IC-Ep 1-Ghostwriter(Story/Elizabeth/Lucius/Brook/Val/Elliot)

New UNIT Scientific Advisor Dr. Valerie Kirby has mysteriously disappeared during routine inquiries in Dunwich, and a team from UNIT has been hastily assembled to go to Dunwich in order to find her and bring her back. Meanwhile, Story and his companions materialize in Dunwich and begin to explore.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

Re: IC-Ep 1-Ghostwriter(Story/Elizabeth/Lucius/Brook/Val/Ell

Post by jaysun81 »

"Trouble? No. Don't mind Lucius, he's Roman." Looks over at Lucius before turning his attention back on the boy. "As far as Mr. Soames having visitors...well, we're all here aren't we?" Smiles.
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by yockenthwaite »

"So what sort of stories have you uncovered about Dunwich, Mr Soames?" asks Elizabeth, trying to subtly turn the conversation back on track. "We are hoping to go to the museum while here but have you found out other things that they don't concentrate on?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Ah, the museum is a wonderful place, Miss," said Virgil Soames from the kitchen, walking back to the doorway to the dining room after putting the kettle on the stove. "I've done some of my research there to get the historical details right. But the museum focuses mainly on known, provable facts about Dunwich. I like to write about things which cannot be proven. Many of them are probably untrue, though still interesting. There is no doubt a kernel of truth behind some of the old legends. The trick is telling the difference between the two. My family has lived in Dunwich for centuries, and a lot of things get passed down."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

"That sounds fascinating," says Elizabeth, smiling broadly. "I'd love to know more about the legends you've discovered. Any particularly good stories there?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"More than I'll ever have time to write about," said Virgil, smiling wistfully. "Dunwich was once a large, burgeoning city, until the sea claimed most of it. Now it is but a shadow of its former self, but in that shadow we can see hints of what originally cast it. One particularly fascinating legend is the tale of a flawless sapphire known as 'The Eye of Hydra.' The gem's origins are shrouded in the mists of history, but it is said to have come from Greece, dating back to ancient times. It is reputed to have mystical powers that can give its possessor control over the element of water, but at an unknown and terrible cost. A knight from Dunwich rode through Greece on his way to the one of the crusades and managed to find the gemstone, which he brought back with him upon his return to Dunwich. It was buried with him upon his death, in the crypt of one of the many churches this town used to possess. Whatever the stone's powers, they did not keep the encroaching sea at bay. That church is now underwater, the sapphire still sealed away and awaiting discovery. Or so the legend goes."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple

Post by jaysun81 »

Speaking up so that Virgil can hear him Story says, "Mr. Soames, when we first arrived we spent a few minutes down on the beach. While we were hanging about I took some time to look out across the water. As I was doing so I noticed something in the water well off shore. It was vague and indistinct but it was easily eight or nine feet long. Truth be told I got the strangest feeling that it saw my associates and I and was actually watching us. So I'm curious, based on your knowledge of local folk lore and legends does this sound familiar?"
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, I have heard of sightings of strange...large fish in the water offshore," replied Virgil. "I've never seen them myself, but my brother did, and some of the other locals have as well. Mainly the fishermen, as they spend more time offshore. That's probably why people don't go swimming much here. Most of the sightings aren't of fish that big. They're usually reported as being six or seven feet long."
OOC,Everyone may roll Psychology (or Insight in the case of [b]Lucius[/b]).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3884178/]Rolling Psychology (stat 41%) as Virgil Soames speaks about the sea creatures (1d100=52)[/url]
Thorn
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by Thorn »

(Could someone roll for me, please?)

Brook smiles a bit. "Shrieking eels?"
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple

Post by jaysun81 »

OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3885176/]Psychology - 90% (1d100=29)[/url]
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Brook picked nothing up about Virgil's tales that wasn't obvious.

"No, Miss, from the descriptions of the sightings these creatures are too wide to have been eels," said Virgil.
Story,[b]Story[/b] could tell that [b]Virgil[/b] coveted the gem he had spoken of, that he felt sorrow when he spoke of his brother, and that he hadn't told all he knew of the sea creatures.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple

Post by jaysun81 »

Strokes his chin and asks, "Has anyone ever mounted an expedition to not only recover the gem but to also...bag and tag one of these Dunwich sea creatures? Wait a second," Stands up and walks to the kitchen area "you said your brother saw one?"
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, my brother Edward had seen them before, though not up close," said Virgil. "No fisherman has caught one of them, though occasionally they will tell a tale of one that got away. The creature gets larger each time they tell it, of course," he adds with a smirk. "They could be sharks, I suppose - there have been confirmed shark sightings in these waters - but from what I've heard they seem more...intelligent. Nobody has yet launched an expedition to recover the gem. It isn't down all that far, so not much would be needed in the way of diving gear. I think I may be the only one who has deduced in which church it lies hidden and discovered the name of the knight, though I did entrust this information to Dr. Kirby when I spoke to her."

The teakettle whistled in the kitchen, and Valerie Soames turned off the burner and filled the pot. "Did she go looking for the gem?" she asked from the kitchen.

"She told me she planned to go diving for it the following morning. That would have been yesterday. But I haven't heard from her."

"Valerie is a good swimmer." Mrs. Soames helped Brook bring the tea tray into the dining room. Midnight followed them back. Virgil stepped aside as they passed, and they set the tray down on the table. Valerie began pouring the tea into cups. "Still, I'm worried about her. I haven't heard from her either since two days ago, and I'm sure she would have telephoned. Hearing about these sea creatures is alarming. Could something have happened to her when she went diving for the gem?"

Virgil looked concerned. "I sincerely hope not, but I cannot discount the possibility."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

Ever attentive, Lucius did pick up something as he listened passively to the conversation.
Insight - success!,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3888856/]Insight (63%) (1d100=14)[/url]
Meanwhile, he maintained his post near the windows, trying to look casual as he kept a sharp eye out for other visitors outside.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elliot paid close attention to Virgil, but he couldn't quite read the man. He was a closed book to Valerie Soames as well.
Lucius Verres,[b]Lucius[/b] could tell that [b]Virgil[/b] coveted the gem he had spoken of, that he felt sorrow when he spoke of his brother, and that he hadn't told all he knew of the sea creatures. He did seem genuinely concerned about [b]Valerie Kirby[/b], though he was still desirous of the sapphire.
Story,[b]Virgil[/b] did seem genuinely concerned about [b]Valerie Kirby[/b], though he was still desirous of the sapphire. There was still more he hadn't said about the sea creatures.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

"Where was Valerie staying?" asks Elizabeth. "Could we possibly try to call on her to check that she is ok?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, dearie," said Valerie Soames. "She's staying at the Ship Inn."

Virgil nodded. "It is the only inn in Dunwich," he added. "She'd have to be staying there."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple

Post by jaysun81 »

"Intelligence you say? Hmmm...interesting, most interesting. I wonder if these intelligent sea creatures are somehow linked to the sapphire." Scratches his head. "Tell me, does your brother reside here in town? I would very much like to speak with him about his sighting of these sea creatures. Perhaps he can provide some more information on what exactly he saw."
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"If you want to speak to my brother Edward," said Virgil in a dry tone, "I would need to dim the lights and get some candles out. He's been dead for quite some time."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple