Page 1 of 1

IC-Chapter 1-The Cygnet Committee(Richard/Christopher)

Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:19 am
by Mr. Handy
David Rittenhouse Laboratory, University of Pennsylvania
10:00 AM - Thursday, July 17, 1969

Richard Cane sat behind his desk in the Math/Physics/Astronomy library on the third floor of the David Rittenhouse Laboratory where he worked. The library was fairly empty at the moment. The only other person currently present was Professor Christopher Harland, an astrophysics professor who was a frequent visitor to the library for obvious reasons. He had come this morning to do some research for a paper he was writing on black holes. Richard and Christopher were friends, of sorts - if Christopher could be said to have any friends. Richard had learned a lot about astronomy from the professor since the previous year, when he had started working in the library, and the professor had in turned learned some things about computers from him.
OOC,Feel free to interact. I'll get you started with the plot when the time comes.

Re: IC-Chapter 1-The Cygnet Committee(Richard/Christopher)

Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:35 am
by CrackheadC.
As Richard absentmindedly flipped through a book on the history of firearms, his topic de jour, he stopped at the chapter on rifling. He was wearing a pair of tan slacks, a freshly pressed white shirt and his black tie, still knotted, hung loosely around his neck. Richard's red hair had about a month of growth on his last high n' tight haircut, but it was still presentable - far more presentable than some of the students wandering around the school. Richard had definitely relaxed a bit since getting out of the military, but the Marines stick with you long after you are gone.

"You see, Chris. This is math and science that makes sense, like electricity. Accuracy, distance, and power all increased by proper rifling in the gun barrel." Richard tapped his book as he made his point, "And now you're trying to tell me that there are spots of...nothing, in space, that eat everything that gets near them. And it's all just gone?" Richard was a smart guy, a curious student, and good for a decent conversation - but sometimes his weak spots showed through significantly. He wasn't ashamed to admit to what he didn't know or understand.

Edit:
OOC,Thanks for getting this start, I hope things are going better for you Mr. Handy. I wanted to know, did you still intend to do the 2 or 3 secret pm'd to us about our characters?

Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:10 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I still haven't slept much, but I have hope that things will get better in June. I don't intend to send secrets via PM. Instead, the information will be revealed in the IC thread.

Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:15 am
by Cyberpunk
Christopher muttered to himself as he scanned over the books. Writing on a nearby notepad, the professor shook his head, scrubbing his black hairs with the other hand. The Physicists was simply left stumbled at the thought of singularities – such an interesting subject matter which, while explainable logically, simply made no sense mathematically. Numerous equations filled his notepad, many scribbled out only to be rewritten, and scribbled out yet again. How fickle he was.

”Not exactly nothing. If we use that approach, there’ll always be the slightest of confusion. There is something, but it is, for all practical purposes, infinitely small. It is something, but we cannot see it, light cannot escape.” The physicist lifted a sheet of paper, and drawn upon it were several lines which, quite frankly, appeared to be simply that, lines, ”It’s not gone at all, no, but that would truly be interesting. It tears things apart. Even atoms.”

Leaning back in his chair, Christopher sighed, closing his eyes for some moments as a headache caused his head to throb. Despite his love for physics, the fine art was a bit heavy on the mind. ”You are right. Electricity, guns, all that make much more sense. But that’s why I find it dull. I prefer the things that simply do not make sense, the things that defy explanation. Why do you think I’m learning about computers from you?” he said with a chuckle.

Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:54 am
by CrackheadC.
"Okay, the things aren't gone. I guess that works with that rule you told me - matter can't be destroyed - so it goes somewhere or is changed. Still it's a pretty scary idea. I can practically feel your headache from here." Richard leans back on his chair legs, "Sometimes things in life need to be a little more simple. Think about how much work you'd get done with a computer that can do all the math for you and the science-ing up to you."

Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:26 am
by Cyberpunk
Christpher shook his head as he took another look over the scribblings on his paper. With a sigh of resign, he dropped his pencil on the table and turned his chair towards Richard. ”That would be quite a bit easier. But it would make me feel a bit uneasy. What if the computer makes a mistake in the math?”

The professor stood for a moment and stretched, interlocking his fingers as he rose both arms high. Stretching simply felt so good, but he never knew why. Christopher felt rather light headed from the quick standing and sat back in the chair, nearly losing balance as he let himself drop rather fastly.

Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:42 am
by CrackheadC.
"Well I suppose if you have a smart guy put the right formulas in once the computer will spit it out right every time. Then you just adjust it here and there if you need to try something new." Richard knew computers, how to use them, the electrical end, all the parts and what they do, but he didn't really have the mind for the programming aspect.

When Christopher flopped back down into his chair Richard looked up. "Careful now, you know that sitting around here too long will give you a headrush." Richard closed his book and stood up. He paced around his desk a few times and yawned. "Did you eat breakfast? I only had a coffee, but I'm starving."

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:50 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Cyberpunk had to withdraw from the game, so I am writing [b]Christopher[/b] out at this point. He could still be reintroduced later if things change.
"No, I didn't get breakfast either," said Christopher. "I think I'll head out and pick some up. I know you have to stay here while you're on the job, so I'll bring you back something. See you later." He left the library.

A few minutes later, a familiar figure entered the library, one that Richard had never expected to see again. Curtis Farrell, a CIA man he had worked with at Khe Sanh, looked much the same as he had last year, the last time Richard had seen him. Curtis was a short, bald man with glasses that concealed deeply penetrating dark eyes. He didn't look at all like a spy, which was somewhat of an asset in the intelligence business. He looked like he would be more at home in this library than out in the field. He wore a black suit and tie, and he strode up to Richard's desk after looking to make sure nobody else was around. "Good morning, Major Cane," he said, sticking out his hand. Then he uttered the words that Richard had dreaded hearing from him. Even before they were out of his mouth, he was half expecting them. "Your country needs you."

Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:48 am
by CrackheadC.
Richard shakes Curtis' hand warily. There was no reason to lose all semblance of civility just because the man was about to ruin his life again. Richard sighed, that wasn't fair to Curtis, he was just a messenger with a familiar face - one that could talk to Richard more calmly than someone he didn't know. Plus he was good people - he helped a lot at Khe Sanh. It was the people that Curtis represented that were the problem - they were the ones that were definitely going to pull the rug out on his life again. The worst part is knowing that this is only a courtesy. All the gears are surely in motion and they are just telling Richard that he is going. There is no refusal; not in these days of 'secret communists' and everyone who shows a little dissent suddenly being a Soviet sleeper agent.

"It's good to see you again Farrell, I wish it could have been under better circumstances."
Richard takes a step back, but stands at attention. "So, what does our dear Uncle Sam need with me this time? He is aware that I have done my duty right? That I have done more than most men's entire family lines have done and will do." Richard keeps his anger and frustration in check. The tension is there and noticeable, but once he volunteers or is 'voluntold' for his duty he won't be able to second guess his government. Even if second-guessing and cursing them was all he did in Vietnam.

Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:13 am
by Mr. Handy
"Yes, we're well aware of the great work you've done," said Curtis. "That's one of the reasons I was sent to contact you. I know you've been discharged from your duty, but once a Marine, always a Marine, right? Don't worry, this won't be dangerous like the stuff we did in 'Nam, and no travel is required. You were selected because you happen to be ideally placed and we know that you're dependable."

Curtis pulled over a chair, spun it around so its back was to Richard, and straddled it backwards, crossing his arms on the chair back and leaning forward on it. "Some of this is going to sound like hooey," he continued. "Hell, I thought it was too when I first heard about it. But they gave me a pretty convincing demonstration. Maybe it was some kind of stage magician's trick, but I can't figure out how they did it if it was. Tell me, do you know anything about remote viewing?"
OOC,[b]Richard[/b], please make an Occult roll to see if you do know anything.

Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:54 am
by CrackheadC.
"Glad to know it's just because I'm a convenient asset." Richard pulled up his own chair and sat down.

"I can't say that I know what remote viewing is. Is it something like using computers to look at photographs?" Richard leaned forward, his interested piqued.

Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:26 am
by Mr. Handy
"No, nothing like that," said Curtis. "Naturally, none of what I tell you leaves this room. Remote viewing is looking at a location without actually being there, using the power of one's mind. I know it sounds nuts, but the men at the top are convinced it can be done. The Soviets are working on it, and so we need to work on it too. You can see what an asset it would be for intelligence if it can be done."

He paused and scracthed his chin, then continued. "One of the professors here at Penn, Dr. Gregory Anderson, is a CIA asset. He has developed a drug which he calls Morpheus that he believes can allow someone to engage in remote viewing while asleep. He's running some tests here on it, using student volunteers. They don't know the true purpose of the experiment. As far as they know, the drug is supposed to enable lucid dreaming - the ability to control one's dreams. It's supposed to do that too, but there's more to it than that. The first round of tests were a couple of weeks ago, and everything went fine with only minor setbacks. The second round is due to start tomorrow night and last all weekend. But there have been some worrying developments. Dr. Anderson's son Brian was arrested last night for dealing drugs, and he had stolen a sample of Morpheus. The cops got their hands on it, and they claim one of their officers drank it. Now they're poking around, which might draw undue attention. There have been other worrying signs. A campus security guard reported seeing a prowler last night inside the biomedical building where Dr. Anderson has both his lab and his office. The guard chased the guy, but he got away, and he never got a good look at him. The burglar was short, maybe a kid, and he escaped on a bicycle. Maybe it was just someone pulling a prank or looking to make a buck. But maybe it's something more. The timing is a bit suspicious."

Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:14 am
by CrackheadC.
Richard took in everything Curtis was saying. He looked away from Curtis as he spoke, but leaned his right ear towards him - a sign that he was listening more intensely than normal. "So you are saying that the higher ups think that it is possible to perform some sort of invisible surveillance on a place while you are asleep. And they think it is possible to actually affect the real world while using this drug. Let's ignore for a moment the fact that this would almost certainly result in some sort of assassination version of M.A.D." Richard turned back towards Curtis, "What you're saying is that the CIA has an advanced science research asset here, as well as... valuable resources that they have been testing on students." Richard grimaced, "Come on Curtis. You saw what that Agent Orange stuff did first hand. None of us knew what we were walking into - Vietcong or GIs. The idea what they would just throw caution to the wind again is...discomforting to say the least."

Richard
counts off on his fingers, "Let's get this straight. 1. CIA research is stolen by the son of the asset. 2. The asset's son is arrested by regular police officers with the mystery drug. 3. One of the officers ingests the drug - which by the way is complete amateur hour. 4. And finally there is a evidence of someone either casing the lab to break in, or preparing to break in. Sure they could steal anything in there to make money, but when you have kids on campus taking the drug and it is becoming Philly's worst kept secret, it is doubtful that is something else." Richard ends on his last finger.

"Did I miss anything? What do you want me to do about this? And why should I help Uncle Sam again anyway?"
Richard was pretty sure he had no options here, but perhaps the government did have something he wanted - or at least would make an offer for his work. It was the least they could do for him, instead of bullying him around like some pawn.
OOC,On the off chance you don't remember,MAD stands for Mutually Assured Destruction. The hot button thing of the cold war nuclear arms race.
Edit,Fixed formatting issues.

Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:17 am
by Mr. Handy
"They believe the drug might be used for invisible surveillance, yes," said Curtis, "but not that it can actually affect the real world. There have been no results to indicate that it could. No, its purpose is observation only. Still quite valuable in our line of work. Other than that, you've summed it up nicely. I'm skeptical of the police saying that one of theirs ingested the drug, which is why I used the word 'claim.' I find it hard to believe that they could be that stupid. It's possible that they just said that in order to keep it. Morpheus is not illegal since nobody's even heard of it, so they have no legal justification to hold onto it and would be obligated to return it to its rightful owner, Dr. Anderson. The other drugs that his son had on him were most certainly illegal and enough to send him to jail for some time. He had attempted to sell the Morpheus, but nobody had bought it before his arrest.

"The drug has been tested safely on animals before there was any human testing. Human testing, however, is essential, as animals cannot tell us their dreams. Every possible precaution is taken to ensure the students' safety, and they all are required to sign waivers in order to participate in the experiment. They do not know what the drug is, and they do not get to take it with them. The conditions are carefully controlled. That's one reason I was sent to recruit your help, to ensure that the second round of experiments are carried out safely and without disruption.

"Why should you help Uncle Sam again? Patriotism is a pretty good reason in my book. Do you really want the Reds having such a huge advantage over us if they're able to complete their research first - or to steal ours? And to emphasize the benefits of capitalism, you will be generously compensated for your assistance. Your mission, if you decide to accept it, will be to investigate these strange happenings around the experiment and get to the bottom of any interference or espionage you find, as well as to safeguard it and ensure that it goes off without a hitch and to make sure that secrets stay secret. Talking to Dr. Anderson would be a good start. He's Company too, so you can speak to him about all of this. He knows a lot more than I do. You'll be able to contact me to report on your progress and to ask for information that I have access to, but the Company can't help you beyond that. It's not legal for the CIA to conduct operations on American soil. That's where you come in. We really do not have anyone else who can do this on such short notice. I know you figured you were out of this life, Richard, and I'm sorry I have to drag you back into this, but there wasn't any choice. I'm just the messenger here, anyway. I serve the same masters you once did. All of this is completely unofficial, of course. This conversation never happened. As always, if you are caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions," he added with an amused expression, paraphrasing the oft-repeated line from the beginning of episodes of Mission: Impossible. "What do you say? Can we count on you?"

Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:50 am
by CrackheadC.
Richard thinks about it for a bit before answering. "I'll do it, but on two conditions. First, if I die or something happens I want the money to go to my next of kin - if I go, I don't want this to be for nothing. And two, and most importantly, when this is done - I'm done. No more 'One last jobs' or anything. It's this and that is it." Richard looks Curtis in the eye before continuing, "I love my country, never let it be said that I don't, but a man can only give so much. And I'm at my limit."

Richard stands up, "I assume this job will be taken care of while I work, or should I expect to look for another job when I'm finished working for The Company?"

