IC-Chapter 1-Comfortably Numb(Barney Brainstorm/Bill Johns)

Bill Johns and several other people attempt to understand the significance of the appearance of a new drug named Morpheus and its use in an experiment with college students as test subjects.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Re: IC-Chapter 1-Comfortably Numb(Barney Brainstorm/Bill Joh

Post by Philulhu »

Bill nodded. "You willing to give it a shot?" he asked. "We'll give you any back-up you need."
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barney's eyes narrowed, "I don't get that. You said you're from the future, how is it the police have your back? What do you mean by 'we'?"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

"Where I come from," replied Bill, "I'm a history professor. Here, I'm a cop - go figure!" He shook his head. "I don't know why I didn't come back as my younger self - or even why I've come back at all - but I've got a badge and a gun, so I guess that means I've got the law on my side."
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"Yeah..." Barney says absorbing the details and trying to make sense of it. "So ... what you're telling me is the trip you took is all mental, man... right? You are ... for lack of a better word, borrowing this body." He lifted an eyebrow and asked, "Have you considered the possibility that this is just some sort of dementia and you really do need help?" He laughed and said, "I knew this one cat... man dropped some bad acid... thought he was a dog for a whole week."

He shrugged and said, "Doesn't really matter to me one way or another, as long as I have some help with this whole sleep experiment thing. You could be Abraham Gandhi and I'd be cool with that."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Bill shakes his head. He considers trying to explain to Barney about how he's still in the same body, just in a different job and a different time, but decides it's not worth the headache.

"Right, so you're going to do the experiment," he says, "So what do you need from us?"
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barney shrugged... "A gun would be cool, man. And one of them walkie-talkies... but I imagine that'd be hard to hide under a hospital gown. Still... they'd have to give us a locker or some place that we can secure our belongings. It'd be nice to know I had something I could get to in the event things get ... weird ... -er." He considered for a moment and then added, "I should probably take a camera too... snap some evidence while I can."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Bill had reservations about the gear that Barney was asking for - the guy seemed to think he was Jason Bourne - or James Bond.

"Some of that stuff might be difficult to hide," he replied, "Let me talk to my boss and see what we can do." Bill thought for a moment. "Are you licensed to carry a gun?" he asked.
Last edited by Philulhu on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"You need a license?" Barney asked.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

"Jeez, I dunno," said Bill. "Things have changed..." He glanced at his watch. "Look, I need to speak to my LT, though I don't know whether he'll still be at the station. Have you got a number I can reach you on?"
OOC,time check please. Sorry about the confusion over gun laws. Even a quick scoot round the internet didn't seem to help... :(
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barney nodded and gave him the number to his flat. "Look ... officer... um... what's your name again?"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

"Detective Sergeant Johns...... Bill," he replied, offering his hand to shake. "I'll get back to you as soon as I can."

"I'll err.... go out the way I came in, yeah?" he asked, somewhat embarrassed.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,It's currently about 7:20 PM. The Gun Control Act of 1968 recently went into effect. I'm not completely clear on the state of gun laws in 1969 either. Most people can still own guns with no problem, but you would need a permit to legally carry one concealed. However, a foreign national like [b]Barney[/b] most likely would not be allowed to have one.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

ooc,- a Brit with a gun ... that's almost unheard of today.
Barney nodded and led the man to the front door, "Ok, Bill. Hey... don't be a stranger, but next time... make sure I'm home first." He smiled and winked. "Talk to you tomorrow. I'll get hold of Maxine first thing in the morning."
Last edited by ImpInTraining on Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Who's [b]Melissa[/b]? Do you mean [b]Maxine[/b]? [b]Bill[/b], if you're leaving, please let me know where you're going next. Then I can direct you to a new thread.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

"I'll do that," replied Bill with a slightly sheepish look. He nodded farewell to Barney and headed down the sidewalk in search of a payphone.
OOC,Ok, Bill's out of there. He'll head back to check on Mary then find a phone to speak to Yeagar.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Bill[/b] is returning to the thread linked below. Please stop reading the current thread at this point. [b]Barney[/b] remains in the current thread.
Never Get Old
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barney heads over to the TV and flips it on as he gets himself a warm glass of milk for bed.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Barney turned on the set, which took about thirty seconds to warm up, so he poured the milk while it did. The dial was set to CBS, and the friendly face of anchor Walter Cronkite appeared on the screen.

Cronkite was giving a progress report on the Apollo 11 mission, which was well on its way to the moon now and was expected to arrive there in a few days. The news program played audio recordings sent by astronauts Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins from the Apollo 11 capsule earlier in the day. Cronkite also mentioned other news of the day. Casualties continued to mount in the Vietnam War. The so-called Soccer War, though Barney knew the game better as football, between Honduras and El Salvador, was still underway after three days. The Organization of American States was pushing for a cease-fire, but so far El Salvador had rejected it. Still, there was hope for a breakthrough in the talks soon. By the time the news report ended, it was 8:00 PM.
OOC,What time do you want to go to sleep, and is there anything else you want to do tonight?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

ooc,Nothing else to do tonight except wait and sleep. Barney will be retiring early so he can wake up early, get a quick shower, some breakfast, and head on down to meet Maxine - barring other incidents.
Barney enjoyed the rest of his milk, turned off the TV, rinsed out the cup, and headed into the bathroom. There, he washed his face, brushed his teeth, and got undressed for bed.

In the bedroom, he hopped under the covers, grabbed up a book he had been reading titled "The Godfather" and read a couple chapters thinking that it would make a great movie.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Sleep soon overtook Barney, in spite of the recent excitement. The warm milk seemed to have done the trick.

When Barney awakened, sunlight was streaming through the window.
OOC,[b]Barney[/b], please roll Spot Hidden.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 1”