IC-Ep 1-Missing in Action(UNIT team)

New UNIT Scientific Advisor Dr. Valerie Kirby has mysteriously disappeared during routine inquiries in Dunwich, and a team from UNIT has been hastily assembled to go to Dunwich in order to find her and bring her back. Meanwhile, Story and his companions materialize in Dunwich and begin to explore.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

SSior.27
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Re: IC-Ep 1-Missing in Action

Post by SSior.27 »

Chad sat silent in thought, troubled at what this could mean for Dr. Kirby. He could feel the corners of his mind whispering about Dunwich but they just weren't releasing their secrets.

Then the realization hit him that once again his damned scarred face might make flying below the radar a more difficult task than for the others. Not good to have discerning features when trying to go incognito...
Last edited by SSior.27 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seeing Eihort - 1d6/1d20 Sanity Loss
Seeing Cthulhu - 1d10/1d100 Sanity Loss
Seeing 'Twilight' - Automatic Permanent Insanity
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Tobias frowns as he thinks about going incognito. He looks at the time, flashing a brief glimpse of an expensive Rolex on his wrist. He turns to Raymond, "I'll follow your lead in this, Sir."
Mr. Handy,History (20%) [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3741174/]1d100=14[/url] Surprisingly, since Tobias hasn't been in the UK since his college days, he does know something about Dunwich.
jimacol
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by jimacol »

Elliot had also heard of Dunwich. He recalls a dreary caravan holiday with foster parents to East Anglia, though whether they actually passed through the place he doesn't recall.

Chad on the other hand had never heard of the place.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"RAF Halesworth hasn't seen much use since the war," continued the brigadier. "It's just north of the town of Halesworth, and from there it's a short drive to Dunwich. While you're in Dunwich, the helicopter will be refueled and will be waiting for your return. Are there any questions?"
OOC,I edited my previous post to change your initial destination to RAF Halesworth.
Tobias Maddox/Elliot Webb,Both [b]Tobias[/b] and [b]Elliot[/b] had heard of Dunwich, though they had never been there. It had once been one of the great cities of medieval England, but over the centuries the sea had eroded the coastline, causing most of it to be submerged. It was now little more than a village, though it was still an occasional holiday spot for tourists and those interested in Dunwich's history.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years

Post by CrackheadC. »

"Just a few sir, when we find Dr. Kirby should we continue the investigation with her, or just bring her home? I assume we'll be under the same orders to check in every morning as well." Raymond gets the last of his questions in before waiting to be dismissed.

Once they are dismissed, but before the leave Raymond turns to Tobias, "Get your stuff together, looks like we're field agents this time. I'd suggest getting yourself a gun from the armory. Looks like this might not be the safest of trips."

Raymond will gather some things - in particular a small set of tools. After that he will stop by UNIT armory to pick up whatever is the smallest standard-issued UNIT sidearm. He isn't trained with them, but he's been through enough to know that not every problem can be solved with words. Once he is all set up, Raymond will grab a quick breakfast at the mess hall with whoever else is available before reporting for their flight.
SSior.27
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SSior.27 »

Chad raised his hand, not waiting for permission to speak. "Sir, if I'm to be flying everyone in, I would much prefer to check out the craft myself before departing. With your permissions, of course."
MadJaymilton
Layman
Layman

Post by MadJaymilton »

Leonek shook his head; no questions from him. He didn't get up yet, though, wanting to hear what the Brigadier would have to say to the others. He'd have to stop by the quartermaster's when this was done and ask for a map--breakfast and the chopper ride would be ample time to study the layout of Dunwich.
markh
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by markh »

Valerie is not interested in guns, although she will pack a small selection of interesting pharmaceuticals. She will also make a couple of calls and put together a light cover story for her and Eliott.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Thank you Sir, I actually have a handgun." Tobias smiles self-deprecatingly to Raymond, "It's a bit of a hobby of mine. But I would like to take a small camera if there is one in stores; mine got broken recently. I'll take my tools, I guess, and casual wear." As the others file out he takes another look at the slides, writing a few notes on the abnormalities. Then he heads off to get his gear ready.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'll leave that up to your judgment and to Dr. Kirby's, Mr. MacIntyre," said Brigadier Crichton. "Much will depend on the situation at the time, but you may pursue the original investigation if you can safely do so. In fact, it may prove beneficial to pursue the investigation before you've found her so that you can retrace her steps. Yes, please do check in after arriving in Dunwich and every morning. You'll be in overall charge of the team. Captain Shields, as the ranking officer, you'll be in charge of the military personnel." He nodded to Chad. "Of course, Flight Lieutenant. Dismissed."

Valerie Soames called up Mrs. Delores Fowler up in Norwich, which was not far from Dunwich. "Yes, dear, I can arrange a little something," she said. "It so happens that there's an author named Virgil Soames living in Dunwich. You can pretend you're on your way there to see him because you believe he might be related to your late husband. For all we know, he may very well be. Your young friend can call himself Soames as well. He can be your nephew from your husband's side of the family."

