Page 1 of 1

IC-Chapter 1-Holy Holy(Father Levington/Harry Sawyer)

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:06 pm
by Mr. Handy
Father Levington's Home - Ivy Hills, Pennsylvania
9:20 PM - Wednesday, July 16, 1969
Father Levington reached his house in the Philadelphia suburbs and went inside. It was getting late, but he was used to staying up later when he needed to and the events of the evening had him curious.
OOC,[b]Father Levington[/b], feel free to describe your own house. Also, roll Idea.

Re: IC-Chapter 1-Holy Holy(Father Levington only)

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:36 pm
by TheAlchemist
Levington's home was not a large one. It consisted of a single story with green vinyl siding and a sloped black shingled roof. The inside of the home often suprised first time visitors because of the contrast between it and the outside of the house. While the outside was plain and similar to all the other houses in the neighborhood, the inside was finely furnished. Most rooms in the house had beautiful hardwood floors and decorative molding darlky stained. Pieces of art, both replicas and even a few original pieces hung from the walls in various places. Fine rugs, obviously not local products, but likely foreign imports, served as the center pieces for seveal of the rooms. The Library was the most finely furnished of all the rooms. Originally the library had a wall in the center of the room, and it had severed to divide two bedrooms, but it had been taken out to make room for Levingtons large collection of books. Shelves lined the walls from floor to ceiling. A massive globe sat in one corner and in various places, between book shelves and sitting on them were various nick-nacks, busts of historical figures, model ships and the like. A large, leather, maroon easy chair sat to the edge of the rooms persian rug next to a squat oak table. An electric lamp sat behind the chair. A fireplace, covered in intracate woodwork sat in the middle of the west wall near the easy chair, dormant. A stack of wood sat in a metal container next to it.

Other then the library the house contained a kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, and living room.

Coming in the front door, Levington took of his shoes, went into his library, and slumped down into his easy chair. The events of the evening had given him much to think about. He started a fire and sat there by the firelight letting his eyes drift about the room.

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:31 am
by Mr. Handy
As Father Levington looked at the shelves full of the many books in his personal collection, a thought came to him. The mention of Morpheus had intrigued him, and he could do some research on it to find out its significance. While the public libraries were closed at this hour, his own library was right here in the room. Perhaps there was something useful in one or more of his books.
OOC,[b]Father Levington[/b], roll Library Use if you want to research Morpheus. This will take a total of four hours, though you can do some of it tonight, sleep, and do the rest in the morning.

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:41 am
by TheAlchemist
Levington stood from the chair and pulled several volumns on folklore and mythology down from the shelf and paged through them.

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:26 am
by Mr. Handy
Father Levington started looking through his books, but he wasn't finding anything in them about Morpheus.
OOC,Let me know how many of the four hours you spend on research before you go to sleep. If you don't stay up until you've finished, you'll be able to finish up in the morning. Your roll failed, but not by much, so at the end of the four hours I'll give you a hint on where to look next. Don't go ahead to the morning yet, though. Just let me know when you're ready to go to sleep.

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:48 am
by TheAlchemist
While Levington enjoyed perusing through his books, he did feel rather tired. Having little to do the next day, he turned in at ten o-clock planning to get an early start the next day.

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:32 am
by Mr. Handy
Father Levington started poring through Bullfinch's Mythology, but after forty minutes he had found no references to Morpheus. He hadn't expected to come up with something that quickly, and he was feeling tired, so he retired to his bed and soon drifted off to sleep.

Father Levington was surprised to find himself standing by the side of a dirt road in a wooded area. The road stretched from horizon to horizon, and the sun was either starting to peek over it or was setting behind it in one direction. The chirping of birds filled the air, and the scent of grass and flowers was very strong. There was no sign of civilization as far as he could see. Apart from the birds, there was only one other animal visible: a calico cat lying on the other side of the road. It regarded him with obvious curiosity as it stretched and purred.

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:32 pm
by TheAlchemist
ooc,does my character think that he is dreaming?
Levington walked across the road to stand next to the cat.

"Hello there kitty," he said, bending down to pet it. "How'd we get here?"

Levington smiled, bemused that he was asking a cat questions.

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:33 am
by Mr. Handy
"Hello," said the cat, grinning at him as it spoke in what seemed perfectly understandable English. It sounded just like a human might sound when speaking, only its voice was a little high-pitched. "Well, I got here after I fell asleep. I don't know how you got here, but it was probably the same way."
OOC,Before this there was no way to tell you were dreaming, but the talking cat is a pretty big clue (and so is what it said). Even so, it's sometimes difficult to realize that one is dreaming while in the dream. Roll Idea to see if you can figure it out, and to see what you can remember about how you got here.

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:37 am
by TheAlchemist
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2203104/]Idea.[/url]
"Where are we?" Levington asked.

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:45 am
by Mr. Handy
Father Levington did realize that, while this place certainly looked and felt real, there was a certain dream-like quality about it, and he was aware at the back of his mind that cats couldn't speak. Even the cat's very words seemed to hint at the possibility that he was dreaming. He had the vaguest recollection of descending an odd stairway, and then of reaching a guarded gate, where the gatekeepers examined him before allowing him to pass. Beyond the gate, he had gone down some more stairs and somehow ended up here.

"We're in the Enchanted Wood," said the cat, "not too far to the east of the town of Ulthar."

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:51 am
by TheAlchemist
"Ulthar? I've never heard of it. I take it you've been around here before?"

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:21 am
by Mr. Handy
"Oh, yes, I come here all the time," said the cat. "My name is Snookums. Well, that's the name my Big Folk gave me. My true cat name is probably too hard for you to pronounce. When I'm awake, I'm just a simple but beloved pet, but here," Snookums pounded his chest with a paw, "I am a mighty hunter and warrior. Haven't you ever wondered why cats spend most of the day asleep? Ulthar is a nice town, one where Big Folk and cats live in peace, and I go there often. I came out here to catch one of those yummy-sounding birds for breakfast, and to see if anyone new like you was going to show up."

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:43 am
by TheAlchemist
"Aren't I a little old to be the new guy?" Levington asked, turning around to take in the scenery. Without waiting for a reply he asked: "So, what do the new guys do after getting here?"

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:38 am
by Mr. Handy
"Oh, we get all kinds," said Snookums. "Some people are older than you when they first find this place, and it's not easy to find. You must be very special to have been allowed through the gates. Most people like to explore when they get here. These lands are vast and filled with wonders, but there are also dangers. I can guide you around, if you like. I can show you Ulthar, which is a safe place, but still interesting. Or I can show you the sights to be seen in the woods."

The forest was vast and stretched as far as the eye could see. Many trees with multicolored leaves were dotted around on both sides of the road, their branches reaching quite high. The sun had been inching higher over the last couple of minutes, and the cat's mention of breakfast also indicated that it was early morning.

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:33 am
by TheAlchemist
"We're in the woods, so that might be a good place to start, if you don't mind showing me around."

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:59 am
by Mr. Handy
"No, I don't mind," said Snookums. "I love exploring the woods, meeting new people, and showing them around. You'll need to watch out for the zoogs. They live in these woods. They've gone to war with the cats in the past, but we beat them and took some of them prisoner. Now they don't dare attack us. They still like to eat Big Folk, but you'll be perfectly safe while you're with me. Let's go see if we can rustle up a bird or two while we explore. You have the look of a hunter about you. There are some nests near the vaults of Zin. The ghasts live in there, but you don't have to worry about them. They only come out at night. I can also show you the graveyard of the gugs, which is right next to them. They're really scary, but they're trapped underground now. As long as you don't go down into their realm, you're safe from them. Both places are several miles south of here, and it should only take us a few hours to walk there. Sound good to you?"

Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:17 am
by TheAlchemist
"Actually, this sounds kinda dangerous. Well. I don't know." Levington paused a moment, considering. "Alright, sure I'll follow you."

Its just a dream after all, he thougth to himself, the wonderment of his situation plain on his face. This is too vivid to pass up. He smiled. This is way too awesome.
OOC,Before I forget, I want to ask the cat about some of the weird things he said, as we're walking to wherever it is that we're going. Just a heads up.

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:30 am
by Mr. Handy
"Good!" said the cat. "This way!" He led the way south, away from the road and into the shadowy woods. The sun was starting to climb as they walked. "So, what's your name?"
OOC,Sure, go ahead and ask what you want.

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:25 am
by TheAlchemist
"I'm Nathaniel," Levington said. "What is this place exactly? I mean, you mentioned that you came here after you fell asleep, and that was weird because I have this notion in my head that I'm dreaming this whole thing up. Cats can't talk you know." He smiled."I feel like Alice in Wonderland, but yet it all seems so real. I've never had a dream like this."

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:18 pm
by Mr. Handy
"This is a world of dreams," said Snookums as he led Nathaniel onwards through the woods. Though the priest knew it was summer, the trees had multicolored leaves. Some of the colors were downright odd: pink, purple, and blue. The smell of fresh grass was prevalent here, and it all did seem very real. "It's very hard to find, but you can come here if you go down a particular staircase in a regular dream. Unlike regular dreams, this place is pretty much the same every time you visit. It does seem like it's somehow real, even though I know I'm dreaming. I don't really know how this world can exist, but I have explored much of it. Still, there's always more to learn."

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:00 am
by TheAlchemist
"What were all those things you mentioned, like zoogs and gugs and ghasts."

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:58 am
by Mr. Handy
"They're creatures that live in these woods," said Snookums. "Well, the gugs don't live on the surface any more. Like I said, they live underground and they can't come back up top. They're really huge and scary. Twenty feet tall, and their mouths are all wrong. They go from top to bottom, not left to right, and they're full of sharp, pointy teeth. I wouldn't want to run into them, so it's a good thing we don't have to. There might be some ghouls hanging around the graveyard. They like graveyards because they eat the dead, but they usually stay underground too, or in caves. They look like Big Folk a little, but their faces are kind of like dogs." Snookums said this with obvious distaste. "Ghasts are scary, but they die in the light, so we'll be safe from them as long as we don't venture underground or stay there too late. They have hooves, but they stand on two legs. They'll eat anything, including each other. Zoogs, now, those are little brown creatures that know a lot of secrets about these lands. They usually eat fungi, but they'd consider our flesh a delicacy. There's a truce between cats and zoogs, so they won't bother you as long as you're with me." Snookums looked around alertly. "In fact, there's one of them now!" He pointed off into the thick woods ahead.
OOC,[b]Father Levington[/b], roll Spot Hidden.

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:28 am
by TheAlchemist
OOC,Spot: [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2256334/]78[/url]
"What?" Levington said."Great."

