IC - CH1 - The Library - Liz & Jacob

Moderator: ghill

ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

IC - CH1 - The Library - Liz & Jacob

Post by ghill »

OOC: Library use,What exactly are Liz and Jacob trying to research, remember broad topics will take less time but wont necessarily be as accurate or meaningful as a more tightly constrained search. All searches take time if you both conduct search on the same topic it will take less time.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: IC - CH1 - The Library - Liz & Jacob

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I already looked into the modern history of the Verbetoi and their criminal ties last night," says Liz. She shares her findings with Jacob. "I'd like to look into their origins next. Where did they come from? How did they get started? I'm also curious about their religion, and their gold-loving god Verbti. Perhaps you'd like to look into that?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years

Post by royya »

I found the following information a day ago
Jacob replies to Liz
A similar sigil to the one we saw on our arms is found in an early Babalonian text scribed to summoning and binding an Effrit. I tried to find some info on the internet but was unsuccessful. Let us try in the library as she holds books and material that there is a chance that no one uploaded to the net.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

OOC: Confirming,Liz - Is looking for everything you can find on ther Verbti's origins. Sounds as though Jacob is being a bit more specific but I'm unsure what exactly he's looking for - connections between the tatoos you've seen and magic of some kind?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Yes, that's right as far as [b]Liz[/b] is concerned.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Liz doesn't have any problems finding books on the topic infact her table is soon covered with different texts. The problem arises over the fact everyone has a slightly different oppinion on the matter and making sense of the differing views takes her most of the day.

The Verbti claim they precede the arrival of the ancient Illyrians to the Balkan region. They claim it was their ancestors who passed their knowledge of metal work and the domestication of horses to the Illyrians.

Current theories about the origin of the Verbti differ greatly. This is unsurprising as academics continue to debate the origins of the Albanian people, data drawn from historical texts (Justin, Polybius, Strabo, Ptolemy, etc) as well as linguistic, archaeological, and anthropological studies suggests the Albanians are the descendants of the ancient Illyrians. Most mainstream historians identify the Verbti with the Illyrians. This is certainly an easy theory to agree with as the Illyrians were a broad ill-defined group of peoples who inhabited much of the western Balkans.

In truth the Illyrian theory does little to clarify matters. Some academics point to Pliny’s Natural History in which when speaking of the “Illyri proprie dicti” ("Illyrians properly so-called") Pliny explicitly excludes the Verbti. Adding “they preceded the Illyrians and were like, but not of the Thracian Stock, both wild and uncivilised. Only their horses and metalwork were handsome”. Interesting also, the ancient Greek historian and geographer Strabo documented both the Illyrian and Thracian tribes, but does not include the Verbti among either.

Some pre-historians support the Verbti argument that they predate both Illyrians and Thracians, going so far as to claim the Verbti might be a pre Eneolithic (post Stone Age, pre-Bronze Age) culture. Archaeologists however, are quick to point out the lack of physical evidence to support this theory. Adherents to the Eneolithic argument however point to the Verbti's migration into the area, and claim that the evidence is to be found elsewhere ( - this claim doesn't go so far as to say where the evidence might be).

Some historians observe that the Verbetoi are as notable in their absence as by inclusion in matters of historical import, in Baxter’s “Ancient Tribes of the Balkans (Oxford University Press 1915) he perhaps unkindly notes “no other people have done less to influence history”.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Also while Jacob is doing his research he is interrupted by a phone call by Andrew Milton the private investigator he asked to do some off the record research for him.

"OK so I have details for the two killed in London. Nothing really out of the ordinary about the two people killed they still haven't been identified but that isn't surprising considering we're talking about a leg and a torso. Forensics guys couldn't understand how complete the cremation was without the factory and everything in it being consumed by the fire as well. So there was some question about wether a special accelerant had been used but it there was it was totally expended because no trace was found.

