CH1-7 Talking to James Sprigs

Moderator: ghill

ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

CH1-7 Talking to James Sprigs

Post by ghill »

The old man walks around the side of the house and opens the back door into a tiny kitchen.

"Go and sit down in the back room Yank, the gas fires on so its nice and warm. Spect you'd like coffee wouldn't you? Well sorry, but I can't abide the stuff and neither could my Elsie when she was alive, so its PG Tips or a glass of water"

The old man puts on the kettle and gives some sort of biscuit treat to the labrador which waddles into the next room and plonks itself down next to a roaring gas fire.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Re: IC - CH1 - Talking to James Sprigs

Post by ImpInTraining »

Greg obliges, trying to put his friendliest face on - remembering the lessons on bedside manner he had in school. "The name's Greg... and oh, that's ok... I'm not a big coffee drinker myself. Whatever you're having will be fine," he says to the man looking around the house. He makes his way back to the back room where the Labrador trotted off to. "I couldn't help but see that you were quite aggravated out there. Those policemen didn't seem the least bit interested, but I am. What's got you so riled up? Did that fire next door damage your house too?" He looks around the back room for photographs, particularly of this Elsie he mentioned - but of anything else that might be of interest as well.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

"Well I was giving that young copper a piece of my mind. Told him that if they came around when I asked them to this would never would have happened. I told them about those lads same time I rang them to tell em me roses had gone missing. I told them I did, I told them."
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"Excuse me?" Greg asked perplexed. "Your roses went missing? These men... were they foreigners?"
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Thats what I said, my roses went missing, they're prize winners you know. I phoned the police when it happened as well, if they'd come around when I asked then I could have told them about them four blokes who'd been hanging around the close. Three young lads in their twenties another old boy maybe in his fifties. I reckon they was Arabs, well definitely foreign. They were all dressed the same, cheap jeans and them funny thin leather jackets them foreigners wear. I reckon they were probably related, cos they all looked alike.

Car was one of those big four wheel drive gas guzzlers, I’d know it again, they’d had a shunt which left a big scratch down the driver’s side. I was going to give a bollocking about parking on the double yellows yesterday, but I had a look at the old boys face when he got out of the car and thought better of it. He wasn’t one I would have wanted a barney with, even in me younger days.”

They was prize winning roses an all.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Greg nodded, "Wow. Well, I can certainly understand why you're upset. I don't suppose you got the license plate number? Oh, and can I see where these roses were?"
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

"No didn't notice or if I did I forgot. The roses was right by the front gate"
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"I'd like to see... if you don't mind," Greg says to the man.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Outside there isn't much to see, someone has simply thrashed the heads off all the rosebushes the flowers haven't been taken the stems are broken and flowers and flower petals litter the floor. Greg would assume its simply a case of mindless vandalism.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Greg spends some time looking at the ground for shoe prints. He expects to find James Sprigs' shoes in the dirt, so he will look to see if there are two separate shoe tread. He will also look for any foreign matter - a torn piece of fabric... drop of blood... maybe some ectoplasm? Is any of the bush scorched? Doing his best Sherlock Holmes impression here. Investigating for clues isn't normally his thing, but he's going to try.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Greg spends 5 minutes looking around for clues but finds nothing which changes his initial oppinion that this is simply a case of petty vandalism.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Greg goes back to James accepting his tea and says, "Well, whoever it was, they certainly do not like roses. Tell me about the people next door, in the fire. Did you know them well?" He sips from the glass.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

"Well I don't really know the Tolkas well, you know other than to say hello to, they was nice enough folks I guess you know for foreigners. I always used to stop and have a chat over the garden gate with Odeta, you know whenever I was out walking Penny. She was a good church goer, just like my Elsie used to be."
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"Do you know... did they have any enemies? Were they afraid of someone finding them or maybe they had some bad history?" Greg asked, still wondering why they were targeted, or if it was just bad luck. He drank some of his tea and looked out through the window to see if he could see his friends out there.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

"Can't say as I do. I know Odeta thought that girl was trouble. I guess she was right."
OOC: Greg,Mr Sprigs house is not on the same close as the Tolka's home, when you followed him down the path you effectively left the close. You can make out the back of the house from Mr Sprigs back garden (yard).
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

ooc,Where is the rose bush in correlation to the Tolka's home? Would being in James' back yard give me any good view of the burnt house?
"Really, he did? How come?" Greg asked.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

"Odeta its a womans name and I can't say I rightly remember, I think she said something about her already being owned by someone. Odeta was Albanian just like the Tolkas, it was some old country thing. She'd already said as much to the Tolkas, I think they had an argument about it."
OOC:,No rose bushes are by the front gate. You can see the house from the back door though which is the door he let you into the house by. Jame's back garden is about two doors down from the Tolkas back garden.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"The police will probably figure she was brought in with some prostitution ring... but I think it's much darker than that," Greg confided in James. He finished his tea, stood and said "I would like to thank you for your time, conversation, and the tea, Mr. Sprigs. I do hope your rose bush recovers from the senseless vandalism." He fished out a business card and put it on the table, "If those men return or you think of anything else important, please give me a call anytime. But please, do not attempt to confront them yourself. They are dangerous men."
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

James looks at the card with some interrest. "Doctor heh, well if they do turn up Doc, I'll give you a ring." He waves the business card like a fan, then gestures out the window towards the ruins of the Tolka's house "But if I'm honest I reckon they got everything they wanted last night"
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"Yeah," Greg says, heading towards the door... "Until next time anyway." He leaves and heads back towards the others.

Return to “Chapter 1 - The Girl With Fire in Her Eyes”