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Sometimes it's good to fail a Spot Hidden roll. :)
"Don't worry, Nathaniel," said Snookums. "I'll chase it away." He stood up on all fours, arching his back and facing the thick woods ahead. He hissed loudly and bared his teeth. A second later, he resumed his normal posture. "There, it's gone. It had chased one of the Big Folk up a tree and had him trapped. I think he's a Dreamer too. Come on, let's go meet him." Snookums started trotting into the dense forest towards where he had seen the zoog.

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:11 pm
by TheAlchemist
Looking around, Levington followed the cat.

I need some red slippers, Levington thought absently.

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:24 am
by Mr. Handy
Snookums led Nathaniel through the woods to a nearby tree that was tall, with blue leaves. "Hello!" said a man's voice from above, sounding cheerful and relieved. Looking up, the priest saw a young man with short black hair sitting up in the branches some ten feet overhead. He wore demin jeans and a black leather jacket. "I'm glad you came along. I thought that little ankle-biter was going to eat me! The name's Harry. Harry Sawyer." He began to climb down, but he clumsily lost his grip and tumbled head over heels and landed in a heap at the bottom, injuring himself fairly badly.

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:39 pm
by TheAlchemist
Levington rushed over and knelt down beside the man.

"Oh man, are you all right? That was a nasty fall."

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:59 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Thanks, I'll live," said Harry through gritted teeth. "I'm always falling down, it seems." He gingerly felt his chest, on which he had landed. "I think I cracked a rib, but maybe it's just bruised, I dunno."
OOC,[b]Father Levington[/b], if you want to try to treat his injury, roll First Aid. If you succeed, roll 1d3 to see how many HP he recovers.

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:54 am
by TheAlchemist
"I'm not a doctor or anything, but let me check you out.

"You feel better?"

OOC,Booya! Hey, for future reference, if I had failed, could I have hurt him?

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:14 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Only on a critical failure (96-100). Otherwise, no harm would be done. In this case, you got a critical success, so he actually gets more HP back than usual. He [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2260104/]is now fully healed[/url].
"Thank you," said Harry with a grin as Father Levington wrapped some cloth around his chest expertly. "I feel much better now. I guess it was just bruised. I'm lucky you came along." He stood up and extended his hand. "What's your name?"

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:10 pm
by TheAlchemist
"I'm Nathaniel," he said, taking it. "I'm a bit new around here."

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:01 am
by Mr. Handy
"Nice to meet you," said Harry, shaking the priest's hand. "I'm new here too. I was wandering around lost in the woods when that little fuzzball started chasing me. Whatever it was, I guess it didn't like cats very much." He crouched down and scratched Snookums under the chin. "You're a good kitty. Yes you are."

"Thank you," said Snookums. "That creature was called a zoog. They live in these woods, but they won't bother you as long as you're with me."

"You're welcome." Harry paused in thought and scratched his own head. "Since when do trees have blue leaves? Oh, and cats can't talk!"

"Maybe we can. Maybe we've just never had anything to say."

Harry chuckled. "You've got me there."

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:09 am
by TheAlchemist
"You can come with us if you like. We're out exploring the forest."

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy
"Yes, you'll be safe if you stick with us," said Snookums.

"Thanks, I'll do that," said Harry, looking around. "Where are we, anyway?"

"We're in the Enchanted Wood. We're on our way to see the vaults of Zin and the graveyard of the gugs. We're more than halfway there already. Just follow me." With that, the cat led the way onwards.

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:17 am
by TheAlchemist
"So, how long have you been coming here?" Nathaniel asked as the group walked.

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:34 am
by Mr. Handy
"I've never been here before," said Harry as he walked along. "One minute I was drinking some chocolate milk, the next I was walking around town, only nobody seemed to notice me. I mean, people don't usually notice me, but this was different. I waved my hands in front of someone, and he didn't see me at all! Then he walked through me!" He shook his head in disbelief. "Since I was invisible, I decided to do some exploring. I was poking around an old house when I found this odd stairway leading down to the basement - only it wasn't a basement. At the bottom of the stairs, there was this huge gate and these - things, guarding it. They asked me all sorts of questions, and then they let me through. I went down some more stairs, which somehow ended up in these woods. I wandered around some more, and that's when that little brown critter started chasing me. I climbed up that tree, and that's where I met you."

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:24 pm
by TheAlchemist
"That's very strange," Levington said. "At least my experience started after I fell asleep. That must have been some crazy chocolate milk. Where were you when it started?"

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:41 am
by Mr. Handy
"I was at my desk at work," said Harry. "I'm a police detective. I found the chocolate milk in a thermos we took off this drug dealer we arrested. At least I thought it was chocolate milk. Now I'm not so sure. I've never had a dream like this, but I must be dreaming."
OOC,[b]Father Levington[/b], roll Idea.

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:59 am
by TheAlchemist
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2274089/]Idea[/url]

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:58 am
by Mr. Handy
Nathaniel recalled that Brian Anderson had been arrested for dealing drugs - among other charges - and that he had mentioned that when he was arrested, he was selling LSD to a young man named Harry who had recently started showing up at Lenny's Bar. He had also said that the drug Morpheus, which he had stolen from his father and kept in a thermos in his backpack, had been confiscated by the police.

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:32 am
by TheAlchemist
"That rings a bell," Levington said. "Doe the name Morpheus mean anything to you?"

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy
"Morpheus..." said Harry, thinking. "Sorry, never heard of it. Is it a new band? That would be a really groovy name!"

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:22 am
by TheAlchemist
Levington smiled.

"No, not a band name. But I think I might actually have run into you before. Do you happen live in Philadelphia? I think I've met some work associates of yours, Sergeant Rawlings and Lieutenant Yeager?"

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:24 am
by Mr. Handy
"Yes, that's right!" said Harry. "I work with them. How do you know them?"

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:14 pm
by TheAlchemist
"That's a little complicated." Levington thought for a moment. "I'm guessing you also know who Brian Anderson is?"

Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:10 am
by Mr. Handy
"Yeah, he's the guy we arrested," said Harry. "That thermos was in his backpack."

Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:21 pm
by TheAlchemist
"Okay, well, the day you arrested him, Brian came to talk to me. I'm a priest with St. Christopher's Church. When he was arrested he asked me to come see him. From talking to him, I believe you drank some sort of experimental drug." Levington glanced at the officer. "Don't worry nothing illegal. Anyway, after talking to him and some of your work associates I went home to sleep and wound up here."

"This must be real, its too consistent to just be a dream. I wonder if we'll remember any of this when we wake up."

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:26 am
by Mr. Handy
"How can it be real?" asked Harry. "People can't share the same dream. But what you said explains so much about what's going on. You must be my subcontractor, trying to tell me what's happening to me, and that's why you took the form of a priest. You couldn't possibly be real. Er, no offense, Father."

"Subcontractor?" said Snookums. "Don't you mean subconscious?"

"Yeah, that's it. That's what Amy would call it. She's a policeman I work with. Uh, policewoman...person."

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:08 am
by TheAlchemist
"If anybody is a figment of somebody else's imagination, its you buddy." Levington said smiling. "I know I'm real."

He patted the young man on the shoulder to assure him that he was just kidding around.

"But I suppose there isn't really any reason to worry about whether this is real. If this is just a dream, then its just a dream. I'll have to come looking for you when I wake up provided I remember."

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:36 am
by Mr. Handy
Harry Sawyer gave a lopsided smile. "Yeah, I'll have to look you up too," he said.

"You mentioned the name Morpheus earlier," said Snookums to Father Levington. "I do recall hearing it before. There's someone by that name who lives somewhere in these lands. He's one of the Great Ones, and he has his own domain, but none are allowed to enter save his own kind. He has two monsters guarding the gates to his lands, and they can take the form of anyone's greatest fears. They can found near Kadath, in the cold northern wastelands."

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:42 am
by TheAlchemist
"Great Ones?" Levington asked.

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:45 am
by Mr. Handy
"Yes, the gods of the earth," explained Snookums. "There are several of them that rule in these lands, like Oukranos the river-god, and Nath-Horthath, who rules the city of Celephais. Morpheus and his father Hypnos live in the far north."

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:59 am
by TheAlchemist
Levington grunted.

"What do you mean by gods of the earth?"

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:49 am
by Mr. Handy
"That's what they're called," said Snookums, making a gesture that was as close an approximation to a shrug as a cat could make. "They wield power in these lands, over their own domains. Oukranos rules over the river, and Nath-Hornath has Celephais, as I said. Hypnos holds sway over his own realm in frozen Kadath, in the far north. If you're thinking of journeying there, it is a long and dangerous trip, and he goes to great lengths to keep intruders out. Though they do have some power in this world, it is limited. I get the feeling that they're not really the ones running the show, if you catch my meaning."

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:58 pm
by TheAlchemist
Levington looked thoughtful.

"Sorry for asking so many questions, but this is all so strange to me. It seems important too, though I don't know in what way."

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:14 am
by Mr. Handy
"No, that's okay," said Snookums. "Like I said, I enjoy meeting new people and showing them around. Shall we continue our journey to the vaults of Zin and the graveyard of the gugs? Or...would you rather go on an expedition to Kadath? It's a long and perilous journey, but I'm willing if you are. We'd have to pass through the hostile Plateau of Leng, home to terrible spiders that eat human flesh and the Men of Leng, who can be dangerous in their own right. And even if we survived the trip, gaining entry to the realm of Hypnos and Morpheus would be extremely difficult. Few can face their greatest fears."

Harry gulped. "A walk through a graveyard sounds much more my speed than that," he said.

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:35 pm
by TheAlchemist
"Yeah," said Levington. "I'd vote for the graveyard too."

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:43 am
by Mr. Handy
"That's good," said Snookums. "A voyage to Kadath would be extremely dangerous, and not the sort of thing you want to do on your first visit to these lands. You might not have a second one. The graveyard should be fine, as long as we stay above ground. The gugs are fearsome, but they can't come up to the surface. Let's go."

Snookums led the way through the woods to the south, and Father Levington and Harry followed him. It was early afternoon before they caught sight of the edge of the graveyard.
OOC,Father Levington, roll Luck.

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:33 pm
by TheAlchemist

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:28 am
by Mr. Handy
The graveyard was shrouded in a light mist that obscured vision somewhat. There was nothing in particular to mark its boundary. There were gravestones of various shapes and sizes scattered throughout the area, seemingly not arranged in any particular order. There were a few large crypts and mausolea in the cemetery; it was probably through those that the underground tunnels of the gugs could be reached by those foolish enough to do so.

As Snookums, Nathaniel, and Harry walked through the graveyard, a sudden gust of wind cleared away the fog. No more than twenty feet to their left, a humanoid figure was squatting over a grave, digging in the soft earth. It had no shovel or other tools, but was using its bare hands. After a second, Father Levington realized that they were not hands after all, but elongated claws. Its feet resembled hooves. The being looked absolutely grotesque, with skin the texture of rubber and a canine-looking face. It wasn't looking directly at them, and it wasn't clear whether or not it had noticed their arrival.

