IC-Chapter 1-Red Money(Terry Williams only)

Bill Johns and several other people attempt to understand the significance of the appearance of a new drug named Morpheus and its use in an experiment with college students as test subjects.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Re: IC-Chapter 1-Red Money(Terry Williams only)

Post by Midnightlight »

Spoiler:
1d100→ [28] = (28) for the spot hidden
Terry gazed over the papers, his eyes adjusting to the darkness.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

The materials in the papers were above Terry's head, but they appeared to be related to an anatomy class.They consisted of lecture notes and answers to test questions.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

Placing the papers back down on the desk, Terry placed everything he touched back in it's place, and left everything as it was.

The only thing he wanted to check was the lab before leaving and denying the job.

As he evaded the guard before, he was really questioning the job. He didn't want to quit, but if the guard saw him, he would be clearly be able to identify him, combined with who saw him earlier. He could go away for a long time if that happened.

Advancing with caution, he approached the door and slowly opened the door.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Terry opened the classroom door and crept out into the hall. As he did, he noticed a light on in one of the offices.
OOC,[b]Terry[/b], roll Sneak.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

Spoiler:
Why is this happening? 1d100→ [81] = (81) for Sneak. =(

And before you ask, I'm bolting out of the place.
Terry stumbled, almost falling. Knowing he surely alerted the guard again, Terry had his eyes set on the stairs, and was willing to bolt down them in a heartbeat.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Hey!" came the guard's voice from within the office. Terry sprinted down the stairs, and he could hear the footsteps behind him. He also saw the flashlight beam above him, but so far the light had not fallen on him. As he reached the bottom of stairs, he could see the double doors at the far end of the vast lobby. But then he realized something else. While he could reach the doors ahead of the guard, there was a good chance the guard would get a decent look at him before he got outside if he went that way.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

Terry knew that it would be over if he was seen, but perhaps it would be easy to escape them same way he came in. Chances were that the guard was still upstairs looking for him. Maybe the door was still unlocked. Even better if the backdoor was still open.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Terry hurried back down to the basement, the guard's footsteps still pursuing him. He ran around the corner before the guard reached the bottom of the stairs, heading for the back door.
OOC,[b]Terry[/b], roll Luck.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

Spoiler:
1d100→ [45] = (45) for luck.

I have a question. Am I playing right? It seems all I do is go down a bad path, and I'm trying my best to be careful. Not that I'm complaining or anything. =P
Terry prayed, hoping the door wasn't locked.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Yes, you're playing very well! Don't worry about bad things happening; they usually do. :twisted: You've made a few mistakes, but they're mistakes anyone can make, and it's all part of the fun. Running and hiding is often a good strategy, whether your adversaries are human or otherwise.
Terry saw that the back door was now closed, but he was relieved to find that the guard had not locked it. He threw open the door and burst outside, the guard's footsteps echoing in the hall behind him, but his luck had held out and he did not think he had been seen. His bicycle was exactly where he had left it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

Picking up his bike, he ran with it along the pathway, jumping on it when he was at a good speed. Working his bike like no tomorrow, he pedalled hard, not looking back.

He cursed himself for not being well prepared, and was sure to give Jimmy an earful when he met with him next.
Spoiler:
Ah, ok. I know I read somewhere that it's expected that most PC's will be insane or dead by the end of a CoC game. But with my rolls, It might just be prison!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Terry hopped on his bike and pedaled like mad, rounding the corner before the guard could emerge from the back door. "Damn punk kid!" he shouted into the night, but there was no sign of pursuit. Since he was on foot, the bicycle would easily outdistance him, and he was probably out of breath from the chase anyway. Terry managed to get off of campus without incident, but where would he go now?
OOC,That's one of the stereotypes of CoC, but it's not necessarily true. While death and madness are definite risks, they don't happen as often as people think, and they can be avoided through careful play. In my other game, Zombie Apocalypse, death is fairly common, but it is the end of the world. Still, it is avoidable, and in Chapter 4 only a handful of people died. Further, every PC death and the death of at least one NPC was directly traceable to players making mistakes. There's a lot of insanity in that game too, though nobody has gone permanently insane by dropping to 0 Sanity yet in over three years of play. Of course, that may be because it's hard to survive long enough to go completely mad. One PC did hit 1 Sanity at one point. He's back up to 3 now, and he's somewhere he can avoid nastiness if he chooses, so he won't necessarily hit 0. Prison is also a real danger in CoC, though not one that springs immediately to mind for most people. Breaking and entering is a fairly common investigator activity, and it's very easy to get in trouble with the law. You've also learned one of the key lessons of CoC here: don't just jump in unprepared. It always pays to do some background research before an investigation. Something as simple as knowing your way around the building would have helped greatly. Still, you got away clean this time in spite of some bad rolls, though there may be suspicion and a higher state of alert now.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

