Page 1 of 1

IC-Ep 1-Ghostwriter(Story/Elizabeth/Lucius/Brook/Val/Elliot)

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:58 am
by Mr. Handy

Priory Cottage - Dunwich, England
10:55 AM - Thursday, September 5, 1985

Story, Elizabeth Young, Lucius Verres, and Brook Davies walked down Monastery Hill from the northeast. They came to the ruins of Greyfirars, the old medieval priory perched on the edge of a cliff. One day it too would plunge from the cliff and into the sea, but for now it stood. The arched gate was blocked off, but this was not their destination anyway. Across the street was the Priory Cottage that they sought. As they approached, an old black Model T Ford came up the road from the southwest and parked outside the cottage. It was driven by an old woman who looked to be in her sixties, and a young man was seated beside her. The chariot looked to Lucius more like the ones he had seen in 1930, not the sleeker models he had seen so far in Dunwich.

Valerie Soames observed the group of people hiking down the road as she parked the car outside the Priory Cottage. "Here we are, young Elliot," she said to her passenger.

Re: IC-Ep 1-Ghostwriter(Story/Elizabeth/Lucius/Brook/Val/Ell

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:32 pm
by Thorn
Brook looks curiously at the old car. "Looks like we're not the only ones visiting. Wonder who they are? Family? Didn't the girl at the inn say something about his family?"

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:11 pm
by yockenthwaite
"Yes she did, and not very nice things either," says Elizabeth. "It was probably scaremongering, if Lucius's suspicions are correct. Shall we introduce ourselves?"

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:25 pm
by ImpInTraining
Lucius was more interested in the archway. It's architecture was a bit different from what the Roman styles he was familiar with, but it was more closely resembling than the newer buildings and their square doorways everywhere. He was only half-paying attention to what the others were discussing, following along behind as he continued to marvel at the old archway.

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:10 am
by jaysun81
As they are walking he looks at Elizabeth. "Well, we have nothing to lose. They don't know us, and as far as they are concerned we don't know the seedy reputation of the family." Looks ahead at the old Model T as he continues to walk towards the cottage.

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:21 am
by Mr. Handy
The old woman and the young man got out of the Model T as Story and his companions also approached the single-story cottage. She turned to face them with a smile. "Good morning," she said.

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:53 pm
by jaysun81
As they approach Story looks at Brook and winks before turning back to address the elder lady. "What do you mean? Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?" Flashes a big toothy smile at the lady.

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:39 pm
by Mr. Handy
The old woman smiled back. "All of those at once, I suppose," she said, extending her hand. "My name is Valerie Soames, and this is my nephew Elliot. Whom do I have the pleasure of addressing?"

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:02 pm
by Thorn
Brook smiles a little and waves, but waits for Story to answer the lady first. She's in her mid-teens, dressed in a black, kinda gothstyle dress, stockings and boots, has dark hair and a pale complexion.

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:51 pm
by ImpInTraining
With the introduction of the lady at hand, Lucius has turned his attention to the conversation and stood there with his hands clasped behind his back. He looked at Valerie and Elliot as he musted as charming a smile as he could manage. He saw Brook look toward Story for introductions on their behalf, and he opted to do the same.

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:24 pm
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth waits for Story to respond, and looks at the lady and her nephew with interest.

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:05 pm
by jaysun81
Story reaches for the lady's hand and instead of shaking it chooses to gently kiss the back of it. "It's a pleasure to meet you Ms. Soames." Nods at Elliot. "And your nephew." Flashes a brief smile. "I'm Prof. Story and these are my three associates...Brook, Elizabeth, and Lucius. We're looking for the residence of the local author Mr. Virgil..." Pauses as he realizes the lady shares the same last name as the man they seek. "Soames."

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:52 am
by Thorn
Brook nods. "How do you do?"

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:05 pm
by ImpInTraining
Lucius kicks his heels together where he stands and bows slightly with a smile as he is introduced.

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:26 am
by Mr. Handy
"You're quite the gentleman," said Valerie to Story. "I'm pleased to meet you and your friends. I believe this is the cottage of Virgil Soames. I'm not related to him by blood, but perhaps I am by marriage. That's what I'm here to find out. It's possible that he is a relative of my late husband. So, what brings you here?"

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:56 am
by yockenthwaite
"We're interested in tales of old Dunwich," says Elizabeth, "and believe Mr Soames has written some interesting books on this. We'd love a chance to speak to him, so thought we'd come over and see if he was in."

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:08 pm
by jaysun81
Story nods in agreement with what Elizabeth is saying. "Indeed. However, we don't wish to step on your toes. After all, you were in fact here before us." Smiles at Valerie.

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:18 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Oh, that does sound interesting," said Valerie. "I certainly wouldn't mind learning more about Dunwich, past and present. If you don't mind listening to us discuss family history, and Mr. Soames doesn't mind receiving so many visitors at once - and if he's in - I don't see why anyone needs to wait. Shall we knock?"

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:20 am
by yockenthwaite
"Oh yes please, go ahead," says Elizabeth, nodding to Valerie.

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:38 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Thank you, my dear," said Valerie. She rapped smartly on the front door.

After a brief wait, it was opened by a tall man with dark hair and a beard, about forty years old. An adorable cat, its fur as black as pitch, poked its head out between his legs and rubbed against them, purring gently. "Hello," he said, surveying the people assembled outside his house. "What brings such a large group of visitors to me this morning?"

"We're two groups, actually," said Valerie. "We just happened to arrive at the same time by coincidence. Are you Virgil Soames, the author?"

"I am he. Though I think you will find that there are no such things as coincidences. Everything happens for a reason. And who might you be?"

"Mrs. Valerie Soames." Virgil raised an eyebrow when she mentioned the name. She indicated the young man beside her. "And this is my nephew, Elliot. Funny that you mentioned that about coincidences, considering our names. I've been doing a spot of genealogy, and it seems that you may be a relative of my late husband, God rest his soul. I'll allow Professor Story to introduce himself and his friends."

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:56 am
by jaysun81
Story looks at Mr. Soames, "I'm Prof. Story and these are my associates...Elizabeth, Brook, and Lucius. We're here to not only meet you but hear what you have to say about old Dunwich." Smiles.

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:20 am
by Mr. Handy
"Pleased to meet you all," said Virgil Soames. He gestured to the cat at his feet. "And this is my friend, Midnight."

"Mrow," replied the cat in response to his name.

Virgil stepped back from the door and to one side, Midnight following him. He spread his arm out to indicate the cottage's interior. "Won't you come in? It may get a bit crowded, but I think I can accomodate everyone. Shall I put on some tea?"

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:50 am
by yockenthwaite
"Some tea would be lovely," says Elizabeth, smiling. "Thank you for making us so welcome."

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:44 pm
by Thorn
"Thank you," Brook smiles, and bends down to pet the cat before entering.

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:29 am
by Mr. Handy
Midnight purred contentedly when Brook stroked his fur. He followed her inside. The rest of the group entered the cottage as well.

"You're quite welcome," said Virgil Soames. He led everyone through his living room, which had a good deal of antique furniture, including a sofa and two armchairs. There were also a television set and a phonograph, the latter of which was next to a shelf containing several records. The dining room was beyond an arch at the far side of the living room and contained a long oak table with six chairs, two at the ends and two on each side. A door beyond that led to the kitchen. "Please, sit and make yourselves at home. I'll go prepare the tea." Virgil headed to the kitchen.

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:40 am
by Thorn
Brook takes a seat at the dining table, and pats her lap for the cat to jump up to her. Looking around the dining room curiously, she scratches Midnight's ears, then turns towards the kitchen. "Need a hand?" she asks, just because it was usually expected that the youngest lend a hand.

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:10 pm
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth sits down at the dining table too, and looks around her with interest.

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:50 pm
by jaysun81
Story looked around as he entered, taking note of the phonograph he said to no one in particular. "Ah, a phonograph...very nice." He follows the group to the table and takes a seat. Upon hearing Brook ask if Mr. Soames needs assistance he smiles to himself; feeling proud to have such companions so eager to assist in even with simple tasks which are often taking for granted.

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:49 am
by Mr. Handy
Midnight didn't hesitate to jump onto Brook's lap. He rubbed his head against her arm.

"Thank you, Miss," said Virgil. "i'd be glad to have some help."

"I can assist too," said Valerie. "I'm an old hand at making tea."

"And my thanks to you as well." Virgil led Valerie into the kitchen, while Elliot sat down at the table with Story and his companions.

The dining room contained more antique furniture. Aside from the table and chairs, there were a credenza and a sideboard, both made of mahogany with decorative inlays. A bronze chandelier hung from the ceiling above the center of the table, but it was not lit.

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:11 pm
by ImpInTraining
Lucius remained silent, offering a friendly smile when he was regarded in introduction or should anyone look his way... but he chose to remain quiet and observant. He took in the atmosphere of the man's house quickly before moving toward one of his windows to keep a look out for other 'visitors' that might be looking to intercept Story and his crew.

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:20 pm
by Thorn
Brook lets the cat down from her lap again, and heads into the kitchen to help.

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy
Midnight jumped off of Brook's lap and followed her into the kitchen, where Virgil and Valerie were starting to prepare tea using an old brass kettle on an antique stove. The appliances here looked Victorian, much like most of the house's furnishings, except for a more modern refrigerator, which hadn't existed in those times.

"So, Mrs. Soames," said Virgil, "how did you hear of me?"

"Through a friend, Dr. Valerie Kirby," said Valerie. "She telephoned me from Dunwich and mentioned that there was a writer here named Soames."

"Ah, yes. I met her on Tuesday night when she visited me. She stayed here for dinner, and we had a lengthy conversation. Quite a lovely lady. Remarkable that you both have the same name. Also not a coincidence, I'm sure."

Lucius kept an eye out through the window, but there was no traffic on the road outside and nobody was visible in his field of view.

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:18 pm
by ImpInTraining
Lucius kept his ears on what conversation he could hear, but his eyes hardly strayed from their task of scanning outside. He would occasionally change windows for a different vantage point.

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:54 am
by jaysun81
Story stands up and walks over to Lucius. Looking out the window he asks "What are you thinking my friend?"

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:18 am
by Thorn
Brook tries to make herself useful, although the other two seem to know their way around the kitchen much better than her. She half listens to the conversation while searching for cups and sugar. "What kind of books do you write, Mr. Soames?"

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:03 pm
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth looks over at Lucius curiously, then turns her attention back to the conversation around her, happy to listen quietly for now.

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:28 am
by Mr. Handy
"I write books about the history of Dunwich, Miss," said Virgil Soames, "mostly focusing on myths and legends."

"Oh, how exciting!" said Valerie. "Is that what you and young Val discussed."

"In part, yes."

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:32 am
by ImpInTraining
Lucius says to Story, "Someone doesn't want this fellow to have visitors. That person, or people... whatever the case... will either come here to confront Mr. Soames, or attempt to stop us from seeing him - not knowing they are too late. Worst case situation, they will realize we're already in here and try to silence the lot of us." He looked to the man and said, "I'm just not interested in being caught off guard." He looked back out the window and suggested, "Why don't you try to find out what you can from our host. Obviously there is some sort of puzzle to work out here. I'll let you know if someone comes."

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:23 pm
by jaysun81
"Very well." As Story begins to walk away he stops and turns towards Lucius once more. "Try to be a little more casual in your surveillance. You don't want to freak out our host or the others guests." Smiles and returns to his seat at the table. Looking at Elliot he says, "So tell me Elliot has either yourself or your aunt read any of the books by our host?"

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:22 am
by Mr. Handy
"No, we haven't," said Elliot. "We only just found out about him a couple of days ago. Why are you expecting trouble? What do you mean, someone doesn't want Soames to have visitors?"

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:44 am
by jaysun81
"Trouble? No. Don't mind Lucius, he's Roman." Looks over at Lucius before turning his attention back on the boy. "As far as Mr. Soames having visitors...well, we're all here aren't we?" Smiles.

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:03 am
by yockenthwaite
"So what sort of stories have you uncovered about Dunwich, Mr Soames?" asks Elizabeth, trying to subtly turn the conversation back on track. "We are hoping to go to the museum while here but have you found out other things that they don't concentrate on?"

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:20 am
by Mr. Handy
"Ah, the museum is a wonderful place, Miss," said Virgil Soames from the kitchen, walking back to the doorway to the dining room after putting the kettle on the stove. "I've done some of my research there to get the historical details right. But the museum focuses mainly on known, provable facts about Dunwich. I like to write about things which cannot be proven. Many of them are probably untrue, though still interesting. There is no doubt a kernel of truth behind some of the old legends. The trick is telling the difference between the two. My family has lived in Dunwich for centuries, and a lot of things get passed down."

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:46 am
by yockenthwaite
"That sounds fascinating," says Elizabeth, smiling broadly. "I'd love to know more about the legends you've discovered. Any particularly good stories there?"

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:54 am
by Mr. Handy
"More than I'll ever have time to write about," said Virgil, smiling wistfully. "Dunwich was once a large, burgeoning city, until the sea claimed most of it. Now it is but a shadow of its former self, but in that shadow we can see hints of what originally cast it. One particularly fascinating legend is the tale of a flawless sapphire known as 'The Eye of Hydra.' The gem's origins are shrouded in the mists of history, but it is said to have come from Greece, dating back to ancient times. It is reputed to have mystical powers that can give its possessor control over the element of water, but at an unknown and terrible cost. A knight from Dunwich rode through Greece on his way to the one of the crusades and managed to find the gemstone, which he brought back with him upon his return to Dunwich. It was buried with him upon his death, in the crypt of one of the many churches this town used to possess. Whatever the stone's powers, they did not keep the encroaching sea at bay. That church is now underwater, the sapphire still sealed away and awaiting discovery. Or so the legend goes."

