CH1-13 the tatoo artist.

Moderator: ghill

ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Re: IC - CH1 - the tatoo artist.

Post by ghill »

The man rattles something off in what may or may not be Albanian to his colleague. "No, not because you are white, because you and your piçkë are " again he says something not in English it sounds like "blegtori"
OOC: Rolls,Spot hidden and Psychology from both Greg and Liz please.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I guess they don't want to take your money, honey," says Liz. She doesn't notice anything unusual, nor can she understand why the two men are acting this way.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

Psychology - failed,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3411673/]Psychology(60%) (1d100=83)[/url]
Spot Hidden - failed,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3411671/]Spot Hidden(45%) (1d100=74)[/url]
Greg lifted an eyebrow, "God bless you... you should have a doctor look at that sneeze." he looked at Liz, "Suppose you're right, honey. I think I saw a nice parlor over by the library."

He reached in his pocket and pulled out the gold items he had purchased earlier and said, "We should stop by a pawn shop first so I can hock this stuff to pay for it." He made sure the two men saw the gold in his hand.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Casually glancing at the gold in Greg's hand the youg man says something to his colleague, the contempt in his voice quite clear. With a start Liz and Greg realise, while they been talking to the younger man, his older colleague has moved to stand only a few feet behind them. The older man stands casually with his hands in his pockets but looking suitable menacing all the same. He says nothing, but takes his left hand out of his pocket and makes an open handed gesture palm upwards, indicating the path away for them is clear.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Greg pocketed his gold and then nodded to the man behind them as he starts to leave, taking Liz by the arm. "Best be off before they cease their welcoming nature, dear." To the men he said over his shoulder as they were departing, "Sorry for the intrusion. Carry on."
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

The two men chatter to one another, then burst into laughter. Completely ignoring Greg and Liz they walk back to their car and resume their ciggarettes.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"Well, one thing is for certain, they're up to no good," Greg said to Liz and the others as they got back to the car. "I'll bet there's a girl in there getting defaced this very minute. We should just bust in, guns blazing."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You're probably right," says Liz, "but if we do that, we'll just get killed - or worse. We need a plan." She thinks for a moment, then takes out her laptop and powers it up. "There may be wi-fi hotspots on this block that I can scan for and tap into, connected to CCTV cameras. Most wi-fi is unencrypted because that's the default setting and a lot of people are too ignorant or lazy to set encryption up and turn it on, which means it could very well be wide open. Maybe the tattoo shop itself even has one. If we can get a view of the shop, or if we're really lucky even its interior, we could review the footage and see who's gone in and out of the shop. If the shop has its own network, we might even be able to see inside it and get access to other useful information. Maybe not, but it's worth a try."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

CCTV,Computer Roll please. If successful Liz manages to tap into three local CCTV cameras. The first is completely useless a static camera looking at the doorstep of a block of flats, the second is further up the street but has a clear view of the shop front when at full pan, in addition one of the shops has a camera which looks as though it is situated to cover the alley to the rear of the shops.
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by royya »

Jacob steps into the frame by playing an occasional pedestrian that walks by slowly, looking into the display window of the shop. He will pretend to speak in his cellular, discussing business as he walks by the pair of brutes, trying to listen if they speak English. If not, he will stand between shops, not far from Liz and Greg and continue his fictional cellular talk.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Liz's hands fly across the keyboard. "I'm in!" she says. "Let's see what we can see..." She brings up three windows and opens them side by side. One displays a live feed from the camera with the view of the front of the shop, the second displays a live feed of the alley in the rear, and the third she uses to sift through footage from both cameras, scanning for people coming and going from the tattoo shop. "You know, if we could trip the fire alarm in the tattoo shop, that would do the trick! Those guys would probably have to come outside then. Even if they didn't, the fire brigade would still show up and go in. If they do have a girl captive inside, they'd risk discovery."
OOC,Is there any way to use my computer access to set off a fire alarm in the building?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Greg responded, "They probably removed any sort of fire detection system or alarm, considering they like to burn people on the spot. Just saying..."

He asked the others, "Anyone know what a blegtori is? They called us that twice. I have a feeling it was quite derogatory."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm sure it is," says Liz. "I'm no linguist, but maybe it's a derogatory term for an outsider, much like 'gaijin' in Japanese."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"Can you look it up in another window?" Greg asks Liz. "Some sort of Algerian to English translator somewhere?"
lol,According to a translation program I found online, it means 'farming'. http://webtranslation.paralink.com/translator/
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

blegtori,A more appropriate translation would be beast, livestock. piçkë is a slang term for female genetalia.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You mean Albanian," says Liz. "Yeah, I can run it through Babelfish." She does so in a separate window and reports the results, then goes back to scanning the footage from the two cameras from earlier in the day while keeping an eye on the live feeds.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

"If you want to start a fire alarm why dont we throw a burning newspaper into the rubbish out the back or something." Says Clay "if the fire brigade call arson they'll have the cops around pretty sharpish as well."
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"They have an all points bulletin out for the missing girl, right?" Greg asks. "Why don't we just give an anonymous tip that she's inside and see what happens?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That's a possibility," says Liz, "but the police may take their time investigating the tip and might not be able to gain entry without cause. There are a couple of problems with setting a fire out back. First, that CCTV camera we're looking through would spot you doing it. I might be able to circumvent that, though. I could record a segment of footage while the alley is empty and then try to feed it back to the camera in a loop. As far as the camera's concerned, nobody will have ever been there. Of course, that doesn't mean there isn't another camera somewhere that I can't access. The other problem is that the fire brigade might not enter the shop if the fire is outside. If it were possible to sneak into the shop through the back and set the fire there, though, they'd have to go in. Then they'd have to look through the whole building, and bring in the police when they confirm arson."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Liz spends some time accessing the stored data for the cameras she has accessed:

The camera further up the street is able to show her the last 24 hours in 30 second hops. There are lights on in the flat above the shop at night, the car with the older man and the overly muscled younger man comes and goes during the day. A number of other cars arrive with a variety of men who enter the shop spending between ten minutes and a couple of hours in the shop before departing. Nothing suspcious it taken into the shop.

The camera covering the alley to the rear of the shops shows very little. At around 9pm last night an old woman came out carrying a large bag of trash which she dumping into a bin. She is watched by an old man from the doorway.

It is now early afternoon (approx 2pm) .

Return to “Chapter 1 - The Girl With Fire in Her Eyes”