Terry, quite tired, and a little angry, decided that it was a good idea to go home for a bit. Then it was off to see Jimmy. He wanted some answers, for this, since it was a request. He sure as hell wasn't going to steal some drug for some useless junkie.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Terry's Apartment - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
9:15 PM - Wednesday, July 16, 1969
Terry pedaled home, arriving at around 9:15 PM. He was still shaken by his brush with disaster. Jimmy lived in an apartment in South Philly, some fifteen minutes away by bicycle.
OOC,Let me know what if anything you want to do while at home, and what time you're leaving to see [b]Jimmy[/b].
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

Terry sat down at his desk and pulled out his journal. After thinkinh for a moment, he began writing.

"The job did not go as planned. I was spotted by a guard, and was chased into hiding. I was going to check the lab, but I ended up almost being caught by the guard again.

I'm leaving to give Jim a piece of my mind, and get some answers to this whole fiasco."

Placing his tools away, Terry grab another apple from the fridge, and took it with him. Thinking, he also chose to take the flashlight, considering it was dark.

Leaving his home at 9:20 p.m., Terry decided against riding his bike to visit Jimmy, realising that the guard would probably make a report to the police, and him riding his bike around would just mark him a suspect.

Sighing, Terry began the long walk.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jimmy Salvatore's Apartment Building - South Philadelphia
9:50 PM - Wednesday, July 16, 1969
It took Terry half an hour to walk through the darkened city streets into South Philly. He arrived outside the apartment building where Jimmy lived. The apartment was up on the fourth floor, and a light shone in the window.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

Terry entered the building, and began climbing to the fourth floor, wondering how he could explain everything.

Stopping at Jimmy's door, Terry waited a moment, then knocked the way he normally did to let Jimmy know he was there.

Five consecutive knocks, a short pause, then two more knocks.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jimmy's apartment building looked in better shape than the dump where Terry lived, but that wasn't saying much. Jimmy opened the door and grinned when he saw his friend. "Hey, Terry, come on in!" he said, motioning with his arm at the apartment's interior, where a threadbare couch and a leather armchair sat facing a television set in the living room. "Did you get the stuff?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

Terry grumbled for a moment, then replied to his friend.

"No. No I did not. And I'm sure you want to know why, right?" he asked, a hint of frustration in his voice.

"Well, take a seat. I'll explain the whole thing to you."

Terry took a spot on the couch, and began speaking before Jimmy had sat down.

"So, I was waiting for that professor today, and I found him. It was right outside the school, and I listened in on a conversation he was having with someone else. I ended up following them to a bar, but I was fairly certain that I was very suspicious."

Terry paused, knowing that it would be rather hard to explain the reason he came back empty handed.

"So, I took off for the school, and I entered from the back. Half way through the whole thing, a guard noticed something strange and came to investigate. I panicked, made a noise, guard chased me, I hid in a classroom, tried sneaking out again, made another noise, guard chased me again, and I ran for the exit."

His eyes wandering, Terry sighed, and finished.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jimmy closed the door and sat down on the chair. "Geez, I thought this would be a piece of cake, Terry," he said. "Easy money, five hundred bucks. I mean, it's a college campus, not Fort Knox! Normally these security guards are pretty lazy, but I guess you drew one who actually does his job. Bad luck there. Well, the good thing is you got away. You'll have better luck next time, I'm sure. Maybe there's some other way to get your hands on the stuff. You're clever, I'm sure you'll think of something."
OOC,[b]Terry[/b], roll Idea.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 1”