IC-Chapter 1-Comfortably Numb(Barney Brainstorm/Bill Johns)

Bill Johns and several other people attempt to understand the significance of the appearance of a new drug named Morpheus and its use in an experiment with college students as test subjects.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Re: IC-Chapter 1-Comfortably Numb(Barney Brainstorm/Bill Joh

Post by ImpInTraining »

Idea - success,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3802562/]Idea (80%) (1d100=79)[/url]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

It occurred to Barney that Bill's duties for the police and his investigation of the situation could send him anywhere, not just to the university, and he'd be unlikely to find him even if he were on campus. The one place he knew that Bill would have to go at some point was police headquarters.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barney nodded to himself, commenting aloud to no one, "A grand point." He would go to the police headquarters after securing the overnight bag.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Police Headquarters, Franklin Square - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
10:30 AM - Friday, July 18, 1969

After packing his bag, Barney made his way back into town to police headquarters, where he arrived in late morning. He entered the vestibule, where a different desk sergeant than the one he had met the night before last sat behind the window. "Can I help you, sir?" he asked.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"Top of the day to you, Officer. I was wondering if you could point me to a Detective Sergeant Johns," Barney stated. "First name, Bill. He should be expecting to see me, I'm just not too certain he'd be here. My name is Barney Brainstorm."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Let me check and see if he's in," said the sergeant. He picked up the phone and dialed.
OOC,You're somewhat ahead of [b]Bill[/b], so we'll need to pause here and wait for him to catch up with you before I know whether he'll be there or not.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

ooc,No worries... still sticking with this thread?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Yes, for now. If I move you to another thread, I'll post in this thread with a link to the new one.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Hello, this is the lobby," said the desk sergeant. "Is Sergeant Johns there?" He paused. "Okay, thank you." He looked back at Barney. "I'm sorry, but he's out in the field. Would you like to speak to his colleagues? Sergeant Charlie Rawlings and Detective Harry Sawyer are upstairs."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"Can I just leave a message for him if he returns here before I see him? He asked for me to check on something for him as a favor," Barney lied. "I'll probably see him later anyway, but I wanted to check in and bring him up to speed if I could."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Sure, you can leave a message," said the desk sergeant, taking out a slip of paper and a pen. He poised the pen to start writing. "You might also want to leave a phone number and an address where you can be reached."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barney says "He already knows where to find me. My phone number is..." he went on advising the desk sergeant of his phone number and that he would be at the university campus that evening. He gave a time one hour prior to the start of the sleep study experiment and identified a convenient pubkic place where he would be waiting (library or cafeteria).
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'll let him know, sir," said the sergeant, writing down the information. "Have a good day."
OOC,That will put the meeting at 7:00 PM. You've got plenty of time before then if there's something you want to do. If you go to a library, you'll have enough time for two Library Use rolls to research topics of your choice.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Library checks - #1 succeed & #2 succeed,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3876458/]Library Use #1 (55%) (1d100=46)[/url] ; [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3876462/]Library Use #2 (55%) (1d100=46)[/url] ... heh, what are the odds of rolling two 46's in a row? Like 1 in 10,000 I think. But there it is on the logs. I figure I would be researching something I haven't already spent time checking up on. Done research on Dr. Anderson already. I can't recall much about what I had already learned, sadly. Suppose I spend the first portion just learning about dream psychology. I could spend the rest of it researching Dr. Anderson's assistant.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Van Pelt Library, University of Pennsylvania - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
11:00 AM - Friday, July 18, 1969

Barney went to the main library on campus and began researching the psychology of dreams. There was a lot of material out there, so without a specific subject he was only able to get a broad overview in the few hours he was spending. Psychologists had been analyzing dreams for decades to learn something about the psyches of their patients. Dream interpretation had been done since ancient times, though only relatively recently had it become a science. Sigmund Freud, regarded as the father of psychology, believed that the purpose of dreams was to achieve the unfulfilled desires of the dreamer and thus keep the dreamer asleep throughout the night. He termed dreams the "royal road to the unconscious." He theorized that these desires were often related to early childhood wishes or memories. He broke down dreams into what he termed manifest and latent content, with manifest content being merely what happens on the surface in a dream and latent content being the dream's true meaning, hidden by the manifest content. As was typical with Freud, at first he held that most latent content was sexual in nature, but in later works he backed away from this. Freud also looked at the influence that trauma and aggression could have on the content of dreams, and he even speculated about the possible supernatural origins of dreams in his lecture Dreams and Occultism.

Carl Jung had studied under Freud, but he rejected many of his mentor's theories. Jung held that dreams were messages from the dreamer's unconscious mind, and that you should pay attention to your dreams for your own benefit, as it could help to reveal and solve problems. He believed that recurring dreams were especially important, as they were repeating the message for emphasis. He also said that memories from one's experiences during the day often affect one's dreams that night, which he termed a "day residue."
OOC,The odds are 1 in 10,000, yes, but the odds of rolling the same number twice in a row on 1d100 is only 1 in 100 if it doesn't matter what that number is. I've seen it happen before. Right now you're almost done with your first Library Use roll. Please roll Spot Hidden at this time before I continue.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

ooc,sure... just take the wind out of my sails.
spot hidden- success!,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3878167/]Spot hidden (55%) (1d100=21)[/url]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Barney[/b] is moving to the thread linked below. You've also completed Chapter 1! At this point, you may roll for skill increases. I'll post instructions in the OOC thread.
Did You Ever Have a Dream?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 1”