still all in my office, but due to the fact that the key is still in my pocket I presume they are all there."

"Sister, could you pass that slim black book over as well."[/color]

Henry checks the office and finds the stones all as they were left last night as far as he can recall. He returns to the Library to find Janice has just entered the room crying out "Mr Peabody ... what has happened to you?"

Peabody gestures her over. "These good people are raising the alarm Janice and I'd like you to get Lester to help them with their work and if you could come over to the Hospital which is where I assume I will be going." Once seated in front of the desk Peabody points out the bridge where you found the stones. "Here is where the stones were found right? It was known in the 18th century as the 'witch bridge.' Listen people, we don't have much time before they come to take me away. Well what I have found out is this." Taking the slim volume off Sr Katherine he opens the book at a pre-marked page. "This is Strange legends of New England by Wheeler Jenckes.

One story, "Miskatonic's Witch Bridge", draws the eye. The entry positively identifies the bridge as the one called Bishops' Bridge and is accompanied by a pair of photographs, one of which offers a full view of the bridge before it collapsed. The article claims that in 1752 a local wizard was entombed in the central pillar of the bridge. The stone facing was then decorated with a magical sign supposedly keeping the wizard from returning from the dead. Before he died, the wizard placed a curse upon his persecutors and their descendants.

The second photo shows the centre bridge support from the south side. The magical sign decorating the stone can just be seen. The photograph is taken from the riverbank, of course, and the reader requires the aid of a magnifying glass to make a good copy of the magic symbol.

"If you could pass that brown book over please." Henry passes the heavier book over and notices it is called @A History of Arkham Township. This makes it interesting and casts some light n the way people thought back in the day.

...Another such individual was the hunchback Sermon Bishop who, like earlier relatives, was accused of witchcraft. This man lived on the western outskirts of town, on Hill Street (then called Bad Water Road), and was thought a powerful wizard. Rumors of his activities gave rise to grave suspicions, and crop failures and dry cows were often blamed on him. Bishop disappeared one night while returning home from a visit to Dunwich and was never seen again. Rumors flew that the Devil had finally come and taken him away. The sheriff conducted what all agreed was a thorough investigation but no suspects were ever brought to trial. Though he likely was the victim of foul play, Bishop's body was never found.

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Mr. Peabody," says Katherine. "I wonder...the stone is intact in this picture, but it has since been blown to pieces. Could lightning have struck it, perhaps?"

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:08 am
by DrPeterson

Henry frowns as he observes the writing on the photograph through a magnifying glass.

"The families that persecuted that witch, one of them wouldn't happened to be the Atwaters, would it? And would that be what the boy was asking about?"

He puts a hand on Peabody's shoulder.

"We'll find who did this to you, Mr. Peabody, and we'll bring them to justice."

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:25 pm
by Priest

"Yeah, as quick as you can" I finsh talking to the hospital and replace the receiver before i turn to answer the suspicious looks from Lester.
"Somebody broke in and gave the old man a pasting. The others are upstairs with him now and the ambulance is on its way"
Without waiting for a reply I quickly make my way back upstairs to the others.

I raise an eyebrow in Henry's direction, "So do we know what happened?"

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:31 pm
by Cearlan
Jimmy,Lester his face reddening follows you as you ascend the stairs at a fair clip. He enters the Library and sees Sr Katherine, Janice and Henry around the seated body of Mr Peabody who is going over some books and maps with the nun and private eye.
Jimmy and Lester burst into the room with Lester exclaiming "My God Peabody ... What in His name happened here ... Are you alright Sir?"

Peabody waves him away "I'll be fine but may have to go and get my injuries checked over at the hospital. I want you to help these people in any way you can ... including ..." He gave Lester a knowing look. Lester blanches slightly, swallows hard and nods his head."As you wish Mr Peabody."

"I'm glad you are here now Lester ... Janice can now come with me to the hospital." Peabody briefly recaps what he has just told you to Lester so that he knows what you are looking for.

Lester clarifies, his face sullen and bitter looking, though his disposition is one of quiet efficiency, now that he has been given a job that falls within his area of expertise. "So what have you got so far then ... Jenckes' Strange Legends of New England and A History of Arkham Township. I think we can take it from here Sir." Lester looks at the maps and tuts to himself as he notices the blood that inadvertently was deposited by Peabody when he pointed out the bridge site.

Henry steps aside and fills Jimmy in on what they have just been told by Peabody. note Henry still has the key to Peabody's office.

The police and ambulance both arrive together. The police have several questions regarding the how and why the group just happened upon the Historical society, But with Mr Peabody, Janice and Lester all vouching for you, they accept that you had no part in this attack other than discovering and helping the victim.The ambulance treat what they could, then take Mr Peabody and Janice away to St Mary's Hospital.

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:56 pm
by DrPeterson
"So, Lester..."

Henry takes out a cigarette and sucks on it without lighting it.

"Maybe you should tell us about the...", he imitates Peabody's 'knowing look', "the thing Mr. Peabody alluded to."

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:17 pm
by Cearlan
Lester looks down at his shoes for a moment before answering. "Mr Peabody has some books he keeps aside for 'special' studies. He has instructed me to assist you in any way I can. Where shall we start do you think - I have a few ideas. The name Sermon Bishop give me a few ideas. Look it says his house was on Badwater Lane, which as we seen is now Hill Street which is here on the map. He indicates the Bishop farmstead on the 1742 map."

Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"You think he was looking for the descendants of the wizard's persecutors, then?" says Katherine to Henry. "The way he talked, with that eighteenth century style...could he think he is that wizard, out for revenge?"

Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:16 pm
by Priest

I pull my notebook and pencil from my pocket, unconciously lick the end of the pencil, and begin to write Bishop...Hill St...1742. I stop writing the date seeming as if lit by neon,
Jimmy thinking:   '1742' What the hell is this? Who the hell is gonna believe this stuff? Not the readers of the paper that's for sure  
I shrug and continue to take notes like any good reporter.

Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:48 pm
by DrPeterson

Henry's frown deepens even more.

"Well, if these boys were into that sort of thing, I suppose the shock of a lightning bolt striking that close could have led to seeing all kinds of things."

Somehow it doesn't feel right as he says it, and Henry feels it too.

"I guess we'd better have a look at the place, but first I'd like to have a look at our stones and Mr. Peabody's work on them."

Henry pulls the key from his pocket and carefully observes Lester before heading to the old man's office.

Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:25 pm
by Cearlan
Lester draws up a notice proclaiming that the Historical Society would be closed today due to illness. He heads downstairs to close the door and put the notice up before he returns and heads towards the library stacks and starts to remove books, seemingly at random, placing them on a trolley and bringing them back to the table.

"Right Sister, gentlemen." he says levelly. "All throughout New England there are many, many tales that defy what we would term 'common sense' today. Things from the famous witch trials at Salem to headless horsemen to the countless legends that the locals all down the North Eastern seaboard, and probably beyond, still cling to despite modern 'logic.' As fantastic as this may sound let us assume for a few hours at least that this story, however fantastic it may sound, is in fact true. Let us look through these books for more connections to this Sermon Bishop, shall we? After all if there is any chance we can find who did this," he spreads his arms around, "and beat up Mr Peabody and get him brought to book for it all."
OOC:   Library rolls everyone  

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Sister Katherine to Lester. She dives into the books, feeling at home among old texts, and quickly finds something relevant. "If we can discover who the living descendants of the people who went after Sermon Bishop are and where they live, we may be able to get one step ahead of him."

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:34 am
by Priest

"This might be relevant" I hold up a book.