"Ghoul," hissed Snookums, the hairs on his back standing straight up.
OOC,[b]Nathaniel[/b], roll Sanity. Sanity loss is 0/1d6, so if you succeed you lose no Sanity, but if you fail, you lose 1d6. If you lose 5 or more Sanity, roll Idea. You want to fail this roll, as succeeding at it will render you temporarily insane. If you do not go insane, roll Sneak.

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:00 pm
by TheAlchemist
"God in heaven," Levington said, under his breath, ducking behind a tomb stone.

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:45 am
by Mr. Handy
Harry took the ghoul in stride, reasoning that this was just a dream, anyway. The gravestones were too small to hide behind, but Nathaniel still hadn't forgotten how to move quietly from his hunting days. Snookums was also stealthy by nature, and even Harry managed to remain completely quiet.

The ghoul did not notice the new arrivals, intent as it was on digging up the grave. It finally pulled out a human leg. Though it had decayed somewhat, there was still plenty of meat on the bone. The creature sat on its haunches and began to gnaw on it, and soon there was less meat there.

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:50 am
by TheAlchemist
OOC,Can I see Snookums from where I am?

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:55 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Yes, you're all together.

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:47 pm
by TheAlchemist
"What should we do?" Levington whispered, looking at Snookums.

Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy
"Ghouls usually speak a kind of gibberish," whispered Snookums, "but they can be quite intelligent and some of them know other languages too. It may be possible to communicate with some of them without them trying to eat you. This one's got a meal already, so there's less risk of that, but it could still happen. They eat the dead, but they'll just as gladly eat the living. Probably the smartest thing to do would be to slip out of here, since it hasn't noticed us. The vaults of Zin aren't too far, so we can skip the graveyard if you like. It's up to you."

"Leaving sounds good to me," said Harry.
OOC,If you decide to leave the graveyard, there's no need to roll anything. The ghoul's back is to you, and all of you passed your Sneak rolls already.

Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:54 pm
by TheAlchemist
"Me too," Levington said. "We can tour the graveyard some other time."

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:35 am
by Mr. Handy
Snookums led Nathaniel Levington and Harry away from the graveyard and the feasting ghoul, which meeped with joy as it consumed the decaying flesh. It was a short walk to the vaults of Zin, which adjoined the graveyard on one side. The vaults were huge stone cenotaphs, even bigger than the mausolea that were in the graveyard. They had stone doors that led inside.

"The ghasts won't come out until it gets dark," explained Snookums. "The sun won't set for another few hours. There won't be any ghouls here, since nobody is actually buried in these vaults. The ghasts live inside, and they'd still be asleep now, but we don't want to risk waking them up, so let's stay outside."

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:02 pm
by TheAlchemist
Levington strolled around the area, hands in his pockets, taking in the scene.

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:00 am
by Mr. Handy
As Nathaniel walked among the vaults, he detected a musty odor wafting from them. Harry looked at the massive stone monuments in awe. Snookums took everything in stride, having evidently seen them before.

"I wish I'd brought my camera," said Harry.

"You couldn't bring it here," said Snookums. "I haven't seen any modern technology around these lands. The only firearms I've seen are fairly primitive. Seems like dreamers can't bring anything too advanced here. It all gets turned into something older. Flashlights become lanterns and the like. It would be back to normal when you wake up, of course."

Now that Nathaniel was closer, he could see strange carvings on the sides of the vaults depicting bizarre creatures. He recognized a likeness of a ghoul, and there were several figures that matched Snookums's description of a ghast. There were also other, larger and far more horrible things depicted as well.
OOC,[b]Nathaniel[/b], roll Sanity. Sanity loss is 0/1d2.

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:50 pm
by TheAlchemist
"I've never seen anything like this,"Levington said, staring at the cavings.

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:15 am
by Mr. Handy
Harry examined the carvings closely too, utterly bewildered. The sight disturbed him a little, for once breaking through his cheerful disposition. "Far...out..." was all he could say about them. "Do we have to stay here?"

"Not at all," said Snookums. "In fact, I'd advise against staying here too long. We could linger a little while, but we want to be away before it gets dark."
OOC,Wow, that's the second 100 [b]Harry[/b] has rolled! Still, it's sort of in character for him.

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:01 pm
by TheAlchemist
"Do these other things, do they live around here too?" Levington asked, pointing at the larger images.

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:36 am
by Mr. Handy
"The gugs do," said Snookums, indicating an image of a huge bipedal creature with four arms and a mouth on top of its head that opened from front to back. "They live under the graveyard we just saw, though their tunnels do extend under the Vaults as well. The ghouls, well you've seen one of them already, and the ghasts live right here. Luckily they can't stand sunlight, like I said. Those giant spiders live on the Plateau of Leng, which is far from here in the north. Those things-" he pointed at a dark, winged thing that had a barbed tail with his forepaw, "are nightgaunts. They fly around all over the place, so it's possible you'd see them near here. Nodens uses them as messengers. They can grab you with their claws and then they use their tails to tickle you."

Harry chuckled. "That doesn't sound too scary," he said.

"Well, it is. While you're being tickled, you'd be completely helpless. It won't cause any lasting damage, but from what I've heard it feels unbearable."

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:56 am
by TheAlchemist
Levington looked at the images for a moment or two longer.

"We probably aught to be getting out of here, huh? Where are we going to go now that it's getting dark?"

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:12 am
by Mr. Handy
"Well, we still have a couple of hours before it gets dark," said Snookums. "We can go wherever you'd like. The nearest safe place is Ulthar. I think we could get there by sundown, and then I could show you around."

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:45 pm
by TheAlchemist
"Ulthar sound good to you Harry?" Levington asked. "It sounds good to me."

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:01 am
by Mr. Handy
"Yeah, let's go to Ulthar," said Harry. "Are there any nightclubs there?"

"Um...no," said Snookums. "It's not like a modern city, more like something from the Renaissance. There are performing minstrels you might enjoy, though their music isn't exactly modern either."

The cat led the two humans away from the Vaults of Zin, heading northwest into the woods.

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:52 pm
by TheAlchemist
OOC,I'm good. I'll wait till we get there.

Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:26 am
by Mr. Handy
The threesome walked through the woods for a few hours as the sun got lower in the sky. It was just starting to set when they arrived at the gates of Ulthar. The city looked like a quaint medieval town, surrounded by stone walls. Lanterns were already lit at the gates and in some of the buildings visible through them. Two men in chainmail armor carrying spears and two large cats stood guard at the gates. The men stood still on either side while the cats prowled back and forth.

"Hail, Snookums," said one of the cats, a tabby with a long tail.

"Good evening, Felix," said Snookums. "I've got a couple of new guys with me that I'm showing around."

"Welcome to Ulthar," Felix said to Nathaniel and Harry.

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:38 am
by TheAlchemist
"Nice to be here," Levington said, frowning.

"It's really going to take me a while to get over the idea of talking cats." Levington said, somewhat to himself.

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:33 am
by Mr. Handy
"Me too," said Harry. "Well, there's always Sylvester. He talks with a lisp. 'Thufferin' Thuoccotash!' he'd always say."

"Well, I hope you enjoy your stay here," said Felix. The men smiled and waved for the travelers to enter, but they didn't speak a word, oddly enough.

"Follow me," said Snookums, leading Nathaniel and Harry through the gates and into the city of Ulthar. The streets were narrow and cobblestoned, and the buildings were quaint and trimmed with wood painted different colors. A palace was visible towards the center of town rising above the other buildings, with flags on its turrets fluttering in the early evening breeze. Humans and cats made their way through the streets, sometimes alone or in pairs, sometimes in small groups, as they went about their business. "We'll be safe enough in Ulthar, even after it gets dark. If you like, I can show you some of the sights while there's still a little light, or we could go shopping in the marketplace. If you want something to eat now and you're tired from traveling, I know of a good inn."

Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:23 am
by TheAlchemist
"Hmmm," Levington said. "I can go shopping anytime. How about seeing the sites Harry?"

Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:54 am
by Mr. Handy
"Sounds good to me," said Harry. "Let's go."

"I'll take you to the Temple of the Elder Ones first," said Snookums. "The keeper of the temple is a very old and wise man named Atal. This way." He led the two men through the twilit streets of Ulthar, soon arriving at a modest stone building near the center of town. A pair of stout wooden doors stood closed in the front wall of the temple. The cobblestone path leading up to it was lit by a row of bronze braziers on either side.

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:14 am
by TheAlchemist
"Bunch of pagans," Levington said, not unkindly, chuckling.

"So, these Elder Ones, are they like the Great Ones, or are they something else?" he asked.

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:52 pm
by Mr. Handy
"You know, I'm not quite sure," said Snookums, "but I think they are something else, something far older than the Great Ones. Atal would know better than I. Are you ready to go inside? He won't have eaten his supper yet, so he should still be there."

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:41 am
by TheAlchemist
"Sure." Levington said. "Let's go in."

Levington walked up to the doors of the temple, looked at them for a moment, and then asked:

"Is there any sort of protocols or customs I should follow? I don't want to be impolite."

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy
Snookums shrugged, an odd gesture for a cat, but he managed it. "Just be polite, as you would towards anyone of note," he said. "Atal is an elder, and a very wise man. He is highly honored in Ulthar. He is used to dreamers coming to see him, so he will understand your mannerisms and customs just fine."

Harry knocked on the doors and waited a moment. Soon the sound of shuffling feet could be heard on the other side, and the doors were pulled open from the inside, creaking as they spread wide to reveal a long room with a gray stone floor and wooden benches. An altar was visible at the far end of the room, but it was too distant to make out details from here. The man who had opened the doors was old and wrinkled, wearing a black robe. He had long, stringy white hair and a beard that went down to his waist. His eyes revealed a great depth of intelligence. "Ah, visitors," he said. "Good evening, and welcome to the Temple of the Elder Ones. I am Atal, the keeper of this place. Please, enter." He stepped out of the way and waved for them to come inside.

"Thank you," said Snookums. He led the humans inside, and Atal closed the door. "These men are dreamers, and are new to Ulthar. They wish to see the temple."

"I would be happy to show you around, my friends. What are your names?"

"Harry Sawyer," said Harry, sticking out his hand. Atal shook it, and then offered his hand to Nathaniel.

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:22 pm
by TheAlchemist
Levington took the man's hand.

"I'm Nathanial Levington."

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:36 am
by Mr. Handy
Atal returned Nathaniel's handshake with a firm, strong grip that belied his obvious old age. "A pleasure to meet you both," he said. "I'll gladly show you around. The temple is not very big, but it is still very interesting. My friend and mentor, Barzai the Wise, has been the High Priest here for a long time. This way, please." He began walking slowly down the length of the temple, toward the altar. "Can I offer you some moon-wine?"

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:00 pm
by TheAlchemist
"Is it strong? I don't want to lose my wits."