"I guess, I should start with Dr. Anderson. Do you know where he is?"

Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy
"Agreed," said Curtis. "I was half-joking at the end there. We don't expect this job to be dangerous, but you never know what could happen, especially if foreign agents turn out to be involved. It's been arranged for someone to cover for you for the rest of today and tomorrow for 'personal leave.' You don't work here during the weekend anyway, so that's free. The experiment ends early Monday morning, so everything should be over by then one way or another, and you should be able to report here for work that same day. Thank you for helping, Richard. This really means a lot.

"Dr. Anderson's office is Room 322 in John Morgan Hall." Richard hadn't spent much time in the biomedical building, but he knew where it was. "He was attending his son's arraignment earlier this morning at 9:00, but he should be back in his office by the time you get there." Curtis took a familiar-looking electronic gadget out of his suit's pocket, along with a business card with a phone number on it and nothing more, and he handed both to Richard. "This is a scrambler, the latest model. If you need to get in touch with me, call the number on the card. A girl who works for us will answer and say 'Blattstein, Morris, and Stewart.' You will identify yourself as 'Floyd Jarvis' and ask to speak to 'Lewis Black.' She will respond 'Hold, please' and place you on hold. While you're on hold, hook up your scrambler and she'll hook up hers. When she picks up again, you may speak freely."

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:40 am
by CrackheadC.
"Got it. You Company men and your secret codes. Seriously." Richard grabs his things and heads to the door before turning around and extending his hand to Curtis. "You're a good man Curtis. Keep up the fight and with luck we won't be seeing each other again." Richard gives Curtis a brief salute and heads out the door to the science facility.

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy
John Morgan Hall, School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania
10:30 AM - Thursday, July 17, 1969

"Thanks again, Richard," said Curtis, gripping his hand firmly and shaking it. "Good luck."

Richard left the library and made his way across campus to John Morgan Hall, which housed the School of Medicine. It contained laboratories, classrooms, and faculty offices. He passed through the lobby, where a handful of students and professors were passing through on their way to and from classes. Stairs led up to the upper floors, and a hallway led back toward classrooms and labs on this floor. A bulletin board was posted on the wall on the left side of the lobby, with notices and flyers stuck to it with pushpins and thumbtacks.

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:15 am
by CrackheadC.
Richard stopped, taking a moment to look at the bulletin board for anything of interest and to give himself a moment to think about what he will say to Dr. Anderson.

After a few seconds scanning the board, Richard will make his way to Dr. Anderson's office - following any necessary maps or signs to get there.

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:59 am
by Mr. Handy
Richard noticed a flyer on the bulletin board that drew his attention:
Undergraduate and Graduate Volunteers Needed for Psychology Experiment
Earn $50.00 For Your Participation
We are seeking undergraduate and graduate students for a psychological experiment about sleep and dreams. The study will last three consecutive nights, and volunteers will need to sleep in the lab overnight. Participants will need to arrive at John Morgan Hall, Room 110 at 8:00 PM and will stay until approximately 8 to 10 AM the morning after, depending upon when they awaken. Snacks will be provided in the evenings, and breakfast in the mornings. The study will be conducted twice, from Thursday, July 3 through Sunday, July 6 and from Friday, July 18 through Monday, July 21. To volunteer, please contact Dr. Gregory Anderson, either in person at his office in Room 322 during normal office hours or by telephone at 5-2009.
The phone number must have only had five digits because the first two digits for the University's exchange had been assumed.

Richard headed upstairs, figuring that Room 322 would be on the third floor. He climbed two flights of stairs to get there, and it didn't take him long to find the door to Room 322. However, there was a sheet of paper taped to the door that read:
Professor Anderson's office hours are canceled today (Thursday, July 17). Please see Assistant Professor Nancy Remington in Room 325 if you require assistance. We apologize for the inconvenience.
However, he could see light coming from under the door.

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:19 am
by CrackheadC.
Richard took the bulletin notice with him as he went upstairs. He almost left to find a phone when he saw the notice on Dr. Anderson's door, but when he saw the light under the door he knocked instead. "Dr. Anderson? My name is Richard Cane. I work in the Science and Math library in the Rittenhouse Lab. I need to talk to you for a moment."

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:51 am
by Mr. Handy
The door was opened by a tall, confident man in his upper forties, his brown hair streaked with hints of gray. A full beard covered his chin, and he wore glasses. "Ah, good," he said. "Our mutual friend told me to expect you. Come on in." He stood aside to allow Richard to enter. The office looked standard, with sunlight streaming in through the window at the back. A desk occupied the center of the room, with a leather chair behind it and another, less expensive chair in front of the desk and facing it. The desktop contained a blotter, a typewriter, a telephone, a lamp, and baskets labeled "IN" and "OUT." The baskets contained various papers. A short filing cabinet stood at the rear of the room beneath the window, and the sides of the office were lined with bookshelves filled with numerous books.

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:40 am
by CrackheadC.
"It's nice to meet you Dr. Anderson." Richard extends his hand to shake before he takes a seat. "So it seems like your current research project is hitting quite a number of hiccups and I was asked to help sort them out and keep things smooth until you finish up."

Richard watches the Doctor carefully, trying to get a handle on his current disposition and general attitude as he talks. "So lets start simple, is there anything you can tell me about your project that our friend might not have told me? And after that, we can talk about your security problems."

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:23 am
by Mr. Handy
Dr. Anderson shook Richard's hand firmly, then sat behind his desk, steepling his fingers. "Yes, there is plenty that I know about my project that our friend wouldn't," he said, "as I've designed and organized it from the beginning. i could go on for hours about it, so you might want to ask me specific questions to which you want to know the answers. Our security problems are my main concern right now. I only got back to the office about ten minutes ago, and I've already discovered an alarming security breach. I keep my research notes here, and I've just discovered that some of them are missing: most notably the accounts of the test subjects' dreams, but also some of the technical data and other important information. Now, I do have another copy of all of that stored in a safe place, but the fact that someone has been in my office and gotten their hands on my notes at all is disturbing. There was no sign of forced entry, either. This may be connected to that prowler that was spotted by campus security in the building last night."
OOC,[b]Richard[/b], please roll Psychology.

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:43 am
by CrackheadC.
Richard couldn't get much of a read on Dr. Anderson other than he thought the guy was a bit of a jerk.

"Well since you seem to be a man short on time I'll combine my questions. What are the side effects of the drug? Specifically have you seen anything that would suggest addiction, cravings, or violence - in your human or animal testings?"
Richard takes out a notebook to jot down his questions and answers, "Secondly, have you used Morpheus yourself?"

"Moving on to the other security issues, what use would that data be to an outsider? Was the technical data something that would help synthesize the drug elsewhere?"
Richard turned to a new page and continued, "Who would have access to this office? Yourself, the department head, cleaning personnel, and I assume someone from the company? What about your kid?"

"I'm sure by now you know that your kid was picked up selling drugs last night and that he was carrying Morpheus. Before you worry about the sample getting out, some idiot cop 'drank' it. What are the odds that the prowler was your son stealing the drug?"