At Sister Katherine's words I look towards her, "So are we thinking that Atwater has been hit by lightning and now thinks he's some ancient wizard out for revenge? Or are you beginning to buy into all this hocus-pocus stuff?"
Library Use,65% 1d100 → [12] = (12) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4395978/

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:05 am
by DrPeterson
Henry was rather sceptical about this, but he wasn't against "ruling out the impossible" and sniggered as he thought of Holmes. He started leafing through the books.
Library Use (25%),[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:47 pm
by Cearlan
OOC:   Excellent rolls people  
Jimmy, more at home with press clippings spots one book of clippings and starts to read through it He exclaims that he has found something and reads out the following;

Bishop's Bridge Burns

The covered bridge that once crossed the Miskatonic four miles upriver is no more. In the last week's thunderstorms, the aging structure was struck by lightning which burned the roof and most of the decking and timbers

Thought to have been built around 1750, only the central stone support and the approaches now exist. The Sheriff has closed the road.

Originally Bowen's Bridge, after the prosperous farmer who built it, folks later began calling it Bishop's Bridge.

Locals say that the bridge has attracted lightning strikes. The structure had lately grown so decrepit that the County closed it to horses and wagons.

There is visible from the south side of the river a symbol decorating the stone of the still-standing central support, of unknown meaning and origin.

Little needed these days, the bridge probably will not be rebuilt.

Sister Katherine is next to notice that a book she is studying - one of the 'special' books that Lester seems to have 'guided more towards her than the two men and Sharon. Sharon's Library use (25% skill) (1d100=52) Fail

A slim volume called Thaumaturgical Prodigies in the New England Canaan, yields the following;

Another man thought leagued with the devil was one Sermon Bishop, of Bad Water Road in Arkham, along with his fellow-wizard, Richard Russel. This Russel lived in Arkham as well, at the western end of what we know now as Main Street. The two were said to worship a demon which lived beneath the ground, and that they had pacted with the devil and could not die.

Among those alive today some remember Sermon Bishop, who was among Arkham's first settlers, and they swear that he never aged in all the long years he resided here. His wicked pact, they say, only left Bishop stooped and bent in consequence. Witnesses also tell of both men's evil doings in burial plots, attempting blasphemical resurrections.

Arkham citizens rose against him, and some say kidnapped and killed him, burying the body in the forest or sacking and weighting it down into the Miskatonic, in A.D. 1752. Russel fled, and was not heard from again

Almost as soon as Sister Katherine exclaims her discovery, Henry reads out the following from a different book of clippings held by the society to the one Jimmy is reading;

EMINENT ARKHAMITES

A Continuing Series by E. Lapham Peabody

Sermon Bishop, Wizard

In the mid-18th century, Sermon Bishop was rumored a witch and thought to be responsible for misfortunes suffered by farmers west of Arkham. Other, darker words were whispered of him, but never aloud.

Elihu Phillips, a neighbor, frequently argued with Bishop. When Phillips' daughter was born with a twisted leg, the farmers were sure Bishop was responsible. One night, as Bishop returned from a visit to Dunwich, Phillips and six other men captured him and bound him, and hung with a magical sigil round his head.

Bishop, they said, had used a terrible book to treat with a great demon, dealings that left the wizard's body bent and crippled. In compensation, Bishop could not die.

Rendered helpless by the sigil, the seven carried Bishop north to the Miskatonic, and there cemented him into the hollow of a stone bridge support while the bridge was under construction. They marked the stone support with the same sign which bound Bishop, hoping thereby to imprison the wizard forever.

Although the wizard's seven enemies were among those the sheriff questioned, no one was ever charged.

The wooden roof and walls of the bridge fell into disrepair in the later 19th century. In 1901 a powerful lightning bolt struck and burned both spans, and the bridge was never rebuilt. Only the foundations and the central support remain, a few miles west of town. The sign, as folks indicate, is chiselled into the stone of the central support, and can be seen today, keeping us all safe from this wizard!

My particular thanks to Mrs. Nina Williams Hope of Arkham, who supplied information important to my tale.

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:29 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I honestly don't know," Katherine tells Jimmy. "The important thing is that he appears to believe it. After we're done here, we should talk with Mrs. Nina Williams Hope. She no doubt knows more about this story. We may also be able to use the geneological information we find here to identify the living descendants of the seven who entombed Sermon Bishop in the bridge. We already know that Elihu Phillips was one of them.

"I think from what we've found, we can start piecing things together. It appears that Sermon Bishop made a pact with a demon to gain immortality, but of course the demon tricked him and left his body twisted and decrepit. If he truly was undying, then he would have spent centuries buried in that support pillar, trapped by that symbol until lightning struck it and set him free, at which point he encountered the boys."

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:08 am
by Cearlan
Lester coughs to attract peoples attention I'm not 100% sure but I believe Mrs Hope lives alone on West Curwen Street, somewhere beside Brown. I have her records here as she used to be here fairly regularly before her age caught up with her. She must be about eighty by now, if not older.
OOC:   Note that it it is now about three o'clock in the afternoon.  

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:46 am
by DrPeterson
Henry snaps out of his reverie and agrees.

"Yes, maybe we should go there first then. I can't imagine even the most crass octogenarian fighting off assault for very long."

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:00 pm
by Cearlan
LEster returns with the information that Mrs Nina W. Hope did in fact live at 374 West Curwen Street. That area is a collection of fine old houses, normally set back from the road, and hers, going from the address is beside South West street somewhere. It's not too far from here, about four blocks west and a couple south.

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:57 pm
by Priest

I make a note of the address, then struck by a thought, "I wonder what the chances are that whoever attacked Peabody also found her address and has come to the same conclusions as us?"
I close the notebook and replace it in my coat pocket, "So 374 West Curzon Street and hope we get there before our mysterious adversary"

Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:47 pm
by DrPeterson

"I hear you, Jimmy, let's move people."

Henry puts down the book and heads towards his car and the old lady's house.

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:41 pm
by Cearlan
You all arrive at 374 West Curzon Street. The description given by Lester was accurate. You arrive to find the gates wide open. You park your car either on the street or on the gravel drive.
OOC:   Which one?  
The house is indeed an old style colonial house, and although it is in need of a few repairs here and there, it has generally been well maintained from your view of the outside. By now you are getting used to the shadows, by the side of houses, in trees, under the eaves, round corners, all places where people and ... birds ... may hide and watch your progress.

As you alight the car the first thing that hits your senses is the deafening silence in the area, You can hear distant traffic, but close by there in no sound to be heard at all.
OOC:   Listen rolls at half please - you can make these rolls manually if you want - I can trust you  
The grand gateposts are etched, the right with '374,' the left with the simple name 'Hope.' From the street you can see nothing amiss. You head on up the drive, your feet crunching on the gravel path. As you near the front door you see, with a sinking feeling in the pit of your stomachs, that it is slightly ajar.
OOC:   DeeJ's father's cremation is taking place on Friday so I will probably not be posting until Saturday, though more likely Sunday once we get things back to some semblance of normality - Thank you all again for your forbearance and kind thoughts and well-wishes - Till the weekend then my cyber-friends Ia! Ia! Ia Cthulhu Fhtagn!  

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:16 pm
by DrPeterson
OOC:   I thought Mr Handy was gone till the 24th, maybe we should forestall all action until then, so you and DeeJ can have a bit of a breather?  

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:09 am
by Mr. Handy

Katherine gets out of the car, her sharp hearing barely picking something up.

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:55 pm
by Priest

As I climb from Henry's car, I see from Sister Katherine's expression that she has heard something. I listen to see if I hear what it was...
Listen,55% halved 27% 1d100 → [25] = (25) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4413198/

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:09 pm
by Cearlan
As you disembark the from car, Sr Katherine and Jimmy both freeze as a faint sound reaches your ears. It is the sound of a door repeatedly banging at the rear of the house. As you all reach the house it becomes more apparent. There are also faint sounds of moaning coming from within the house.

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"Quick, we must get inside!" hisses Sister Katherine. "Someone's moaning, probably in pain. I hear the back door banging over an over." She tries the front door to see if it opens.