Re: IC-Chapter 1-Holy Holy(Father Levington/Harry Sawyer)

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:29 pm
by Ricardo Azuul
"Uhm... no... thanks," stammered Harry. "I've had enough to drink already."

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:54 am
by Mr. Handy
"It's not that strong," said Atal, "but it does taste very good. I have a tendency to drink a lot of it once I get started, it's so delicious."

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:26 pm
by TheAlchemist
"I'll try a little then."

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:40 pm
by Ricardo Azuul
Harry contemplated briefly. \"Well, if it really is as delicious as you say, and if it won\'t make me fall asleep and wind up in another strange land of, oh, I don\'t know, talking frying pans and giant poisonous peaches, I wouldn\'t mind trying a little.\"

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:04 am
by Mr. Handy
"I assure you, it will do no such thing," said Atal. "This way, please, gentlemen." He led them to a door on the right wall, across from the altar. He opened the door and entered the small room on the other side, which contained a table and four chairs, as well as a hardwood cabinet. Atal opened the cabinet and took out three tankards and a large bottle of sparkling white wine, which he placed on the table. He poured the wine into the glasses, took a seat, and raised a glass. "To your health," he said.

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:37 pm
by Ricardo Azuul
Harry took the seat opposite Atal and raised the tankard in front of him.

"Bottoms up!"

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:10 am
by TheAlchemist
"Cheers." Levington said, clanking his cup with the others.

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:17 pm
by Mr. Handy
Nathaniel, Harry, and Atal all clinked glasses and drank. The moon-wine positively danced on their tongues. It was very sweet and every bit as delicious as had been promised.

"If you want a refill," said Atal, "you have but to ask. I have plenty to share, we'll just have to watch we don't drink too much. When I get drunk I tend to run my mouth, and I wouldn't want to bore you by rambling on endlessly. Anyhow, if you're new to Ulthar, you should know that this is a city where men and cats live in peace. One of our most important laws is that no man my kill a cat. I see you've already made the acquaintance of one of our noble felines, and earned his friendship. Ah, but where are my manners? I've forgotten all about you, Snookums." He took a small bowl out of the cabinet and filled it with wine, placing the bowl on the floor.

"Thank you," said Snookums. He trotted over to the bowl and began to lap up the moon-wine with his tongue.

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:34 pm
by Ricardo Azuul
Harry normally drank beer, but this wine tasted like ambrosia.

His ears perked at Atal mentioning Ulthar's law.

"No man may kill a cat? Where did you get a law like that, if you don't mind me asking?"

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy
"I'm here to enlighten," said Atal. "That law is our most vital one, and it is because of that law that men and cats have been able to live in peace in Ulthar for so long. It came about after what happened with the last people who killed a cat here, well before my time. The cats of Ulthar took their rather bloody revenge on them. It's much better this way. Now we can all live in harmony. Even the zoogs leave Ulthar alone."

Snookums nodded. "We were nearly at war with the zoogs," he said, "a long time ago. We took some of the zoog nobles hostage and keep them here in Ulthar to guarantee that they don't attack us."

Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:11 pm
by TheAlchemist
Levington sipped at the moon wine, listening to the interchange.

Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:43 pm
by Ricardo Azuul
"Cats taking bloody revenge and keeping zoogs hostage? You Ulthar cats are a lot fiercer than the cats back home!" Harry said.

Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:41 am
by Mr. Handy
"It's a different world," said Snookums, shrugging again in that unfeline fashion. He lapped up some more moon-wine from his dish. "Though I saw a lion once when my Big Folk took me to the zoo. Those can be pretty fierce. I guess when you get used to people waiting on you and providing your every need, you can lose your hunter's instinct. Not me, of course. I keep it alive here. The Big Folk I live with don't really appreciate it. Once I brought them breakfast in bed, and they were very upset. Who wouldn't want a freshly killed bird?"

Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:01 am
by TheAlchemist
"Truly, humans do not have the good sense of cats."

Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:55 am
by Mr. Handy
"Yes, that's true," said Snookums matter-of-factly.

"So, is there anything you gentlemen would like to know about?" asked Atal, finishing his glass of moon-wine.

Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:37 pm
by TheAlchemist
"I was talking with Snookums earlier about these Old ones, or Great ones, whatever they are called. And Elder ones maybe. Anyway, I was wondering about them. What is the distinction between them? What is there to know about them? That sort of thing."

Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:25 am
by Mr. Handy
"Ah, yes," said Atal. refilling his glass without even thinking about it, "I can see where that can get confusing. Sometimes these terms can be used interchangably, but there are subtle differences. You can study the subject for a lifetime and still not know the half of it. Probably better off not knowing too much, if you ask me. This is the Temple of the Elder Ones. There are a few of them, but they have considerable power. The most famous one around here is Bast, the Cat Goddess. All the cats of Ulthar reverence her."

"We are her children," said Snookums, bowing his head.

"There is also Hypnos, who lives in the frozen land of Kadath. He is the Lord of Sleep. And there is Nodens, the hunter. The Nightgaunts serve him." Atal took a drink as he paused.

"Those are black flying creatures with claws and long, barbed tails. They'll pick you up and tickle you if you're not careful."

"Now, the Great Ones, those are the weak gods of the earth that rule in these lands. Nath-Horthath, for instance, rules over the city of Celephais, while Oukranos is in charge of the river. My old friend Barzai the Wise is their high priest here in Ulthar. There are books that give more details about all of these beings, but usually they are better left unread. They can warp a man's mind, teaching him things he was not meant to know."

Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:59 am
by TheAlchemist
"Not meant to know? I've never heard of a little book learning harming anyone. What do you mean?"

Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:41 am
by Mr. Handy
"Some books impart knowledge that can drive men mad," explained Atal. "It changes the way you see the world, exposing horrible truths and shattering our protective illusions. Such books must be treated with care and respect. Some say they should be destroyed, but I disagree. The knowledge within them, though dangerous, can be useful too. That's why I keep one here at the temple. That way it cannot harm the innocent, but it is still preserved."

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:35 pm
by TheAlchemist
"What is this book about? Or am I already asking more than I really want to know?"

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:38 am
by Mr. Handy
"It's called the Pnakotic Manuscripts," said Atal.

"Narcotic Manuscripts?" asked Harry, confused.

"No, Pnakotic. There's a silent P in front. They tell of a time in the distant past, before man ever set foot on the Earth, and of strange, powerul beings." He finished his drink and was about to pour himself another glass before he stopped himself. "I'd better not have any more."

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:43 pm
by TheAlchemist
Levington looked into his glass, twitching his lips back and forth.

"Hmph." He swished the wine in the glass. "Have you ever read it?" he asked after a while.

Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:02 am
by Mr. Handy
"Oh, yes, I have," said Atal. "I have a strong mind, so I was able to withstand the shock. It's hard to watch a book for many years and not read it, you know. Eventually I had to open it out of sheer curiosity."

Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:05 am
by TheAlchemist
"You don't seem off your rocker to me," Levington said, taking another sip of moon wine, enjoying the dimming of his overwhelmed mind. "I suppose curiosity didn't kill the.... err... person, in this case." Levington said, glancing at Snookums.

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:41 am
by Mr. Handy
"Well, cats are people too," said Snookums.

"No, I'm all right," said Atal, "but I do have a strong mind and am able to resist such things better. I couldn't just show it to anyone, though."
OOC,[b]Nathaniel[/b], if you want to try to convince [b]Atal[/b] to let you see the book, you can roll Persuade, or you can roll Idea to try to think of another way.

Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:39 am
by TheAlchemist
OOC,I think Levington will ulimately pass on trying to get a look at the thing, though he (and I) certainly want(s) to look.
"I didn't mean any offense Snookums, the normal uphemism just didn't seem quite appropriate," Levington said, smiling.

"You said that the book is valuable," he said, turning back to Atal. "But what good can a book that is so dangerous do?"

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:16 am
by Mr. Handy
"The knowledge within its pages could be used for good or evil," said Atal. "I need to protect it to ensure that it does not fall into the wrong hands. Though it can compromise your mind, the informaton it contains could also be the only way to thwart powerful beings that would otherwise ride roughshod over us all."

Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:10 am
by TheAlchemist
Levington did not reply to that, he merely sat back, his eyes contemplative. Atal had given him much to think about.

After a while, he spoke again.

"Do you think you could tell me a bit more about this place? The dream lands I mean."

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:45 am
by Mr. Handy
"Of course," said Atal, "but the study of these lands could take years, so let's narrow it down. What specifically would you like to know about?"

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:42 am
by TheAlchemist
"Where to begin," Levington said, smiling. "Lets start with my being here. If I'm here, am I no longer where.... I was? I came here after I fell asleep if that helps my question make any sense. And can I get back home?"

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:43 am
by Mr. Handy
"Ah, yes," said Atal. "You are both here, and you are asleep back where you came from, at the same time. If you die in these lands, you will return to the waking world. You will likely be unharmed, though it is possible to suffer a heart attack from the shock. However, you would be unable to return to our lands. You can and will get back home, when you awaken normally. Time flows differently in this world, so a night in your world could be days or even weeks here. It depends on how long you dreamed before you found the gates to this world."

Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:19 am
by TheAlchemist
" Will I come here every night when I dream?"

Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:54 am
by Mr. Handy
"Not every night," says Atal. "You'll have to make a conscious effort to find the stairways that lead you to these lands. It's possible you don't remember how you found them the first time, so that could take some doing. This world can play tricks on your memory."

"Once you know the route," says Snookums, "you can come here any time. I certainly do. The stairs will always bring you to the area of the Enchanted Wood where we met."

Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:07 am
by TheAlchemist
"How many people who live in this land are dreamers like me?"

Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:51 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Oh, there are many," said Atal. "How many there are, I do not know. It is also said that some people have found a way to enter these lands while awake, and to stay here forever. Since you can live a much longer life in this world than you can in yours, such a possibility would be a strong attraction. However, those who enter these lands while awake and die here do not return to the waking world."

"What about the people native to this world?" asked Harry. "Where did all of you come from?"

Atal grinned. "It is my theory that all of the inhabitants of this world are descendants of those who found a way here while awake."

Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:23 am
by TheAlchemist
"That makes sense. Wait. If people from the waking world can come here while awake... can creatures... like that thing we saw in the graveyard," Levington said, looking at Snookums, "go there?"

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:41 am
by Mr. Handy
"We saw a ghoul," said Snookums.

"Ah, yes," answered Atal. "You are wise to ask that. There are ghouls in the waking world just as there are here."

"Wait, those things are real?" asked Harry, his eyes widening.

"Oh, indeed. They live in tunnels beneath the ground. Some of these tunnels are said to connect the world of dreams to the world from which you came. The ghouls travel back and forth seemingly at will. They tend to live near - and under - graveyards. Unless you go looking for them, you're unlikely to see them in your world."