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:10 am
by jaysun81
Speaking up so that Virgil can hear him Story says, "Mr. Soames, when we first arrived we spent a few minutes down on the beach. While we were hanging about I took some time to look out across the water. As I was doing so I noticed something in the water well off shore. It was vague and indistinct but it was easily eight or nine feet long. Truth be told I got the strangest feeling that it saw my associates and I and was actually watching us. So I'm curious, based on your knowledge of local folk lore and legends does this sound familiar?"

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:38 am
by Mr. Handy
"Yes, I have heard of sightings of strange...large fish in the water offshore," replied Virgil. "I've never seen them myself, but my brother did, and some of the other locals have as well. Mainly the fishermen, as they spend more time offshore. That's probably why people don't go swimming much here. Most of the sightings aren't of fish that big. They're usually reported as being six or seven feet long."
OOC,Everyone may roll Psychology (or Insight in the case of [b]Lucius[/b]).

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:00 am
by yockenthwaite
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3884178/]Rolling Psychology (stat 41%) as Virgil Soames speaks about the sea creatures (1d100=52)[/url]

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:00 am
by Thorn
(Could someone roll for me, please?)

Brook smiles a bit. "Shrieking eels?"

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:42 am
by jaysun81
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3885176/]Psychology - 90% (1d100=29)[/url]

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy
Brook picked nothing up about Virgil's tales that wasn't obvious.

"No, Miss, from the descriptions of the sightings these creatures are too wide to have been eels," said Virgil.
Story,[b]Story[/b] could tell that [b]Virgil[/b] coveted the gem he had spoken of, that he felt sorrow when he spoke of his brother, and that he hadn't told all he knew of the sea creatures.

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:24 pm
by jaysun81
Strokes his chin and asks, "Has anyone ever mounted an expedition to not only recover the gem but to also...bag and tag one of these Dunwich sea creatures? Wait a second," Stands up and walks to the kitchen area "you said your brother saw one?"

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:10 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Yes, my brother Edward had seen them before, though not up close," said Virgil. "No fisherman has caught one of them, though occasionally they will tell a tale of one that got away. The creature gets larger each time they tell it, of course," he adds with a smirk. "They could be sharks, I suppose - there have been confirmed shark sightings in these waters - but from what I've heard they seem more...intelligent. Nobody has yet launched an expedition to recover the gem. It isn't down all that far, so not much would be needed in the way of diving gear. I think I may be the only one who has deduced in which church it lies hidden and discovered the name of the knight, though I did entrust this information to Dr. Kirby when I spoke to her."

The teakettle whistled in the kitchen, and Valerie Soames turned off the burner and filled the pot. "Did she go looking for the gem?" she asked from the kitchen.

"She told me she planned to go diving for it the following morning. That would have been yesterday. But I haven't heard from her."

"Valerie is a good swimmer." Mrs. Soames helped Brook bring the tea tray into the dining room. Midnight followed them back. Virgil stepped aside as they passed, and they set the tray down on the table. Valerie began pouring the tea into cups. "Still, I'm worried about her. I haven't heard from her either since two days ago, and I'm sure she would have telephoned. Hearing about these sea creatures is alarming. Could something have happened to her when she went diving for the gem?"

Virgil looked concerned. "I sincerely hope not, but I cannot discount the possibility."

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:48 pm
by ImpInTraining
Ever attentive, Lucius did pick up something as he listened passively to the conversation.
Insight - success!,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3888856/]Insight (63%) (1d100=14)[/url]
Meanwhile, he maintained his post near the windows, trying to look casual as he kept a sharp eye out for other visitors outside.

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:31 pm
by Mr. Handy
Elliot paid close attention to Virgil, but he couldn't quite read the man. He was a closed book to Valerie Soames as well.
Lucius Verres,[b]Lucius[/b] could tell that [b]Virgil[/b] coveted the gem he had spoken of, that he felt sorrow when he spoke of his brother, and that he hadn't told all he knew of the sea creatures. He did seem genuinely concerned about [b]Valerie Kirby[/b], though he was still desirous of the sapphire.
Story,[b]Virgil[/b] did seem genuinely concerned about [b]Valerie Kirby[/b], though he was still desirous of the sapphire. There was still more he hadn't said about the sea creatures.

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:31 pm
by yockenthwaite
"Where was Valerie staying?" asks Elizabeth. "Could we possibly try to call on her to check that she is ok?"

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:10 am
by Mr. Handy
"Thank you, dearie," said Valerie Soames. "She's staying at the Ship Inn."

Virgil nodded. "It is the only inn in Dunwich," he added. "She'd have to be staying there."

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:29 pm
by jaysun81
"Intelligence you say? Hmmm...interesting, most interesting. I wonder if these intelligent sea creatures are somehow linked to the sapphire." Scratches his head. "Tell me, does your brother reside here in town? I would very much like to speak with him about his sighting of these sea creatures. Perhaps he can provide some more information on what exactly he saw."

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:11 am
by Mr. Handy
"If you want to speak to my brother Edward," said Virgil in a dry tone, "I would need to dim the lights and get some candles out. He's been dead for quite some time."

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:28 am
by jaysun81
"Ah..." Looks at Virgil. "I'm sorry to hear that."

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:42 am
by Mr. Handy
"Thank you," said Virgil. "It was fifteen years ago. My brother and I were very close, and he was the only family I had left." He turned to examine Valerie and Elliot. "Although, perhaps that's not entirely true any more. I don't see any resemblance, though Mrs. Soames would only be related by marriage."

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:02 pm
by ImpInTraining
Questions,1 - So if this gem dated back to Greece, there wasn't much time between Greece and Rome, right? Any chance Lucius might have heard about the Eye of the Hydra in common-day conversations back then? 2 - are there more than one Valerie in this story? I'm getting a little confused there...
Lucius wondered about this man Virgil and what he was witholding from them about the sea creatures. He imagined pressing the subject would be fruitless. However, he might be able to work the conversation around. From his place near the window, he asked Virgil pointedly, "Would it be possible we could speak with your brother about the sea creatures?" Lucius guessed he already knew the answer would be no... but he wanted to know why.

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:21 am
by Mr. Handy
"Alas, I cannot really summon the spirits of the dead," said Virgil, "in spite of all the talk being bandied about Dunwich regarding me. That was merely an attempt at humour."

"Was your brother a writer as well?" asked Valerie Soames.

"He was not as prolific as I am, but he had a talent for writing and has done his share."

"Did he happen to keep a diary?"