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:29 pm
by Priest

"You try the front door I'll head around back. Sister, let Henry go first if the library visitor is here..."
I leave that sentence unfinished as I try to find my way to the rear of the house.
Its at times like this I wish I knew how to use a gun. I know they say the pen is mightier than the sword but I don't think that includes a much chewed pencil stub.

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:59 am
by DrPeterson
Henry nods and quickly moves to the front of the house, his pistol already in his hand. He takes a deep breath and then pushes open the door and heads in, his gun at the ready.

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:31 am
by Cearlan
Henry & Katherine,You both enter the house with Henry in the lead. You enter a long, wood paneled hallway with a herring bone patterned parquet floor. From the left of the front door you can see a double door leading somewhere with a red smear on the handle. A grand staircase lies along the left wall and once you get inside the hallway properly, (as opposed to peering through the open door), you can see a door under the stairs, two doors on the far wall and two on the right wall of the hallway. There are signs of an obvious struggle, an occasional table lies knocked over with a bronze statuette lying on the floor. Also a few paintings lie on the floor where they had been knocked off the walls. The moaning appears to be coming from a door under the staircase.
Jimmy & Sharon,You head round the side of the house which lies in shadow. As you progress you can hear several crows, or maybe ravens cawing back and forth to each other in the trees above you. [color=#0040FF]"Oh my Jimmy, them birds sound awfully close to me."[/color] Sharon lays her hand upon your back causing you to stiffen slightly. You breathe slowly to help relax. When you reach the corner, unsettled by the raucous birds, you gingerly poke your head round and see a raised verandah with a screen door flying open and closed in the wind. You ascend the steps of the verandah when you notice some partial footprints leading away from the back door. You recognise them as being similar to those at the Historical Society.

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:22 am
by Mr. Handy

Katherine runs to the door under the staircase and tries to open it, knowing that there isn't a moment to lose and trusting in God and Henry to protect her in case whoever is responsible is still here.

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:05 am
by Cearlan
Henry and Katherine,As you open the door you see a pile of coats on the floor with a pair of women's legs sticking out away from the door. Clearing the coats away you discover a middle aged coloured woman bound hand and feet. When you free her she is obviously in an agitated state. [color=#FF4000]"Ah missy Hope - Police must be Missy Hope - What Shock for Georgia."[/color] You take her through to the kitchen and sit her down whilst Henry gets her a glass of water. Once she has calmed down enough to get any sense out of her, which takes a while, you manage to get from her the following [color=#FF4000]"I was down at Walgreen's Pharmacy store getting my mistresses items and when I came back I ... I ..."[/color] She starts to become agitated again but with your compassion and care she manages to regain her composure.

Sharon and Jimmy enter from the back door see Sr Katherine talking to a coloured woman dressed as a servant who is obviously in an agitated state. As you both enter the coloured woman starts in fright. Katherine manages to calm her down while Sharon goes to help the nun. Closing her eyes she draws a deep breath and says "Whoo boy! I came back and found her slain in her bed where she lay." Tears flowed down her face in a cascade that seemed bottomless."I screamed and turned around, dropping her medicines all over the floor as I saw the maniac who had killed her. He was white and young, though his eyes were dead if you know what I mean. He stood tall and had a cruel sneer on his face. He had a strange way of walking and ..." Looking at Sharon up close for the first time, the servant holds her hand to her mouth, "Oh my gosh, but you look a little like him missy I'm sorry to say.

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:08 am
by Mr. Handy

Katherine crosses herself. "I'm so sorry, Georgia," she says, squeezing her hand. "Thank the Lord you have survived. Do you recall what time it was when you found her?"

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:01 am
by Priest

Still unsettled by the birds, I come to a halt before the group in the kitchen, "There's a trail leading away from the back door. Footprints like before"
At the coloured womans remark about the assailants likeness to Sharon, I stop talking and look at Henry...

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:45 pm
by DrPeterson

Henry returns Jimmy's glance and nods, holstering his revolver.

"If the trail is fresh enough, we might still be able to catch up with him. Ladies, at least one of you should look after Georgia here. Jimmy, let's go, stay behind me and keep your eyes peeled."

Henry sets off towards the back door.

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:13 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I'll stay with her," says Katherine, reasoning that it's better not to have Sharon remain given her resemblance to Georgia's assailant.
OOC,I'm confused. Is [b]Sharon[/b] [b]Henry Atwater[/b]'s sister, or [b]Richard Cardigan[/b]'s?

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:09 pm
by Cearlan
OOC:   From the very first post in Arkham Asylum (now in the archive)

"Henry Calamy, Sharon Williams and Jimmy Veccio

Wealthy banker Herbert Cardigan had sent his son to Miskatonic University to study Botany of all things ... well at least his elder brother would follow in the family business. Last Thursday morning, his son, Richard and his friend Henry Atwater set out from Arkham to camp on the bank of the Miskatonic River in Bowen Woods. They were expected to return on Saturday but never arrived. Early Sunday morning, Atwater was found wandering along west River Street, in a disturbed state of mind. Police took him to St. Mary's Hospital where he was examined by Doctors and Herbert want's answers as to what happened and where his son got to.

To this end he has assembled a crack private investigator, one who specialises in missing persons; a local reporter, who better to know the area and where the leads are and his daughter who refused to be left out of the investigation. You are informed that the Atwater boy is now being held in Arkham Asylum after being transferred from St. Mary's."

So in short, Sharon is Richard Cardigan's sister. What with the suspected person committing these acts resembling Atwater and the poor wretch claiming to be Atwater it is slightly confusing. My bad if I haven't explained it properly. Cardigan was found buried, in the sand by the Miskatonic with his head bashed in and a somehow still living being, the poor wretch claiming to be Atwater under him. This is where the ornithophobia (fear of birds) stems from ... in this game anyway.  
Katherine and Sharon,Georgia looks at you with deep brown eyes and says "Missy, I know 'tain't my place but shouldn't we be a-callin' the pollis. I know you and your friends mean well an' all, but the fact is my mistress is a-lyin upstairs all dead an' all. Sharon asks "Georgia, do you have a telephone at all in the house?" Georgia tells her with a look of fear in her eye "It's in the front parlour missy." Sharon slowly rises and goes to make the call.

Sharon leaves Katherine and Georgia in the kitchen and goes into the front parlour and places the call to the police before you return to the kitchen. As you enter the room you notice Georgia's grip on Katherine's arm tightens significantly. Sharon nods and says I had better go and make sure the boys don't get into trouble. You know how men ... her words trail off as you realise the impact of what you were saying may have on Georgia.

Henry and Jimmy,A few bloody half footprints lead from the hallway, through the kitchen and down the steps.
OOC:   Either Track or Spot Hidden at 1/5 please  
Sharon joins you both looking down at the bloodied half prints down the steps "This is disconcerting gentlemen. I felt that my presence in there might agitate the servant so I have left Sr Katherine with her. I have called the police so they should be here presently. Where do these tracks lead?" She hunkers down and looks for where the trail leads, but without success.

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"The police are on their way, Georgia," Katherine assures her."Do you remember what time it was when you came home?"
OOC,That's what I thought. What had me confused was that it sounds like [b]Georgia[/b] thinks there's a physical resemblance between [b]Sharon[/b] and [b]Henry Atwater[/b], who is not her brother.

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:20 pm
by DrPeterson
Henry starts following the tracks, a cigarette dangling from his lips.

Tracking,[dice]0[/dice]

He swears and scratches the back of his head as he's lost the trace.

