Page 1 of 1

IC-Chapter 1-Growin' Up(Jim Hendricks only)

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:38 am
by Mr. Handy
Alpha Epsilon Pi Fraternity House, University of Pennsylvania - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5:50 PM - Thursday, July 17, 1969

Detective Jim Hendricks followed Mary's directions to the Alpha Episilon Pi house, a three-story building with ivy-coated brick walls. He climbed the front steps, opened the double front doors, and entered.

The lobby was lavishly decorated, with mahogany paneling. A lounge was on the right, with comfortable-looking leather chairs and couches. Photographs hung on the wall, most of them black and white, but a few in color. On the left was a narrow staircase leading upward, and there was a door at the back.

A young man with straight brown hair reclined in one of the chairs, wearing a red short-sleeved shirt and blue jeans. He was reading a book, but he looked up when he saw Jim enter.

Re: IC-Chapter 1-Growin' Up(Jim Hendricks only)

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:27 am
by zerostate
Jim does not engage with the guy immediately, but looks around the lobby like a tourist would a museum gallery, waiting to see if he is challenged.

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:05 am
by Mr. Handy
The man looked up when Jim stood in the lobby for a minute. "Can I help you, mister?" he asked.

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:40 am
by zerostate
"Oh, hi," Jim said, pretending to be distracted with looking at the photos in the lobby. "Sorry, I'm looking for a Gary Brown?"

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:38 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Sorry, pal," said the young man, "Gary went out for dinner. The name's Ralph Scarpetti. And you are?"

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:04 am
by zerostate
"Er, well, I don't think Gary would want me to tell you... Private business, you know," Jim said, surreptitiously moving towards and closing the distance between himself and Ralph as he spoke.

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,[b]Jim[/b], please roll Fast Talk.

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:39 am
by zerostate
OOC,[url]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3251382/[/url]

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:39 am
by Mr. Handy
Ralph paused and considered. "Well, all right," he said at last. "Gary should be back in about half an hour if you want to wait."

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:28 am
by zerostate
Jim looked at his watch, acting a little nervous and like he might be in a hurry... "Er, sure. I can wait half an hour I guess."

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:44 am
by Mr. Handy
"Have a seat," said Ralph. "Can I get you something to eat while you're waiting, Mister...?" He trailed off, leaving an opening for Jim to give his name.

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:05 pm
by zerostate
"Hendricks, James Hendricks.... Er, that's okay, my stomach is a little nervous, but a glass of water would be great," Jim said sitting.
OOC,Jim preferably sits where he has a view of the entrance hall.

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy
"Sure thing, Mr. Hendricks," said Ralph, heading through the door at the back as Jim found a couch where he could sit that gave him a good view of the front doors. For the moment, he was alone in the room.

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:51 pm
by zerostate
Jim stays seated but looks around, to see if he can see anything that might need closer examination.

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy
The only things in the room that looked like they might be of interest were the photographs on the wall. They appeared to be photos of members of the fraternity. Some of them were group photos, while others showed just one or two of the brothers.

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:01 pm
by zerostate
Jim stands and goes to look at the photos. He looks especially for pictures of Brown or Scarpetti.

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:20 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,[b]Jim[/b], please roll Spot Hidden. Also, note that you do not know what [b]Gary Brown[/b] looks like.

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:17 pm
by zerostate
OOC,[url]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3281600/[/url] I was hoping that the photos were labelled :)

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:31 am
by Mr. Handy
Jim examined the photos on the wall. The black and white ones seemed to be older, but the color ones were more recent. He did recognize both Ralph Scarpetti and Brian Anderson in a couple of the group photos. One of the pictures had Brian and another young man of roughly the same height and build standing next to him. This other man was wearing a red Phillies cap, and Jim recognized him instantly. He was the guy who had decoyed him and Gus this afternoon by pretending to be Brian. There were no labels on the photos, but the guy was a prime candidate for Gary Brown.

"Admiring the pictures, huh?" said Ralph, coming back in from the door with a glass of water in his hand. He walked up to Jim and offered it to him. "Yeah, Alpha Epsilon Pi has a long and venerable history here at Penn."

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:30 am
by zerostate
Jim takes the offered glass with his off hand (an old trick he'd learned to keep his gun hand free) and says, "Indeed I am. Is Mister Brown in any of these pictures? Although I have something for h... Well, we have private business, I've never actually met him."

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:02 am
by Mr. Handy
"Yeah, that's him," said Ralph, pointing at the picture of the young man in the Phillies cap.

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:05 am
by zerostate
"Do you know him well? It's not really part of my job, but I do enjoy finding out about the people I... Well, er, you realize I mustn't say more because of the nature of the private business... I don't believe he even knew of his benefactor..." Jim says, working his role.

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:21 am
by Mr. Handy
"Yeah, I know Gary pretty well," said Ralph. "He never mentioned you, though."

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:53 am
by zerostate
"Of course mot," replied Jim. "As I said, we have never met. I am merely an intermediary. I thought you realized that Mister Scarpetti."

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:47 am
by Mr. Handy
"No, I didn't realize that," said Ralph. "Gary's a real good guy, always eager to help out. From the sound of things he's getting a good break here, and I'm happy for him."

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:46 pm
by zerostate
"Well, there are always formalities, but I'm sure they can be ironed out with ease," Jim replies.

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:37 am
by Mr. Handy
"Well, that's good," said Ralph. "Anything else you want to know?"

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:13 pm
by zerostate
"Thankyou, I'll just wait for mister Brown," Jim says.

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:30 am
by Mr. Handy
Ralph nodded and sat back down, taking out a textbook and studying. At around 6:30, Jim saw Gary Brown walk in the front doors. He recognized the young man, who was still wearing his Phillies cap and Brian's clothes that Jim had seen him in earlier, instantly. Gary hadn't noticed him yet, however.

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:58 am
by zerostate
Jim waited to see what Gary would do - it occurred to him that he might not recognise him.

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:56 am
by Mr. Handy
Gary walked across the lobby to the stairs, not paying Jim any attention.

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:49 pm
by zerostate
Jim waited for him to go up, then followed...

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:01 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,[b]Jim[/b], please roll Sneak. Even if you fail, he still might not hear you.

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:47 pm
by Mr. Handy
Jim stumbled on the stairs, and Gary whipped his head around over his shoulder. "You!" he shouted, running up the stairs at full speed.

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:29 am
by Mr. Handy
Jim heard Bill's voice shout "Hendricks!" from the lobby below.
OOC,[b]Jim[/b] is returning to the thread linked below. Please do not read the posts in the thread above the one in the link.
Never Get Old