"He did, as a matter of fact. Unfortunately, I loaned it to Dr. Kirby the evening she visited me."
OOC,He never said when in Greece the gem was from, but the Crusades were well after [b]Lucius[/b]'s time. The gem is older than that, but it certainly wouldn't be part of everyday conversation, and it's not something he'd have heard about. But if you make an Occult roll, it may give you some ideas (in fact, you may all roll Occult). Yes, there are two characters named [b]Valerie[/b]. You haven't met [b]Dr. Valerie Kirby[/b] yet, but you've heard about her here from [b]Valerie Soames[/b], the old lady. It wasn't intentional that they'd both have the same name; her player just happened to choose the same first name.

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:40 am
by yockenthwaite
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3899993/]Rolling Occult (stat 5%) re the gem of wotsit (1d100=7)[/url]

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:12 pm
by jaysun81
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3900495/]Occult - 20% (1d100=92)[/url]

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:55 pm
by ImpInTraining
Occult - Fail,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3900520/]Occult (15%) (1d100=49)[/url]
ooc,The way he responded - seems like I might have missed where he said his brother died, but I looked back twice and didn't see anything regarding that.
Lucius found Virgil's comment about speaking with the dead curious, but he tucked it away for now. "I'm sorry..." he responded feeling a little awkward. "I was not aware your brother had passed. Did he meet his fate with these strange sea creatures you mentioned?"

He took another glance outside.

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:56 pm
by Mr. Handy
Outside the window, nothing had changed and everything seemed peaceful.

Something about the Eye of Hydra rang a bell with Brook, but she couldn't quite place it. It went right over Elliot and Valerie's heads.

"I did mention it," said Virgil. "I don't know exactly how he died, as I wasn't there, but his mangled body was found on the shore. I'm certain he was lynched. Considering the state he was in, it could have been the creatures."
Elizabeth Young/Brook Davies,[b]Elizabeth[/b] and [b]Brook[/b] recalled that Hydra was mentioned somewhere in Greek mythology, but they did not know the precise details.
OOC,[b]Virgil[/b] mentions his brother's death in the next to last post on the previous page. He starts by making a reference to things he'd have to do to hold a séance, though [b]Lucius[/b] would not have recognized that either. He did, however, explicitly mention that his brother has been dead for quite some time right after that.

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:31 pm
by Thorn
Brook ponders. "Hydra......Greek, ain't it? Something from Greek mythology, like Hercules and that god of the dead that look like James Woods."

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:55 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Yes, that's not far off the mark," said Virgil. "One of the many feats of Hercules was to slay the many-headed Hydra. Every time he cut off one of its heads, however, two of them grew back. As strong as he was, he had to use his brain to defeat the beast. He figured out that after decapitating one of its heads, he could quickly cauterise the wound with a firebrand and prevent new heads from sprouting. Once he did this with all the heads, the Hydra was slain for good."

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:08 am
by yockenthwaite
"It seems remarkable that such an important artefact could have found its way to Dunwich," says Elizabeth. "And so sad for it to be lost under the water."

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:41 am
by Mr. Handy
"Well, Dunwich was a major city during the Crusades," said Virgil, "so it is not surprising that crusaders came from here, nor should it be odd that one of them would plunder a valuable gem and bring it home. But, you're right, it is remarkable that something so priceless is right under our noses, and sad that it has remained buried for centuries. It is not quite correct to say that the Eye of Hydra is lost, however. I know precisely where it is. The difficulty lies in retrieving it."

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:51 pm
by ImpInTraining
Mangled body... lynched... Lucius had some other guesses about who might be responsible. Regarding the brother's death, the Roman said "Forgive me, I was distracted earlier." He glanced outside again. One might think he was expecting company, or very paranoid. Looking back to their host, he went on to ask "Tell me, Mr. Sommes... did the townsfolk also have ill-feelings against your brother?"

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:30 am
by Mr. Handy
"You might say that, yes," said Virgil. If he noticed that Lucius was paying undue attention to the window, he didn't show it. "He was accused of killing old Josiah Lake. Many here in Dunwich admired Captain Lake, and our family were the only real enemies he had left. To be honest, I believe Edward did kill him, but he should have had a chance to defend himself in court." He sighed. "The feud between our families dates back to 1945. After the war, Captain Lake returned to Dunwich a hero. He immediately started taking full advantage of it, throwing money around with abandon to win the support of the prominent people in the area. He was suddenly flush with gold, and nobody knew for sure where he got it, though the most likely possibility is that he looted it from the Japanese. My father, Edward Soames, Sr., led the opposition to Lake. He was a man of high moral character, and he could not countenance bribery or corruption."

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:57 pm
by ImpInTraining
"Captain Josiah Lake," Lucius repeated to dedicate it to memory. Looking to Story, the Roman stated, "I believe that is where we will find more answers about this situation. I think perhaps the villagers maintain a loyalty to the deceased war hero - for unexplained reasons. We can verify this if we look into Captain Lake's life, maybe explore his estate if at all possible."

He asked Virgil, "I presume Captain Lake was buried in a nearby cemetary?"

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:53 pm
by jaysun81
Story nods at Lucius and says, "Excellent idea."

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:56 am
by Mr. Handy
"Captain Lake was buried in the cemetery at St. James's Church," said Virgil. "It's the only one left on land, and it's still in use. You'll find it all the way at the end of St. James's Street. Father John Stewart is the man in charge at the church, and he no doubt can tell you more. Lake lived at the old Barne Manor, which he purchased in 1947 with his ample wealth. If you continue down Monastery Hill to the southwest, you'll find the driveway on the right eventually. It's private property, though. Lake's family still lives there, and it's to them that the townspeople are still loyal, though many of them do remember old Josiah fondly. He married some island girl that he brought back with him after the war, though nobody's ever really seen her as far as I know. Their son Bertie now basically controls Dunwich. There's also a daughter, Victoria. Bertie's sickly, they say. He hasn't shown himself in years."

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:25 pm
by ImpInTraining
Lucius acknowledged with a nod, then asked "I don't suppose your father kept a diary as well? I should like to know his personal insight about this Captain Lake. Or ... barring that, perhaps you might point us to someone else in the village who would have an unbiased opinion about the Lake family?"

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:46 am
by Mr. Handy
"Nobody in Dunwich has an unbiased opinion about the Lake family," said Virgil, "especially not me. Everybody either hates them or loves them, and there are few left that hate them. Some of the older people who remember what things were like before Josiah returned may resent them, but they'd be sure to hide their true feelings. Everyone already knows where I stand, though. My father may have kept a diary, but I do not know what became of it. I was only three when he died."

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:50 pm
by jaysun81
"Mr. Soames, has anyone else ever inquired about the stories you write?" Story looks towards Virgil.

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:07 am
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth looks up with interest at Story's question, and turns attentively to see what the answer will be.