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:41 am
by TheAlchemist
A shiver ran down Levington's spine.

"Great. Now I'm constantly going to be looking out my office window at the church to see if anything has crawled out of the graveyard across the street," he said, smiling wryly.

"I'd like to take you up on that tour of the temple if you don't mind Atal. I don't have any more questions for the moment."

Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:54 am
by Mr. Handy
"Of course," said Atal, leading the way back to the main room of the temple. "And don't worry overmuch about the ghouls. They're very good at not being seen, and they don't want to draw attention to themselves. If you discover that any of the graves have been disturbed, however, there's a good chance they've been at work."

Nathaniel, Harry, and Snookums followed Atal to the back of the room, behind the altar. There was a sturdy door there, but Atal reached under his robe and pulled out a shiny silver key that hung on a silver chain about his neck, with which he unlocked it. He opened the door and motioned at the smaller square room beyond it. The walls were lined with tapestries depicting fantastic scenes, some of which contained creatures that they had heard described before, including a ghast as well as a hideous and just plain wrong-looking gug. There were also some monstrosities that were like nothing anyone had ever told them about. On the other hand, there were idyllic scenes featuring cats and humans in harmony. One tall, strikingly handsome man with Greek features was displayed prominently. In the center of the room was a table upon which rested an ancient black tome with a dusty leather cover. The visible edges of the pages were yellowed with age. "This is the Inner Sanctum. It is here that I keep the Pnakotic Manuscripts safely locked away."

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:54 pm
by TheAlchemist
"These tapestries are beautiful," Levington remarked. "Who is that man, he seems to stand out," he asked, pointing at the man with Greek features.

Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:35 am
by Mr. Handy
"Ah, that would be Hypnos," said Atal, "the god of sleep. He's known in the waking world too. The Greeks in particular had knowledge of him."

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:31 am
by TheAlchemist
"The greeks? I can't say I recall Hypnos from mythology. Could you tell me something more of him?"

Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy
"Of course," said Atal. "He lives in his own realm in these lands, in the frozen northern wastes of Kadath. He sleeps in a cave, watched over by his son Morpheus. The two of them are chiefly responsible for dreams."

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:48 pm
by TheAlchemist
To that point, between the "day's" activities and the moon wine, Levington had looked listless, but at the mention of the name Morpheus, his eyes sharpened.

"Morpheus!" Levington exclaimed. "Harry, this can't be a coincidence. That's the name of the drug you drank, remember?"

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy
"Hey, yeah, that's right!" said Harry. "But you didn't drink it, and you ended up here too."

"There are various substances that, when consumed, can aid with dreams," said Atal. "They might make it easier to find your way to these lands, and they can have other effects too. It is still possible to come here without the assistance of drugs or potions, but it is more difficult. I have never heard of one named after Morpheus before, but it makes sense to call it that."

"Well, you wouldn't have heard of it. It's new."

"So much passes in the waking world of which I am not aware. It is only from dreamers such as yourselves that I can get news like this."

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:34 am
by TheAlchemist
"Why would a person want to force their way into the Dreamlands?" Levington asked, half speaking to himself.

Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:38 am
by Mr. Handy
"Well, there's no way to force your way in," said Atal. "Only those worthy can find the way and pass the gates. But there are some substances that can help you find the way. There are many reasons why a person might want to come to our lands. To escape from the waking world is a common one. There is also much wisdom and knowledge to be had here. Others come for adventure. You must each ask yourselves why you are here and find your own answer."

Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:19 pm
by TheAlchemist
Levington stood still for a while, letting his thoughts percolate.

"So, what could have brought me here? I didn't know such a place existed, and I had no reason for seeking the dreamlands out."

Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:27 am
by Mr. Handy
"Many people find the path here purely by accident," says Atal. "Usually, it is those who like to explore, or who have a love of adventure and a fascination for the unknown. Many people who come here do not even remember how they got here. Anyone can find the stairs that lead to our lands' gates in an ordinary dream. Not anyone can pass the tests to go through those gates, though. That takes someone special indeed." He paused. "It is also possible that something drew you here, something you had experienced while awake. Both of you had some interest in Morpheus, so your dreams may have steered you to this place as a result."

Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:16 am
by TheAlchemist
"Hmph."

Levington seems to chew on that for a while, his eyes roaming about the room.

"This is all very pretty," he remarks. "It's too bad such decoration is no longer in style in my world."

Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:37 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Yes, that is too bad," said Atal. "I have heard tell of some of the classical artwork of your world from visitors such as yourself. Also of the modern variety, which from the descriptions leaves much to be desired. Still, styles and times change, and what is old may become new again one day. Is there anything else you would care to know, or would you rather retire for the night? There is a good inn nearby that I can recommend."

Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:44 am
by TheAlchemist
"The inn sounds great," Levington says. "I'm feeling my age tonight. Thank you for showing me around and answering my questions. You've been a wonderful host."

Levington frowns.

"I don't mean to be crass, but how will I pay for a room at the inn? What goes for money here?"

Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:08 am
by Mr. Handy
"We use coins of precious metals," said Atal. "Gold and silver. We don't have any use for paper currency such as I've heard you use in your world. I'm sure you can work something out with the innkeeper. The Cat's Meow is used to taking in weary travelers from your world. They will often exchange a meal and a room for the night for a song, or for news or stories of your own land. You are quite welcome, and please feel free to return any time."

"Thanks," said Harry. "Guess we'll need to sing for our supper, then."

"I can guide you to the inn," said Snookums.

Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:23 am
by TheAlchemist
"Thanks," Levington says to Atal.

Then to Snookums: "Lead away."

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:48 am
by Mr. Handy
"Pleasant dreams," said Atal as they departed.

Snookums led Nathaniel and Harry to a quaint little inn on a quiet side street. It looked like something out of Renaissance Europe. An iron lantern hung beside the door, lit now that the sun had gone down. ABove the door a sign swung gently in the breeze. It said "The Cat's Meow" and bore a picture of a cat singing at the moon.

Inside was a wood-paneled common room with a roaring fireplace. Stairs led up, presumably to rooms, while tables were spread throughout the room and a bar ran its length. The bartender was a plump, jovial man who looked to be about fifty years old, bald and with a gray beard. The guests were a diverse lot. Most of them were human, but there were also a few cats lapping up milk from bowls set on tables or the bar. A blonde barmaid in her mid-twenties with long pigtails was serving drinks and food to the customers.

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:42 pm
by TheAlchemist
Levington stood in the doorway, seemingly dumbfounded.

"It's like stepping back in time," he said to no one in particular. Then he walked up towards the bar waving at the bartender.

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:26 am
by Mr. Handy
The bartender smiled at Nathaniel. "Welcome to The Cat's Meow, travelers!" he said. "I am Gregor, the innkeeper. How may I help you gentlemen this fine evening?"

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:46 am
by TheAlchemist
"I'm in need of a room for the night," Nathaniel says. He grins sheepishly. "The problem is that I don't have any money. I've been told that I might be able to offer you a fair trade for a room, but I'm not really from around here."

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:24 am
by Mr. Handy
"Neither are most of our guests," said Gregor. "Visitors from faraway lands often have interesting stories to tell. Tell a good one, and that will cover your room and board for the night."

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:48 am
by TheAlchemist
"A good story. Any popular subjects?"

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:42 am
by Mr. Handy
"The stories I like best from travelers are stories from their own lands," said Gregor. "Really, anything will do as long as it's new and interesting."

"What about songs?" asked Harry. "I know some good ones. I could sing for everyone."

"Yes, songs are welcome too, especially those from distant lands."

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:08 am
by TheAlchemist
"Harry, if you've got a song you could sing, I'd appreciate it. I can't carry a tune to save my life, and I can't really think of any stories. Unless you want me to put them to sleep with a history lesson."

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:15 am
by Mr. Handy
"I've got a good one," said Harry with a smile. "It's new, so they probably haven't heard it before." He cleared his throat before singing in a clear, strong voice:

Ground Control to Major Tom
Take your protein pills and put your helmet on

Commencing countdown,
engines on
Check ignition
and may God's love be with you.

This is Ground Control
to Major Tom
You've really made the grade
And the papers want to know whose shirts you wear
Now it's time to leave the capsule
if you dare

This is Major Tom to Ground Control
I'm stepping through the door
And I'm floating
in a most peculiar way
And the stars look very different today

For here
Am I sitting in a tin can
Far above the world
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do

Though I'm past
one hundred thousand miles
I'm feeling very still
And I think my spaceship knows which way to go
Tell my wife I love her very much
she knows

Your circuit's dead,
there's something wrong
Can you hear me, Major Tom?

Can you...

Here am I floating
round my tin can
Far above the Moon
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do.

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:42 am
by TheAlchemist
Father Levington watches the audience for a reaction. He enjoys the song.

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:38 am
by Mr. Handy
The rest of the people in the common room applauded, and the cats grinned and purred. They all seemed to really like it too, especially Gregor. "That's the best song I've heard in a long time," he said. "You can both stay here any time, and feel free to eat your fill. Did you write that song yourself?"

"Uh, no," said Harry, "it's by a fellow named David Bowie. It's called Space Oddity. He wrote it to celebrate Apollo 11." When Gregor looked confused, he explained. "It's a rocket heading to the moon. It just took off today. When they arrive in a few days, Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins are going to be the first men on the moon!"

"Oh, I wouldn't say they're the first," said Gregor with a smile. "Perhaps in your land, but ships have been going back and forth to the moon in our lands. Even so, it is a great accomplishment. It is a hazardous journey, and the moon itself is full of dangers. Moon-Beasts, for one."

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:00 am
by TheAlchemist
"Moon beasts? You mean that our astronauts might find something alive up there?"

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:32 am
by Mr. Handy
"Astro-nauts?" said Gregor, furrowing his brow. Then his eyes lit up. "Ah, I understand. Those who travel among the sea of stars. I like that word. Yes, it is possible that they might find something alive - or that something alive might find them. It depends where on the moon they go. The Moon-Beasts are cruel, vicious creatures who enjoy enslaving and torturing whoever they can capture, but they only have one city on the moon. If the astronauts don't go near their city, they don't need to fear them."

Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:06 am
by TheAlchemist
"For their sakes I hope they don't. Men like those are naturally curious, and if they were to see such a place, I have no doubt that they would approach it."

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:20 am
by Mr. Handy
"Ah, explorers," said Gregor. "I know the type. We get them coming through here every now and then on their way to somewhere new. Unknown Kadath seems to be a popular destination for them. Sadly, they don't tend to return from there. Let us hope your astronauts don't come near the city of the Moon-Beasts. Well, you two must be hungry. What would you like for supper? I recommend the Fish Surprise. It's thought delicious by men and cats alike."

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:50 am
by TheAlchemist
"That sound wonderful. I'm famished."

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:05 am
by Mr. Handy
"Me too," said Harry. "I'll have the same."

