IC-Chapter 1-Comfortably Numb(Barney Brainstorm/Bill Johns)

Bill Johns and several other people attempt to understand the significance of the appearance of a new drug named Morpheus and its use in an experiment with college students as test subjects.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Re: IC-Chapter 1-Comfortably Numb(Barney Brainstorm/Bill Joh

Post by ImpInTraining »

Spot hidden - fail,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3607164/]Spot Hidden (55%) (1d100=77)[/url]
Barney sat up and stretched. He looked toward the window, squinting at the sunlight streaming in. It was time to get busy. There was a lot to do. So the first thing he did was get out of bed, put a robe on, and get a tea kettle on the stove. Tea would get him moving right along. Once that was getting hot, he headed into the bathroom to brush his teeth, gargle, and shave.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Barney went through his morning routine automatically. It seemed to take no time at all. He felt a lot better once he got himself outside some tea.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

OOC,Shoot... you're probably waiting on me to post something, huh? I was wondering why it was so quiet.
Barney downed his tea hastefully , burning his throat in the process. Then out the door he went. He had to meet back up with Maxine before she made her way to the university.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Barney headed outside shortly before 9:00, remembering that Maxine had said she would pick him up at that time. She spun by right on time and stopped beside him. Kathleen sat in the shotgun seat, so she had to have been all right after all. "Morning," said Maxine. "Hop in."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barney oblidged, hopping in the back of the vehicle as he said, "I had a very interesting visitor last night."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yeah?" said Maxine, pulling out once Barney closed the door. "Who was it?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"Remember that old guy from the bathroom at the bar? The one who fingered Brian?" Barney looked out the window as he said, "That's the guy." Quickly, Barney ran through the encounter the night prior and briefed Maxine on the situation. A couple minutes later, he was summing up sharing everything except the bit about time travel "Anyway, he says he works with the cops and he's offering to help. I'm going to try to get in with you two on this dream research. I don't know if they'll let me... but might as well try."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yeah, he was in the library when we were there too," said Maxine. "He just keeps popping up everywhere."

"I should have known he was a pig," said Kathleen. "You really want to work with them?"

"We'll still do things our own way, Kathy. We'll be careful about what we tell him, and we'll get whatever information out of him we can. If the cops are investigating Professor Anderson just like us, then we should take full advantage of that. It's not like we're going to be narcing." She nodded to Barney. "Kathleen and I are already in, so if you can get into the experiment too, that would be cool. It might be hard on short notice, but it's worth a shot. Want me to spin you down to Anderson's building on campus? It's only a few blocks away."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barney nodded, "That'd be just groovy, baby."

"About Bill though... I get the feeling it's something more personal with him though. He won't be able to get us weapons to protect ourselves, but we can count on him for information." He rubbed his chin thoughtfully "And I think we can count on him if things go bad... provided he knows."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, you talk to him if you want," said Kathleen. "I don't want anything to do with him."

John Morgan Hall, School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania
9:05 AM - Friday, July 18, 1969

Maxine parked in front of John Morgan Hall, the building housing Penn's School of Medicine. "Okay, here we are," she said. "Kathy and I were here yesterday, but Dr. Anderson wasn't. We got to be interviewed by his assistant, Professor Nancy Remington. She's kind of cute. You'll need to go to Room 322. That's Anderson's office. If he's not there, Remington's in 325, just down the hall on the other side."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barney nodded and opened the door, "Cheers. See you later if all goes well." He shut the door behind him and headed in the building, up two flights of stairs, and sought his way to room 322.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Barney easily found Room 322. The office door was closed, but he could see that a light was on inside. A piece of paper secured to the door with Scotch tape indicated that Dr. Anderson currently had office hours.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

ooc,Not sure what that means exactly. Does that mean he's here in his office, or that he's busy in some other office? or that he has office hours in general - which I may or may not be attending at this particular point in time?
Figuring someone was inside, Barney knocked and listened carefully to what was going on inside.
Listen Check - success!,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3693626/]Listen (65%) (1d100=35)[/url]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,This is his office, and the sign says that he currently has office hours here. By the way, I edited the earlier post where you were watching the news broadcast to correct a mistake I had made. It was El Salvador, not Honduras, that was rejecting the cease-fire calls.
Barney could hear wood scraping, the sort of sound that would be made by a chair being pushed back from a desk. Then footsteps approached the door from within. The door was opened by a tall, confident man in his upper forties, his brown hair streaked with hints of gray. A full beard covered his chin, and he wore glasses. He pushed the glasses further up his nose and peered at Barney. "Yes?" he said. "How can I help you, young man?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"How fortunate," Barney said as he saw the door open. "Dr. Anderson, I presume? I was hoping to catch you before the big experiment started. Is it too late to offer myself as a lab rat as well? I am British, and perhaps that will offer you a wider demographic for your study group."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, I'm Dr. Anderson," he said. He shook Barney's hand firmly and stood aside to allow Richard to enter. "Please, come in." The office looked standard, with sunlight streaming in through the window at the back. A desk occupied the center of the room, with a leather chair behind it and another, less expensive chair in front of the desk and facing it. The desktop contained a blotter, a typewriter, a telephone, a lamp, and baskets labeled "IN" and "OUT." The baskets contained various papers. A short filing cabinet stood at the rear of the room beneath the window, and the sides of the office were lined with bookshelves filled with numerous books. Dr. Anderson went around behind the desk and sat down, steepling his fingers. "We have had all of the slots filled, but it's possible that one of the volunteers won't be able to make it this weekend. If you qualify, I can put you on the waiting list. I'll call you if there's an opening, and if I don't call and you're still interested you can show up at the lab at 8:00 PM and see if someone doesn't show. We don't have any foreign students in our group, so it would be useful to include you. Please, have a seat and I'll interview you. First I'll need your name and major."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barney tries to think back to his lengthy discussions with the girls to see if he recalled what either of their majors were before answering.
Spoiler:
Know?,Does this dice thingy work yet?[dice]1d100[/dice] Whoops. Guess not. doesn't matter much if you allow it or not. Know (70%) (1d100=98)
Not recalling if the subject ever came up with the girls, Barney said, "I am studying Art, music mostly. I think there's a big future in the entertainment business. The name is Barney... Barney Miller."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Dr. Anderson jotted down some notes. "Okay, Mr. Miller," he said. "Do you take drugs? It won't automatically disqualify you if you do, but you'll have to stay off of them from this point forward for the duration of the experiment. They might have interactions with what we're testing, and mind-altering drugs could throw off the results. If you're taking any medications, I'll need to know about those as well."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barney smiled proudly, "Aside from my morning Tea, I don't partake." He paused then asked, "Does that include ale at the pub?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"it's all right if you've consumed alcohol recently, as long as it wasn't this morning," said Dr. Anderson. "Most people don't drink in the morning unless they have a problem, however. You will need to abstain until the experiment is over. Where did you hear about the experiment, and why do you want to participate in it?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 1”