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy
"Morpheus is not physically addictive and does not produce cravings," said Anderson. "It is possible that a user will enjoy the experience and desire it again, however. It does not cause people to become violent. If anything, it produces a calming effect that will quickly put the drinker to sleep for several hours. There is the possibility of hallucinatory aftereffects, though I'll need more data to determine this. One of the test subjects from the first round of the experiment recently crashed her car into a store, though luckily nobody was hurt. She claimed that she was being pursued by monsters. Still, this happened over a week after she had last taken Morpheus. I have never taken Morpheus myself.

"An outsider could conceivably use the data to recreate the formula for Morpheus, though not all of the data were taken. I'm still not sure why some notes were taken and others were left behind. The formula for Morpheus is very complex, and it has a number of rare ingredients, but it could be manufactured by others with the right knowledge at great effort and expense. Other than myself, Assistant Professor Nancy Remington also has a key to the office. She is my assistant on this project, though she is unaware of our backers' true identities. All she knows is that we have a government grant. The head of the department has a key yes, as do the cleaners and our friend Mr. Farrell. Brian had access to my lab until yesterday, which is how he obtained a sample of Morpheus - and I was informed of what happened to it in the end - but not to my office. I had changed the locks on the lab yesterday, and the keys were delivered to my office. I found them here when I arrived this morning, undisturbed.

"I know what you're thinking, but it's quite impossible for Brian to have broken in here last night. He has the perfect alibi - he was in jail at the time of the break-in. He only got out on bail a little over an hour ago. Also, the security guard said that the burglar was short, while Brian is tall. Still, I don't know who Brian might have told."

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:55 am
by CrackheadC.
"At this time though, what Morpheus does and doesn't do in terms of side-effects is just guessing though. I doubt you did a study on side-effects with the lab rats. It is a little disturbing that one of the students was having hallucinogenic flashbacks though."

When they were talking about his son and the lab, Richard asked, "Have you noticed any of the supply missing before, and could anyone have access to the rest of the notes that weren't taken? Perhaps the assistant?"

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:27 am
by Mr. Handy
"We did actually look for side effects during the animal experimentation phase," said Anderson, "but it was more difficult as the subjects could not describe their symptoms. The only side effect that's been confirmed during animal or human testing is drowsiness. I'm not sure that the girl's hallucinations were due to the Morpheus at this point, or if there was some other cause. Granted, she does not seem the type to use hallucinogens recreationally, but there may be some factor at work here besides the Morpheus of which we're unaware. That's why I need more data. I never said they were flashbacks either, though in one of her Morpheus-induced dreams she had reported seeing similar monsters.

"I have never noticed any of the supply missing before Brian stole a dose yesterday morning. I haven't had a chance to check the lab today yet, though. That's the next step. It is possible that whoever was in my office borrowed one of the keys that had been delivered here and used it to access the lab, so I'll want to check to make sure the Morpheus is still there. You should come with me when I do. Nancy has her own copy of our notes on the experiment already, at least the stuff that isn't secret. I don't think she'd steal something she already has, and I can't see her doing something like this regardless. In any event, she doesn't have a key to this office, only to her own. She does have a key to the lab, but she didn't pick up her key for the new lock until I returned, shortly before you arrived. Her office is Room 325, just down the hall, and she's there now."

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:00 am
by CrackheadC.
Richard nodded, he knew that the Doctor didn't say the girl was having flashbacks, but it is just too convenient that she would use monsters as an excuse for crashing her car so shortly after this strange experiment. Some of Richard's own friends were in Veteren hospitals for this sort of thing. Call it shell shock, battle fatigue, or PTSD - it seemed to Richard that anyone who has been in a terrible situation mentally could suffer from it.

"I don't think I need to talk to Nancy. You seem to trust her yourself. And you are right, if she already has access to most of the notes, there is no reason for her to steal more. Now if there was secret information - chemical formulas, thesis, or ingredients missing, then we might have to check her out. But you would tell me if that was the case right?" Richard was about to close his notebook before he stopped. "Which girl was in the accident? After we check your lab, I would like to go an talk to her. I'll say I am following up on the experiment if you are afraid of confidentiality issues."

After getting the information, if Dr. Anderson is willing to go and check on his lab, that is the next stop for Richard.

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:36 am
by CrackheadC.
OOC,If you haven't already completed the update, I would also like to know if any of the former or future student test subjects match the description of the person lurking outside of the lab last night.

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy
"Yes, I'd tell you if that were the case," said Anderson. "The formula for Morpheus is a carefully guarded secret, and I don't have it written down anywhere on campus or in my home. I just have it up here." He tapped his forehead. "Someone would really have to know what he was doing to be able to reverse engineer it from my notes. There are probably only a few hundred people in the world with the necessary expertise. The girl who crashed her car is named Emily Simmons, a freshman who lives in the girls' dormitory on campus. Normally that would be condifential, but in this case you need to know it, and technically you're part of the project team now. Talking to her sounds like a good idea. Is there anything else you'd like to know before I show you the lab?"

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:20 am
by CrackheadC.
"Yeah," Richard said, "last question. Does the school or the company have any CCTV cameras watching your office, this building, or the lab?"
OOC,If yes, Richard will want to collect the office and building tapes before they go to the lab. If no, than I am ready to head over to the lab.

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:29 am
by Mr. Handy
"No, there's nothing like that here," said Anderson. "Security cameras are expensive, and the university doesn't have them. We didn't want to bring them in, because the heightened security would make it too obvious that something important was going on here. We were relying on nobody even suspecting the nature of our research, but that seems to have gone out the window. Well, let's go."

Anderson stood up and gathered his remaining research notes, placing them inside a briefcase that he carried with him. He then led Richard out of the office and into the hall, locking the door behind them. He showed Richard the way downstairs and down a hall leading further into the building. They soon came to the door to Room 110, which differed from the others in that there was a shiny new padlock securing it. Anderson took out a small key from his pocket, unlocked the padlock, and opened the door.

The two men entered the lab, and the professor flicked on the lights. "Nothing appears to be disturbed," he said, "but we'd better take a look around just in case." The windowless area beyond the door looked like a standard science lab, with various lab tables and cabinets, but it also had a Westinghouse refrigerator that was locked with another padlock, several cots in the back, and a television set.

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:59 pm
by CrackheadC.
Richard wandered around the lab looking for anything that might have struck him as out of place in a laboratory - not being a scientist though he could only go off of information from sci-fi books he had read in the library. "The cots are for the sleep study?" Richard looks over the cots to see if any of the students left something from the previous tests. "What's with the television though?"

After giving the room a good looking though Richard stopped at the refrigerator, "This is where you keep the Morpheus stock I assume? Think I can take a look? Worst case scenario, I want to be able to recognize the stuff if some is taken out of the lab again."

"Do you notice anything out of place in here?"

