IC-Chapter 1-Holy Holy(Father Levington/Harry Sawyer)

Bill Johns and several other people attempt to understand the significance of the appearance of a new drug named Morpheus and its use in an experiment with college students as test subjects.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: IC-Chapter 1-Holy Holy(Father Levington only)

Post by Mr. Handy »

The threesome walked through the woods for a few hours as the sun got lower in the sky. It was just starting to set when they arrived at the gates of Ulthar. The city looked like a quaint medieval town, surrounded by stone walls. Lanterns were already lit at the gates and in some of the buildings visible through them. Two men in chainmail armor carrying spears and two large cats stood guard at the gates. The men stood still on either side while the cats prowled back and forth.

"Hail, Snookums," said one of the cats, a tabby with a long tail.

"Good evening, Felix," said Snookums. "I've got a couple of new guys with me that I'm showing around."

"Welcome to Ulthar," Felix said to Nathaniel and Harry.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
TheAlchemist
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by TheAlchemist »

"Nice to be here," Levington said, frowning.

"It's really going to take me a while to get over the idea of talking cats." Levington said, somewhat to himself.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Me too," said Harry. "Well, there's always Sylvester. He talks with a lisp. 'Thufferin' Thuoccotash!' he'd always say."

"Well, I hope you enjoy your stay here," said Felix. The men smiled and waved for the travelers to enter, but they didn't speak a word, oddly enough.

"Follow me," said Snookums, leading Nathaniel and Harry through the gates and into the city of Ulthar. The streets were narrow and cobblestoned, and the buildings were quaint and trimmed with wood painted different colors. A palace was visible towards the center of town rising above the other buildings, with flags on its turrets fluttering in the early evening breeze. Humans and cats made their way through the streets, sometimes alone or in pairs, sometimes in small groups, as they went about their business. "We'll be safe enough in Ulthar, even after it gets dark. If you like, I can show you some of the sights while there's still a little light, or we could go shopping in the marketplace. If you want something to eat now and you're tired from traveling, I know of a good inn."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
TheAlchemist
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by TheAlchemist »

"Hmmm," Levington said. "I can go shopping anytime. How about seeing the sites Harry?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Sounds good to me," said Harry. "Let's go."

"I'll take you to the Temple of the Elder Ones first," said Snookums. "The keeper of the temple is a very old and wise man named Atal. This way." He led the two men through the twilit streets of Ulthar, soon arriving at a modest stone building near the center of town. A pair of stout wooden doors stood closed in the front wall of the temple. The cobblestone path leading up to it was lit by a row of bronze braziers on either side.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
TheAlchemist
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by TheAlchemist »

"Bunch of pagans," Levington said, not unkindly, chuckling.

"So, these Elder Ones, are they like the Great Ones, or are they something else?" he asked.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You know, I'm not quite sure," said Snookums, "but I think they are something else, something far older than the Great Ones. Atal would know better than I. Are you ready to go inside? He won't have eaten his supper yet, so he should still be there."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
TheAlchemist
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by TheAlchemist »

"Sure." Levington said. "Let's go in."

Levington walked up to the doors of the temple, looked at them for a moment, and then asked:

"Is there any sort of protocols or customs I should follow? I don't want to be impolite."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Snookums shrugged, an odd gesture for a cat, but he managed it. "Just be polite, as you would towards anyone of note," he said. "Atal is an elder, and a very wise man. He is highly honored in Ulthar. He is used to dreamers coming to see him, so he will understand your mannerisms and customs just fine."

Harry knocked on the doors and waited a moment. Soon the sound of shuffling feet could be heard on the other side, and the doors were pulled open from the inside, creaking as they spread wide to reveal a long room with a gray stone floor and wooden benches. An altar was visible at the far end of the room, but it was too distant to make out details from here. The man who had opened the doors was old and wrinkled, wearing a black robe. He had long, stringy white hair and a beard that went down to his waist. His eyes revealed a great depth of intelligence. "Ah, visitors," he said. "Good evening, and welcome to the Temple of the Elder Ones. I am Atal, the keeper of this place. Please, enter." He stepped out of the way and waved for them to come inside.

"Thank you," said Snookums. He led the humans inside, and Atal closed the door. "These men are dreamers, and are new to Ulthar. They wish to see the temple."

"I would be happy to show you around, my friends. What are your names?"

"Harry Sawyer," said Harry, sticking out his hand. Atal shook it, and then offered his hand to Nathaniel.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
TheAlchemist
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by TheAlchemist »

Levington took the man's hand.

"I'm Nathanial Levington."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Atal returned Nathaniel's handshake with a firm, strong grip that belied his obvious old age. "A pleasure to meet you both," he said. "I'll gladly show you around. The temple is not very big, but it is still very interesting. My friend and mentor, Barzai the Wise, has been the High Priest here for a long time. This way, please." He began walking slowly down the length of the temple, toward the altar. "Can I offer you some moon-wine?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
TheAlchemist
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by TheAlchemist »

"Is it strong? I don't want to lose my wits."
Ricardo Azuul
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 14 years 1 month

Re: IC-Chapter 1-Holy Holy(Father Levington/Harry Sawyer)

Post by Ricardo Azuul »

"Uhm... no... thanks," stammered Harry. "I've had enough to drink already."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It's not that strong," said Atal, "but it does taste very good. I have a tendency to drink a lot of it once I get started, it's so delicious."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
TheAlchemist
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by TheAlchemist »

"I'll try a little then."
Ricardo Azuul
Layman
Layman

Post by Ricardo Azuul »

Harry contemplated briefly. \"Well, if it really is as delicious as you say, and if it won\'t make me fall asleep and wind up in another strange land of, oh, I don\'t know, talking frying pans and giant poisonous peaches, I wouldn\'t mind trying a little.\"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I assure you, it will do no such thing," said Atal. "This way, please, gentlemen." He led them to a door on the right wall, across from the altar. He opened the door and entered the small room on the other side, which contained a table and four chairs, as well as a hardwood cabinet. Atal opened the cabinet and took out three tankards and a large bottle of sparkling white wine, which he placed on the table. He poured the wine into the glasses, took a seat, and raised a glass. "To your health," he said.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ricardo Azuul
Layman
Layman

Post by Ricardo Azuul »

Harry took the seat opposite Atal and raised the tankard in front of him.

"Bottoms up!"
TheAlchemist
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by TheAlchemist »

"Cheers." Levington said, clanking his cup with the others.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Nathaniel, Harry, and Atal all clinked glasses and drank. The moon-wine positively danced on their tongues. It was very sweet and every bit as delicious as had been promised.

"If you want a refill," said Atal, "you have but to ask. I have plenty to share, we'll just have to watch we don't drink too much. When I get drunk I tend to run my mouth, and I wouldn't want to bore you by rambling on endlessly. Anyhow, if you're new to Ulthar, you should know that this is a city where men and cats live in peace. One of our most important laws is that no man my kill a cat. I see you've already made the acquaintance of one of our noble felines, and earned his friendship. Ah, but where are my manners? I've forgotten all about you, Snookums." He took a small bowl out of the cabinet and filled it with wine, placing the bowl on the floor.

"Thank you," said Snookums. He trotted over to the bowl and began to lap up the moon-wine with his tongue.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 1”