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:55 am
by Priest

Seeing Henry's reaction, I peer in the general direction that the footsteps seem to have been heading.
Spot Hidden,65% 1d100 → [51] = (51) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4418164/ Fail
"Nah can't see anything Henry. He may have gone that way, but your guess is as good as mine"

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:54 pm
by Cearlan
Henry Sharon and Jimmy,The trail has gone cold now and the murderer seems to have eluded you for the time being. Sharon says [color=#FF4000]"The police will be here all too soon, shouldn't we have a look to see if there is anything that may be helpful to our particular inquiries."[/color]
Katherine,Georgia, trying to talk through her tears, which are starting to subside, adds. [color=#FF4000]"Thank you sister for your calming presence has surely helped me. That other woman looks jus' like the man Sister Missy, especially 'cross her eyes and nose. I feel uncomfortable in her presence, but I sense that she is a decent person." [/color]Georgia shudders before saying [color=#FF4000]"I wonder why he disfigured my mistress ... after all she was a little old lady - a bit eccentric I guess but we all have our ways as my momma used to be fond of saying."[/color]

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"You're welcome, Georgia," says Katherine, "I haven't known Sharon long, but she is a nice person. Maybe she's related to the man who did this. It's possible that he's an escaped mental patient." She describes Henry Atwater. "Was that the man you saw?"

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:28 pm
by DrPeterson
Outside,[color=#0000BF]You're right, let's have a quick look around the house before the cops get here.[/color]

Henry heads into the house, looking none too happy.

"I'd like to have a quick look at where the murder took place. Is it upstairs?"

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:19 pm
by Priest

Dissapointed at the lack of an obvious trail outside, I follow Henry back into the kitchen, "Hang on Henry, lets have a look and see if the footprints lead anywhere within the building"
I take a look and see if the footsteps can be backtracked inside. "We know he went out the back door, but where else had he been inside?"
Spot Hidden,1d100 → [64] = (64) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4422235/ normal spot hidden chance please adjust if necessary.

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:41 pm
by Cearlan
Henry Jimmy and Sharon,As you ascend the steps to the verandah you pick up the trail with no problem. As you pass through the kitchen Georgia rises and follows you. "I tried to fight and clutched at the door handle in a attempt to get away but he were too strong fer me."
OOC:   I'll assume Katherine follows - if not let me know?  
The trail leads the group to the door of the cupboard under the stairs where Georgia was imprisoned, from there it leads to the double doors with the bloody smear on the door handle before it snakes back and goes up the stairs. Following the trail it leads to a room at the front of the house. Georgia says "If'n you folks don't mind I'll stay out here, it's a mite upsetting fer me."

The door opens easily and lying on the bed is the body of a frail old lady, her head nearly clove in twain from ear to ear and a bloody poker lies on the bed. Blood congeals on the white sheets staining the bed crimson-black. Her left eye lies on her cheek and a numeral "1" is carved on her forehead. "I came back and he came at me from the study and took me downstairs. I did notice that he had two of old Mr Hopes suits on the bed and was ransacking the place, but they are gone now. I presume he took them."

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:10 pm
by DrPeterson
Henry's eyes narrow as he scrutinises the corpse and the bed. He takes in the entire crime scene, careful not to disturb it.

"One..."

He mouths the carving quietly and then looks up at the others.

"We'll have to move quickly if we don't want that number to go up."

OOC:   Edit by Keeper,Sorry if I was unclear ... the servant saw the suits were on the bottom of the bed but they are no longer there - I have amended your post and mine accordingly.  

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"My thoughts exactly," says Katherine. "We need to find out who he's going after next before he gets there. My guess is it's the other living descendants of that mob."

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:11 pm
by Priest

The manner in which he had dispatched the old lady was not pretty, in fact it was horrid. Everywhere was splattered with blood from her smashed head.
I watched fascinated as Henry, with the cold, dispassionate eye of the professional, noted the number one, carved on the old womans forehead.
I shudder glad for once that I didn't take pictures. Henry's voice drifts through the silence of the scene, and I instinctively reach for my notebook, "So where to from here? Other than the deceased the only name we have is Philips" I glance slowly around the room, "Maybe the old lady kept notes for her writing somewhere in the house, notes that might give us an edge on the mysterious murderer."

Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:01 am
by Mr. Handy

Katherine frowns at the grisly scene. "This is the devil's work," she says. "We must see that it is not repeated. Phillips is the only name we have right now, though Mrs. Hope may have known about the others. We don't know how much she may have told him, but she may have written something down somewhere. If we can't find anything in her writings, we should check back at the Historical Society to trace the Phillips family tree and find any living descendants."

Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:23 pm
by Cearlan
Georgia looks back over her shoulder at the mention of the name Phillips as she heads towards a room at the back of the house. "There are a lot of Phillips' living in Arkham, but come and have a look at this."

Opening the door she adds, "He came at me fro ... oh my!" her hand goes up to her mouth. As you go to her you look in the room and note that it is a fairly large library. Books are scattered everywhere. some covered in fresh blood. Georgia says, "He must have come in fer somethin' after he ..." There is a thud as she hits the floor, fainted dead away.

You can hear the sound of approaching police cars in the distance.

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Katherine quickly takes out a bottle of smelling salts from the small medical kit she carries and does her best to revive Georgia.

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:56 am
by Priest

I stare at the mess noting the blood stained books.
Jimmy thinking:   Hmm, he must have been searching for something, but what?  
I stoop and pick up one of the bloody books trying to see what its title is and whether it would give a clue to the subject of any particular book he had been in search of.

As Sr Katherine waves a bottle of smelling salts beneath the nose of Georgia I say aloud half musing,
"Maybe the old lady didn't tell him what he wanted to know, and maybe he didn't have time to complete his search."

I stare around at the ransacked shelves, "When she comes round, see if she sees anything obvious missing"

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:19 am
by DrPeterson
Henry swears loudly as the maid swoons.

"The cops will be here any moment soon and we'll lose precious time if we're still here too."

He fishes a cigarette from his pocket and lights it, inhaling deeply.

"I suggest you bail, I'll talk to the cops on why we were here and what we're researching, but you should move on and start the chase. I'll catch up as soon as I can."

He draws his revolver and hands it to Jimmy.

"Flip this switch to release the safety, point a little under where you want to hit and squeeze the trigger. You have six shots."

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:03 am
by Cearlan
Katherine,The maid coughs and splutters and pushes the acrid phial away from her continuing to cough as the salts catch at the back of her throat. [color=#FF4000]"Th ... thank you Sister, Lord but you seem to be stocking up on favours from old Georgia today. I'll be alright now thank you."[/color] She rises unsteadily to her feet and with your help manages to stagger over to a chair opposite the study door. [color=#FF4000]"Oh lord that will take some cleaning before the mistre ..."[/color] You can only watch in sympathy as her eyes well up with tears [color=#FF4000]"I guess there ain't no need fer all that now is there?[/color]" she asks as she turns her brown, tear filled doe eyes upon yours.
Jimmy,Jimmy picks up a book stained with blood at random and notices that it is a diary, little over a century old with torn and mangled pages hanging out. An endpaper identifies it as [i]"The Booke of Thoughts of Ethan Williams, for the Year of Our Lord 1814."[/i] One page seems to stand out, located towards the rear of the diary is the following extract; [center][url=http://s255.photobucket.com/user/Cearlan/media/Condemned/EthanWilliamsBookeofThoughts_zps91998ec4.png.html][img]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh150/Cearlan/Condemned/EthanWilliamsBookeofThoughts_zps91998ec4.png[/img][/url] Excerpt from [i]'Ethan William's Booke of Thoughts 1814'[/i][/center] Henry hands you his gun and gives you instructions about the safety catch.
Henry,You feel half-naked without your gun, but the nicotine from the cigarette seems to be calming your nerves a little. The maid seems to have recovered somewhat and with help from Katherine has managed to reach the chair opposite the study.
Sharon stands staring into the bedroom, at the ruined features of Mrs Hope, her face looking pale and pinched. In fact she looks as though she wants to be sick, though somehow is putting quite a brave face on it. Georgia looks around at Sharon with a look of pity on her face. "Come away there Missy, come away, it'll do you no good looking at her now. She's beyond your help and lies in God's lovin' arms now." Looking at the rest of you she adds "If you are agoin' to go and want to avoid the pollis then I can shore understand that well enough. I suggest you go now. I won't say anything about you all bein' here." She looks pointedly at Sharon, though the actress does not notice, her gaze still transfixed.
Her eyes meet Henry's "Though I would appreciate someone stopping back to help me explain what happened if you get my meaning. Just one thing though, what are you doing here ... it's not as though you could be just passing?"