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:01 am
by Mr. Handy
"Yes, the cots are for the subjects to sleep on," said Anderson. "The TV is for their entertainment. They'll be here for a few hours before they take their drinks while we observe them, as well as for a little while in the morning after they awaken, so it's good for them to have something to do, and it'll help them fall asleep. Those who take the Morpheus won't need any help in that regard, but those in the control group might. There are six students in all in each round of testing, three in each group. I don't notice anything out of place yet. Let me show you the fridge."

Anderson took out a different key, unlocked the refrigerator, and opened it. On the top shelf were nine stoppered flasks, each one containing about eight ounces of a brown liquid. On the lower shelves, he saw chocolate milk, juice, soft drinks, and breakfast and snack foods. There were also two bins at the bottom for fruits and vegetables. "As you can see," he said, "we have food and drinks so that the participants can have snacks as well as breakfast in the morning. The flasks each contain a dose of Morpheus. The experiment runs three nights, so we need nine doses, and they're all here. I'll make additional doses today, just in case. I'll also prepare the drinks in similar flasks for the control group. That's why we have the chocolate milk. Since Morpheus looks like it, nobody can tell the difference. I'll label each flask with a number from one to six so that we know which student gets each one and can tell them apart."
OOC,[b]Richard[/b], please roll Spot Hidden to see if you noticed anything during your search of the lab.

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:40 am
by CrackheadC.
"I see. I'll try to avoid any brown liquids." When Dr. Anderson mentioned that the students with Morpheus wouldn't need help sleeping he asked, "Won't the control group catch on to the fact that they aren't the ones getting the Morpheus if the other three students fall asleep quickly and easily? Have you done any pre-testing for the group getting the drug to see their regular sleeping patterns, or are you relying on the control group to establish the base?"

Richard kept looking around the lab, "I am not scientist, but it seems to me like you should consider doing check ups with the students that got the Morpheus in the future... to much experimentation going on without any regards to human health these days." Richard stopped talking when something in the lab caught his attention.

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:13 am
by CrackheadC.
OOC,I'm not sure what I should be doing. Am I giving you enough to work with? Am I ahead of the other players and just need to wait for them to catch up? Or are you just busy - if that is the case, I'll keep waiting and take your time. I know you run a lot of games.

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:36 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I hadn't had time to update lately, combined with continuous sleep deprivation making it hard for me to think. I need to let you know what you noticed before you proceed. I actually started you off several hours before the other PCs, knowing that you were by yourself and expecting that you would catch up to them eventually, especially if you take time to do research in a library or something.
"The drinks aren't given out until midnight," said Dr. Anderson. "By that time, all of them will be tired. The TV will help lull those in the control group to sleep as well. Maybe they'd notice that others are falling asleep quickly and they're not, but we put curtains up between the cots at night so that the students don't see each other. They may still hear snoring, however. We don't pretest the volunteers, but we do interview them about their sleeping habits and patterns prior to admitting them to the experiment. The control groups do help establish a baseline, though. Following up with the students after the experiment is a good idea. In fact, you can use that as your pretext when you speak to Miss Simmons."

Richard was poking through the cabinets, some of which contained flasks of various sizes, and one of which contained a few thermoses. He noticed that that one had two circles roughly the same size as the base of a thermos that were free of dust, while there was a small coating on the rest of the shelves in the cabinet.

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:55 am
by CrackheadC.
"I understand. Yes, that would be a good reason to talk to Ms. Simmons." Richard kept poking around the lab until he noticed the cabinet with what appeared to be missing thermoses. "Dr. Anderson? Do you have to keep your samples of Morpheus refrigerated, or is it possible that they would still be effective if they were kept at room temperature for an extended period of time?"

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:05 am
by Mr. Handy
"Yes, Morpheus does need to be kept cold," said Dr. Anderson. "Why do you ask?"

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:09 am
by CrackheadC.
"Well," Richard starts, "in this cabinet here it looks like someone put some thermoses - very similar to your Morpheus ones - and hid them there to remove later. That's just my guess though." Richard turns to Dr. Anderson, "Do you know what was in here before? Because otherwise I think someone might have found out they had the genuine article during the test and decided to smuggle it out."

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:27 am
by Mr. Handy
"What?" said Dr. Anderson, heading over to the cabinet. "Let me see." He examined the thermoses. "No, that's where we keep the empty thermoses. The Morpheus in the fridge is in flasks, but I use the thermoses when I need to transport it. Brian took one of them to steal a dose the other day, but it looks like there's two more missing now. But all nine remaining doses were in the fridge. Why take the thermoses and leave them?" His brow furrowed in thought.
OOC,[b]Richard[/b], please roll Idea.

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:42 am
by CrackheadC.
"Hmm... maybe someone thought there might be some of the drug leftover on the inside of the thermoses you used to transport it - maybe someone is trying to recreate the drug with a sample. Or maybe..." Richard trails off for a moment as an idea comes to him.

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy
It occurred to Richard that since Morpheus and chocolate milk looked alike, how would he know that the flasks in the fridge really contained Morpheus?

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:55 am
by CrackheadC.
OOC,Aww come on, you are really just egging me on here.
"Hmm...." Richard thinks for a moment, "Doctor, is there any discernable difference between chocolate milk and Morpheus? I know they look the same and that's why you use it to dose the students. But would you be able to tell the difference between the two by smell or taste?" Richard added, "And if you have only a little sip, of the Morpheus would it have the same effect as the full dose as a knock out drug?"

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:23 am
by CrackheadC.
"What I mean to say Doctor, is that I think someone pulled a switcheroo on you. I think what you have in the refrigerator might be chocolate milk and not the Morpheus." Richard walks back over the the fridge and pulls out a pair of flasks for the Doctor to examine.

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:17 pm
by Mr. Handy
Anderson's eyes widened. "They do taste different from the accounts of the test subjects," he said. "Each of them would be drinking one or the other exclusively, so they'd never know the difference. I don't want to ingest any myself, as even a small amount might impair me, but I can run some chemical tests on these doses to see if they're the real thing or not. I can do that while you talk to Miss Simmons. I should be done by the time you get back."

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:17 am
by CrackheadC.
"Right, that will be for the best. I suggest you let the company know if it turns out that more than just the one sample is missing." Richard heads to door, "And Dr. Anderson, be careful while you are here. We only know one thing for certain and that is that someone has an interest in this lab and Morpheus - some one besides the company. So if you leave, make sure you leave a note here in the lab or at your office. Otherwise I'll have to assume the worst."

Richard thought for a moment that for a moment that he might have been a little over dramatic, but his solder's instincts reassured him. He just wanted to be finished with the just with as little hassle as possible and if that means scaring the Doctor into being a little more cautious than so be it.

With nothing else to learn from the lab, Richard headed to girl's dormitory to meet Miss Simmons.

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:08 pm
by Mr. Handy
Dr. Anderson nodded. "I'll be here when you get back," he said as Richard left.

Girls' Dormitory, University of Pennsylvania
11:00 AM - Thursday, July 17, 1969

Richard soon reached the girls' dorm, an ivy-coated two story building with a tree-lined walk. He walked through the front doors of the dormitory building and into the lobby. A middle aged woman with blonde hair sat behind a desk. "Can I help you, sir?" she asked.

