IC-Ep 1-Holiday on the Beach(Story/Elizabeth/Lucius/Brook)

New UNIT Scientific Advisor Dr. Valerie Kirby has mysteriously disappeared during routine inquiries in Dunwich, and a team from UNIT has been hastily assembled to go to Dunwich in order to find her and bring her back. Meanwhile, Story and his companions materialize in Dunwich and begin to explore.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: IC-Ep 1-Holiday on the Beach(Story/Elizabeth/Lucius/Broo

Post by Mr. Handy »

When Story and his companions exited the TARDIS, they saw that the beach stretched off in the distance to the left and the right. In the distance to the right, cliffs rose up. Well off to the left, there was a café on the beach. Behind the TARDIS was a sign that said: "WARNING: Dangerous Undercurrents." Further back, a village was visible. It was mostly composed of English-style cottages that would look at home in the twentieth or twenty-first century.

Lucius spat out the water almost immediately, as it proved to be quite salty. The water was also fairly warm.
OOC,Everyone, please roll Spot Hidden to see what else you notice.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Post by jaysun81 »

As soon as everyone exits the TARDIS Story closes and locks the door. While standing at the TARDIS door he takes a deep breath and looks around smiling at the seemingly peaceful situation they find themselves in for once.
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3735481/]Spot Hidden - 28% (1d100=7)[/url]
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Story,[b]Story[/b] could see a few people sitting around tables and eating at the café up the beach to the left. Off to the right was a tall man who looked to be about fifty, wearing a mackintosh and a fisherman's hat. He was walking up the beach in their direction, but his gaze was focused on the ground. He carried a metal detector which he was running over the sand. But [b]Story[/b] saw the most interesting things when he looked out to sea. A few fishing boats were out on the water, but what really grabbed his attention was beneath the surface. The outlines of submerged buildings were visible to him on the sea bed, and they looked vaguely medieval. There seemed to be a disproprtionate number of churches among them judging from the spires. There was also something else under the water, well off shore. Its form was vague and indistinct, and it was about eight or nine feet long. It might have been a large fish, but he couldn't be certain. It seemed to be watching them.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by yockenthwaite »

OOC pass roll,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3735726/]Rolling Spot Hidden (stat 38%) as leave TARDIS for first time (1d100=17)[/url]
Thorn
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by Thorn »

(Please roll for me)
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

Spot Hidden - Success,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3738056/]Spot Hidden (57%) (1d100=28)[/url]
Lucius spat out the water and wiped his mouth on his sleeve. "Warm salt water, could be the Mediterrenean, or the Atlantic Ocean." He looked at the dwellings in the distance and furrowed his brow, "Not a style of house in which I am familiar. And..." he pointed to the sign, "... the painted warning behind the TARDIS written on a metal board. Beyond my time frame."
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple

Post by jaysun81 »

As Story looked out to sea with a note of concern he says to himself "Hmmm...I wonder whatever that could be." Pushing the concern away he turns to Elizabeth. "I see what appears to be a submerged city, possibly medieval, with a large amount of...churches. Assuming the spires designate them as such. Any ideas?"
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Brook took a look around but could not see the submerged buildings, though Elizabeth and Lucius were able to see them, and they matched Story's description. All of them could see a few people sitting around tables and eating at the café up the beach to the left. Off to the right was a tall man who looked to be about fifty, wearing a mackintosh and a fisherman's hat. He was walking up the beach in their direction, but his gaze was focused on the ground. He carried a metal detector which he was running over the sand. A few fishing boats were out on the water.
OOC,All of you except [b]Lucius[/b] may roll History. Also, are you carrying the fire extinguishers, or did you leave them in the TARDIS?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

Elizabeth nods, looking out to sea. "I think we might be looking out at Dunwich, a submerged medieval city off the Suffolk coast in eastern England. In which case that's the North Sea out there. And those remains have been under the water for a long time. Quite stunning."
OOC,Assumed my character recognises it, as a historian/archaeologist with an easy history roll pass. She's left her fire extinguisher in the TARDIS.
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple

Post by jaysun81 »

OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3739391/]History - 48% (1d100=38)[/url]
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

ooc,Lucius had left the fire extinguisher in the TARDIS as well. And if the alien weapon was not small enough to fit in his pocket, he'd leave that in the TARDIS also.
Lucius tilted his head as he looked out at the submerged city. "Did the waters rise? Or ... did the city fall?" he asked Elizabeth who seemed to know more about the strange city under the water. He saw the man approaching, sweeping some strange object over the sand - hovering an inch or so above - and couldn't help but wonder what he was up to as well. Lucius followed the man's movements with his eyes out of curiousity.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Brook didn't know anything about Dunwich, but she figured that Elizabeth would know. Story had heard of Dunwich before, though he had never visited it in his travels, and he realized that Elizabeth's conclusion was no doubt correct. It was the one place on Earth that fit with what they saw.
OOC,I took the liberty of rolling for [b]Brook[/b], since that's normally what I do anyway. [b]Lucius[/b] actually has a small aerosol spray can rather than an extinguisher, but it's too big to fit in his pocket, so it stays in the TARDIS. The alien weapon is small enough to fit, so he has it on him. [b]Elizabeth[/b], with such a good success, you know a lot about Dunwich's history. I'll fill you in from time to time on any relevant details that you know as appropriate, as there's too much to present everything here. Other than that, you can assume that anything you know (or look up) about Dunwich, you know in character as well.
Elizabeth Young,[b]Elizabeth[/b] had actually read a book about Dunwich shortly before she had joined the TARDIS crew. It was called "Dunwich: The Drowned City," and it had just been published in early 1955, the year from which she came. Its author was [b]Beth Armistead[/b], an historian from London who had written an extensive, well-researched history of the town from its heyday in the Middle Ages through World War Two, when a radar (or RDF as it had been called at the time) station had been operating there. Once the tenth largest city in England and home to numerous churches, the North Sea had gradually encroached upon Dunwich over the centuries until it was left a shadow of its former self. It had been a rotten borough until 1832, when its Parliamentary seat was finally abolished. Though it remained officially a township, Dunwich was little more than a village by her time with only one church still left on dry land. There were also the ruins of Greyfriars Abbey that still stood perched on the edge of the cliffs a ways to the south, and she was even able to make them out from where she stood.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Thorn
Adept
Adept

Post by Thorn »

Brook looks out to the sea where they're pointing. "Suffolk, huh? Never heard about Dunwich...But I'm from London. And haven't been to school in a while." She looks up the beach towards the restaurant and the man with the metal detector. "Cool, a coffee shop! I'm dying for a smoothie."

(I'm very happy to have you do all my rolls, Mr. Handy :) )
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

"It's probably not that well-known outside history circles," says Elizabeth to Brook, "but Dunwich was a hugely important city in medieval England, one of the most populous. But it fell victim to the sea, particularly a series of violent storms, over a number of centuries, and that's what we're seeing out there."

She turns round slowly on the spot and spots the ruins of the abbey. "Look," she says, pointing to the south, "there are the remains of Greyfriars Abbey, still standing. Other churches are under the water."
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"Storms... one would think that erosion of this magnitude would cause the buildings to collapse. There must have been some subterrenean collapse or a large mud slide," Lucius tried to work out aloud. To Brook, he asked, "What's a smoothie?"
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple

Post by jaysun81 »

Looks at Brook. "If you have the needed money go and purchase a smoothie." Smiles at her before looking back out to the submerged city. "Elizabeth, why was there so many churches? Why not just build a massive cathedral for the masses to worship in?" Glances over at the man with the metal detector than back to the water.
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

"Good question," says Elizabeth to Story, "and I'm not sure I really know the answer. Except some of the churches were from different dates, especially as the various churches were lost to the sea over the centuries and the people would have had to switch to still-standing buildings."

She, too, looks at the man with a metal detector. "I wonder what he is looking for? Should we go and say hello?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elizabeth Young,One church, St. James, still stands and operates, though it is not visible from here. It was built in 1832, well inland to keep it from being swallowed by the sea as the other churches were. Greyfriars Abbey is in ruins and is not currently in use. Its position is precarious, and it will probably fall into the sea one day as well. Some of the buildings under the water have collapsed, but others are of sturdier construction and are relatively intact.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Thorn
Adept
Adept

Post by Thorn »

Brook looks to Lucius and answers his question: "It's a fruit drink. Kinda like juice, only with different fruit, and maybe other stuff mixed in." She checks her purse to see if she's got any cash, then smiles at the others before heading up towards the café. "I'll see if I can find a newspaper, check the date."
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Lucius said to Brook as she started heading off, "Hold up a moment. I will join you." He said to Story, "I was never a fan of letting one person wander off alone."

Return to “Episode 1”