They weren't actually classified as murders because the corroner couldn't actually determine the precise cause of death, because everything was burnt away. They'd both been extensively tattood...
he pauses clearly to read something off a note "in what was described a tribal or ethnic style, which is just a way to say there were no roses or swallows or anchors or love mum. Thats about it I'm afraid everything else is pretty much in the public domain.
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Thanks you very much Andrew, you have been a great help, as always.
Jacob hangs-up and turns to Liz
I suspect that according to my sources the victims who died in the fire in the factory were part of this ethnic tribe, the Verbetoi.
He ponders a little bit more and add
I believe that they must have a secret place in London ... we must find this place if we want more answers.
Last edited by royya on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

OOC:Victims,My bad for calling them persons, but its already been noted previously both victims were female - one child, one teen or young adult.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, I hope Jason is able to spot them at the McDonalds and track them down," says Liz. She shares what she's learned in her research and emails it to the rest of the group.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

OOC: Jacob,I'm still unsure exactly what information Jacob is looking for in the library?
OOC: Liz,Still has some time before the Library closes to do further research.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm going to look into the Verbetoi's religion next," says Liz. "I particularly want to find out about their worship of their god Verbti, for whom it seems they're named, and why gold is so important to them."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Liz quickly finds there are a number of issues looking at the Verbetoi's religion, firstly what knowledge of the Verbetoi religion seems to be based on archaeological remains as well as very dated written resources stemming from missionary work conducted during the Middle Ages. The Verbetoi are very secretive about the workings of their religion and do not share its secrets with outsiders. The key thing which accademics find interresting is that the Verbetoi's belief system differs drastically from the various ethnic and religious groups around them nor is it similar to that of any other Balkan cultural groupings.

Some ethnologists have compared their religion to that of the Vedic Indo-Aryans and the pre-Zoroastrian Iranians. In as much as there is a creator deity, known only as the "king" whose name is derived from the Verbetoi word meaning 'to hold court'; this king however is not worshipped directly as he is a being so pure even the Verbetoi's prayers would sully him. There are a number of other deities and spirits foremost among who is Verbti. The Verbti pantheon is thus one of the last living representatives of Indo-European religion along with Hinduism and Zoastroism.

Gold seems to be of importance because it is the colour of fire and the sun and is the purest of metals.

the man Greg has gone to see, has written some pieces on this subject but none are currrently available in the library.
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Jacob mind is blank for now so he helps Liz in hope for a new notion to pop up
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz shows Jacob what she's found and emails her findings to the others as well. To Greg, she asks him to question his colleague about the Verbetoi's religion and, if possible, to get copies of his books. She also suggests that he find out the significance of fire to the Verbetoi.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Greg responds to say he is on the way back to London. He was unable to get copies of the books He did however find out about fire - Verbti is a fire god he is often portrayed as a living flame, also flame is a purifying element.

Jason responds at the end of the day to report he hasn't seen any sign of the man or a vehicle matching the description they have. However the McDonalds car park is clearly used for drugs sales, although not by the verbetoi as far as he can tell. He then adds that he's been called away on another investigation and will have to leave you to it for the time being.
OOC:,Please feel free to see the end of Greg's current thread all of which he'll tell you when he returns. Likewise Clay's when its done.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Any luck finding anything?" Liz asks Jacob. "It might be helpful to learn about the Verbetoi's language. I'm sure it would take a long time to learn, but at least we could pick up a few important words and find out which other languages it's similar to."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Its late in the day and there is little additional research which can be done. However, what Jacob and Liz do find out is the Verbti seem to use Albanian in their everyday dealings with the world and their own language for internal or religious matters. There are no texts about the language per se.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think that's about all we can accomplish here for today," says Liz. "Let's go meet the others and compare notes."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Jacob:

I wonder if they are registered as a religious group or a community, perhaps a voluntary association of some sort, gathering donations from others. We can search for the neighborhood in London where the Albanian community is living.

Return to “Chapter 1 - The Girl With Fire in Her Eyes”