IC-Chapter 1-Red Money(Terry Williams only)

Bill Johns and several other people attempt to understand the significance of the appearance of a new drug named Morpheus and its use in an experiment with college students as test subjects.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

IC-Chapter 1-Red Money(Terry Williams only)

Post by Mr. Handy »

John Morgan Hall, School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania
5:05 PM - Wednesday, July 16, 1969
Terrance Luis Williams stood across from John Morgan Hall, watching the building. To the untrained eye, he would appear to be just another student on a lazy summer afternoon. Penn's campus wasn't that busy in the summer, but there was still some activity, enough to mask his presence.

His fence and longtime friend, Jim Salavtore, also known as Jimmy the Hand, had turned him onto this job just this morning. A client who wished to remain anonymous (and had paid good money to do so) wanted to obtain a sample of an experimental substance known only as Morpheus. It was worth $500 for Terry if he could get it, far more than he got from the haul of a typical heist. A college campus wouldn't usually have the best security, and people came and went all the time. He knew that this Morpheus, a brown liquid that resembled chocolate milk, had been invented by a professor in the University of Pennsylvania's School of Medicine, one Dr. Gregory Anderson, who worked in John Morgan Hall. So now here he was casing the joint and waiting for the doc to leave. It was still light out, as it was early summer, and it would remain so for a few hours yet.

Finally, Terry's patience was rewarded. A man matching the description he had been given of Dr. Gregory Anderson emerged from the front doors, along with a man in a wheelchair, a pretty female professor, and a male professor in his early forties. They descended the stairs, the man in the wheelchair using a wooden board temporarily laid over them by the woman, and stood talking at the bottom for a minute before they all went their separate ways. The building's front doors would not be locked for nearly another hour.
OOC,[b]Terry[/b], roll Listen to see if you can overhear what [b]Dr. Anderson[/b] and the others are discussing. Just roll 1d100 and try to get less than or equal to your Listen skill, which is 75%. Also, give me an Idea roll. Again roll 1d100, this time trying to get less than or equal to your Idea score, which is 70.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Re: IC-Chapter 1-Red Money(Terry Williams only)

Post by Midnightlight »

Spoiler:
I got this for my listen: 1d100 → [19] = (19)

And this for my idea: 1d100 → [28] = (28)

So, that means I pass, right? If not, I'll edit my post accordingly.

Terry listened as best as he could, trying to make some sense of the random voices, his head churning with plenty ideas.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,That's right, you succeeded at both. Your Listen skill also gets checked (I add a [color=red]*[/color] next to it on your character sheet). Eventually you'll get a chance to possibly improve your checked skills - if you live long enough, that is. ;)
Terry's keen hearing plucked their words from the air. The male professor and the man in the wheelchair headed off in separate directions, but the female professor remained with Dr. Anderson for a moment. "I'll join them at Lenny's Bar at 7:50 as well," she said. "I hope we can find your son there."

"Thank you, Nancy," said Dr. Anderson. "You've been a great help. If Brian shows up, give me a call. Otherwise, I'll see you tomorrow morning. Good luck." Then the two of them split up and left.

As Terry watched the building, some thoughts occurred to him. While the front doors would be locked at 6:00 and the lock probably wouldn't pose too much of a challenge, not to mention that there were other ways into the building at night, there was always the risk of someone spotting him as he was doing his business. One possible way around that would be to enter the building while the doors were unlocked and stay inside. Still, someone could easily notice him and remember he was hanging around unless he stayed out of sight. Some people would still be working late and doing research after hours, but not so many in the summer as there might be during the fall or spring semesters. It might pay to wait until it got dark before actually trying to steal a sample of the Morpheus. At this time of year it got dark around 8:30. It also occurred to him that he didn't know where exactly in the building it was kept. There had to be some way he could find out. Then there was also the meeting that his associates were going to have at Lenny's Bar, and the reference to Dr. Anderson's son. That sounded intriguing, but would it help him actually get his hands on some Morpheus?

Whatever he decided to do, the next move was up to him.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

Terry, after a brief moment of thought, decided that it might be best to simply wait at home, then head to the bar, getting his information, then heading home again to prepare, the off to the school. Maybe at 9:00, since it seemed like the best way to go about the whole thing.

It didn't seem like a bad idea, after all.
Spoiler:
His apartment isn't much. Simply a work desk, futon (if they had them), a closet, a fridge, and a window. On the desk is a simple journal that he keeps.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Terry went home to his apartment and ate a humble dinner. A glance through the phone book showed him the address of Lenny's Bar, on South Street not far from Rittenhouse Square, about a mile and a half east of Penn's campus. He wrote in his journal until it was time to leave, then made his way downtown.