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:07 am
by Mr. Handy
"I don't get many visitors," said Virgil. "The occasional fan has ventured here over the years to seek me out and talk to me about my writing, but nobody from Dunwich ever comes here. I'm persona non grata. Recently, only Dr. Kirby has asked me about my stories."

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:24 pm
by ImpInTraining
Lucius took a couple moments to glance outside again, a quick check for undesirables before asking Virgil, "I should like to read one of your books about the local lore. Where might I be able to get a copy? I don't suppose there would be many in the village with the villagers seeming to be at odds against you."

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:10 am
by Mr. Handy
The road outside the cottage was still peaceful and deserted.

"You'd be correct there," said Virgil, seeming to take no notice of the Roman's distraction. "I do have a few copies of my own books here, though, if you'd like to borrow one. They're in my study. I'll go get one for you." He rose from his seat. "If you'll excuse me, I'll be back shortly." He headed back to the living room, opening a door set into the left wall and vanishing through it.

Midnight remained perched on Brook's lap and meowed.

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:32 am
by Thorn
Brook strokes the cat gently and watches as mr Soames leave through a secret doorway, wondering if he'll come back at all. She'd seen all sorts of things lately, and wasn't as easily surprised as before.

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:50 pm
by ImpInTraining
Secret door?,I don't think it was a secret door. It is just a magical door that makes people vanish when they step through it.

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:53 pm
by Thorn
(Misunderstood, disregard. Just door.)

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:40 am
by Mr. Handy
Midnight licked Brook's hand as she stroked him, gazing up at her with his deep cat's eyes.
OOC,No, the door's not hidden, I just neglected to describe it when you went through the living room to get to the dining room. It's not magical, either. The wall in which it's set is. Either that, or you simply lack the ability to see through walls. ;)

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:36 pm
by yockenthwaite
"I bet his study is full of fascinating things," says Elizabeth. "It's lovely to have been able to talk to him like this."

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:46 pm
by jaysun81
Story smiles at Elizabeth's comment. "Indeed."

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:19 pm
by Mr. Handy
A moment later, Virgil returned with a small hardback book under his arm. He handed it to Lucius, who saw the title The Lore and Legends of Olde Dunwich. Beneath it was the author's name, Virgil Soames. "This is my first book," said Virgil, "and a good introduction. It's written for the layman, though historians may find it of interest as well. Copies of this are hard to come by, as there was only one printing and it didn't sell all that well. But at least the publisher provided me with a number of author copies."

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:56 pm
by ImpInTraining
Lucius accepted the book with a smile and a curt bow from the hips, "I am most greatful, Mr. Soames. I shall return it as soon as I am done reading it." He held the book up and smiled to Story (as if to say 'this is going to come in handy, I'll bet').

He opened the cover and looked for the table of contents, not even sure if he'd be able to read English in a book. Sure, he could make out signs and such compliments of the T.A.R.D.I.S. special capabilities, but a book could prove too complicated. He hadn't tried yet to know if it would even work.

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:23 am
by Mr. Handy
"Oh, you're quite welcome," said Virgil. "I hope it proves enlightening. Were there any other questions?"

Lucius was able to understand the book's text just fine. It was made very similarly to books he had seen in 1930, though quite different from the scrolls he was used to from his own time. The table of contents showed that chapters were broken down by era and presented in chronological order. The first chapter described Dunwich's early days as a Roman fort. Though the Roman invasion of Britannia wouldn't happen until after his own time, he had heard it mentioned during his adventures. He was unfamiliar with the two thousand years that had passed between his own day and this one, but he could see the ages he had passed over described briefly here: Early Medieval, Late Medieval, Renaissance, Enlgihtenment, Industrial, and Modern.

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:26 am
by Mskatonic
Valerie sipped her tea and listened to the conversation. She glanced thoughtfully at the four visitors who had also come to visit the author. It seemed an odd mix of company, but who was she to judge? From what she knew of Dunwich, it wasn't a town that attracted many visitors on a day to day basis. What could be happening to draw such interest? Her mind wandered to Dr. Kirby and her potential whereabouts. Dr Kirby was a kind woman and Valerie hoped that nothing too dreadful had happened to her, although knew better than to be too hopeful. It seemed time was of the essence with this case.

Valerie set her tea cup on the saucer, turned to Virgil and asked, "Well, Virgil, your family has lived in Dunwich for centuries you say? I don't recall my late husband ever mentioning family in this area. Philip did fancy a bit of genealogy study later in his life, but never got too far with it. It seems Elliot here is carrying on the torch in that department." Valerie smiled warmly at Elliot.

OOC-I didn't see the name of Valerie's late husband so I just made up a name,hope that's ok.

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:11 am
by Mr. Handy
"Ah, well the fact that your husband never mentioned having family here doesn't prove anything one way or the other," said Virgil. "We have had some branches of our family tree spread out from Dunwich, and it's no surprise if they didn't want to talk about us - especially considering what happened after the war. Let me see..." He stroked his chin in thought. "Philip, you say? I've studied my family history, and I recall that my father had a cousin named Philip Soames who was born in Dunwich. He was a commissioned officer in World War Two, a lieutenant I believe. He didn't return to Dunwich after the war, though. He settled down somewhere in the Home Counties after he was demobbed. Both my brother and I were too young to have remembered meeting him, and we had no contact with him after our parents were killed in 1946."
OOC,Yes, that's fine. His name was never established by [b]Valerie[/b]'s original player, so you were free to do so.

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:34 pm
by jaysun81
Story listens to the conversation between Virgil and Valerie. After a moment he gets up and walks over to Lucius and points at the book. "Anything interesting?"

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:42 am
by Thorn
Brook pets Midnight, and listens to the conversation, wondering what kind of mystery the Tardis has landed them in. Probably has something to do with the big fish. Big fish are scary.

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:22 pm
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth sits quietly, ostensibly listening to Valerie and Virgil, but intrigued by Story's question, and listening in to him and Lucius with more interest.

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:02 am
by ImpInTraining
"It is quite extensive. Indeed, Mr. Soames has done a good deal of research, covering several Eras... not as far back as my..." he quieted himself quite abruptly and looked up suddenly before saying something stupid and then rerouted his choice of words. "Well... let's just say not my area of expertise. But it should make for interesting reading. I may have a few questions about the details of you, Story. You seem fairly well educated on all of these eras," Lucius said with a wink.

He handed the book over to Story so that he could take a gander.

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:13 am
by Mskatonic
"Well, I'll say! My Philip was a lieutenant in the war! Fancy that, we would be in-laws of sorts if it is the same Philip as in your research. It is a small world isn't it?" Valerie mused. " However, you say you are the last of the Dunwich Soames? Your parents were killed? How tragic that must have been for you.... Valerie became a bit concerned about her and Elliot's cover story since Soames did not appear well-loved in this town.