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"No, we came here to visit Mrs. Hope," says Katherine. "We wanted both to warn her that she might be in danger, and to ask her some questions. The escaped mental patient that I think is responsible may believe that he is Sermon Bishop, a wizard who lived in the eighteenth century that was ambushed by seven people and entombed in the bridge that was recently struck by lightning. I think he might be out for revenge and looking for the descendants of those seven, and we want to find them before it's too late. So far the only one whose name we know is Phillips."

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:10 am
by Priest

I look at the book, "Seems we have another name - Williams, Ethan Williams. Unfortunately it gives no other names but does refer to the 'Band'."

I hand the book to Henry in exchange for the gun. For a moment i look at the small firearm, "Thanks - I think. I'm not sure that I can hit anything with it, but if all else fails I supose I can throw it at them". I flash a grin, but I don't feel very jolly with corpse lying next door, an uknown assailant lurking somewhere, the sound of the cops getting ever closer and our own pistol expert about to be taken away from us.

"Henry, it might be an idea to meet up back at the library in a couple of hours?"
Cearlan,I am moving on Thursday so will be without the computer for a while. Please run Jimmy as needed, but please be carefull with him I kinda like the guy :)

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"That sounds good," says Katherine. "I can help with the genealogical research." She turns to Georgia. "Take care of yourself, and I'm sorry for your loss. Take comfort that at least Mrs. Hope is with the Lord in paradise now. If God is willing, I'll come back sometime and explain things in more detail,"

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:42 pm
by Cearlan
Katherine,Georgia's eyes grow wide at your explanation about Sermon Bishop. [color=#FF4000]"Lord sakes girl ... I mean Sister, Where do people get fool notions like that from? I mean no disrespec' but dead is dead an' you either go to the good Lord or to Satan's domain as far as I hear tells of it."[/color] She looks agitated and slightly embarrassed to continue, but drawing a breath she says in a low voice that only you can hear. [color=#FF4000]"Between you and me now, girls talk you understand, there were stories that were spoke of ... tales to frighten the kids an' keep us in line, or so I always thought. These stories were only said in hushed whispers, of certain things and certain people's who managed to cheat death. Now my family used to tells of a Bishop from hereabouts who was supposed to be mighty in the ways of evil though it twisted his mind and body fro' what it should be according to God's will if you get my drift. To hear that name in connection with this ... this ..."[/color] she waves her hand about. [color=#FF4000]"... is just too much. I think I'll go visit my sister down New Orleans way where she lives. The Ju-Ju down there is more friendly." [/color]She smiles as she makes this last comment. In a louder voice she continues; [color=#FF4000]"There are a lot of folk round here called Phillips, Williams too I'm afraid, so sorry I can't help you there."[/color]
Henry Jimmy and Sharon,Henry refuses the proffered book. [color=#0040FF]"I know that this is material evidence but the cops would just either ignore it or file it away somewhere - you take it with you Jimmy, there may be more we can do with it later. As for meeting at the library ..."[/color] He takes Jimmy and Sharon off to one side as he looks at his watch. [color=#0040FF]" ... it's now after four o'clock, so the Library will be probably be closed in a couple of hours, I suggest you drop by the Historical Society and see if Lester has uncovered anything and handing over a handful of dollar bills over to Jimmy. "Jimmy, it seems we are going to be here for a few days so it might be an idea to get some rooms somewhere quiet and unobtrusive, though lodging with a nun might prove difficult to be unobtrusive."[/color] The sound of police sirens are getting closer. [color=#0040FF]"Go now or you won't be able to get away!"[/color] Jimmy and Sharon,Sharon says, [color=#FF4000]"I'd offer her some of my clothes to try and blend her in but she's not as tall as I am so they may not fit too well, but we girls will sort something out between us. Put your money away Henry ... I can arrange some suitable rooms at the Hotel Miskatonic. but I think you idea about Lester Ropes at the Historical Society is a good one. Jimmy if you drop me and Sister Katherine off at the Hotel, I can sort that out while you speak to Ropes."[/color]

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you all the same," says Katherine, "and you have been a help. I'd best go catch up with my friends. Godspeed, Georgia." With that, she takes her leave and goes looking for the others.

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:37 am
by DrPeterson
Henry heads downstairs to await the cops.

OOC: sorry for the LoA,very busy at school.

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:40 pm
by Cearlan
Henry,You await the police on the front porch and wave to the departing trio of Katherine, Jimmy and Sharon as they depart. About three or four minutes after they leave you see the first police car screech to a halt in the drive and a stern faced pair of officers get out quickly and their hands immediately go to their guns when they see you. [color=#FF4000]"OK Mister, no funny business now, who are you and what are you doing here?"[/color] A second and third car follow the first onto the drive with a further four officers and a detective pile out and suddenly you have three guns trained upon you. The detective holds his hand out in front of him as he steps forward towards the house. [color=#FF4000]"Easy there boy, we got you covered. We've had a report of some bad business at this house, who's inside and what can you tell us about what's going on?"[/color] Suddenly the door behind you opens and Georgia comes out on to the porch, limping heavily. [color=#FF4000]"Now you be leavin' him alone Detective, he's one o' the good guys. It was him that let me out of the ... well I suppose you better be comin' in. It's Missy Hope I'm afraid, she done been killed.[/color]" The sound of hammers being drawn back on the police revolvers is deafening. Georgia limps over to stand in front of you. [color=#FF4000]"I told you he's nothing to do with it. He freed me, looked after me and let me call you boys over - does that sound like a killer to you?"[/color]
Jimmy Katherine and Sharon,You get in your car and pass the police car two blocks away from the Hope residence. You arrive back at the Historical Society and find Lester Ropes still working in the library. [color=#FF4000]"Look at what I have managed to uncover for you!"[/color] he exclaims as he sees you enter the room. [color=#FF4000]"I have found a long winded rambling book covering many local witchcraft-related events. In this, lies a chapter titled [b]'Testimony Regarding the Disappearance of Sermon Bishop'[/b]: this convoluted and lengthy document is mostly useless, dealing as it does in times, places, and accusations. However, you notice that seven men offer most of the testimony. Their names are Peter Ames, Jeremiah Crane, Jebel Noyes, Elihu Phillips, James Pierce, Allen White, and Ethan Williams."[/color]

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:42 pm
by DrPeterson
Henry raises his hands in the air.

"Wow, take it easy, guys, I used to be a cop too. You can lower your pieces."

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:18 pm
by Cearlan
Henry,The detective ascends the steps but the officers shift positions so that they keep their guns trained on you. [color=#FF4000]"So Mister, why don't you tell me just who you are and what happened here?"[/color] Georgia steps in and explains. [color=#FF4000]"I already tolt you. A man broke into the house and done killt Missy hope and hog-tied me up and put me in th' cupboard. if it weren't fer this here man I'd be there still."[/color] He looks you over and stands the officers down. [color=#FF4000]"It's OK boys, Johnson, you and Albertson come with me, the rest go round the back."[/color] He looks at you once more. [color=#FF4000]"I'm Detective Spillman and it looks like we have some business to talk over here. Craddock, why don't you take the servant here into the kitchen while me 'n' the boys talk out here for a bit."[/color]

Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:22 pm
by Priest

"Hmm", I scratch my chin thoughtfully as I ponder the information, "More names out of the past. What we need to know now is if they have any modern descendants, and their addresses".