Lenny's Bar, South Street - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
7:50 PM - Wednesday, July 16, 1969
When Terry approached Lenny's Bar, he could already see the man in the wheelchair outside, looking in the window. Terry watched carefully from across the street, and a minute later Nancy and the unidentified male professor arrived and joined him.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

Deciding that maybe it was best to move in a little closer, as not miss anything that might be vital (such as the location in where he could obtain a sample of Morpheus), Terry, in the most nonchalant manner he could, walked across the street, and entered the bar, and sat nearby. He hoped he could learn something, anything that might be helpful.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Terry[/b] is moving to the following thread.
All the Young Dudes
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Terry's Apartment - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
8:10 PM - Wednesday, July 16, 1969
Terry returned to his apartment to make his plans. The sky was just starting to get dark when he arrived.
OOC,[b]Terry[/b], since the apartment is yours, feel free to describe it if you like.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

Sitting down at his desk, Terry wrote an entry in his journal.

"At the bar this evening, I overheard two of the people I was watching at the university earlier today. They seemed to know I was following them, and I didn't feel exactly safe knowing that they might know what I'm up to. If this goes down the way I expect, I might be suspected for sometime. It was sort of small, but I hope I convinced the girl. But I hope this isn't going to be too tough. After all, it looks like chocolate milk, according to Jimmy."

Finishing up, he closed his journal, and opened his fridge, pulling out an apple. Eating it, he prepared his kit, grabbing his lock pick set, a leather mask, and a small cloth bag.

Stepping outside, he locked the door, and bike to the university.
Last edited by Midnightlight on Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

John Morgan Hall, School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania
8:30 PM - Wednesday, July 16, 1969
Terry biked back to campus with the tools of his trade, arriving near John Morgan Hall as night was beginning to set in. There were very few people around now on this summer night, which was still fairly warm.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

Terry walked by the main entrance, seeing if it was a suitable entrance, and checked around the back as well, not exactly looking at the area, but gazing over it a quick moment before continued back to the front.

Walking across from the entrance, he sat down beside a tree, and thought for a moment.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

By doing a circuit around the building, Terry was able to see that there was a back door as well as the main entrance. Either could be used to gain access, but both were sure to be locked at this hour. There was a greater chance of being seen at the main entrance, but if he were seen at the back it would be harder for him to explain his presence.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

Deciding that the back was his best bet of entering the place, Terry walked calmly by the back door and examined it thoroughly. Checking it, if he found it to be locked, he would attempt to pick it, hoping to gain entrance.
Spoiler:
Sorry I didn't reply right away. I've been a bit busy playing Fallout 3 (which I'm sure you know about from your username =D).
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I know about Fallout 3, but haven't played or even bought it yet. I have played 1 and 2. From everything I've heard, Fallout 3 isn't true to the legacy of the first two games, but it may be enjoyable. I'm waiting for the price to come down and for a "Game of the Year" edition or something similar to come out that bundles the base game with the expansions. It's still $50, which is a good deal more than I'd like to pay, especially if I had to buy the expansions on top of it. Don't worry about not replying right away. I only expect players to post about two or three times a week, and sometimes that's all I can manage myself. You're in a thread by yourself, so things can proceed mostly at your own pace.
The back of John Morgan Hall was not well-lit and not heavily trafficked, which suited Terry's purposes. He approached the back door, which would lead into the basement level. The double doors in front were at the top of a flight of stairs and gave access to the ground floor. Terry tried the handle, but of course it was locked. This door was probably kept locked during the day too, at least from the outside, but it could probably be opened from the inside freely in case of fire. He got out his tools and set to work.
OOC,[b]Terry[/b], roll Locksmith to pick the lock. If you fail, roll Luck. If you fail [i]that[/i] roll too, roll Listen.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

Spoiler:
1d100→ [52] = (52) for locksmith roll. So, I don't have to do the other rolls?

Terry crouched down, examining the lock very carefully. Pulling out a small screwdriver from his pocket, along with his other tools, he began work on the lock, unlocking the door a few minutes later.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,That's right, you only would have needed to make the next roll in the series on a failure. Before you ask, you do have a flashlight in with your tools.
The lock proved to be little challenge to someone of Terry's skills, and he had the door open in short order and slipped inside. He was in a basement hallway that stretched on for a short distance and rounded a corner to the left up ahead. There was a door in both the left and right walls, neither of them labeled. The faint moonlight streaming through the open back door enabled him to see somewhat, but the lights were off down here. It would be completely dark around the bend.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

Carefully taking out his flashlight, he turned it on for a brief moment, then shut it off again. The best plan of action would be to get access to the main office, find the location of the professor's classroom. Or at least somewhere he could get access to some of his notes.

Walking down the hallway carefully, he felt jittery for a moment, but felt fine after a moment. He should feel safe in the dark, not the other way around. Equiping his flashlight, he ventured down the hallway, ignoring both doors, instead head down the dark hallway. Reaching the corner he turned his light on, but kept it covered by his hand. Slowly, he shone the light down the hallway.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

When Terry looked around the corner, he saw more doors lining the corridor on the left and right sides. At the far end of the hall was a staircase leading up to the ground floor. The hall was deserted.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

Seiing the stairwell, Terry let loose a sigh of relief. Taking note of all the doors, he shut the light back off again, and walked slowly down the hallway, towards the staircase.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

As Terry approached the stairs, he heard a man's voice from somewhere in the distance behind him: "Hello? Is anyone in there?" The hall behind him was empty.
OOC,[b]Terry[/b], roll Listen to pinpoint the exact location from which the voice is coming.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 1”