IC-Ep 1-Ghostwriter(Story/Elizabeth/Lucius/Brook/Val/Elliot)

New UNIT Scientific Advisor Dr. Valerie Kirby has mysteriously disappeared during routine inquiries in Dunwich, and a team from UNIT has been hastily assembled to go to Dunwich in order to find her and bring her back. Meanwhile, Story and his companions materialize in Dunwich and begin to explore.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: IC-Ep 1-Ghostwriter(Story/Elizabeth/Lucius/Brook/Val/Ell

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I don't get many visitors," said Virgil. "The occasional fan has ventured here over the years to seek me out and talk to me about my writing, but nobody from Dunwich ever comes here. I'm persona non grata. Recently, only Dr. Kirby has asked me about my stories."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

Lucius took a couple moments to glance outside again, a quick check for undesirables before asking Virgil, "I should like to read one of your books about the local lore. Where might I be able to get a copy? I don't suppose there would be many in the village with the villagers seeming to be at odds against you."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The road outside the cottage was still peaceful and deserted.

"You'd be correct there," said Virgil, seeming to take no notice of the Roman's distraction. "I do have a few copies of my own books here, though, if you'd like to borrow one. They're in my study. I'll go get one for you." He rose from his seat. "If you'll excuse me, I'll be back shortly." He headed back to the living room, opening a door set into the left wall and vanishing through it.

Midnight remained perched on Brook's lap and meowed.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Thorn
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by Thorn »

Brook strokes the cat gently and watches as mr Soames leave through a secret doorway, wondering if he'll come back at all. She'd seen all sorts of things lately, and wasn't as easily surprised as before.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Secret door?,I don't think it was a secret door. It is just a magical door that makes people vanish when they step through it.
Thorn
Adept
Adept

Post by Thorn »

(Misunderstood, disregard. Just door.)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Midnight licked Brook's hand as she stroked him, gazing up at her with his deep cat's eyes.
OOC,No, the door's not hidden, I just neglected to describe it when you went through the living room to get to the dining room. It's not magical, either. The wall in which it's set is. Either that, or you simply lack the ability to see through walls. ;)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by yockenthwaite »

"I bet his study is full of fascinating things," says Elizabeth. "It's lovely to have been able to talk to him like this."
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Post by jaysun81 »

Story smiles at Elizabeth's comment. "Indeed."
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

A moment later, Virgil returned with a small hardback book under his arm. He handed it to Lucius, who saw the title The Lore and Legends of Olde Dunwich. Beneath it was the author's name, Virgil Soames. "This is my first book," said Virgil, "and a good introduction. It's written for the layman, though historians may find it of interest as well. Copies of this are hard to come by, as there was only one printing and it didn't sell all that well. But at least the publisher provided me with a number of author copies."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Lucius accepted the book with a smile and a curt bow from the hips, "I am most greatful, Mr. Soames. I shall return it as soon as I am done reading it." He held the book up and smiled to Story (as if to say 'this is going to come in handy, I'll bet').

He opened the cover and looked for the table of contents, not even sure if he'd be able to read English in a book. Sure, he could make out signs and such compliments of the T.A.R.D.I.S. special capabilities, but a book could prove too complicated. He hadn't tried yet to know if it would even work.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Oh, you're quite welcome," said Virgil. "I hope it proves enlightening. Were there any other questions?"

Lucius was able to understand the book's text just fine. It was made very similarly to books he had seen in 1930, though quite different from the scrolls he was used to from his own time. The table of contents showed that chapters were broken down by era and presented in chronological order. The first chapter described Dunwich's early days as a Roman fort. Though the Roman invasion of Britannia wouldn't happen until after his own time, he had heard it mentioned during his adventures. He was unfamiliar with the two thousand years that had passed between his own day and this one, but he could see the ages he had passed over described briefly here: Early Medieval, Late Medieval, Renaissance, Enlgihtenment, Industrial, and Modern.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mskatonic
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Mskatonic »

Valerie sipped her tea and listened to the conversation. She glanced thoughtfully at the four visitors who had also come to visit the author. It seemed an odd mix of company, but who was she to judge? From what she knew of Dunwich, it wasn't a town that attracted many visitors on a day to day basis. What could be happening to draw such interest? Her mind wandered to Dr. Kirby and her potential whereabouts. Dr Kirby was a kind woman and Valerie hoped that nothing too dreadful had happened to her, although knew better than to be too hopeful. It seemed time was of the essence with this case.

