CH1-14 After the nights events... (All)

Moderator: ghill

royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years

Re: IC-CH1 After the nights events... (All)

Post by royya »

ghill wrote:
Jane looks at the papers Jacob hands her. "Not to put to fine a point on it Mr Greenberg, but I'm afraid you haven't told me who you work for, or why I should give you information about our clients. All I am prepared to say at this point is any business dealing we have are entirely legitimate and above board. I'd also suggest that if a company is registered in the Isle of Man its because they don't want people like yourselves snooping into their business."
Jacob is not that surprised by the calm attack Mrs. Smith made on him. As a solicitor he is used to such things.
No need to be offensive Mrs. Smith but I'm failing to see why you are trying to keep an innocent and legitimate deal like this so secret. Honestly, I came here with a smile and asked for your help and you became so protective like someone who hides something.
I will be happy for your cooperation Mrs. Smith since things could turn ugly for your company's reputation if you are doing business with companies that do not like people like myself snooping into their business. I'm sure we can settle down and do business, what do you say?

OOC - Jacob is trying to intimidate her. maybe fast talk or persuade her that it is wise to cooperate with him.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Chloe," says Liz to Daniel, extending her hand. "I'm Mr. Greenberg's assistant." As she talks, she carefully observes both him and Jane Smith, trying to judge their reactions to Jacob's questions and to see if they seem guilty or nervous.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by ghill »

royya wrote:No need to be offensive Mrs. Smith but I'm failing to see why you are trying to keep an innocent and legitimate deal like this so secret. Honestly, I came here with a smile and asked for your help and you became so protective like someone who hides something.

"Mr Greenberg, I say the nature of the business we conduct with out clients is private, you haven't yet given me any reason why I should disclose the private business dealings of my client to you. I would add that I do not inend to unless I am legally obliged to do so in a court of law. You claim to be a solicitor Mr Greenberg surely you understand about client confidentiality "

OOC: Redacted,As a lawyer your not going to say something like this because its downright threatening and might be construed as blackmail. - "I will be happy for your cooperation Mrs. Smith since things could turn ugly for your company's reputation if you are doing business with companies that do not like people like myself snooping into their business. I'm sure we can settle down and do business, what do you say?"[/b]
OOC: Persuade,Go for it. However, because of the way this conversation opened it is going to be difficult (you've already upset her) and failure is likely to result in you being kicked out of the office.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Mr. Handy wrote: "Chloe," says Liz to Daniel, extending her hand. "I'm Mr. Greenberg's assistant." As she talks, she carefully observes both him and Jane Smith, trying to judge their reactions to Jacob's questions and to see if they seem guilty or nervous.
Daniel shakes Liz's (Chloe's) hand while keeping one eye on the developing argument between Jane and Jacob. "She deals with solicitors all day every day, your boss isnt going to get very far trying to bully her, especially when he doesn't have a leg to stand on.
OOC: Reactions,Daniel seems bemused, Jane seems pissed off. Jacob hasn't mentioned any details yet though.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz gives Daniel a conspiratorial smile. "I have to deal with him all the time," she says. "He's not really as bad as all that, though. He's a decent chap, underneath. He just thinks he can always get his own way. Excuse me a moment." She goes up to Jacob. "Pardon me, sir, but perhaps a different tack is in order. Remember, these people are not the subjects of the case, and I doubt they're aware of everything their clients do. They might be more willing to help if you politely explain the import."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

ooc,Sorry, I don't even know where Greg is at the moment...
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

OOC: Whereis Greg,Wherever you want him to be. Either with Liz and Jacob or anywhere else he wants to be, if you wanted him to continue doing research on other matters.
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Persuade (1d100=67) - Fail.

OK Mrs. Smith, we shall have it your way.
Jacob rpelies as he can see he failed to intimidate her. So he tries the direct way.
I suspect the companies your sold the properties to are involved with buyers that are related to the world of crime. we cannot find any records of these compnaies and suspect they are involved with moeny laundering and Albanian gangs.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Jacob's efforts to intimidate Smith fall on death ears infact as he goes on she clearly gets angrier and angrier.

