IC-Chapter 1-Red Money(Terry Williams only)

Bill Johns and several other people attempt to understand the significance of the appearance of a new drug named Morpheus and its use in an experiment with college students as test subjects.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Re: IC-Chapter 1-Red Money(Terry Williams only)

Post by Midnightlight »

Spoiler:
1d100→ [74] = (74) I tried to post last night, but it didn't go through.
Terry tried to pick the lock, but was unable to open the lock. If he had pushed any harder, he would probably break his picks.

Terry let out a soft sigh. He decided to sneak in that way for a reason, that being that the backdoor would be extremely risky. But he didn't come all this way for nothing, so Terry snuck to the backdoor, and decided to try his luck there.

"Should have waited until morning came." Terry thought.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Terry nearly had the front door's lock open, but he couldn't quite get it. He crept around the side of the building to the rear, which was just as deserted. The back door stood closed, and when he tried it, he discovered without much surprise that it had been locked again. It occurred to Terry that in a few hours it would be morning, but that should be plenty of time provided nothing went wrong.
OOC,Make another Locksmith roll to try to pick the lock on the back door.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

Spoiler:
1d100 → [88] = (88)
=(

Terry tried as hard as he could, but he couldn't pick the lock in the back either, sighing softly as he concluded his defeat.

"I REALLY should have waited until morning came."

Maybe 3:00 A.M was a mistake, but at least he hadn't been caught by the guard again, which meant he was relatively safe for the moment, but that didn't mean he should go sneaking around again.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Terry couldn't be sure if it the back door was more secure, or if it was just his imagination and it was his frustration and exhaustion that was making it harder. Either way, the door wasn't opening.
OOC,If you want, you can try to force the door open. That will require a roll against STR x 5 on 1d100. It would be obvious that you broke it open if people see the door later, but they may chalk it up to your first attempt to break in. Roll Idea if you want to try to think of something else.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

Spoiler:
Well, I rolled an idea, but it failed. But I kinda had my own idea, and I suppose you could just tell me if it's possible or not. Could I climb a tree and go in through a second story window? Also, here's a bit of a question that was on my mind. If someone has a 00% of Cthulhu Mythos knowledge, is it possible to roll a 00 and succeed if there is a skill check involved? Or is the skill check passed? I would assume it's passed, but I kinda don't know, which is sorta normal with a lot of things. =P

Terry tried to think of an idea, but he couldn't. Maybe it was best just to head home, and try this whole thing in morning. Terry sighed, and look around some more.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Terry did recall seeing some trees out in front of the building, right beneath a couple of the windows. They were actually on the first floor, the same level as the lobby, but they were elevated about ten feet above ground level.
OOC,If you have 00 in a skill, you [i]cannot[/i] succeed, so there is no roll. The only skill where this is possible is Cthulhu Mythos, as all other skills have a base level of at least 01%. A roll of 00 is actually a 100, which is the worst critical failure you can roll. The best roll you can get is 01, a critical success. If you think of something on your own, you are of course free to try it. Yes, you can try to climb a tree to a window (there are even a couple visible in the picture right beneath windows). Go ahead and make a Climb roll. If you fail, you won't be injured unless you get a critical failure (96 or higher).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

Spoiler:
1d100 → [11] = (11)
Finally!
Terry neared a tree and studied it for a moment, then jumped and grabbed onto it, edging himself up. Climbing up to one of the lower branches, he grabbed it, and steadied himself on it. He could probably get a better view from here, but maybe it would be best if he thought about it some more. Peering around, he looked carefully at the building.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Other than the doors, the windows appeared to be the only way in. Terry could see into the lobby through the window beside the tree in which he was perched. The lobby looked just as it had the last time he had been inside, and it was deserted. The window itself was within easy reach, though it was locked too. There was a latch on the inside just above the lower pane that kept it from being raised, but he could probably try to slip in one of his metal picks and trip the latch. If he could manage that, he could easily open the window and slip inside. Getting out would be easy enough. He recalled that the front doors were the type that would open just fine from the inside without a key.
OOC,If you want to try to open the latch on the window, roll Locksmith.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