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:19 am
by Mr. Handy
"Mew," squeaked Midnight, nuzzling Brook cheerfully.

"Quite," said Virgil with a smile. "Then we may in fact be family. This isn't absolute proof, of course, but it certainly looks that way. Thank you for your kindness, Mrs. Soames. Yes, I am the last of our line in Dunwich. I was only three when my parents died. I don't even remember what happened. Edward was seven, and he protected me. He always has, really. After it happened, our aunt and uncle looked after us, but they passed away of natural causes in the sixties. When Edward died in 1970, that only left me from the Soames line in Dunwich. I've never married; no woman in town would dare even if she felt any attraction. Besides, have you seen some of them?" He shook his head from side to side. "It's no great loss for me, and I've no desire to look farther afield. I won't leave Dunwich, either. This is my home, and I refuse to be driven out. I will spend the rest of my life here."

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:26 pm
by Thorn
Brook picks up Midnight from her lap and stands, carrying the cat over to one of the book shelves, where she stands "ahenny". "Are there any mysteries surrounding Dunwich besides the shrieking eels and old churches?"

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:12 pm
by jaysun81
Story smiles at Lucius' comment and says, "I'll be glad to take a look." He begins to skim through the book written by Mr. Soames.

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:06 am
by Mskatonic
"It would be hasty to make assumptions, but I do agree there is a strong possibility of family relation. You know, I was looking forward to adding a nephew or cousin to my knitting list, I enjoy knitting colorful Christmas jumpers for my family. You could say it is a bit of a family tradition! "Valerie points to her handbag that has some yarn and knitting needles haphazardly sticking out and chuckles."It does get rather chilly on coastal towns like these. What size sweater do you wear? Hmm you look to be about a medium size, 38 perhaps. And, honestly we haven't seen anyone from Dunwich besides you. We have just arrived to the area, came about B1125, haven't even passed through Dunwich proper yet. Don't fancy we'll be staying in the area terribly long, but I suppose Elliot and I would like a look-around. I was hoping to talk with young Val while she was in town. I hope that she is well." Valerie glances off towards the window with a look of concern on her face.

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:54 am
by Mr. Handy
"So do I," said Virgil in a solemn tone. "She was most delightful company. If she suffered a diving mishap, I'd feel responsible, as it was I who told her of the Eye of Hydra." He forced his expression to brighten. "I would be pleased to exchange gifts with you at Christmastime. Yes, it does get chilly of nights here, and I do take a 38. You've got a good eye. It feels good to have family again after so long, if indeed we are family. I think you'll enjoy your visit to Dunwich."

Story began to peruse the book and noted the same things that Lucius had. It would take some time to skim the entire thing, though at first glance most of it seemed to be conjecture without facts to support it.
OOC,The bookshelves are in the study. [b]Brook[/b], are you entering that room?

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:29 am
by Thorn
Yes, she moves into the study if that's where the books are.

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:00 pm
by ImpInTraining
Lucius went back to glancing out the window and asked Story, "Where do you suppose we should head next?"

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:49 am
by jaysun81
Story lays the book on the table. He then stands up and walks over to Lucius. "Perhaps we should take a walk down to the museum for a bit? We just might catch a glimpse of whoever it was that seemed to be following us."

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:26 pm
by ImpInTraining
Lucius nodded, but went over to retrieve the book that was loaned to him. "Ready when you are."

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:44 am
by jaysun81
Story nods at Lucius. "We should see what the ladies wish to do before we leave though." Walks over to Elizabeth and leans in close. "Lucius and I are going to walk down to the museum for a bit. Do you wish to come along or stay here and converse with Virgil some more? I'm not sure what Brook wishes to do yet."

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:51 am
by yockenthwaite
"I'd really like to see the museum," says Elizabeth quietly. "So I will come with you two." She stands up, ready to accompany the others.

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:56 am
by Mskatonic
"Yes family 's important, especially these days." Valerie replied to Virgil. "Elliot and I appreciate your hospitality, but we should be letting you get on with your doings. I'm sure you have more to do than entertain guests all day. I suppose we will be heading to Dunwich next, and will most likely be spending a night or two at the Ship Inn. Anything you recommend as a must-see while we are in the area?" Valerie turns to the other visitors, "I didn't see you folks driving a car, do you need a lift to town?"
Spoiler:
OOC-do I have a phone or any way to contact UNIT? Wasn't sure if that equipment was lost in the crash.

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:14 am
by jaysun81
Before Story pulls away he says to Elizabeth, "Brooks in the study, do you mind checking in on her and letting her know the plan?" Before answering Valerie, Story looks at Lucius to see if his friend shows any unease about her offer.

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:26 am
by Mr. Handy
Brook got up from the table and walked over towards the study door carrying the cat, and she was rather conspicuous about it. However, Virgil was completely distracted by the conversation and paid her no heed. The study had mahogany panels covering the walls. It contained a large fireplace, currently unlit, a big oak writing desk with several drawers, a comfortable-looking leather armchair, and several shelves lined with books. Glancing through the spines, she noticed that a few of the books were in Latin, and a few even had Norse runes, though most of them were in English. They largely focused on history, but with an odd bent. There were a large number of books dealing with the occult and with magick (the "k" on the end was important, as it differentiated it from stage magic). Only a few of them were written by Virgil Soames.

Lucius looked out the window, but there was still no foot or vehicle traffic outside.

"You're welcome to stay and talk as long as you like," says Virgil. "I so rarely get visitors that it is a welcome interruption. I can write any time. Of course, if you'd like to be on your way and see the sights of Dunwich, don't let me stop you. Feel free to stop by any time. I heartily recommend the museum, and Amelia Cressy is one of the few people in town who still talks to me. She's the head curator. They're all volunteers, you know. None of them get paid. You might also be interested in the ruins of the Greyfriars Abbey just up the road from here. It's blocked to vehicles, but you could go in on foot. And when it's lunchtime, you might want to eat at the Flora Café. The fish and chips are quite good there. There's also St. James's Church at the end of the street with that name, the only church left that is not currently underwater."
OOC,[b]Brook[/b], you may roll Occult.
Valerie Soames,[b]Valerie[/b], you do not have a portable phone (they exist, but they're not standard issue in 1985) or an R/T unit. Nobody requested them when equipment was issued. You could still contact UNIT via a landline.

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:19 am
by Thorn
(Could someone roll for me? Occult is 25 %.)

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:21 pm
by yockenthwaite
"Sure," says Elizabeth to Story. She walks over to the study door and nips her head through. "Brook, we are going to head over to the museum. Do you want to come with us?"

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:59 pm
by ImpInTraining
Lucius' hair stood up on the back of his neck. He turned around to see Story looking at him... which the Roman thought was odd. Since when did they look to Lucius for direction. He stepped away from the window, satisfied they were leaving soon, and said to Valerie, "It's not a bad day for a walk, but we walked here. So perhaps a ride back would be nice. Thank you very much for the offer."

