IC-Chapter 1-The Cygnet Committee(Richard/Christopher)

Bill Johns and several other people attempt to understand the significance of the appearance of a new drug named Morpheus and its use in an experiment with college students as test subjects.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years

Re: IC-Chapter 1-The Cygnet Committee(Richard/Christopher)

Post by CrackheadC. »

"Well," Richard starts, "in this cabinet here it looks like someone put some thermoses - very similar to your Morpheus ones - and hid them there to remove later. That's just my guess though." Richard turns to Dr. Anderson, "Do you know what was in here before? Because otherwise I think someone might have found out they had the genuine article during the test and decided to smuggle it out."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"What?" said Dr. Anderson, heading over to the cabinet. "Let me see." He examined the thermoses. "No, that's where we keep the empty thermoses. The Morpheus in the fridge is in flasks, but I use the thermoses when I need to transport it. Brian took one of them to steal a dose the other day, but it looks like there's two more missing now. But all nine remaining doses were in the fridge. Why take the thermoses and leave them?" His brow furrowed in thought.
OOC,[b]Richard[/b], please roll Idea.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

"Hmm... maybe someone thought there might be some of the drug leftover on the inside of the thermoses you used to transport it - maybe someone is trying to recreate the drug with a sample. Or maybe..." Richard trails off for a moment as an idea comes to him.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

It occurred to Richard that since Morpheus and chocolate milk looked alike, how would he know that the flasks in the fridge really contained Morpheus?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

OOC,Aww come on, you are really just egging me on here.
"Hmm...." Richard thinks for a moment, "Doctor, is there any discernable difference between chocolate milk and Morpheus? I know they look the same and that's why you use it to dose the students. But would you be able to tell the difference between the two by smell or taste?" Richard added, "And if you have only a little sip, of the Morpheus would it have the same effect as the full dose as a knock out drug?"
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

"What I mean to say Doctor, is that I think someone pulled a switcheroo on you. I think what you have in the refrigerator might be chocolate milk and not the Morpheus." Richard walks back over the the fridge and pulls out a pair of flasks for the Doctor to examine.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Anderson's eyes widened. "They do taste different from the accounts of the test subjects," he said. "Each of them would be drinking one or the other exclusively, so they'd never know the difference. I don't want to ingest any myself, as even a small amount might impair me, but I can run some chemical tests on these doses to see if they're the real thing or not. I can do that while you talk to Miss Simmons. I should be done by the time you get back."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

"Right, that will be for the best. I suggest you let the company know if it turns out that more than just the one sample is missing." Richard heads to door, "And Dr. Anderson, be careful while you are here. We only know one thing for certain and that is that someone has an interest in this lab and Morpheus - some one besides the company. So if you leave, make sure you leave a note here in the lab or at your office. Otherwise I'll have to assume the worst."

Richard thought for a moment that for a moment that he might have been a little over dramatic, but his solder's instincts reassured him. He just wanted to be finished with the just with as little hassle as possible and if that means scaring the Doctor into being a little more cautious than so be it.

With nothing else to learn from the lab, Richard headed to girl's dormitory to meet Miss Simmons.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Dr. Anderson nodded. "I'll be here when you get back," he said as Richard left.

Girls' Dormitory, University of Pennsylvania
11:00 AM - Thursday, July 17, 1969

Richard soon reached the girls' dorm, an ivy-coated two story building with a tree-lined walk. He walked through the front doors of the dormitory building and into the lobby. A middle aged woman with blonde hair sat behind a desk. "Can I help you, sir?" she asked.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

"Yes, Thank you. I am looking for Miss Simmons. I'm Richard Cane with the science department. I have follow up questions for her involving a sleep study she took part in for Dr. Anderson."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, male visitors are not allowed in the dorm, Mr. Cane," said the woman. "She's probably not here at the moment anyway. You're best off trying to find her in class or at the cafeteria at lunchtime."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

"I don't really need to go in to see her. It's only a few simple questions, I could easily ask them out here if I can't go in. I only ask because 'probably' isn't 'definitely', maybe you could go and check her dorm, or call the room if she has a phone? If I have to figure out her course schedule, then check in any class she could be in, or wander around the cafeteria that could take hours longer than it need to - especially if she happens to be in her room right now." Richard smiles earnestly, "Could you at least check to make sure she isn't here before I go?"
OOC,Here is a failed fast talk roll. I'm hoping I don't actually need it. I'm not really asking for the moon here and we both do work for the university. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3591002/]Fast Talk 5% (1d100=55)[/url]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm sorry, sir," said the woman, who did not sound at all sorry. "There are no telephones in the dorm rooms, and I cannot leave my post. Neither can I let you inside. We have rules for a reason, and I have to enforce them. I'm pretty sure I saw Miss Simmons leave earlier this morning, if it helps."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Richard sighs, "If you say so Ma'am. If she comes back and hasn't talked to me could you at least direct her towards Dr. Anderson's lab? I mean I'm sure it won't be breaking the rules for you to relay a message." Richard tried to hide the contempt in his voice. His years in the military had given him the idea that the world should work like a well-oiled machine, you work together and you get things done - if you needed a favor you could get one as long as you are able to return it. A company, a university, any job really, worked like the military - sure their were rules and regulations, but you did what needed to get done and you didn't get into other people's ways.

Richard leaves for the cafeteria, more than a little annoyed.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"If I see her, I'll let her know," said the woman as Richard left and headed for the cafeteria.
OOC,[b]RIchard[/b], please roll Idea.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

On the way to the cafeteria a thought occurred to Richard.
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3592012/]Idea Roll 70% (1d100=45)[/url]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Richard realized that he had never gotten a physical description of Emily Simmons, and he was unlikely to find her without one. He could walk right past her and never know it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Richard shakes his head and turns back around to the girl's dormitory to the desk worker. "Sorry to bother you again, but it occurred to me that I don't know what Miss Emily Simmons looks like. I was just told to get her for Dr. Anderson and I guess we both overlooked that important detail. Could you give me an idea of who I am looking for?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The woman frowned suspiciously. "I thought you knew her," she said. "Well, she's got long blonde hair, average height and build."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

"Lady, I work with the science department and I'm not a teacher. I wouldn't know a tenth of these students from Adam. I just do what I'm told, but thanks for the description anyway." Richard left again. It shouldn't be too hard to find a completely average blonde girl, Richard thought. "Ugh, something about that lady just rubbed me the wrong way." Richard grumbled as he made his way to the cafeteria.

Return to “Chapter 1”