"Coming right up," said Gregor. He raised his voice so that someone in the kitchen could hear him. "Two Fish Surprises!"

A few minutes later, the barmaid came out of the kitchen with two steaming plates of fish carved into filets and set them down before Nathaniel and Harry. "Enjoy!" she said with a smile.

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:20 pm
by TheAlchemist
"What's the surprise?" Levington asks her. "Or is that for you to know, and me to find out?"

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:58 am
by Mr. Handy
The girl smiled. "If I told you," she said, "it wouldn't be a surprise. You will like it, of that you can be sure."

Harry tasted a piece of his dinner, cutting it with a silver fork and knife that were included with the place settings at their table. He beamed with delight while he chewed.

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:53 am
by TheAlchemist
Levington hesitantly digs in.

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:21 am
by Mr. Handy
The fish dinner tasted delicious, and there was another, familiar taste that went with it: fruit! Gregor's kitchen staff had apparently managed to insert thinner slices of fruit into the thin strips of fish. He couldn't identify the kind of fruit, but it was very good, sweet and tangy. It didn't take long for Nathaniel and Harry to finish.

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:53 am
by TheAlchemist
Wiping his mouth, Levington sets down his utensils.

"That was delicious."

He turns to face Harry.

"Well, are you about ready to go to sleep? I think I'm just about worn out."

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:47 am
by Mr. Handy
"Yeah, I could use a rest too," said Harry.

Gregor handed each of them a gold key that he took from a board behind the bar. "Here you go," he said cheerfully. "Rooms 6 and 7. They were prepared for you while you ate. You two have a good night's rest."

"Thanks," said Harry. He and Nathaniel went upstairs.

Nathaniel found that his key unlocked Room 7, which was spacious and comfortable. A crackling fire burned in the fireplace to warm the room, in front of which was a rug made of the skin of some unknown furry creature. A large feather bed promised a deep slumber. A window with silk curtains looked out on a torchlit square, and the moon and stars were visible in the night sky.

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:47 pm
by TheAlchemist
For a time Levington stood at the window.

"Beautiful," he said, looking up at the stars.

After getting his fill of the night sky, he sat down on the edge of his bed by the fire and took off his shoes, rubbing his sore feet. Warming his hands and feet by the fire Levington relaxed until he felt sleepy enough to go to sleep.

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:22 am
by Mr. Handy
Harry retired to his own room, leaving Nathaniel to himself. The bed was soft, and sleep came quickly. He barely had time to wonder what he was going to dream about while he was already dreaming before he nodded off.

6:00 AM - Thursday, July 17, 1969
Nathaniel awakened completely refreshed in his own familiar bed. Sunlight was streaming in through his bedroom window. It was a brand new day.
OOC,I'm not sure if you remember what you were doing before you fell asleep, as it was nearly two years ago in real time, but you may want to refresh your memory. You were trying to find any references you could to Morpheus in your personal collection of books. You have three hours and twenty minutes more of research to do before you finish. You may eat breakfast while you do this.

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:39 am
by TheAlchemist
OOC,Thanks for the summary. I skimmed my way through the old threads as well. How much do I remember of my dream?
Levington sat up and stretched. Heading into the bathroom, he cleaned himself up and dressed for the day. In the study he scooped up his reading materials before heading into the kitchen to cook himself a quick breakfast. As he ate he thumbed through the pages of the book, trying to find the information he'd been looking for the night before.

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:49 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,You're welcome. You remember your entire dream, but it feels like a distant memory.
Nathaniel dressed, ate breakfast, and studied his mythology texts, but he could find no references to Morpheus after a few hours of searching. However, he knew that his collection of books wasn't the largest. He might have better luck looking in a real library, preferably a big one, which meant going into the city. The biggest library was the main branch located at 19th and Vine Streets in Center City.

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:06 pm
by TheAlchemist
Collecting his keys and wallet, Levington went out and caught the nearest bus to the library.

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:20 pm
by Mr. Handy
Central Library - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
10:05 AM - Thursday, July 17, 1969
Nathaniel made his way back into town and got off the bus at 19th and Vine where the Central Library was located, near the Benjamin Franklin Parkway. The library had opened in 1927 and had the biggest collection of books and other materials in Philadelphia. It was the best place he could think of to do research. He walked into the spacious lobby. Doors led off from it to various collections and a grand staircase led upwards. A librarian, a frumpy woman in her early fifties with curly gray hair, sat behind the information desk just in front of the entrance. There was a display with a map of the library and a list of which collections could be found where.
OOC,[b]Nathaniel[/b], please roll Library Use if you want to try to look up information on Morpheus.

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:05 pm
by TheAlchemist
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3097675/]Library Use[/url]

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:23 pm
by Mr. Handy
Nathaniel began immersing himself in the world of Greek mythology. He spent hours, including a break for lunch, but in the end his research yielded only tantalizing hints. After 2:00, he still had not found what he sought, though he was sure it was there.
OOC,[b]Nathaniel[/b], if you want to spend four more hours, you may make another Library Use roll.

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:59 pm
by TheAlchemist
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3098100/]Sweet victory![/url]

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:39 am
by Mr. Handy
Nathaniel learned from further research that Morpheus was the god of dreams in the Greek pantheon. According to Greek mythology, he had the ability to change his appearance to look like anyone, and he often appeared in dreams. His parents were Hypnos, the god of sleep, and Nyx, the goddess of night. He may have been married to Iris, the personifcation of the rainbow. He had two brothers that were also involved with dreams: Phobetor, who caused nightmares, and Phantasos, who caused bizarre and fantastical dreams (and was the source of the word "fantasy"). All three brothers had wings on their backs, but their parents did not. Either they were born with wings, or they were given them by their uncle Thanatos, the god of death and half-brother of Hypnos. The myths also stated that Morpheus is always in one's dreams as a shadow, and that he uses his wings to travel and to carry his wingless father. Morpheus was said to have his own dream world. The entrance, the Gates of Morpheus, was guarded by two monsters that had the ability to become what one feared the most to keep out unwanted visitors - only Olympians were allowed entry. Morpheus and his family lived in this dream world, as his family was exiled from Mount Olympus. Among the features of this world were two rivers, the River of Forgetfulness (also called Lethe) and the River of Oblivion. Morpheus kept his father Hypnos safe in a cave near the River Lethe.

Morpheus was mentioned in Greek literature, in Ovid's Metamorphosis and possibly in Homer's Iliad as "Dream." He slept in a cave, on an ebony bed surrounded by poppies. According to Ovid, Morpheus was responsible for all human figures that appear in dreams, while Phobetor handled animals and Phantasos created inanimate objects. The drug morphine, an opiate made from poppies, derived its name from Morpheus because of the dreams it inspires.

When Nathaniel completed his studies, it was past 6:00 PM.

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:36 am
by TheAlchemist
Nathaniel rubbed his eyes and sat back in his chair. He glanced out the window, thinking.

First he'd go home and make some food. Then it would be time to try and find Harry Sawyer. He'd start at the police station.

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:45 am
by Mr. Handy
The police station was actually only about a dozen blocks away from the library, and Nathaniel would probably be able to drive there in about ten minutes on the Vine Street Expressway. If he were to go home first, it would take over an hour in each direction.

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:07 am
by TheAlchemist
Reconsidering, Levington decided to see if he could pick up some food on the way.

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:35 am
by Mr. Handy
Police Headquarters, Franklin Square - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
6:30 PM - Thursday, July 17, 1969
Nathaniel Levington went through Chinatown on his way to police headquarters, stopping at a Chinese restaurant to pick up some takeout food. He entered through the front door, where the same desk sergeant who had been on duty the night before was working behind the window. "Evening, Father," he said, recognizing him as well. "What can I do for you?"

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:51 pm
by TheAlchemist
"Hi. I was looking for one of your young police officers. Harry Sawyer?"

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:54 am
by Mr. Handy
"Detective Sawyer?" said the sergeant. "He works the day shift. He did stay a little late today, but he left about an hour and a half ago."

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:12 pm
by TheAlchemist
"That's too bad. Well, could you do me a favor? Could you get a message to him... Do you have a piece of paper?"

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:19 am
by Mr. Handy
"Sure," said the sergeant, taking out a pad of paper and a pen. "What's the message? I'll make sure it's waiting for him in the morning."

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:25 pm
by TheAlchemist
"Thanks."

Levington leans over the pad.

Harry,

Thought I'd drop in to say hello, but I missed you. I wanted to talk to you about a conversation we had a night or so ago. Perhaps we could meet for lunch?

Nathaniel Levington

At the bottom Levington scribbles a pair of contact numbers. One is the number for his church, and the other, his home phone.

"Here you go. Thanks for all your help," Levington says, smiling.

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:21 am
by Mr. Handy
The window was not the sort that opened, so the sergeant wrote down the note as Nathaniel dictated it. "You're welcome, Father," said the sergeant. "Have a good evening."

Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:36 am
by TheAlchemist
"You too," Levington said as he walked towards the exit.

That's that, he decided. He would go home for the night, fix something to munch on, do some reading, and go to bed. It didn't occur to him in so many thoughts, but he hoped that his experience from the night before might reoccur.

Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:44 am
by Mr. Handy
7:30 PM - Thursday, July 17, 1969
Father Levington returned home. He still had the Chinese takout that he had bought earlier, so that would do for a late dinner. He was in the middle of eating when his telephone rang.

Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:05 pm
by TheAlchemist
"Yeah-hello." Levington said, picking up the phone.

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:36 am
by Mr. Handy
"Father Levington?" said the voice on the other end, which Nathaniel recognized as belonging to Brian Anderson. "It's me, Brian. I've been calling for a couple of hours now, but I guess you weren't home or at the church before. I need your help."
OOC,[b]Nathaniel[/b], please roll Psychology.

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:45 pm
by TheAlchemist
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3163444/]Psychology Roll[/url]

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:49 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,The roll failed, so you can't tell anything from his voice.

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:52 am
by TheAlchemist
"What's the matter Brian?"

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:14 am
by Mr. Handy
"When the cops had me last night," said Brian, "I told them about my supplier. They want me to set him up so they can arrest him. He's a really bad guy, and he's connected. If it gets out that I squealed on him, I'm a dead man. I got out of jail on bail this morning and went about my business. After class I was walking back to the frat house where I live when I noticed these two guys in a car following me. I managed to lose them, but now I don't know what to do."

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:57 am
by TheAlchemist
"Brian... I'm not sure if I know how to help you. I'm a priest, not a super hero. This is normally something the police would deal with. Normally, I'd advise you to go to them."

Levington is quiet for a moment, and he rubs his hand against his wrinkled forehead.

"I think I have an idea. Come back to Saint Mary's. I'll meet you there. Try to make sure no one follows you."

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy
"I can't trust the cops," said Brian. "They set me up, and now they're just using me. You're the only one I can trust. I'll be there." With that, he hung up the phone.

