IC-Chapter 1-Comfortably Numb(Barney Brainstorm/Bill Johns)

Bill Johns and several other people attempt to understand the significance of the appearance of a new drug named Morpheus and its use in an experiment with college students as test subjects.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Re: IC-Chapter 1-Comfortably Numb(Barney Brainstorm/Bill Joh

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barney nodded, "She might... but I'm not inclined to bring her into trouble with you. You haven't given me anything to trust you with, Officer." He crossed his arms and looked at Bill, who had so far not answered a single question thrown his way.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Bill raised an eyebrow. "Why should she be in trouble?" he said, "All I want to do is share some information."
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"You broke into my house, searched it without permission, and sent a man in to jail under false pretenses ..." Barney pointed out, arms still crossed about his chest defensively. "I don't even know who's side you're on, man. I've already incriminated myself. I won't take anyone else down with me. Especially to a dirty cop."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

"I'm not a dirty cop!" snapped Bill, angrily jabbing his finger at Barney to underline his point. "You said Anderson's a drug dealer - are you telling me he shouldn't be in jail?!"

Bill realised he was breathing heavily and be had lost control of the situation. He sighed and sat back on his chair, appearing to crumple in upon himself. He cupped his hands around the cup of tea and stared at it, trying to make sense of everything. After a few moments he looked up. "You asked me about the bar," he said quietly. "Truth is, I'm not really sure what did happen. I know Brian Anderson tried to kill me but......." He paused, not sure how to begin to explain, "but...... what I know happened to me, is at odds to what other people are saying......"
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"Brian deserves to be in jail... but he never attacked you," Barney said. "He never went into the bathroom, and he never stole your suit. Someone probably dropped some drugs in your drink or something." He released his arms from in front of his chest and relaxed a little taking a breath. "Look... why don't you tell me what you remember happening? Maybe it'll be good to get off your chest. Seems you are embarrassed about it maybe."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

"Embarrassed?" said Bill and he laughed drily. "No, I'm not embarrassed. I just don't know how to explain what happened - what I think happened - I don't know," he said.

He took a drink and without looking up said, "I got a phone call, telling me to go to the bar. I'd knew Lenny's but I'd not been there for some... ... time." Bill glanced up to see if Barney was following him. "I went into the gents and Anderson came in. He said his life was messed up and it was my fault." Bill took another drink and continued, "He threatened me with a gun and then... and then threw a grenade..." Bill leaned forward. "I never saw him before, the grenade went off and everything went black. I came round, staggered into the bar to find that everything had changed and find that Anderson's being arrested..." Bill's voice tailed off, aware of how implausible his story seemed.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barney lifted an eyebrow, "I'm not sure I follow. What do you mean, everything had changed?"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Bill sat for a long time without replying as he considered what to say. "I can't," he said eventually. "I tell you what I think has changed and your first call will be to the nuthouse."
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barny stood up and laughed, "You ever work with musicians officer... say, what is your name anyway?" He grabbed up his empty cup and walked it over to the sink. "I deal with crazy on a daily basis. If I called the nuthouse every time someone acted a bit strange, suffice to say they'd stop taking my calls within only a few days. Besides, if you want my help, you're going to have to trust me."

He turned about at the sink and crossed his arms again looking back expectantly at Bill.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

"Jesus!" swore Bill "I went in in 2009 and I came out in 1969! I've lost 40 years and I'm damned if I know how to get back - happy now?!"
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"A time traveller, outta sight man," Barney responded apparently buying it. "Yeah, no wonder you were all weirded out at the pub. Tell me though..." Barney leaned in closer as he asked "You all got flying cars in 2009?"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Re: IC-Chapter 1-Comfortably Numrb(Barney Brainstorm/Bill Jo

Post by Philulhu »

[sub][/sub]"Yeah, it's like the frigging Jetson's!" replied Bill sarcastically. He sighed and held up his hands by way of apology. "Sorry, it's been a bitch to deal with. Look, cars are pretty much the same, just more streamlined and fuel efficient. Terrorists have replaced communists as the new enemy that everyone fears and oh, we've got a black president. What else do you want to know?" He sat and looked at Barney, unsure what the younger man's response would be.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

There was a few moments of silence as Barney contemplates everything he's just been told... then he smiles and laughs, tilting his head, "Ah... you almost got me. A black president. That's funny, man..."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Bill feels the colour rise in his face. "It's not a joke!" he snaps. "Where I come from......" He tails off, not sure what's going to convince Barney he's telling the truth.

"Ok, smartass," he says, "Ask me a question about the future. Something big. Who's alive, who's dead? Musicians -that's your sorta thing."
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barney thought for a moment, then nodded, "Ok... 2009. What happened to the Rolling Stones? Or the Beatles for that matter?" He shrugged, "I really don't see where this is going. You could make anything up and I won't be able to verify it."

He ran his tough across his teeth, then said, "For the sake of argument, I'll say you're from the future. What does time travel have to do with sleep research?"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

"The 'Stones go global in the 80s. They're like the biggest band in the world for a while. Brian Jones drowns but they carry on with some guy from The Faces - you know the band with Rod Stewart? The Beatles split up after John Lennon shacks up with Yoko Ono, then he gets shot in New York by Mark Chapman in 1980. Shoots him dead in the street!" Bill's breathing heavily, desperate for Barney to believe him. "Hendrix. Joplin. Morrison. Bonham. All gone to drink and drugs."

Bill sat back suddenly. "Sorry," he says, running his hands through his hair, "You've got no idea what it's been like." He pulled the cup towards him and took a long drink. "I don't know what any of this has to do with the experiment, other than I know one of the students taking part."
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barney suggests, "Maybe we should see about this experiment, maybe volunteer ourselves. I mean... it's only supposed to be open for students, but it couldn't hurt to try. Once we get inside, we could sneak around, overhear conversations, find important papers... that sort of thing. Or... skip the volunteering and just go with the intrigue man."

Barney stops a moment ... and clarifies, "You saying the Stones are still together, man? They got to be like 80 or something then." Barney was no good with math, but he knew when a rocker should be retired... he'd never seen a rocker do well past their prime.
Last edited by ImpInTraining on Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barney suggests, "Maybe we should see about this experiment, maybe volunteer ourselves. I mean... it's only supposed to be open for students, but it couldn't hurt to try. Once we get inside, we could sneak around, overhear conversations, find important papers... that sort of thing. Or... skip the volunteering and just go with the intrigue man."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

"I can't," said Bill. "I've met Professor Anderson - Brian's father - who's running the show. He knows I'm a cop."

He studied Barney carefully. "You on the other hand, he hasn't met. Has he?" Bill asked.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barney shook his head, "No man... but I'm no college kid. Suppose I could buy some new threads, shave, and try to fit in though."

Return to “Chapter 1”