CH1-5 OXO Tower - Greg only

Moderator: ghill

ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

CH1-5 OXO Tower - Greg only

Post by ghill »

Dr. Richard Ubani is a tall african man in his late sixties who reminds Greg of a slightly overweight Richard Roundtree. He is great company on both a personal and proffessional company and Greg enjoys himself so much that it is Dr Ubani who actually broaches the subject.

So Greg you said you had some questions about the two murdered women for your paper, what exactly did you want to know?
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Re: IC - CH1 - OXO Tower - Greg only

Post by ImpInTraining »

"Well," Greg starts off... "it is about a case that I believe you are familiar with." He pulls out copies of the newspaper articles he dug up a couple days ago and passes it over. "They might not have been classified as murders, but I have reason to believe otherwise. Something occultish, perhaps... Satanic cult or similar. And anything you could recall about the cases would really help with my research."
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Dr Ubani looks at the two articles discarding the Guardian one, he picks up the Evening Standard article and waves it at Greg. "You'd need to talk to the Hertfordshire Coroner for the other one. This one was mine however, very interresting case, very interresting.

OK so appart from the upper torso of the teenager and the leg of the older woman all the other remains were largely ashes. Now the first think which struck me and the forensics guys was we simply couldn't concieve how complete the cremation was without the factory and everything in it being consumed by the fire as well.

I mean the rests of the bodies were nothing more than ashes, totally cremated, yet the room were the fire occurred showed little evidence of the fire. The fire was confined to such a small area and so little damage done to the structure of the building its hard to believe the bodies were burnt there and yet the foresnics guy pulled samples of human fat of the walls and ceiling consistent with them having been burnt there.

Under the correct conditions the human body is combustable, there is enough fat and other inflammable substances to permit varying amounts of destruction to take place, but this, this was something else, this was almost total cremation and you need to generate temperatures in excess of 800 degrees centigrade to do that. Yet there was no sign of an accelerant on the bodies or in the room.

You couldn't classify them as murders, occult or otherwise. The extensive nature of the burns sustained precluded my determining the precise cause of death, I mean they could both have been shot in the head and I wouldn't have been able to tell. Whoever they were they'd both been extensively tattood. Understandably, it was almost impossible to identify the tattoos, If I remember they were all black and grey tonal, in a style which I believe is called tribal or ethnic, rather than traditional so no roses or swallows or anchors. Honestly, it was extremely hard to make any patterns out, I mean even the parts which were left had suffered third degree burns.

So not a good example for an occult murder, but probably a good one if you were doing a paper on spontaneous human combustion.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"So you are sure they did burn, but you're not sure about the cause of conflagration," Greg responded. "Was there an adequate amount of ash there to conclude that all of the body had been there at the time of burning? Was there anything else strange about the scenes or injuries? Did they ever find out who the victims were or where they were from? Was there anything to your knowledge linking the girl and the woman together?"
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

"Pretty much, other physical evidence along with the torso and the limb would seem to indicate the remains of two people of average height and weight were present. As far as I'm aware the police never identified the victims, and DNA tests didn't show any familial links."
OOC:,Feel free to question the Doctor further, when your finished we'll go first to [url=http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=192&t=2684&p=115409#p115409]home again, home again[/url]
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"Was that two people in addition to the one that burned... so three died from this fire?" Greg asked, then he rubbed his chin, "Was there anything else out of the ordinary about the surroundings? Unexplained burn marks perhaps further away from the incident?"
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

"As I explained the whole fire was the out of the ordinary, it was extremely localised"
OOC:,There were only two bodies or it would have been mentioned. NB the guy is whats called an expert witness, so he wont have missed out anything noteworthy, I'm not that mean :)
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"Thank you, Dr Ubani. Your help is very appreciated. If there is anything else pertaining to this story that comes to mind later, would you mind terribly giving me a call? Here's my mobile number..." Greg jots the number down on a blank sheet of paper and hands it to the man. "If this was an accident, or spontaneous combustion as you suggest, the police would have no reason to withhold the victims' names. Makes one think, does it not? What do they know about this that they hadn't let on?" He stood and shook Dr Ubani's hand, "Well, thank you for your time."
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

"No problem Greg, if I remember anything else I'll give you a ring. But what do you mean withhold the victims names? They never knew the victims names, how were we supposed to identify the victims off a torso and a foot, there were no fingerprints, no dental records, nothing! I mean look at the Adam case his body was discovered in 2001 and what, seven years later, they still don't know who he was"
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Greg lifted an eyebrow, "So I'm supposed to believe that London has so many people disappearing each day that they couldn't have narrowed this down considerably just based on the missing persons' reports from the past few days?" He shrugged, "I'm beginning to think your police in this great country could learn a thing or two just from watching CSI nightly. Regardless, thanks for your time."

Greg got a great idea at that time. He paused at the door and asked, "Do you know if missing persons reports are available for public access? Maybe I could do a little detective work and figure this out on my own?"
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Dr Urbani lifts both his eyebrows at Greg's remarks. "Greg I seriously hope you've done a bit more research into this subject than your remarks indicate. He smiles. You realise on average your own country the United States bury's or cremates 600 unidentifed human remains each year and at the moment upwards of 40,000 unidentified human remains exist in medical examiners and coroners' offices throughout the united states. The Girls were clearly East European almost certainly here illegally, almost certainly trafficked in to work as prostitutes, just who exactly do you think is going to report them missing" Dr Urbani pays the bill, then gets up. "... and if you think their families, then you clearly haven't done your research. If I hear of anything pertinent I'll drop you a line. Feel free to email me with any further questions you might have."
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Greg says, "I don't make generalizations like that. It's an assumption that they were here illegally and as prostitutes. The fact that they're East European narrows the search number down considerably. I don't plan on going back to missing persons for a year... I was thinking only a few weeks to a month at most because what I suspect happened to them was a lot quicker than the police (and perhaps yourself) suspect, which further narrows it down. If nothing really matches in that time frame, then perhaps you were right. In which case, it does indeed link these two women to something in common... and perhaps I can identify a similar link with the other instance. It's better than burying my head in the sand and claiming defeat."

He put on his hat and nodded, "Good day, sir."

Return to “Chapter 1 - The Girl With Fire in Her Eyes”