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:46 am
by TheAlchemist
Levington sits down and takes a few slow deep breaths,and then quickly finishes his food. Once done, he heads towards Saint Mary's with a few extra pairs of his clerical clothing.
OOC,Could you give me an idea of what the inside of Saint Mary's is like?

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:27 am
by Mr. Handy
St. Christopher's Church, Rittenhouse Square - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
8:30 PM - Thursday, July 17, 1969
Father Levington drove back into town and pulled up in front of St. Christopher's Church. The sky was just starting to get dark. When he arrived, he saw Brian Anderson waiting out front, looking around nervously. He sighed with relief when he saw the priest's car.
OOC,I gave a basic description of the church at the start of your introductory thread, God Only Knows. Since it's your church, you're free to describe it yourself beyond that within reason.

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:30 am
by TheAlchemist
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3185498/]Spot Hidden Roll, Success[/url]
Levington takes a quick look around as he goes to meet Brian.

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:28 am
by Mr. Handy
Nathaniel Levington couldn't see anything out of the ordinary in the area, and there was no sign of anyone watching Brian.

"Thanks for coming, Father," said Brian. "We should talk inside."

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:01 am
by TheAlchemist
Levington leads the young man inside and shuts the door behind them.

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:52 pm
by Mr. Handy
Brian followed the priest inside. "You said you had an idea, Father," he said. "What is it?"

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:41 am
by TheAlchemist
"Before I get to that, I want to know what's going on. Why are men following you? If you want me to help you, I need to see the whole picture."

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:40 pm
by Mr. Handy
"I'm not really sure why I'm being followed," said Brian. "I wish I knew. I've never seen either of those guys before in my life. They were older, one in his forties and another about thirty. They could be anybody, and that's what scares me."

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:22 am
by TheAlchemist
"How are the police involved? You said they set you up?"

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:42 am
by Mr. Handy
"That old guy," said Brian, "he's a police sergeant. He accused me of trying to kill him, but I never did. They've got me on the drugs, sure, but I never tried to kill nobody. I think they must have set me up so they could pressure me into helping them trap the mob guys who supply me."

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:08 am
by TheAlchemist
"You said you had stolen your father's drug, earlier. How did you find a buyer for that? Who was the buyer?"

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:03 am
by Mr. Handy
"I didn't," said Brian. "I was trying to sell it at Lenny's Bar, but the cops rumbled me before I could find a buyer."

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:36 am
by TheAlchemist
"Well, that doesn't give us much to work with does it? For the time being you can stay here. I have an office in the back."

Levington leads him there.

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:26 am
by Mr. Handy
"Thank you, Father," said Brian, following him back to the office. "Yeah, I can crash here. I'm sure nobody followed me here - I was checking."

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:12 am
by TheAlchemist
"One last question: how many people did you speak to about buying your father's drug, and how many of them seemed interested?"

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:54 am
by Mr. Handy
"I only got to talk to one guy before the cops nabbed me," said Brian. "Some dude named Harry. He was pretty new to Lenny's Bar; he'd only been coming there the past couple of weeks. He wasn't interested in the Morpheus, though. He just wanted some LSD. Then the cops came and arrested us both."

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:48 am
by TheAlchemist
"I can't help but thinking this has something to do with your father's drug. I don't have any proof, but that's what my gut is telling me. What I don't understand is why people are still looking for you when you don't have it any longer. Do you know much about your father's work? Does he have any competitors or rivals that are aware of what he is researching? For that matter, do you know what he's researching? Its... if its what I think it is.... beyond imagining."

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:46 pm
by Mr. Handy
"All I know is that Morpheus is supposed to let you control your dreams," said Brian. "I've never taken it, so I don't know for sure. He's running these experiments with student volunteers. The first round was a couple of weeks ago, and the second round starts tomorrow night. He's being helped by Assistant Professor Nancy Remington from the Psychology Department at Penn and a consultant in a wheelchair named Jerome Padgett. I don't know who else might be interested in this. If I had, I would have just sold it to them."

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:46 am
by TheAlchemist
Levington took a long breath.

"That's a place to start."

"Where do you live Brian? I might try to get a look at these two men who were following you. Where have they been watching for you?"

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:23 pm
by Mr. Handy
"I live at the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity house on Penn's campus," said Brian. "That's where I noticed those guys watching me. I don't know how long they'd been following me before that. Anyway, that's where I ditched them with a little help from my friend Gary Brown, one of the frat brothers. He dressed up in my clothes and walked out, pretending he was me. They took the bait and followed him, and that gave me time to get away unnoticed."

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:40 pm
by TheAlchemist
"What does Gary look like?"

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:12 am
by Mr. Handy
"He's about my height and weight," said Brian, "but he's got black hair, not blond like mine. He put on a Phillies cap to cover it, though. That's how he was able to fool those guys into thinking he was me. Gary's a big Phillies fan."

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:56 am
by TheAlchemist
"Alright. I'm going to see if I can't find your friend."

Levington grabs a pad of paper from his desk.

"Here's my home phone number. Just in case you have to leave the church for some reason. I should be back in a couple of hours."

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:33 am
by Mr. Handy
"Thanks," said Brian, taking the paper. "And Father...be careful."

Nathaniel went back outside to his car.
OOC,One of the other PCs is currently with [b]Gary[/b], but you're a few hours ahead of him, so there may be some delay. His player hasn't posted in a few weeks, though, so I may end up NPCing him to speed him up past that point if he takes too long to return.

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:45 am
by TheAlchemist
OOC,No worries. I'll be about.

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:59 am
by Mr. Handy
Alpha Epsilon Pi Fraternity House, University of Pennsylvania - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
9:00 PM - Thursday, July 17, 1969

Father Nathaniel Levington followed Brian's directions to the Alpha Episilon Pi house, a three-story building with ivy-coated brick walls.

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:36 am
by TheAlchemist
Before approaching the door, Levington takes a look around for any suspicious lurkers.

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:32 am
by Mr. Handy
Nathaniel saw nobody else around. He walked up to the door and tried it, but he found that it was locked.

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:15 am
by TheAlchemist
Levington knocks loudly.

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:16 am
by Mr. Handy
After a minute's wait, a young man with straight brown hair opened the door. He was well-dressed, with black slacks, a white shirt, and a maroon tie. "Can I help you, sir?" he asked.

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:25 am
by TheAlchemist
"Hi there," Levington says. "My name is Nathaniel, and I'm looking for a young man named Gary Brown. I was told he lives here. I was hoping to speak with him about a mutual friend of ours."

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:47 am
by Mr. Handy
"Yeah, he does live here," said the young man. "A couple of plainclothes cops came by looking for him a few hours ago and spooked him. He fled and got away. Nobody's seen him since."

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:15 am
by TheAlchemist
"What made you think they were cops?" Levington asked.

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:33 am
by Mr. Handy
"Well, when the first one showed up, I didn't know," said the man. "He spun some cock and bull story about coming here to tell Gary about an inheritance or something, and like a chump I swallowed it. When Gary came back from dinner, the guy followed him upstairs, but Gary heard him coming, recognized him, and split. That's when the second cop burst in and flashed his badge, and the other one called him "Sarge." That's how I knew they were cops. Gary locked them out of his room and escaped through the window. Some uniforms showed up after that to try to look for him, but they didn't have any luck." He shook his head. "This sort of thing never happens here. This is a respectable fraternity. I don't even know that Gary's done anything. They were probably just after him because he and Brian Anderson are friends."

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:03 am
by TheAlchemist
"What do they want with Brian?"

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:42 am
by Mr. Handy
"Brian Anderson was arrested last night," answered the young man. "Something to do with drug charges, I think. They let him out on bail this morning."

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:31 am
by TheAlchemist
Levington checks his watch.

"Do you think Gary will come back any time soon? I'd really like to speak with him."

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:44 am
by Mr. Handy
"I doubt it," said the man. "Gary got spooked pretty bad, and I wouldn't expect him to come back tonight. I don't know where else he'd go, though. If you leave your name and a number where you can be reached, I'll pass it along to him if he does return. What's all this about, anyway?"

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:03 am
by TheAlchemist
"I'm not entirely sure," Levington said, smiling.

"Gary can reach me here," he said, after scribbling down his number on a scrap of paper. "That number will reach the office where I work. I'm there most of the day, and go home in the evenings."

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:53 pm
by Mr. Handy
"All right," he replied, pocketing the scrap of paper. "How do you know Gary, anyway?"

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:55 am
by TheAlchemist
"I don't," Levington said. "This would have been the first time I met him. By the way, what's your name?"

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:58 am
by Mr. Handy
"Me?" he said. "I'm Ralph Scarpetti. There sure are a lot of people looking for Gary who don't know him. What's your interest in him, exactly? And your full name? I didn't see it on the piece of paper."

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:39 pm
by TheAlchemist
"My name's Nathaniel. I want to speak to Gary about his friend Brian. Brian's in a lot of trouble, and I'm trying to help him out of it. Please give Gary my number and tell him to call me at his earliest convenience. "

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:24 pm
by Mr. Handy
"And your surname?" asked Ralph.
OOC,[b]Nathaniel[/b], please roll Psychology.

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:21 am
by TheAlchemist
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3389143/]Psychology Roll = 70[/url]

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:54 am
by Mr. Handy
Nathaniel got the impression that Ralph didn't trust him very much, both because he had been burned before by the cop lying to him and because of his continued avoidance of giving his last name.
OOC,If you want to try to get [b]Gary[/b] to trust you more, roll Persuade (and also roleplay your conversation).

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:13 am
by TheAlchemist
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3404927/]Persuade Roll.[/url]
"Levington," he said. "That number will reach my office at St. Christopher's Church over at Rittenhouse Square. Please give it to Gary."

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:42 am
by Mr. Handy
"If I see him," said Ralph. "Good evening to you."

Nathaniel got the impression that Ralph distrusted him more than ever now.

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:14 am
by TheAlchemist
"Listen," Levington said, before the young man shut the door. "Giving him that number and calling me doesn't cost anybody anything. But Brian's in trouble, he could get hurt. Maybe even killed. There are folks looking for him. Folks besides the police. I'm not asking you to run into a burning building or something dangerous. I'm just asking you to help me get in touch with somebody so I can get some help for Brian. Alright? This is important. Give that to Gary and let him make his own decisions. First person I'll put on the phone when he calls is Brian so you can tell what I'm saying is true."

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:13 am
by Mr. Handy
"Like I said," replied Ralph, "if I see him, I'll pass it on."

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:42 am
by TheAlchemist
"Alright. Thank you." Levington turned and walked back towards his car. It was time to head back to the church.

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:29 am
by Mr. Handy
St. Christopher's Church, Rittenhouse Square - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
9:30 PM - Thursday, July 17, 1969

Nathaniel soon reached the church once more. Brian was still in his office, waiting for him. "Any luck?" he asked.