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:40 am
by CrackheadC.
"Yes, Thank you. I am looking for Miss Simmons. I'm Richard Cane with the science department. I have follow up questions for her involving a sleep study she took part in for Dr. Anderson."

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:49 am
by Mr. Handy
"Well, male visitors are not allowed in the dorm, Mr. Cane," said the woman. "She's probably not here at the moment anyway. You're best off trying to find her in class or at the cafeteria at lunchtime."

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:03 am
by CrackheadC.
"I don't really need to go in to see her. It's only a few simple questions, I could easily ask them out here if I can't go in. I only ask because 'probably' isn't 'definitely', maybe you could go and check her dorm, or call the room if she has a phone? If I have to figure out her course schedule, then check in any class she could be in, or wander around the cafeteria that could take hours longer than it need to - especially if she happens to be in her room right now." Richard smiles earnestly, "Could you at least check to make sure she isn't here before I go?"
OOC,Here is a failed fast talk roll. I'm hoping I don't actually need it. I'm not really asking for the moon here and we both do work for the university. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3591002/]Fast Talk 5% (1d100=55)[/url]

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:54 pm
by Mr. Handy
"I'm sorry, sir," said the woman, who did not sound at all sorry. "There are no telephones in the dorm rooms, and I cannot leave my post. Neither can I let you inside. We have rules for a reason, and I have to enforce them. I'm pretty sure I saw Miss Simmons leave earlier this morning, if it helps."

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:38 am
by CrackheadC.
Richard sighs, "If you say so Ma'am. If she comes back and hasn't talked to me could you at least direct her towards Dr. Anderson's lab? I mean I'm sure it won't be breaking the rules for you to relay a message." Richard tried to hide the contempt in his voice. His years in the military had given him the idea that the world should work like a well-oiled machine, you work together and you get things done - if you needed a favor you could get one as long as you are able to return it. A company, a university, any job really, worked like the military - sure their were rules and regulations, but you did what needed to get done and you didn't get into other people's ways.

Richard leaves for the cafeteria, more than a little annoyed.

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:01 am
by Mr. Handy
"If I see her, I'll let her know," said the woman as Richard left and headed for the cafeteria.
OOC,[b]RIchard[/b], please roll Idea.

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:25 am
by CrackheadC.
On the way to the cafeteria a thought occurred to Richard.
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3592012/]Idea Roll 70% (1d100=45)[/url]

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:38 am
by Mr. Handy
Richard realized that he had never gotten a physical description of Emily Simmons, and he was unlikely to find her without one. He could walk right past her and never know it.

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:52 am
by CrackheadC.
Richard shakes his head and turns back around to the girl's dormitory to the desk worker. "Sorry to bother you again, but it occurred to me that I don't know what Miss Emily Simmons looks like. I was just told to get her for Dr. Anderson and I guess we both overlooked that important detail. Could you give me an idea of who I am looking for?"

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:58 am
by Mr. Handy
The woman frowned suspiciously. "I thought you knew her," she said. "Well, she's got long blonde hair, average height and build."

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:35 am
by CrackheadC.
"Lady, I work with the science department and I'm not a teacher. I wouldn't know a tenth of these students from Adam. I just do what I'm told, but thanks for the description anyway." Richard left again. It shouldn't be too hard to find a completely average blonde girl, Richard thought. "Ugh, something about that lady just rubbed me the wrong way." Richard grumbled as he made his way to the cafeteria.

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:37 am
by Mr. Handy
Richard realized that the description the woman had given him was inadequate. It could match any number of people. Perhaps Dr. Anderson would be able to provide a better one. He had time to visit the lab again, as it wasn't close to lunchtime yet.

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:15 am
by CrackheadC.
Cursing under his breath, Richard returned to the lab. It had only been a few hours but the job was already irritating him, but really it was his own fault for not thinking of getting a picture.

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:26 am
by Mr. Handy
When Richard returned to the lab, Anderson had some chemical apparatus set up and was conducting some tests. "Ah, you're back," he said. "I've only tested a couple of the doses so far, but they've checked out. Still have a lot to go, though. Did you have any luck?"

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:58 am
by CrackheadC.
"Unfortunately the desk lady bounced me at the dorms. 'No male visitors allowed' she said, even if I was university staff." Richard examines the lab set up that Dr. Anderson has working, but doesn't get too close. "I realized I don't know anything about this girl, so it isn't likely I'll just run into her on campus. Any chance you have a picture of her and her class schedule from the interview process of the tests?"

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy
"No, I don't have a picture of her," said Dr. Anderson, "and I don't know her class schedule, though she is a psychology major. In fact, she's in one of Nancy Remington's classes early this afternoon. It starts at 1:00 PM, and it's in Room 218 in this building. I can also give you a description of her, seeing as I've met her. She has long, straight blonde hair, is eighteen years old, is about 5 feet 2 inches tall, and weighs 110 pounds. She tends to dress conservatively, wearing long skirts with blouses that go up to her neck."

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:23 am
by CrackheadC.
"Well I have two hours before that, is there anything I can do to help here before I meet up with her? Otherwise I'd like to take a look at any notes you have on the Morpheus drug and its experiments while I wait." Richard says

Handy,I know a typical library use/research roll takes 4 full hours, I was wondering if I could split it up and do the first 2 hours now while I wait and then head to the classroom at around 1pm. I'm just trying to keep things moving along because I know that I am a bit behind the other players.

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:00 am
by Mr. Handy
"Yes, I brought what's left of my notes from the office with me in my briefcase," said Dr. Anderson. "There are full copies somewhere safe. I can get one for you this afternoon if you like. If you're a skilled chemist or pharmacologist, you might be able to help with the testing to speed this up, but otherwise I've got this well in hand." He opened up his briefcase, took out the notes, and handed them to Richard.
OOC,Yes, you can split it up. Don't worry about being behind them in time. You will catch up. I started you off earlier in the timeline on purpose. If you're just reading the notes, you won't need a Library Use roll and it probably won't take four hours. You will, however, need to roll Medicine to get a better understanding of them.

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:07 am
by CrackheadC.
"Sorry Doctor, Computers and Electronics are more my speed. And unfortunately history and less applied sciences are my bag so I might not be able to get much out of this, but I hope you don't mind me asking you a question or two. It is very rare to actually have an opportunity to question an author so it wouldn't be good to squander it if it will help." Richard took the pages of notes and started to flip through them, clearly encountering a little more trouble than he expected.
Rolls,I was hoping I might be able to get around my awful medicine and pharmaceutical score. Ah well: [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3615602/]Medicine 5% (1d100=70)[/url] Do I learn anything?

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:57 am
by Mr. Handy
The content of the papers was way over Richard's head. He knew what an electroencephalogram was and could probably fix one if it were broken, but he had no idea how to interpret its results.

"It would take years to give you the kind of education you'd need to understand my notes," said Anderson, "not to mention that my penmanship is atrocious. Goes hand in glove with being a doctor, I'm afraid. The dream accounts were all stolen, unfortunately. I'm sure you could understand those, though interpreting what dreams mean is somewhat trickier. I'll have them for you this afternoon when I retrieve a complete copy. I'm sure I can explain things in layman's terms, however. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. Please try to be as specific as possible."