Valerie set her tea cup on the saucer, turned to Virgil and asked, "Well, Virgil, your family has lived in Dunwich for centuries you say? I don't recall my late husband ever mentioning family in this area. Philip did fancy a bit of genealogy study later in his life, but never got too far with it. It seems Elliot here is carrying on the torch in that department." Valerie smiled warmly at Elliot.

OOC-I didn't see the name of Valerie's late husband so I just made up a name,hope that's ok.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Ah, well the fact that your husband never mentioned having family here doesn't prove anything one way or the other," said Virgil. "We have had some branches of our family tree spread out from Dunwich, and it's no surprise if they didn't want to talk about us - especially considering what happened after the war. Let me see..." He stroked his chin in thought. "Philip, you say? I've studied my family history, and I recall that my father had a cousin named Philip Soames who was born in Dunwich. He was a commissioned officer in World War Two, a lieutenant I believe. He didn't return to Dunwich after the war, though. He settled down somewhere in the Home Counties after he was demobbed. Both my brother and I were too young to have remembered meeting him, and we had no contact with him after our parents were killed in 1946."
OOC,Yes, that's fine. His name was never established by [b]Valerie[/b]'s original player, so you were free to do so.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Post by jaysun81 »

Story listens to the conversation between Virgil and Valerie. After a moment he gets up and walks over to Lucius and points at the book. "Anything interesting?"
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
Thorn
Adept
Adept

Post by Thorn »

Brook pets Midnight, and listens to the conversation, wondering what kind of mystery the Tardis has landed them in. Probably has something to do with the big fish. Big fish are scary.
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by yockenthwaite »

Elizabeth sits quietly, ostensibly listening to Valerie and Virgil, but intrigued by Story's question, and listening in to him and Lucius with more interest.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"It is quite extensive. Indeed, Mr. Soames has done a good deal of research, covering several Eras... not as far back as my..." he quieted himself quite abruptly and looked up suddenly before saying something stupid and then rerouted his choice of words. "Well... let's just say not my area of expertise. But it should make for interesting reading. I may have a few questions about the details of you, Story. You seem fairly well educated on all of these eras," Lucius said with a wink.

He handed the book over to Story so that he could take a gander.
Mskatonic
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Mskatonic »

"Well, I'll say! My Philip was a lieutenant in the war! Fancy that, we would be in-laws of sorts if it is the same Philip as in your research. It is a small world isn't it?" Valerie mused. " However, you say you are the last of the Dunwich Soames? Your parents were killed? How tragic that must have been for you.... Valerie became a bit concerned about her and Elliot's cover story since Soames did not appear well-loved in this town.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Mew," squeaked Midnight, nuzzling Brook cheerfully.

"Quite," said Virgil with a smile. "Then we may in fact be family. This isn't absolute proof, of course, but it certainly looks that way. Thank you for your kindness, Mrs. Soames. Yes, I am the last of our line in Dunwich. I was only three when my parents died. I don't even remember what happened. Edward was seven, and he protected me. He always has, really. After it happened, our aunt and uncle looked after us, but they passed away of natural causes in the sixties. When Edward died in 1970, that only left me from the Soames line in Dunwich. I've never married; no woman in town would dare even if she felt any attraction. Besides, have you seen some of them?" He shook his head from side to side. "It's no great loss for me, and I've no desire to look farther afield. I won't leave Dunwich, either. This is my home, and I refuse to be driven out. I will spend the rest of my life here."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Episode 1”