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:08 am
by TheAlchemist
"No. And it may be unwise for you to remain here. I had to give my name in order to get in touch with Gary. If the police or anyone else learn that I'm helping you, the first place they'll come is here." Levington frowns. "It didn't even occur to me to lie," he mutters.

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:29 am
by Mr. Handy
"Oh, great," mutters Brian. "Where can I go now?"

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:30 am
by TheAlchemist
"I'm still thinking about that. For tonight, you can stay at my place. The police can't get inside without a warrant, which they're unlikely to obtain within the next few days. If they even discover my connection to you."

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:31 am
by Mr. Handy
"Okay, thanks," said Brian. "Why wasn't Gary there? If he'd had any plans for tonight, he'd have told me."

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:51 pm
by TheAlchemist
"One of your friends, Ralph Scarpetti, told me that the police came around looking for Gary. When they tried to speak to him, Gary ran. Do you know where he might have gone?"

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:15 am
by Mr. Handy
"Well, Gary's got a girlfriend," said Brian. "Her name's Carol Stein, and she lives in an apartment a couple of blocks from Penn's campus. He might have gone to stay with her."

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:30 am
by TheAlchemist
"Do you think you could come with me? I'd be a lot more credible with you waving from the passenger seat."

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:54 am
by Mr. Handy
"Good thinking," said Brian. "I can't stay here, and I've got nowhere else to go anyway." He got in the shotgun seat of Nathaniel's car and gave him directions.

Carol Stein's Apartment Building - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
9:50 PM - Thursday, July 17, 1969

Nathaniel pulled up in front of a four-story apartment building in a block full of similar buildings on Spruce Street, about midway between the Schuylkill River and Penn's campus. "She's in Apartment 3, on the third floor," said Brian. "Want me to come up with you?"

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:32 am
by TheAlchemist
"Sure," Levington says as he opens the driver side door.

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:53 am
by Mr. Handy
Nathaniel and Brian entered the building, walking past a row of mailboxes numbered one through four. Beyond the vestibule was a door marked "1" and stairs leading up. They climbed two flights, past a door labeled "2" on the first landing before reaching the door to Apartment 3 on the next landing.
OOC,[b]Nathaniel[/b], please roll Listen.

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:46 pm
by TheAlchemist
OOC,Sorry I've been absent. The internet here in China is misbehaving. Hopefully it's been sorted out. My test result is 73.

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:08 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Welcome back!
Brian put his ear to the door and chuckled. "Oh, yeah, they're here all right. Better let me knock and introduce you." He knocked on the door and waited. A minute or so later, a pretty blonde girl about twenty years old opened the door, wearing a nightgown.

"Hey, Carol," said Brian.

"Hey, Brian, what's up? Who's this guy? Your father?"

"This is Nathaniel Levington. He's everyone's father. He's a priest."

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:52 am
by TheAlchemist
Levington chuckled.

"Hello Carol," he said. "Nice to meet you."

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:31 am
by Mr. Handy
"Hello, Father," said Carol, blushing.

"We came to talk to Gary," said Brian. "I know he's here. I...uh...heard him when I was out in the hall."

Carol's blush deepened, and she stepped aside. "Yeah, come on in. He's...in the bedroom."

Carol's living room didn't have much in the way of furniture. There was a couch, a coffee table, a small television, a record player with a shelf full of LPs, and that was pretty much it. There wasn't a real kitchen, just a small section set aside for the purpose. A couple of bar stools beside a counter that separated the kitchen area from the living room was presumably where she ate. At the back of the room was a closed door.

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:36 am
by TheAlchemist
Levington put on his most disarming smile.

"Oh. Don't mind me. I can wait for a little while if I caught you at a bad time. I'd just like to ask Gary a few questions.

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:20 am
by Mr. Handy
"It should only take him a minute to get dressed," said Carol. "I'll, uh, go get him." Once Nathaniel and Brian were inside, she closed the front door and disappeared into the bedroom. After a short while, she returned with Gary Brown, who was wearing sweatpants and a white T-shirt. Gary was about the same build as Brian, though he had black hair in contrast to Brian's blond hair.

"Brian, man, what the hell is going on?" asked Gary. "Those guys who were following you showed up at the frat house and came after me! I had to jump out the window to escape!"

"I don't know, Gary," said Brian. "I think they were trying to find me and thought you knew where I was. This is Father Nathaniel Levington. He might be able to help us, and he has some questions for you."

"Okay." He turned to face Nathaniel. "What do you want to know?"

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:23 pm
by TheAlchemist
"These two men who were following Brian. I'm trying to figure out who they are. Your friend Ralph seemed to think they were cops. What do you think?"

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy
"Cops?" said Gary. "I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense, and it sure beats the alternative. I only saw one of the two guys tonight, and he was definitely one of the pair following Brian. I didn't see the other, but I could hear him behind the first guy. Come to think of it, he did call the second guy Sarge."

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:53 am
by TheAlchemist
"Do you think you could describe them for me?"

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:00 am
by Mr. Handy
"I got a good look at the guys who were following Brian earlier," said Gary. "The one guy was in his mid-forties - he's the one who came after me at the frat house. Short fellow, losing his hair. The other dude was in his late twenties, taller, pretty tough-looking. They were wearing suits and driving a blue Pontiac, 1964 or '65, I think. I didn't see the plates. I don't know if the younger one was with the older one when he came after me later, or if that was someone else."

"Yeah, those are the guys," said Brian. "Couple of shady characters if you ask me."

Neither of the descriptions sounded familiar to Nathaniel, but he'd probably recognize them if he saw them.

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:14 am
by TheAlchemist
"Alright," Levington said. "That helps a lot. Thank you Gary."

Unless Gary has something else to say, Levington stands to leave.

Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy
"See you, Gary," said Brian. "Thanks." He followed Nathaniel out of the apartment, and Gary closed the door behind them. "Well, where should we go now?" he asked as they went back downstairs.

Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:28 am
by TheAlchemist
"I think we'll head back to my place," Levington said "We can get some sleep, and start back in next morning."

"Brian, does your fathers research have any connection to the military? Do you know where his funding comes from?"

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:58 am
by Mr. Handy
"I know he's got a grant from the government," said Brian as they reached the car. "I think it's from the Advanced Research Projects Agency, whatever that is."

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:25 am
by TheAlchemist
"Interesting. Well, there isn't much more to be done today," Levington says. "Let's head back to my place."

Nathaniel glances around before getting in his car.
Roll,32 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3475494/

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:37 am
by Mr. Handy
Nathaniel saw nothing unusual in the area. Nobody seemed to be watching them, and not that many people were out at this hour, though there were still some.

"All right," said Brian, getting into the passenger seat. "Any thoughts about what we're going to do tomorrow? I can't hide forever. I have a court appearance on Monday."

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:05 am
by TheAlchemist
"First thing I'll do tomorrow is head downtown. I have a friend in the police department. He might be able to tell me if the men following you were cops. If they are, you're mostly in the clear. An officer might act recklessly and abuse his power, but I doubt you'll come to any real harm from the police."

"If these men following you aren't police officers, then I'll start worrying."
OOC,do the cops publish an annual whos's who type yearbook? Something that I could use to get pictures of the currently serving officers?

Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:44 am
by Mr. Handy
"I didn't even think about them being cops," said Brian. "The other possibility had me worried too."
OOC,There's nothing like that as far as I know. In any case, the men were not in uniform, and pictures of plainclothes detectives would certainly not be available for obvious reasons.

Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:20 am
by TheAlchemist
"Don't worry," Levington said. "We'll get to the bottom of this."

Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy
10:45 PM - Thursday, July 17, 1969

Brian said nothing more during the rest of the ride. Eventually Nathaniel pulled up outside his house.

Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:28 am
by TheAlchemist
Levington led Harry into his house and pointed to a couch.

"You can sleep there. I've got some blankets and a pillow that I'll get for you. Would you like anything to eat? Or Drink?"

Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy
"Thanks," said Brian, making himself comfortable on the couch. "Got any beer?"

Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:09 pm
by TheAlchemist
"I'm Catholic," Levington said, smiling. "What do you think?"

The refrigerator seal in the kitchen popped as Levington opened it and pulled a pair of Imperial Stouts out of the door. The bottles hissed as Levigton popped their caps using the bottle opener mounted on his kitchen cabinet.

"Here," he said, handing one bottle to Brian.

Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy
"Thanks again, Father," said Brian. He clinked his bottle against Nathaniel's and took a swig. "Wow! This is really good stuff!"

Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:18 pm
by TheAlchemist
"Are you hungry? I've got some cold cuts in the fridge."

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:42 am
by Mr. Handy
"Yeah, I didn't really get dinner," said Brian. "Thanks, man. You know, Father, you're a lot cooler than my old man."

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:48 am
by TheAlchemist
Levington cracked open his refrigerator and pulled out materials to make sandwiches: lettuce, cheese, tomato, onion, mayonnaise, mustard, salomi, roast beef. He got some bread out of the cabinet next to the sink.

"It's a lot easier to be everybody's father, than the father of someone in particular," Levington said. He started to make himself a sandwich. "Help yourself to whatever you like."

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy
"Thanks," said Brian. He built himself a sandwich too, using all of the ingredients and stacking it high. When he finished, he had to open his mouth wide to bite it.

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:11 am
by TheAlchemist
Levington chewed on his sandwich in silence for a while. And from time to time engaged Brian in small talk.

When the sandwiches were finished, Levington put away the sandwich materials and washed the dishes.

"I'll see you in the morning Brian," Levington said, and then went into his room, shut the door, and went to sleep.

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:58 am
by Mr. Handy
Nathaniel went to sleep and woke up to sunlight coming through the window. The clock said it was a few minutes past 6:00; the sun rose early at this time of year. He had been expecting, maybe hoping, to have a dream like the one he'd had the night before, but he couldn't even remember his dream from the night that just ended, if he'd had one at all.

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:08 am
by TheAlchemist
Levington gets out of bed and goes to check on Brian.

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:35 pm
by Mr. Handy
Levington went back downstairs and found Brian still sacked out on the couch, snoring away.

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:14 am
by TheAlchemist
Levington quietly gets cleaned up and dressed. After he's dressed, he cooks some breakfast for himself and Brian.

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:43 am
by Mr. Handy
It didn't like long for Nathaniel to fry up some bacon and eggs for breakfast. The scent was enough to rouse Brian from his slumber, for he slowly walked into the kitchen, rubbing his eyes. "Good morning, Father," he said. "That sure smells good!"

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:51 am
by TheAlchemist
"Good morning," Levington said. "Have a seat. Grab what you like, there's more than enough."

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:24 am
by Mr. Handy
"Thanks!" said Brian. He took a seat and started eagerly tucking in. "What's the plan for today?" he mumbled with a full mouth.