IC-Chapter 1-Comfortably Numb(Barney Brainstorm/Bill Johns)

Bill Johns and several other people attempt to understand the significance of the appearance of a new drug named Morpheus and its use in an experiment with college students as test subjects.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Re: IC-Chapter 1-Comfortably Numb(Barney Brainstorm/Bill Joh

Post by ImpInTraining »

"There's people all over campus talking about this, doctor. I just thought it would be a groovy sort of thing to do... I like to sleep. And if I can get paid to sleep, even better," Barney said with a smile.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I had no idea word had gotten around so much," said Dr. Anderson, writing again. "I'd like to know more about your sleep habits. Tell me, do you recall your dreams? Do you dream in color, or in black and white? Have you ever had a dream when you were aware that you were dreaming, or where you were able to take control of the dream world?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"You know... I never really paid attention to whether I dream in color or black and white. But I figure it must be in color. Dreamt of the Yellow Submarine once. I'd have to know it was yellow somehow, right?" Barney tried to be as candid as he could about this subject, as he didn't see that it mattered if he told the truth or not. "I don't remember ever having power over my dream, but there was a couple times when I did realize I was dreaming. I'd wake up moments after that. I think I dream every night, I just can't remember them all... or I forget all the details as I'm awake. It's weird that the only times I really remembered my dreams is when I immedately told someone what I dreampt right after I woke up. Is that normal?" He looked to the doctor for an answer.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, Mr. Miller, it's perfectly normal," said Dr. Anderson. "Only about one in six people dream in color, but it's not uncommon. Most people's memories of their dreams fade quickly after they awaken. That's why we will interview our subjects immediately after they awaken in the morning to get the details of their dreams before they're forgotten. Many people who wish to remember their dreams keep paper and pen by their bedside so they can write everything down quickly. Being aware that you're dreaming is called lucid dreaming, and it can happen occasionally. It is even possible for some people, once they're aware that they're dreaming, to be able to take control of the dream. Part of this experiement is to see if we can help you do that. You'll be suitable for the experiment. I can't guarantee you'll get in, but we'll see." He took a typewritten sheet of paper from his desk and passed it across to Barney, along with a ballpoint pen. "Please read and sign this waiver. It's required in order to participate, so we might as well get it out of the way now in case there is room for you. Is there a telephone number where I can reach you today? If I find out about a slot opening up before it's time for the experiment, I can let you know. Otherwise, you can show up and hope for the best. You'll be at the top of the waiting list. Everyone else who inquired didn't bother with the interview upon hearing that the experiment was full."
OOC,[b]Barney[/b], if you read the document, please roll Law.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barney does read the thing he's signing, being in business he knows your name on the line is binding. Still, he doesn't know law well enough to know what it is exactly that he's signing. So he signs after a quick shrug. "It is hard to say where I might be today. Could I call you tonight instead? Or your assistant perhaps?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Professor Remington and I will be in and out of our offices today," said Professor Anderson, "but you're more likely to find her in hers than me in mine. I can give you our numbers. I'll be spending most of my time in the lab getting things set up for the experiment, and she'll join me there at 6:00. There is no telephone in the lab. We don't want the participants being awakened by it anyway. We've gone to some lengths to ensure that sound from outside the lab does not come in as well."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barney nodded appreciatively grabbing a pen and some paper to jot down the numbers, "Ok... I'll try your offices between 5 and 6, and perhaps again around 8 to 9 tonight. Sound good? If I don't get lucky making contact, I'll just drive on down tomorrow morning regardlessly."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Tomorrow morning?" said Dr. Anderson, confused. "But the experiment starts tonight at 8:00. I thought you knew that. You'd be required to sleep overnight in the lab for the next three nights, though you're free to keep your own schedule during the day. We'll be serving snacks in the evenings and breakfast in the mornings." He gave Barney his and Nancy's office phone numbers.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"Oh... tonight? Well, even better," Barney said enthusiastically. "If it'd be convenient, doctor, I could stick around today... you know... maybe help you get things prepared if you need a hand? I only had household chores to attend to. You know... shopping and the like? So it's no inconvenience to me just to hang around. That way, there won't be any chance of missing calls." He shrugged and added, "And even if you couldn't use a helping hand, I could go to the library and study up on my course material... or whatever. Chores can wait, they're a bit of a drag anyway." Barney pocketted the numbers regardless.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," said Dr. Anderson, "but everything we need for the experiment has already been purchased. All that's left to do to set up for it is technical in nature. Besides, you shouldn't see the inner workings of the experiment. It might invalidate the results. I suggest that you get your chores and studying done. If you get into the experiment, you'll be spending a lot of time in the lab. You will be able to study there too for some of the time, of course, but you'd have to check books out of the library and bring them with you. How is it you've arranged your schedule without any Friday classes?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barney lied, "The professor has fallen ill today. Just lucky I guess. Well, lucky for me, not for the professor."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I see," said Anderson. "Is there anything else?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barny thought for a moment, then asked, "Do you have a list of items I should have on hand? Night shirt... bathroom kit... or the like?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Just the usual things you'd bring on any overnight trip," said Dr. Anderson. "Nightshirt and toiletries are a good idea. Something to read too, perhaps. We will have a television, but not everyone will like what's on at any given time. Make sure you've already eaten dinner, but snacks and breakfast will be provided."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barney nodded, and interjected a question, "Will eating just before sleep help or hinder the study, do you think? If I go to bed with a full stomach, I can have some really bizarre dreams." He laughed, "Why this one time, I recall being in this windowless room with these three women. Music playing, wavy lights shining on the walls, we started..." he laughed again and looked at the doctor then cleared his throat, "Well, nevermind all that."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"No, please go on," said Dr. Anderson, showing obvious interest. "I'd be eager to hear about your dreams. Yes, eating shortly before sleep may influence the results unduly, so we'll cut the snacks off at around 10:00 PM. Bedtime will be midnight."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barney smiled, "Perhaps another time, doc. I'm sure you have a lot to take care of before tonight." He stood up and offered his hand to the man, "Thank you for considering me. I'm looking forward to this evening."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Anderson shook Barney's hand with a firm grip. "You're welcome, and I hope there's room for you. I'll be able to ask you more about your dreams this weekend if there is. Have a good day, Mr. Miller."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barney left the office, making a mental note to himself about his alias so he didn't botch it up later. He had some time to kill, so he thought he'd take some time tryng to look for officer Bill. He wasn't sure where the fellow might be, but he imagined the man wouldn't be too far away from the university, so he checked in the library, cafeteria, and any local diners. If he came up short, he would head home and start packing an overnight bag.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Barney[/b], please roll Idea.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death