Spoiler:
1d100 → [23] = (23)
I think I have a chance!
Terry inched himself out over on the branch, and began picking the lock. Each blow of the wind was putting him on edge, but he didn't fall off, and eventually picked the lock. Slipping inside, he carefully slipped inside, trying his best to land softly.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The window latch gave Terry no problem, and he slipped into the huge lobby. The front doors were still closed. Opposite them, stairs led up to the upper floors, and a hallway led back toward classrooms and labs on this floor. A bulletin board was posted on the wall to the left of the doors, with notices and flyers stuck to it with pushpins and thumbtacks. The moonlight coming through the windows was sufficient for him to see, and in a couple of hours the pre-dawn light would make things even brighter. That might not be for the best, though - the darkness was his friend.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

Terry waited for a moment before moving, first taking in his surroundings. The place seemed rather cold, but that was probably because it was dark. Terry moved over to the bulletin board, hoping to maybe find a map or something of the place. He wasn't going to turn on his light to read the notes, oh no. That was a little risky. However, he would probably take the notes off the board, and take them over to the moonlight to read them.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Terry began looking through the notices on the bulletin board. There were a lot of them, and some of them were covering up those beneath.
OOC,[b]Terry[/b], roll Spot Hidden.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

Spoiler:
1d100 → [14] = (14)
Yes! I passed it!
Terry look at the board, intently, seeing if anything strange would turn out. Maybe he could find a map of the place to find that drug, and finally get out.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Terry couldn't find a map on the board, but one flyer in particular did jump out at him:
Undergraduate and Graduate Volunteers Needed for Psychology Experiment
Earn $50.00 For Your Participation
We are seeking undergraduate and graduate students for a psychological experiment about sleep and dreams. The study will last three consecutive nights, and volunteers will need to sleep in the lab overnight. Participants will need to arrive at John Morgan Hall, Room 110 at 8:00 PM and will stay until approximately 8 to 10 AM the morning after, depending upon when they awaken. Snacks will be provided in the evenings, and breakfast in the mornings. The study will be conducted twice, from Thursday, July 3 through Sunday, July 6 and from Friday, July 18 through Monday, July 21. To volunteer, please contact Dr. Gregory Anderson, either in person at his office in Room 322 during normal office hours or by telephone at 5-2009.
The phone number must have only had five digits because the first two digits for the University's exchange have been assumed.

Terry recognized Dr. Anderson's name instantly. Room 110 would be on this floor of the building. The only exit from the lobby other than the stairs and the front doors was the hall leading further inside. Room 322, Dr. Anderson's office, would be up two flights of stairs.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

Perhaps it would be best to check the first floor, since he didn't exactly feel he could climb the stairs with confidence.

Terry snuck his way down to the door, and tried it, hoping to god that it wasn't locked.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Terry made his way quietly down the hall, looking at the numbers on the doors as he passed them. When he got to 110, his heart sank. The door was indeed locked, and unlike the others, it was locked with a deadbolt that looked new and shiny, even in the darkened hallway.
OOC,[b]Terry[/b], roll Locksmith if you want to try to pick the lock.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

Spoiler:
1d100 → [85] = (85)
Eh,I tried.

Terry tried his best to pick the lock, but he couldn't get passed the fact that there was a deadbolt there. He very much wanted to enter the room, but figured that it was best to see if there was another way to get into the room. But for now, he'd probably try his luck and sneak up stairs to the professor's room.

Waiting at the stairs, he slowly started creeping up them, hoping he wouldn't make his presence known.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The second and third floors were as devoid of people as the first. Terry made his way to Room 322, which he could tell was an office like many of the others he passed by looking through the glass pane in the upper half of the door. He tried it and found that it was locked.
OOC,[b]Terry[/b], roll Locksmith if you want to try to pick this lock.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

Spoiler:
I think Invisible Castle is down, but I ended up using my calculator, and I got a 39. If you want me to wait until I can use IC, then I will.
Terry tried his best to pick the lock, and it felt like such a long time had past since he was in here the last time.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,No need to wait for Invisible Castle, which is down. If that ever happens, you can use whatever dice rolling method you prefer - including actual dice.
Terry managed to open the lock on Room 322, which was a lot easier than the deadbolt on Room 110, and opened the door. Inside was a typical office. Moonlight streaming in through the window at the rear helped him to see. There was a desk in the center of the room with a leather chair behind it. On top of the desk were a blotter, a typewriter, a telephone, a lamp (currently turned off), and baskets marked "IN" and "OUT." The baskets had various papers in them, as well as a large manila envelope on top of the stack in the "IN" basket. The desk also had drawers, which were closed. A short filing cabinet stood at the back of the office, underneath the window, and bookshelves filled with books lined the side walls of the office.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 1”