I pull the book, with its ominous bloodstains from my pocket and hand it to Lester, "We were too late for Mrs Hope, our unknown visitor got there before us. Hopefully he found no information to lead him to another unsuspecting soul. But if he did we need to get to them before he does".

"Tell me, is there a telephone book in the building?"
OOC:   Not sure about the availability of a telephone book at the time?  

Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:12 am
by DrPeterson
Cearlan,[b]Henry [/b]lowers his hands and introduces himself. "I'm [b]Henry Calamy[/b], PI. I'm working on the [b]Atwater-Cardigan[/b] case and I'm sure you have a few questions, Detective. I'll try my best to answer them.

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:22 pm
by Cearlan
Henry,[ooc]Rather than 'role playing each and every question and answer like we would in a face to face game, what do you intend to tell him in the next 5-10 minutes[/ooc]
Jimmy,[ooc]The first telephone book was produced in New Haven, Connecticut, in 1878 but was business-based only as most private telephones were party lines. I'll rule that there is no phone books for individual lines. You could try the operator, but it is unlikely that they would give information based on a vague assumption.[/ooc] Lester looks at you, twisting his already sour-looking face. [color=#FF4000]"I also found out where Bishop's farm used to be here on this 1742 map of the area We found in 'Thaumaturgical Properties' that Richard Russel was his neighbour and here is his farm - the script may be hard to read, but they are both on Bad Water Road which is now Hill Street."[/color]

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:09 pm
by Priest

I scan the map, as Lester says the writing is hard to make out but...
I glance up, "How close is Hill Street to Curzon where the old lady lived? And have you any idea of whether there is a Russel living in that area since if there is then we may assume that the assailant is heading that way"

Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:18 pm
by Cearlan
Lester Ropes looks at the map and gets an old set of dividers out of his desk drawer. After a few minutes calculation he says; "Well According to my calculations the Russel house would be on West Main Street in the Merchant District - about where it meets Boundary Street. Probably beside where the public Schools Building is. I'll check to see if we have any Russels living in that area." He walks over to the card index file and after a few minutes returns shaking his head. "We have two Russels who are members here but none of them live in the Merchant District. Neither of them are of Arkham blood if you get my drift. I believe that one is from Canada and the other from Kingsport, but I could be wrong."

Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:33 pm
by Priest

"Hmm", for a moment I glance up at the ceiling as if I might find answers there amongst the cobwebs, "So Russel seems to be a bust."
Jimmy thinking:   I wish Henry was here he might no the right questions to ask.  
I shrug resignedly, "Is there some other connection with the writings that I'm missing?" the question was more out loud thinking than one expecting any answer.

I look at Lester, "What's the addresses of these Russels, just in case?"

Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:00 pm
by Cearlan
Lester gives the two addresses as follows;

"Elijah Russell - 493 Halsey Street over in Easttown and Melissa Russell - 63 West Hyde Street, that's over on the Northside She lost her husband some years back and has not been in for some time herself. Elijah tends to pop in about once a month."

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"Perhaps with the genalogical information available at the Historical Society, we could now trace those seven families," suggests Katherine. "Some of those names are fairly common, and this could help us figure out which ones are actual descendents."
OOC,I'm sorry, I didn't realize that the spoiler button was also addressed to me and hadn't read it. I was wondering where I was.

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:56 pm
by Cearlan
"Ah ..." replies Lester to Sr Katherine's statement. "... that would be Mr Peabody's area of expertise I'm afraid. And this is where the bad news comes in. Whilst doing my research today, I did notice that there are several books that seem to be missing from the library stacks. I may have missed them but I don't think so - I take great pride in my work and the thoroughness of it. Let me double check."

He scurries off and after some frantic searching and cursing coming from between the stacks and Peabody's office, Lester returns about ten minutes later. "Yes there are several documents and books missing from the local genealogy section. It is overseen by Mr Peabody himself, and he is even more fastidious about his books than I, and that is saying a great deal. I have even checked his office and they are definitely not there.

"I can search through our member catalogue to see if any of the names I gave you exist if you wish ... P. Ames, J. Crane, J. Noyes, E. Phillips, J. Pierce, A. White, and E. Williams Some families still stick to naming their first born after their father, but this comes unstuck if there is a daughter involved who got married of course."

OOC:   Sorry MrH forgot to add you in there  

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:26 pm
by DrPeterson
Cearlan-OOC,I totally missed that post, sorry :)
Cearlan:,Henry will tell the truth,but he'll leave out any supernatural details. He'll postulate the theory that Atwater went crazy, and given his proclivities for the occult, he believes now that he's some colonial witch who's out for revenge on the relatives for whoever sentenced him back in the day. He'll also add that he didn't make this up, but that the people at the loony bin pointed out that this is very plausible due to the severe nature of the trauma he suffered.

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:25 pm
by Cearlan
Henry,After grilling you for about fifteen minutes, Det Spillman says [color=#FF4000]"Right, can you wait in the car with this officer here while me and the boys take a look around inside for a bit."[/color] Without waiting for an answer he turns on his heel and with the policemen he mentioned he enters the house. Ten minutes later he returns and says to you "Henry Calamy, get out of the car please and step over here if you'd be so kind." When you comply he looks you up and down, moving around behind you he continues to examine you. Once in front of you once more he tells you to [color=#FF4000]"Hold your hands out."[/color] After examining your hands and sleeves he nods. [color=#FF4000]"You got some slight traces of blood on your fingertips from somewhere, which fits in with what you said about the books in the library. I believe that you did not strike the blow that killed Mrs Hope, nor were you in the vicinity as you would have a lot of blood on your clothing. Where you stopping while you are in town, I do hope you are not planning on leaving our lovely little town just yet?"[/color]

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"Perhaps the intruder also looked through and made off with the missing materials," says Katherine. "We'll just have to do our best with what remains."

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:35 pm
by Priest

I nod at Sister Katherine's point she may well be right. following a distant hope I turn to Lester, "These missing books, did Mr Peadbody keep a catalogue that would throw a light on the missing titles by any chance?"

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:18 pm
by DrPeterson
Cearlan:,[b]Henry [/b]snorts, "[color=#0000BF]I'm glad you believe me, detective. Believe me, I want to get to the bottom of this too.[/color]" He takes a cigarette from his pocket and lights it. "[color=#0000BF]My office is in town, so I'm not going to go dash off to anywhere soon. I'll let you know if I find out something more. Am I free to go now?[/color]"

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:58 pm
by Cearlan
Henry,[color=#FF4000]"Yes I saw that on your licence, which by the way runs out in six weeks, but we have to be sure, as you will no doubt understand."[/color]
Historical Society,Lester asks for some help and Sharon starts looking through the index cards but unfortunately she cannot find any other matches to the names given. Lester meanwhile goes through the book catalogues and returns with a handwritten volume. "I have checked what is on the shelves and I believe that there are eight folders missing. The folders cover the genealogies of Peter Ames, Jeremiah Crane, Jebel Noyes, Elihu Phillips, James Pierce, Richard Russel and Allen White, and Ethan Williams.

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:03 am
by Mr. Handy

"Precisely the ones we needed," says Katherine. "That confirms our suspicions. Would we be able to find this information at Miskatonic University's library? I doubt he'll have stolen from there too. He's more interested in having the information for himself than in covering his tracks, it seems. He stole these folders, but he might not have gone out of his way to wipe out all other sources of this knowledge. He'll want to track down the descendants first rather than spend time doing something else."

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:06 am
by DrPeterson
Cearlan:,"[color=#0000BF]Six weeks is a long time, detective. I'm sure we'll be in touch. Happy hunting.[/color]" Henry lights up another cigarette and starts walking away. (OOC: Did the others take his car, or is it still there?)