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:10 pm
by Thorn
"OK, sure," Brook replies and steps out of the study, still holding the cat. She places MIdnight on the floor, and pets him/her a few times. "I'm coming."

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:36 am
by jaysun81
"Excellent choice Lucius." Turning back to Valerie he smiles and says, "Whenever you're ready." Story looks at Virgil, "It was a pleasure meeting you. Perhaps we shall converse yet again before our time in Dunwich is over."
Mr. Handy,I saw Thorn needed Brook's Occult rolled so I did it for her. If that's a line you don't want other PC's crossing just let me know. Otherwise, here's the results: [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3959862/]Occult - 25% (1d100=22)[/url]

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:44 am
by yockenthwaite
"Yes, thank you for sharing the stories of Dunwich's past with us," says Elizabeth to Virgil. "They were fascinating."

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:00 am
by Mskatonic
"Well I am more than happy to give you a lift to town, however I suppose I should warn you about my driving.." Valerie chuckles. "Though I suppose you'd be safer in the car than out of it!" Valerie jokes cheerfully. "It might be a squeeze but you all should be able to fit in the back of the ole banger."

Valerie turns to Virgil. "I will let you know if I hear anything from young Val. It was good meeting you and a shame you couldn't have met my dear Philip, I'm sure you two would have gotten along.."

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:26 am
by Mr. Handy
"It's been a pleasure meeting all of you as well," said Virgil, waving. "Enjoy your stay in Dunwich, and stop by any time."

The six visitors left the house and made their way to the Model T parked outside. It only seated five, however.

"I can stand on the running board," said Elliot. "It's not far to town."
OOC,It was fine that you rolled for [b]Brook[/b], as she asked for someone to roll for her - especially since that roll succeeded! ;) Midnight is a tomcat.
Brook Davies,[b]Brook[/b] had noticed that [b]Virgil[/b]'s library contained a number of books that she had seen before - The Golden Bough, something by Aleister Crowley, and even more esoteric tomes. There was some pretty heavy-duty stuff in the mix, including a couple of books that she had never read but that she had heard purported to teach the reader magickal spells.

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:13 pm
by Thorn
Brook waves goodbye to Virgil, and gets into the car with the others. "I can understand his mysterious reputation. His study is full of books on magic and stuff," she says to Story.

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:46 pm
by ImpInTraining
Model T?,I thought you said it was the mid-80's. Is she really driving a Model T?

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:48 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Yes, it's 1985 and that really is an old Ford Model T. [b]Valerie Soames[/b] is sixty, so she's probably about as old as the car. It looks very similar in style to the "chariots" [b]Lucius[/b] saw back in 1930, not like the more streamlined ones he's seen in this era. Old Fords really do last that long. I remember back in 2000 I was riding in a bus on the highway and saw a 1931 Ford Model A driving alongside.

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:25 pm
by ImpInTraining
Lucius said, "Why don't you all go ahead. I'll walk and meet you at the museum."

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:04 am
by jaysun81
Story directs his attention to Brook. "Oh? Interesting. Perhaps we just might end up visiting the good author once more." Hearing Lucius comment Story looks at him wondering if the motivation for walking has to do with more than just a packed automobile; after a moment he nods at his Roman friend and returns his attention to Brook. "Anything else of note?"

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:23 pm
by Thorn
Brook thinks. "Hmmmm.....The Golden Bough...some of Alister Crowley.....and some real serious ones that supposedly'll teach you real magic. And a bunch of other occult stuff. No Harry Potter, though."

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:48 pm
by yockenthwaite
"Wonder what he's doing with those books?" ponders Elizabeth. "You don't think he'd be trying to do magic, really, do you? Maybe it's just an academic interest. Or maybe not!"

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:20 am
by Thorn
"I wouldn't be surprised if he did. What I've learned over the past months is that people do all sorts of weird things." Brook replies.

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:34 pm
by ImpInTraining
Lucius enjoyed walking. He relished the times of the long-ago when there were no cars... only animals and chariots ... and a lot of walking. This brisk jaunt down the country road brought back memories of Rome. It wasn't too much different when he was away from all the contraptions of the modern era. It was settling to the Roman to focus on his surroundings, on the sounds and scents as well as what he saw. It was a nice break from their twisted reality of time-hopping to sleuth out a horrific problem caused most likely by fanatical cultists or strange creatures that shouldn't exist.

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:33 pm
by yockenthwaite
"Yeah, I suppose that's true," says Elizabeth to Brook. "And him having all those magic and occult books does raise the question of what else was going on, that he didn't tell us about."

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:55 am
by Mskatonic
Spoiler:
OOC-Can my character overhear this conversation while in the car?

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy

It did not take long for Valerie to drive the crowded automobile up the road to the intersection with St. James's Street. The Ship Inn was visible at the end of the street.

Lucius followed behind at a more sedate pace. The car moved much faster than him, though he could still see it in the distance when it got to the intersection.
OOC,Yes, everyone except [b]Lucius[/b] can hear (and participate in) the conversation in the car. Everyone but [b]Lucius[/b], please roll Spot Hidden.

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:29 pm
by jaysun81
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3970511/]Spot Hidden - 28% (1d100=28)[/url]

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:35 pm
by yockenthwaite
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3970631/]Rolling Spot Hidden (stat 38%) as approaching intersection in car (1d100=32)[/url]

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:31 pm
by Thorn
(Could someone roll for me, please?)

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:38 pm
by yockenthwaite
[Sorry Thorn!]
OOC roll for Brook,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3970702/]Spot Hidden (stat 45%) as approaching intersection in car (1d100=100)[/url]

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:45 pm
by ImpInTraining
Lucius continued walking, half expecting a lynch mob to jump out and attack him for visiting the infamous author... but he was pleasantly incorrect (for the time being).
ooc,just jab me in the ribs when I can interact again.

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:48 pm
by Thorn
(No problem, yockentwhaite ;) I just hope her eyes don't fall out.)

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:39 am
by Mskatonic
Spoiler:
Spot hidden (1d100=50)with a skill of 70%

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:38 am
by Mr. Handy
Brook was oblivious, lost in her own world, but Elliot noticed something.
Elliot Webb/Valerie Soames,[b]Elliot[/b] and [b]Valerie[/b] both noticed the Land Rover in the car park outside the Ship Inn.
Story/Elizabeth Young,[b]Story[/b] and [b]Elizabeth[/b] almost didn't notice anything, but something at the backs of their minds alerted them that there was something off. It took them a moment to realize that it was what they [i]weren't[/i] seeing. Glancing to the right, towards the deserted stretch of beach where the TARDIS had materialized, they noticed that they couldn't see it at all.

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:49 am
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth gasps, then looks to her companions to see if they have noticed it too.