"OK Mrs. Smith, we shall have it your way..." [Jacob doesn't actually manage to get another word in/]

"My way? My way Mr Greenberg, is to protect my client's privacy. You can't threaten my business reputation and try and bully me into giving you private information, simply on some suspicion. Now get out, or do I have to call the police?" Mrs Smith picks up the phone her hand hovering over the button.
Failed Persuade,I did warn you that this would be the result of a failed attempt at trying to intimidate her.
Daniel leans over towards Chloe/Liz "I told you didn't I. Look whatever your boss might think, we are a legitimate business, we manage rentals and sell properties for our clients. Just like any other estate agent" (estate agent - realtor)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I know," says Liz. "He just gets like this sometimes, especially when he's passionate about something. If only he'd just explained that an abused child's life was at stake..."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Daniel shrugs "In all honesty I doubt it would make much difference, we sell houses for people, occassionally we act as peoples agents at auction. But I can tell you this, Jane has two girls of her own and if she thought there was anything dodgy going on with a client she wouldn't hesitate to call the police. But the fact is whatever your boss might think we don't get involved everything is legal and above board, we're profitable we don't need to get involved with anything dodgy."
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Jacob stands with pride and goes out without saying a word. He will leave Liz there to see if she can play the good cop for now.

*Well I tried. :D
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm sure you wouldn't be aware if your clients were up to something," says Liz. "but you might have information that could be of help without realising it. We have reason to believe that some of your clients are members of an Albanian organised crime outfit engaged in human trafficking, among other things. There's a girl named Elira Nesimi that they've kidnapped, tattooed, and done God knows what else to. She managed to get away from them at Heathrow and was placed with a foster family, the Tolkas. However, the house was burned down - it looks like arson. The parents were killed, and Elira is missing. We think they've managed to get their hands on her again. Can we exchange contact information? That way, if you think of anything you'd like to tell us, or if we learn anything new, we can pass it on."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Daniel makes a face at Liz as though he's thinking really hard. "Well none of those names ring a bell." He reaches across to the paperwork Jacob dropped on smith's desk and flicks through it. "Look, I can tell you that we bought these properties as an agent for the landlord at auction and charged our normal commission and they were or are rented or leased, I not sure which as we don't manage them. I suspect the companies are tax avoidance vehicles, but there isn't anything illegal about that, although it really muddies the waters as to who actually owns them. Could be the guy is leasing the houses to himself to live in maybe?"

At the desk Jane Smith coughts and makes a pointed raised eyebrows as if to say what do you think you're doing. Daniel just smiles "She asked nicer...got anything to add." he hands the papers back over

Smith takes the papers back and looks through them herself "Redrupp and Vosper were the client, which means they were acting on behalf of someone else...Oh yeah probably whoever owns these other companies, but I have no idea who they really are...and you absoluetly heard none of that here."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you very much," says Liz with a smile. "The owner of at least one of the properties is Idriz Patrella, and there are other members of that family that have come up in our investigations: Veton, Indrit, and Afrodita, as well as someone named Sindi Pula. I'm not certain, but that might be a false name they've given to Elira." She gives Daniel her mobile number. "Feel free to call if you think of anything else."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Jacob goes out past Greg cursing words in Hebrew. All Greg understand is the name Mrs. Smith.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Greg decided to do more research in the library on occult matters of the walking dead, in the event that they come across more of them like the old woman the day prior. He also looked in today's newspaper to see if there was any mention of trouble around that tatoo parlor.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Greg finds a front page article in a local newspaper about last nights events - It tells how an old woman died during a bungled burgalry. Reading between the lines it seems the police are treating the death as though the woman died of a heart attack or stroke as a result of the burgalry.
Research: The Walking dead,[b]Library Use[/b] roll and you need to be a bit more specific about what you are looking for.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Greg was a little distraught at the news. He hoped they would autopsy the woman, and they'd be sure to find the woman died hours before the 'botched burglary'. But there was no time to worry about that now.

In the library, he focused on Albanian folklore regarding the reanimation of dead people and sought out anything that might give a clue as to how to put the corpses at rest or at the very least keep them at bay.
Library Use - success!,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3671987/]Library Use (45%) (1d100=33)[/url]
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

OOC: Greg versus the undead,Greg doesn't find anything specific about zombies in Albanian folklore. In Northern Albania there is something called a tarjazi which is where someone's soul is stolen by a evil wizard and replaced with a 'wild spirit, which then would seem to act like a zombie (mindless rather than Brains!, brains!type'), unless ordered to do so as by the evil wizard.

Return to “Chapter 1 - The Girl With Fire in Her Eyes”