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:48 am
by CrackheadC.
"Hah, yeah I seem to be well out of my depth on this." Richard laughed, "I suppose the only questions I could think of would be this: You said that with just the notes that were stolen someone could not replicate Morpheus because you have kept part of the key to yourself, now even with the notes and a sample of Morpheus would it still be so unlikely that someone duplicate the drug? If so, how long do you think it would take someone to figure it out?" Richard keys in on some of the more impressive tools needed to create the drug, "It seems like someone would need quite a lab to make it as well - I assume there is no poor-man's version of these tools? If that is the case it seems unlikely that it would be some sort of low-level operation or just one guy who would take it."

Richard sighs, "This is proving to be quite difficult."
Handy,After these questions I'm not quite sure there is anything more I can do in the lab until Dr. Anderson finishes up his testing. I also can't think of many more productive questions for him - so I'd like to skip ahead to 1 pm and try to meet with Emily Simmons.

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:20 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,That's fine, though [b]Dr. Anderson[/b] will finish his testing shortly before you go. Maybe you'll think of other things to ask him after you meet with [b]Emily Simmons[/b].
"It's not the tools or the laboratory facilities that are the issue," said Dr. Anderson. "Anyone who knows the formula could replicate Morpheus in a decently-equipped chemistry lab. The only problem is obtaining the ingredients, most of which are quite rare and extremely valuable. The formula is not written down in the notes that were stolen, though someone clever and knowledgable might be able to deduce some of the ingredients from them. Having a sample might make it possible to eventually reverse engineer it." He finished his tests at around a quarter to one, which he had been carrying on with while Richard read the notes and asked him questions. "Well, everything looks like it's in order here. If you want to speak to Emily Simmons before her class starts, you should leave soon. I'll be leaving myself to get the complete notes, and I'll lock up the lab. If you want to get back inside before I return, Nancy Remington has a key."

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:00 am
by CrackheadC.
"Hmm. So none of the Morpheus samples were replaced? That is a relief, but it doesn't make much sense for there to have been missing thermoses then..." Richard ponders this and the other information he received as the doctor locked the lab. "Thank you, Dr. Anderson. I'll be in touch later."

Richard left to go to the classroom - if a quick scan of the room itself doesn't appear to produce Miss Simmons, Richard waits outside of the classroom for her to arrive.

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:17 am
by Mr. Handy
Richard waited outside the classroom for a few minutes. The professor, apparently Nancy Remington, arrived first. She was an attractive woman in her thirties. Shortly afterwards, students began filing in. One of them, walking down the hall towards the classroom, fit the description he had of Emily Simmons.

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:00 am
by CrackheadC.
Richard approached Emily carefully, if she had been having hallucinations he didn't want to frighten her. "Miss Simmons?" he asked, "Could I have a moment of your time? My name is Richard Cane. I work for the university and I am assisting Dr. Anderson with his sleep experiment."

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:47 am
by Mr. Handy
"Sure," said Emily, smiling brightly. "Class doesn't start for a couple minutes. What do you want to know, Mr. Cane?"

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:15 am
by CrackheadC.
Richard takes Emily a few steps to the side of the classroom door to allow other students and while giving them a little bit of privacy. "Well my first question is how you are feeling? I heard you were in an accident recently."

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:00 am
by Mr. Handy
"Oh, I'm fine," said Emily. "I wasn't hurt or anything."
OOC,[b]Richard[/b], you may roll Psychology.

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:21 am
by CrackheadC.
Richard smiled, "I figured you weren't banged up too bad since you are at class now." His tone went from more light-hearted to a hushed concerned , "I meant what you said you saw before the accident. Can you tell me about that?"
Roll,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3621671/]Psychology 5% (1d100=84)[/url] Failed, but knowing what I know I am going to assume that she is lying or just uncomfortable talking about it.

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:29 am
by Mr. Handy
Emily shuffled her feet. "I...my lawyer told me I shouldn't talk about that," she said.
OOC,[b]Richard[/b], If you want to try to get her to open up, please roll Persuade.

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:52 am
by CrackheadC.
Richard shows genuine concern - the girl wasn't hurt physically it seems, but the fact that she had lawyered-up meant that no one believed her. "Listen Emily, I know what you are going through. You saw something deeply disturbing, but no one believes you - you probably don't even believe it yourself. When I was in Vietnam I saw some of the worst the world had to offer - I still can't believe the cruelty and despair of that world. Even leaving it behind, knowing it is half a world away, I find myself thinking about it constantly, feeling as though at any moment I could be back there." Richard put his hand on her shoulder, "I know what happened to you was difficult and I am not just talking about the accident. Many of my friends were tested on by the government - taking drugs that they thought were helpful, using chemicals that they thought were harmless. You don't have to be alone in dealing with it."

Richard turns to leave, allowing her to go to her classroom, "Just keep me in mind if you want to talk, or need some help. I work at the library so you should be able to get in touch with me through there. And please consider talking to me - in my opinion this drug isn't safe - and with your help I might be able to keep others from being subjected to it."
Roll,All that for a crummy roll: [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3629863/]Persuade (15%) (1d100=83)[/url]

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:09 am
by Mr. Handy
"Okay, I'll keep that in mind," said Emily, nodding. "I'll talk to my lawyer again later. Maybe Mr. Gains will say it's okay to say something." She headed into the classroom.

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:03 am
by CrackheadC.
OOC,Anderson said all the doses he had stored checked out right? Just trying to figure out my next move
Richard smiles as Emily goes into her class - hopefully she reached her enough to change her mind in the future and talk to him about what had happened. Until then he needed to get more information on the testing - any other students who might had had issues or anything that might have happened during the test that was not legitimate or might have indicated a student's extra interest in the drug.

The only answers he could get for the moment would be through Ms. Remington since Dr. Anderson was sure not to be back with the remainder of the paperwork yet and Remington had the only key to the lab. So Richard took up a seat at the back of her class and waited until it was finished to talk to her.

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy
Nancy Remington noticed that Richard was sitting in on her class, but she said nothing and launched into her lecture about different personality types. The students, including Emily, listened and took notes. It was at least somewhat interesting, and even though it was a subject outside his area of expertise, she used terms that made it easy for him to understand. Of course, the class probably was an introductory one. She was also easy on the eyes, which helped make the time fly past.

Shortly before 2:00, she concluded her lecture and dismissed the class. The students filed out, leaving only Nancy and Richard in the classroom.
OOC,Yes, that's correct.

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:15 am
by CrackheadC.
"That was a wonderful lecture Ms. Remington," Richard says as he gets out of his chair and approaches her at the front of the class. "I'm Richard Cane, I work at the library. I'm also currently helping Dr. Anderson with some problems that his sleep study has run into." Richard extends his hand in a friendly greeting.

"Dr. Anderson said that you work on the project as well, correct? He said that you might be able to answer some questions for me, are you free now?"