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:42 am
by Thorn
Brook looks to Elisabeth when she gasps. "What is it?"

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:14 pm
by Mskatonic
"Looks like there are quite a few travelers at the inn judging by all those cars, I hope we can get a room!" Valerie says.

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:08 pm
by yockenthwaite
"The TARDIS!", says Elizabeth, quietly to Brook. "It's not there!"

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:58 pm
by Thorn
Brook gasps and looks towards the beach where they'd parked. "What?! But....How are we gonna.....?" She shuts up and looks towards the two strangers in the car, then to Story. "You can find her, right?"

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:51 am
by jaysun81
Looking at the beach Story remains silent, until Brook speaks and then he responds, "Of course..." Smiles and attempts to look unconcerned. "I always have haven't I? I'm sure it's removal was merely because of some violation of city code or some such none sense." Story glances at Valerie. "Thank you for the ride. We truly appreciate it. Good luck in obtaining a room for the night." Story looks at Elizabeth and Brook and just barely shakes his head and casually puts his index finger to his lip.

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:18 am
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth nods discreetly, and recomposes herself, attempting, like Story, to look unconcerned.

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:39 am
by Mskatonic
"It was no problem at all, dearies. I hope you all find what you are looking for here in town and have a pleasant stay!" Valerie gave a relaxed smile, not appearing to have taken much notice of the odd conversation she heard. "But do me a favor, if you see my friend Valerie Kirby around, do let her know that I am looking for her." Valerie gives a description of the woman; "She is in her early 40's with long blond hair and blue eyes. She's a scholarly type with an athletic build. I was planning on taking a tour of the local gardens with her while we were in town. I do hope nothing has happened to her." Valerie purses her lips and looks across to the shoreline, scanning the horizon.

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:20 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,[b]Valerie Kirby[/b] is actually in her mid-twenties. It's very young for her position, but she is a prodigy. The woman in the picture I displayed is older than that, but it was the closest one I could find to how I envisioned her.

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:21 am
by yockenthwaite
"Yes we will," says Elizabeth to Valerie. "I, too, hope that she is ok."

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:52 pm
by Mskatonic
"Are you all going to spending some time in Dunwich or are you planning on moving on? I do hope to visit the museum while we are here. Have you been there yet?" Valerie asked.

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:11 pm
by jaysun81
"We went by there earlier though it was open. However, we're hoping to hop in for a bit." Story smiles.
OOC,Is the car still driving or has it parked?

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:24 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,At this point, [b]Valerie[/b] can have parked outside the inn if that's where she wants to stop.

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:20 pm
by Mskatonic
Spoiler:
yes I'll park the car by the inn

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:47 pm
by Thorn
Brook slides out of the car, and stands waiting for the others to come out. She looks concerned towards the beach, letting her fingers grip the TARDIS key in her pocket tightly.

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:18 pm
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth follows Brook, grateful to have the chance to stretch her legs after the squeeze in the car.

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:36 am
by jaysun81
Story climbs out of the car and glances at Brook, then Elizabeth. After a moment he turns and looks in the direction from which they came hoping to see see how far off Lucius was.

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:22 am
by Mr. Handy
Lucius was not far away. In the time they had taken to park and get out of the car, he had started catching up to them and would reach them shortly.
OOC,Feel free to rejoin the others, [b]Lucius[/b].

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:54 am
by Mskatonic
Valerie sits in the drivers seat of the parked car. She reaches for her handbag and places it on her lap and then takes the key out of the ignition. "I suppose we should try and check into the Inn, ey, Elliot?"

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:06 pm
by ImpInTraining
Lucius strided up, feeling pretty good. It was a nice day and a pleasant walk. He liked this better than the big cities they had been to where there were so many strange sounds and odors. He smiled to the others and said, "What are we using for currency? I saw a chicken down the road I could try to snatch up..."

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:34 am
by Mr. Handy
"Right, Auntie," said Elliot, getting out of the car and opening Valerie's door as Lucius rejoined his friends.
OOC,[b]Lucius[/b], you may roll Spot Hidden now.

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:31 pm
by ImpInTraining
Spot Hidden - major success,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3986671/]Spot Hidden (57%) (1d100=3)[/url] - that's a critical success, right?
Lucius nearly trips as he notices off in the distance the T.A.R.D.I.S. is not where it is supposed to be. He looked to Story with anxiety. "Did you... move it?"

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:47 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Yes, that's a critical all right. :D
Valerie and Elliot entered the front door of the inn as Lucius caught up with Story, Elizabeth, and Brook. Lucius was even more observant this morning than usual. He noticed right away that the TARDIS was not where they had left it on the beach off to the right, but he saw a lot more than that. He spotted a square depression in the sand precisely where the TARDIS had once stood, obviously an impression it had left. A furrow was gouged in the sand leading from the impression to the sea. In the sand were footprints. One set looked normal, and led across the beach from one end to the other, probably left by the old man they had met earlier. Another set was a bit too large to be human, leading to and from the water's edge. The furrow seemed to have eliminated most traces of them, but he was just able to make them out. The tide had come in somewhat since they had arrived, but it still hadn't reached where the TARDIS had been. The tracks were vaguely foot-shaped, though they seemed to be clawed, as if they were left by an animal. This was belied by the fact that they were bipedal. Whatever had left them had walked upright. One thing was clear. Someone - or something - had dragged the TARDIS into the sea...
Story
JAYSUN81

Elizabeth Young
YOCKENTHWAITE

Lucuus Verres
IMPINTRAINING

Brook Davies
THORN

Chad Engraham
SSIOR.27

Leonek Novak
MADJAYMILTON
DRPETERSON

Raymond MacIntyre
CRACKHEADC.

Tobias Maddox
AINE

Dr. Salem Shields
DETECTIVESOCKS

Elliot Webb
JIMACOL

Valerie Soames
MARKH
MSKATONIC

Dr. Valerie Kirby
MR. HANDY

Brigadier Crichton
MR. HANDY

Zeke Baker
MR. HANDY

Dorothy Stebbins
MR. HANDY

Annie Howard
MR. HANDY

Virgil Soames
MR. HANDY

Jenkins
MR. HANDY

Major
MR. HANDY

Corporal
MR. HANDY

Receptionist
MR. HANDY

Dr. Evans
MR. HANDY

Dr. Richard Strong
MR. HANDY

Repairman
MR. HANDY

Amelia Cressy
MR. HANDY

Title music by
RON GRAINER and
BBC RADIOPHONIC
WORKSHOP

Designer
MR. HANDY

Producer
MR. HANDY

Directed by
MR. HANDY
OOC,[b]Story[/b], [b]Elizabeth[/b], [b]Lucius[/b], and [b]Brook[/b] are moving to the thread linked below.
Stranded
OOC,[b]Valerie[/b] and [b]Elliot[/b] are moving to the thread linked below.
Reunion