Raymond was able to pick up a standard Browning Hi-Power pistol and a few 9mm magazines for it from the Quartermaster. It was small and concealable, though it had limited stopping power. Leonek acquired a regional map that would allow him to plan a route from Halesworth to Dunwich, but they didn't have any street maps of Dunwich itself.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jimacol
Layman
Layman

Post by jimacol »

Elliot heads to his quarters to pack his gear, including his usual "tools". He also heads to the armoury to request a small, concealable pistol. He has had firearms training from UNIT, though has never actually had to use a gun in the field (and hopes never to).
Mr Handy,Elliot's 'tools' are naturally his burglary kit. Includes lockpicks, torch, gloves, small grappling hook, crowbar etc. Also has a set of black clothing including balaclava and good shoes for climbing. Could you add these, the gun, and other everyday items to his equipment, or shall I do it?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elliot was also issued a Browning Hi-Power pistol along with a few magazines, and the Quartermaster had no problems fulfilling the rest of his requests. Elliot also received a rope to go with the grappling hook and a backpack in which to carry everything.
Elliot Webb,Only I can edit your character sheet, since I'm the one who originally posted it, so I added everything.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept

Post by DetectiveSocks »

With a sense of urgency and mission to carry out, Salem understood the gravity of the situation and what was needed of him. However, Salem felt somewhat uneasy as he has never commanded anybody under him, Salem was more interested in helping people with his understandings of Medicine and his love for studying the physiology, anatomy, behaviour and origin of organisms. But it was Salem's responsibility that the mission would go through swiftly and to bring everybody back home safe.

Salem unfortunately has never heard of Dunwich as he recalls, but needed to make a request to acquire some medical equipments he needed such as some basic first aid, a few medicines, plenty amounts of disposable gloves, a forensic kit to examine a scene, and perhaps even a small lab set to conduct his investigations. Salem wasn't quite sure if he would need a small lab as it could depend on the length of the mission, Salem could simply procure them from Dunwich though that could raise some suspicions. With a small lab set, Salem could develop a vaccine to isolate the pathogens that plagued Simon Armistead and even prevent or at least delay it's progress from happening to his team.

Salem has also made the request of a pistol, the thought of having a sidearm made the insides of Salem cringe but he knew full well of what was expected of him and hopefully won't have to use it. As the request was being prepared, Salem donned his civilian appearance including his satchel and took his zippo from the drawer of his office desk and tucked it in his back pocket, Salem doesn't smoke but he got it as a present from his twin-brother Isaac.
The other children cheered him on. His name voiced in a steadily rising pace, urging him to do it. “Am I really doing this?”, the young boy thought and struck his victim with a rock.
markh
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by markh »

Valerie finds Elliot shortly after their visit to the quartermaster. She is packing a small wooden box containing several vials, droppers, and a syringe. "So, troublesome nephew, time for Auntie Val's lecture on our cover story, seeing as you're to be a Soames.
"It won't stand up to a proper background check, but we're off to see a local author called Virgil Soames, on the pretext of research into the Soames family tree. In fact, I rather hope he's not the right Soames at all, because he might know enough to trouble our cover.
"The best covers are simple ones - don't deviate too much from real life, use a name and details you can remember. So, you're Elliot Soames, my nephew." Valerie pauses, with a wistful look in her eye."The late Mr Soames, bless him, had a younger brother who was lost serving in Malasia. In truth, his wife remarried a slightly pudgy accountant from Ilkley, but for the purposes of this cover she passed when you were very young.
"So, we've not had much contact due to the tragic circumstances of your early life - that saves us spending the next week memorising details of each other's lives - but we're recently back in contact. We'll chat about a few minor details on this plane ride - it'll take my mind off it."
Valerie gives Elliot a queasy look, "Do you know, I trained to jump out one of those damn things into France, but I was young and stupid then. Now if you put me in one for more than half an hour I'm clutching for the sick bag."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Salem was able to acquire a medical kit, forensic kit, and a small portable pathology lab, as well as another Browning and some ammo for it without any dificulty. While portable, the lab was still pretty bulky and heavy, so it would probably need to stay in the Land Rover when not in use.
OOC,You'll be flying in a helicopter rather than an airplane. Is there anything else anyone wants to do before the flight?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years

Post by CrackheadC. »

As everyone finishes prepping for the mission Raymond fills in those who are interested in what he recalled of Dunwich, "That Beth Armistead wrote a pretty detailed book on Dunwich about thirty years back. I must have read it while working at one of the University labs." He continued, "Apparently Dunwich was quite a big city in England during the Middle Ages. It was in a slow decline though as the sea started to encroach on the land and swallow it up. During dubya-dubya two, I heard the Brits used it as a radar installation."

Raymond
finished up, "The book talked about how Dunwich only had a few hundred people living there. I can't imagine it is more than three hundred now. The city is pretty well known for its churches, but most of them sank. Now there is only one church left and the only other notable landmark is the Greyfriar's Abbey - some old Franciscan monastery."

After the last of his prep-work, but before they lifted off Raymond stopped to have a word with Salem, "Don't sweat the investigation too much. I've done things like this before so I can handle that end just fine. You just keep on top of basic security and we will all be in and out of there in a few days. This is England after all, it isn't a war-zone." Raymond does his best to look reassuring and gets ready to board the helicopter.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Just before they go, Tobias heads to the nearest public pay phone and sends a telegram. "Poor old Mum, always worries." He says to anyone who sees him.
Mr. Handy,"Proceeding to Dunwich stop routine investigation stop may have interesting results stop Maddox"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,If there's anything anyone wants to do before the flight, I'm planning to move things forward on Saturday, so please post before then.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SSior.27
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SSior.27 »

Chad makes sure the craft is up to par and free of anything which will lead to any unforeseen complications. He also makes sure it's fully fueled. "No sense in only getting there," he tells the ground crew. "We need to get back to report what we find."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Chad checked out the large transport helicopter thoroughly. It was fully fueled and in excellent condition. It had seats for a pilot and co-pilot (though he was plenty capable of flying it himself) as well as room in the main compartment for up to ten passengers.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Episode 1”