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:41 pm
by Cearlan
Lester shakes his head ruefully, "Sorry Sister, these were Mr Peabody's own personal interests which he donated to the society. As far as I am aware there are no other copies. Wait! Let me see the list of names again! I think I just remembered something." Lester takes the list from whoever has it and hits the paper with his forefinger. "See here we have Elihu Phillips. Now I am not saying there is a connection here but there is a Retribution Phillips lives over on Sutton Road, just off the Aylesbury Pike. I remember this because there was a piece in the paper recently about him becoming a centenarian." He goes to the stacks and pulls a folio of newspapers down and after a few minutes searching waves you over.

You see a short article, only a paragraph or two, about a Retribution Phillips turning 100 years old.
OOC:   (no handout, but i'll try to get one sorted in the next day or so).  

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:51 pm
by Priest

I scan the newspaper paragraph that Lester is pointing out, "Hmm, so if this Retribution Philips is descended from the Elihu Philips, Peabody had in his studies, chances are that this is our best lead to where the killer may strike next."

I scratch the back of my neck thoughtfully, a habit that I had developed in childhood, before replacing my hat in readiness for departure. "Is there a full address for this Philips, or do we simply cruise the area and hope we find him before the killer?"

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:42 pm
by Mr. Handy

"If he has a telephone, he might be listed in the directory," says Katherine. "We should head there right away as soon as we have the address. There's not a moment to lose! Even if a crazed murderer weren't after him, he's not getting any younger."

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:49 am
by Cearlan

The article gives his address as 123 Sutton Road.

Posted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:26 pm
by Cearlan
You arrive at 123 Sutton Road without mishap. The area is dotted with occasional houses just off the Aylesbury Pike. As you approach the house you see that it is a small 17th century house in reasonably shabby condition. As you kknock on the door, you hear an aged, cracked voice telling you; "Hold yer horses there young'un I am coming jest as fast as me ault legs can go."

Suddenly the door is opened and there stands before you the gnarled figure of Retribution Phillips who gazes over you all with watering, rheumy eyes.

"An' who may ye be botherin' an old man at this time of day?" You can see a hint of humour and mischief behind his gaze

Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy

Katherine smiles, liking this old man already. "I'm Sister Katherine O'Neill," she says. "I'm sorry to disturb you, Mr. Phillips, but my friends and I have reason to believe that your life may be in danger."

Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:49 pm
by Priest

I think that it might be best to let Sister Katherine deal with old Mr Philips, since the Church has a way of talking to the older generations understandings, Nuns especialy.

As she speaks I let my eyes wander around the surroundings looking for anything odd.

Spot Hidden,65% 1d100 → [4] = (4) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4488367/

Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:15 pm
by Cearlan
"It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance Sr O'Neill. I'm sorry but you'll have to speak up." He says cupping his hand to his ear. "I'm not a'hearing too good just lately. Must be what the doc called titenus. You say you think I'm a danger." He chuckles broadly "It's my age girl, sorry but I fergit myself sometimes. At my age, hell, I am a danger even to those around me. It's in my blood you see."
Jimmy,you see an ancient book acting as a doorstop, it looks familiar ...if you approach you can see that it is a copy of [i]"Thaumaturgical Prodigies of the new Cannan."[/i]

Posted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:05 am
by Mr. Handy

Katherine speaks up so that Retribution Phillips can better hear. "No, I said we think you're in danger," she says.

Posted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:47 am
by Cearlan
Retribution shakes his head confused look on his face. "No Sister, The Doc jest said the whooshin' 'n' whistlin' noises would always be there, but titenus, t'ain't dangerous. Least-ways I don't think so. He didn't seem too bothered about it now I think of it. He gave me these ear drops, ... now where did I put them?" He starts fussing around on a small table beside where he sits.

Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"Here, let me help you find them," says Katherine, looking on the table for the ear drops. Perhaps I'd better come at this from a different angle, she thinks. "That is not the source of the danger. Tell me, did you have an ancestor named Elihu Phillips who lived in the eighteenth century?"

Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:53 pm
by Cearlan
Retribution looks sharply at you. "Ey that I am Sister. He was my grandpappy. Don't remember too much about him. Why d'ye ask? What's this about?" You can tell he's starting to get himself agitated about something.

Posted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:00 am
by Mr. Handy

"Your grandfather was the leader of a group of seven who put an end to the notorious wizard Sermon Bishop," says Katherine. "There's an escaped mental patient on the loose who seems to believe that he is Sermon Bishop, though he is quite a young man. He'd have to be mad to think he was older than you. He is out for revenge against those he thinks wronged him, and while all of the seven are long since dead, he may be going after their descendants."

Posted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:39 pm
by Cearlan
"Aye, I knows that story Sister, there was my Grandpappy, an' six of his friends who pout someone down who was s'posed to be a magician of sorts. Now I ain't sayin' he was and I ain't sayin' he wasn't right to do so ... you all know the witch trials and so forth that swept the area about that time. Salem was the start of it all ... and to think this was s'psed to be a land where there is no religious persecution. Makes you think don't it?" Retribution grabs hold of Katherine's hand.

"Jest be careful Sister. There is more than we know about at play here. My great grandpappy was a reverend you know. Obviously afore my time, and I seen a lot in my many years. But he wrote a book called "Thaumaturgical Prodigies in the New Cannan" which went on about demons and all manner of things. It seems he musta got caught up in all the madness back then as well." The old man chuckles to himself. "But of course we live in a more enlightened age nowadays where such things are scoffed at. Maybe some of the old things should still be observed. But you would be better placed than an old man like me to work that one out. I have a copy of the book somewhere around here, but I ain't seen it in some time."

Posted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:54 pm
by Priest

I chuckle, "Like the book you've got acting as a door stop over there?"

I walk over and bend to pick up the book, "Yep, 'Thaumaturgical Prodigies in the New Cannan'" I flick open the pages to the beginning.

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Mr. Phillips," says Katherine. "I shall be careful. I do know a little of the supernatural, and I know that there is more to this world than meets the eye. I did suspect demonic involvement, but it's more complicated than a case of possession."

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:47 pm
by Cearlan
"Hehehe, not meanin' to sound like I's teachin' you to suck eggs Sister," the old man laughs. "How do you know it's more complicated? An' remember that I'm but a simple man so try not to use long-winded explanations."

Posted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:10 am
by Mr. Handy

Katherine chuckles. "It's quite all right, Mr. Phillips," she says, "and a very good question. When I saw the patient, before he escaped, I began to suspect something unusual. I wasn't certain whether or not it was a case of possession, so I called in a priest I know, one Father Marsh, to examine him. He told me afterwards that it was not possession, but that there was something else odd going on with the patient."

Posted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:41 pm
by Cearlan
"Aye Sister, well things such as this are beyond my ken ... But what I can say with some degree of certainty is that there was s'posed to be a book o' some kind, something that Bishop thought of as a bible o' some kind, though it was said to be evil book if you can believe such a thing. That was kept by Captain Pierce. I used to keep in touch with their family, but fell out with them a long time since. They lived over Federal Street way, though I can't say if they are still there or not. Not seen nor heard o' them in near ten years." The old man looks at you all, one by one.

"So you really think there is some kind o' danger from this man who lived so long ago? I find that hard to believe myself, but I'll take what care an old man like me can. I have no idea what sort of danger a man even older than me can inflict, but I'll be careful. Thanking you all, if there is nothing else now, I'm tired out after all this excitement - not used to it you know."

Posted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"You're welcome, and I think the danger is quite real," says Katherine. "He's killed once already. I also think some of us should remain with you at all times, to both protect you and to apprehend him in case he makes an attempt. I won't be much good if it comes to a fight, though my medical skills may be useful afterwards. Those of us who don't stay with you can look up Captain Pierce and try to locate this book. I have a feeling we're going to need it."

Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:52 pm
by Priest

I tear myself away from the book.
"I have Henry's gun, so I guess I'll stay and watch out for our mysterios stranger. If that's okay with Mr Philips here?"
I smile and pat my jacket pocket where I had placed the pistol.
"Sides it will give me the chance to read some more of this, um, interesting book"

Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:52 pm
by Cearlan
"Well now I ain't so sure 'bout lettin' strangers just take over my home now." Retribution says defiantly. "Now while I appreciate the warning an' all, you ain't offered me nothin' to back it up yet. I'd like to be left alone now if'n you don't mind as I'm plum tuckered out!"

Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm sorry, I don't mean to be a bother," says Katherine, "but I care about you, and I don't want you to go to meet the Lord before your time. You've yet got some good years in you. The man has already struck before. He ransacked the Historical Society, badly injured someone there, and stole genealogical information about the seven families, including yours. Then he murdered Mrs. Nina Williams Hope in her home and tied up her maid. He carved the number '1' into Mrs. Hope's forehead, which means he isn't done killing. Please, at least let one or two of us stay with you. We won't get in your way. Besides, it must get lonely here all by yourself. I'm sure you could do with someone to talk to."

Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:49 pm
by Cearlan
Retribution shakes his head sadly. "I'm truly sorry to hear about Missy Hope, I really am. But no Sister, thankin' you and all that, but I prefer my own company and anyways, I doubt my snoring would be much company fer either of you. An I feel that it won't be long afore I am asleep." Retribution looks to Jimmy. "You can borrow that book if'n you'd like young man, as long as you looks after it and returns it to me when you're done."

Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:51 pm
by Priest

I push the book into my jacket hip pocket, the opposite one to Henry's gun if it fits, and nod to the old man,
"Sure thing, I'll take good care of it" I pat my pocket reassuringly.

"Do me a favour, after we've gone lock and bolt this door and don't open it unless you know the caller"

I turn to Sister Katherine,
"So how do we do this, do we go try and find this Captain Pierce fella, or do we try and find Henry first? I'm guessing that he would have headed over to his office"

Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:01 pm
by Cearlan
Retribution nods at your promising to take care of his book. "Captain Pierce died pretty soon after he got the book according to local legend."

Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"TIme is of the essence," says Katherine. "We may need to split our forces and join up again later. I'll go with the group that looks for the book." She turns back to Retribution. "Thank you for your time and your help, Mr. Phillips. We'll leave you in peace now."

Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:53 pm
by Cearlan
"Thanking you both fer the warnin'. I really 'ppreciate it." Retribution says as he watches you both walk away from his front door, waving at you when you turn back. He turns and goes into his house, closing the door behind him.

Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:22 pm
by Priest

I watch as the old guy closes the door, I can't help but wonder if we're seeing the last of him. Still he insisted we leave.

Turning to Sister Katherine, I repeat my earlier question,
"Do we go find Henry or go look for this Pierce connection? I don't like the idea of splitting up without Henry knowing what we are doing"

Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"I didn't want to say anything while Mr. Phillips was here," Katherine says, "but we may have to split up regardless. One or two of us should stay nearby without being seen and keep an eye on the place in case the killer shows up. Whoever stays won't go on his property unless there's an emergency, of course. I'd feel terrible if something happened to him in our absence. Does Henry have a telephone in his office? If so, the best thing to do would be to call him and have him meet us at Pierce's place. I think we're going to need that book sooner rather than later."

Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:09 am
by Priest

I grin, nod, then assume a more serious, thoughtful expression.
"I suppose I'd best do the staying as I have Henry's gun, though I aint sure I could hit a barn door with it"

I remove my hat and fiddle with the sweat band before replacing it in a determined manner. I pull a battered buisness card from my inside pocket, "Here is Henry's card. If you come across a phone booth on your travels try him. I'll just find a good place where I can keep an eye on Phillips' place and try to keep him out of harm"

I pull the black pistol from my pocket and check the cylinder. "Six shots, I may not be able to hit anything but the noise should scare any one off and bring the cops running. Good luck Sister"

I replace the pistol in my pocket. "Oh, and you'd best take the car. I have a feeling that I won't be needing it."

Posted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, and God be with you," says Katherine, accepting the card. "Are you sure you won't need the car? What if he shows up and you manage to frighten him off and have to chase him? We can't risk him getting away, and you may need it to pursue him."

Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:17 pm
by Priest

"If he takes off across a field, or up some alleyway the car aint gonna help me. Anyway I think the best I can hope for is to scare him off. From the mess he left at the old ladies and the hiding he gave Peacock, I aint to sure i want to catch up with him - alone anyway"

Once more I check the revolver, nervously and set my hat low over my eyes with my overcoat collar turned up the way that I had seen them do it in the movies.

Posted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:02 am
by Mr. Handy

"All right, if you're sure," says Katherine, "but make sure you can keep an eye on both the front and back of the house. He used the back door last time."

Posted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:54 pm
by Cearlan
Jimmy,As you watch the house you notice that old Retribution Phillips seems to retire for the night about ten o'clock. [ooc]How long are you keeping watch for?[/ooc]
Katherine,You get into the car and head off downtown. You find a telephone directory with a listing for Henry's agency and ring the number. It rings for some time before Henry finally answers. "Hello? you ask.
Henry,You return to your office or apartment and sit worrying about events in the case. Nothing seems to add up at all - not in the regular sense anyway. Men don't come back from the dead to exact revenge There was poor Miss Hope ... Mr Peabody at the Historical Society and God alone knows who else is next on the list. There were seven men who put the supposed wizard Bishop into the bridge one of which was Miss Hopes ancestor. Another drink of bourbon should help. The phone rings and when you finally answer it is Sr Katherine on the line. "Hello?" she asks.

Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"Mr. Calamy, it's Sister O'Neill," says Katherine. "We've spoken to Mr. Phillips and borrowed an interesting book from him. Mr. Vecchio is staking out the house in case the murderer shows up, and I'm on my way to look for another book that I think we're going to need that belonged to the late Captain Pierce. Can you please meet me at his house?" She gives Henry the address.

Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:53 pm
by DrPeterson

Calamy finally picks up.

Sister Katherine, a pleasure to hear you. I'll be right over. Jimmy didn't shoot himself in the foot yet, did he?

Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's good to hear your voice too," says Katherine. "Jimmy was fine when I left him, and I haven't heard any gunshots."

Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:46 pm
by Cearlan
OOC:   You were not given an exact address from Retribution, just a general area of Captain Pierce's family living over Federal Street.  
You both arrive at Federal Street without incident. The evening is starting to fall and the streetlights start to come on. Tendrils of mist start to rise from the ground but does not seem to get above the knees ... yet.

Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, how do you want to handle this?" asks Katherine. "We could just knock on a door and ask whoever answers if he or she knows where to find the Pierce house. Although If the family has a telephone, the address should be listed in the directory."

Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:38 pm
by Priest

I find a good place where I can keep an eye on the house. As I watch the lights go out one by one and I glance at my watch.
Jimmy thinking:   Ten, so the old guy hit the sack at ten. I'll keep watching till about one.  
I yawn, stretch tired muscles.
Jimmy thinking:   Damn this is as bad as any stakeout I've ever done for a scoop, and all for one old man and some hocus pocus mumbo jumbo.  

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:35 am
by Cearlan
Henry and Katherine meet up at Federal street whilst Jimmy stands guard over Retribution's abode. The evening sky is clear for the first time in a few days, though the ground mist seems to cling around your feet making your feet distinctly wet. You walk down the street getting a 'feel' for the place. After getting about halfway down the street you notice a shadowy figure in hiding as he watches a house across the street very intently.

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"Perhaps that is the house in question," says Katherine quietly. "Someone else is showing an interest in it. It would be good to get a better look at whoever it is without being noticed ourselves."

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:26 pm
by Priest
OOC:   Cearlan, Does this watching figure apply to Jimmy?  

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:00 am
by Cearlan
OOC:   OOC - No - Jimmy is watching Retribution Phillips' house out of town