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:41 am
by Mr. Handy
"Thank you, Mr. Cane," said Nancy, shaking Richard's hand with a light grip. " Yes, that's right, I'm assisting Professor Anderson. He mentioned you'd be helping when I stopped by the lab this morning. I've got some time before I have to be anywhere, so I can answer any questions you may have."

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:31 am
by CrackheadC.
OOC,I just got back, sorry for such a long delay. If I haven't been put too far away I'd like to continue. I need to review the thread so I can remember what it is I wanted to ask Nancy and my next leads, then I'll post ASAP. If you remember what I had planned you can jog my memory to what that would be appreciated.

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:26 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,That's okay, we can proceed at your own pace; none of the other players are waiting on you for anything. I'm sorry, but I can't remember what you planned to ask [b]Nancy[/b] or your current leads and I don't have time tonight to search for the information, but reviewing this thread should give you the details.

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:01 am
by CrackheadC.
OOC,I see what it was now, I wanted to ask her about lab conditions - the missing bottles - if any students acted abnormally after the trial (asking questions about the drug) - how effect the drug was, if she tried it, about Emily's condition if she has noticed anything different, and finally about Dr. Anderson's son. Post pending, this list is here to just remind me what I was looking for with her. Trying to put together my character for the Orphanage game too so I don't hold things up there.

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:58 am
by CrackheadC.
"This should only take a few minutes." Richard flipped open his notebook took out his pencil, "First, I wanted to ask you about the students who participated in the trials so far. I understand that the Morpheus was mixed with chocolate milk to disguise it and form a proper control group. Do you think it was possible for any of the students to figure out that they had the actual drug before taking it, possibly hiding the real drug and taking a fake instead? I ask because in the lab I noticed something that looked like someone may have stored the thermoses for the drug and taken them out at a later date - possibly even a former lab assistant?"

Richard waits for her answer before moving on, "Also, on the topic of the students, did any of them seem to gain a deeper interest in the drug after taking it? Perhaps asking more questions than what usual curiosity would have? And beyond that could you give me your professional opinion of the students who took the drug, did any of them seem to exhibit a personality change or other noticeable side-effects? And of course, what do you think about Miss Emily Simmons and her accident, could it have been caused by some sort of flashback?"

Richard will wait for her to finish answering, writing notes all the while, before moving on to follow up questions should he have any.

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy
"No, I don't think the students could have figured out which group they were in before taking the Morpheus," said Nancy. "There's certainly no way they could have swapped it out for a fake. The fridge is kept padlocked, and we hand the doses to the students and watch them to make sure they drink the whole thing. None of them expressed an undue interest in Morpheus or even knew what it was called. There are thermoses kept in the lab, yes. I know that when Brian Anderson stole that dose, he used one of them to transport it, but there were no others missing at the time. Are you saying there were more missing?

"The three students who were in the group that took Morpheus seemed the same before and after. I interviewed them myself with an eye on learning their states of mind. There was some mild confusion and disorientation upon awakening, but we got that with the control group too. It's common to feel that way when you've just woken up from a dream. Emily Simmons always seemed to have a level head on her shoulders to me. I heard about her accident, and I don't really know what to say. I suppose it's possible that she had a flashback to her Morpheus-induced dreams. She had seen monsters in one of them too. I don't know whether the Morpheus could cause a flashback, or if it was purely psychological out of the fear she felt from her nightmare. Emily doesn't take any drugs; she won't even touch caffeine. Maybe that has something to do with it. She could have been nodding off behind the wheel. It did happen late at night. Have you spoken to her yet?"

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:00 am
by CrackheadC.
"Mmm, yes there were some missing thermoses - or at least it appeared as if there were some missing thermoses it sounds silly but there were suspicious dust marks in one of the cabinets, but Dr. Anderson checked out the doses and they all appeared to be on the level. I thought perhaps someone had replaced a dose and stolen some, but I appear to have been mistaken." Richard said.

"Yes, I spoke to her just before class. She seemed willing to talk to me about it more, but she wanted to consult her lawyer before going any further into it. I guess he told her, probably with good reason, not to talk about it." He continued, "As far as I know Dr. Anderson's son is the only one that took any outside of the lab, but is it possible for anyone aside from Dr. Anderson to have made more of the Morpheus? He assured me there wasn't, but scientists tend to have more than a little hubris when it comes to their creations."

After Nancy finishes answering the last of his questions, Richard will ask, "Is there anything else you think I might need to know while I keep looking into this? Any suggestions on who might have broken into the lab or be prowling around other than Brian?"

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:30 am
by Mr. Handy
"Maybe you were mistaken," said Nancy, "but maybe Dr. Anderson was. If more thermoses are missing, there's a chance that someone did swipe some more Morpheus, only this time whoever did it was smart enough to replace it with something chemically similar, or took some of it and watered down the rest. I don't know who might want to do it, though. Dr. Anderson hasn't told anyone else the formula to Morpheus. I assume he's gotten it written down in some secure place just in case something happens to him, but you're right, he won't share it with anyone. As for Emily SImmons, maybe it would help her open up if I have a talk with her. I know her pretty well, and I know where her next class is. If I hurry, I can catch up with her before it starts."

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:25 am
by CrackheadC.
"If you can get through to her that would be great - or maybe if she doesn't trust you, you can help her trust me. I told her about some of the chemicals and experiments from the war, so she would know that she doesn't have to deal with it alone - that I am on her side." Richard replies.

"I think that's everything for now, if you need to get a hold of me you can leave a message at the science library or at the lab, but I would prefer one left at the library."

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:17 am
by Mr. Handy
"She trusts me," said Nancy. "I'll go talk to her now, before her next class starts. If she tells me about it, I'll leave you a message at the library, Mr. Cane. Good afternoon." She walked down the hall towards the building entrance.

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:26 am
by CrackheadC.
"Thank you for your time Ms. Remmington, you have been a big help." Richard says. After completing his notes from the two short interviews Richard heads back to the lab to see if Dr. Anderson has returned with his complete set of notes on the project.

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:18 am
by Mr. Handy
John Morgan Hall, School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania
2:10 PM - Thursday, July 17, 1969

When Richard returned to the lab in Room 110, Dr. Anderson was already back. He was working with a machine when Richard entered. "Oh, hello, Mr. Cane," he said, looking up. "Just checking that the EEG machines are in working order for the experiment. Any luck?"

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:32 pm
by CrackheadC.
"I didn't get much out of Ms. Simmons, but it seems she is willing to open up at a later time provided her lawyer is as agreeable as she is." Richard took a seat, "Ms. Remington was helpful as well, she said she will talk to Ms. Simmons some more ask she trusts her."

Richard sighs while looking over his own notes and Dr. Anderson's incomprehensible notes, "I suppose the only person left for me to talk to at the moment would be your son. Do you know where he is?"

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:30 am
by Mr. Handy
"I don't know where he is at the moment," said Professor Anderson, "but Brian will be heading for his chemistry class soon. It's his last class of the day, and it lets out at 3:30. He lives at the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity house. I don't know how amenable he'll be to answering questions, but it's worth a try. I also retrieved a full copy of my research notes, if you're interested. The accounts of the subjects' dreams may be more accessible than the more technical material."