IC-Prologue-See Emily Play(Alan Gains only)

Professor Bill Johns is inexplicably transported from 2009 back to 1969, where he finds himself enmeshed in a mystery that is intimately connected to his own past. As he struggles to adjust, he must discover why he is in 1969, what is going on, and how to find his way home. Others in 1969 find themselves mixed up in the same odd events as well.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

dualshock71
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Re: IC-Prologue-See Emily Play(Alan Gains only)

Post by dualshock71 »

Alan chuckled at that.

"Yeah, I know. To be honest, I can't really blame you. Again, honestly, I wouldn't even be here if a girl called Emily Simmons hadn't walked into my office today. You know her? She asked me for my help."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Emily Simmons?" said Brian, thinking. "No, doesn't ring a bell. How the hell could you possibly be my lawyer anyway? You can't be a public defender. You wouldn't have been assigned this quick."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
dualshock71
Initiate
Initiate

Post by dualshock71 »

Mr. Handy wrote:"Emily Simmons?" said Brian, thinking. "No, doesn't ring a bell. How the hell could you possibly be my lawyer anyway? You can't be a public defender. You wouldn't have been assigned this quick."
"I'm getting to that. Anyway, this young woman came into my office today and told me something interesting. She'd been involved in an experiment someone's doing. They had her take something. Now, she's convinced that something's trying to kill her; got in a bad car accident a little while ago. I don't trust private investigators, so I did some of my own legwork. And I was pondering just how I could get close to this man, when I saw you get arrested. I thought you could help me. So, here I am, offering to help you in exchange. Sounds stupid, I know, but..." he paused, taking a moment to run a hand through his hair, trying to give off the impression of a desperate man, "...but I don't think I have any other option. Please."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You just happened to be there when I was getting arrested?" said Brian skeptically.
OOC,[b]Alan[/b], roll Persuade.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
dualshock71
Initiate
Initiate

Post by dualshock71 »

OOC,Roll(1d100)+0: 5,+0 Total:5. I want to dedicate this roll to God, because THAT is the only possible explaination. :P
Alan nodded.

"Honestly. I was walking back from doing some work and I saw what was happening. I don't think you're a bad guy, and I think you can help me with my current case. I know, it sounds crazy, but it's the honest-to-God truth."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Nice one! 8-)
"Okay, I believe you," said Brian at last. "If you can get me out of here, I'll do whatever you want. I don't want anyone to even find out I was in here, especially my dad. I don't remember any chick named Emily Simmons, but I know about the experiments you're talking about. My dad's running them. His name is Dr. Gregory Anderson, and he's a professor at the University of Pennsylvania. He's developed this new drug he calls Morpheus, and the experiment involves giving it to the students and seeing if it allows them to control their dreams. This morning, I did a very stupid thing. I stole a dose of it from the lab. Poured the flask out into a thermos, rinsed out the flask, and put the flask in a storage cabinet with a bunch of empty ones. I figured it would be worth a fortune. Later I realized that he'd still notice it was missing eventually. That thermos was in my backpack, and the cops have it now. I've got to get it back! Maybe my dad won't be too pissed with me if I can put it back."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
dualshock71
Initiate
Initiate

Post by dualshock71 »

Alan thanks every god he could think of, then returned to business.
The drug is called "Morpheus".
"I'll see what I can do about the thermos. It's evidence in a criminal trial, though, so it'll be tough to get immediately. Do you know anything about the effects of this 'Morpheus'?"
OOC,Thanks.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I don't think the cops even know what they've got," said Brian. "Like I said, they're pretty dumb. It looks just like chocolate milk, so they're not going to know it's anything special. In fact, chocolate milk is what dad gives to the control group. Morpheus causes whoever takes it to fall asleep pretty soon and stay asleep for hours. While sleeping, they have really vivid dreams, but their memories of the dream may be fuzzy. Supposedly, it's possible for them to control what they dream about too. I don't know exactly how my father makes it, but there's a bunch of different herbs involved and he keeps the formula very secret."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
dualshock71
Initiate
Initiate

Post by dualshock71 »

Causes vivid, if non-memorable, dreams.
"That makes it much simpler. If they don't know what it is, I think I can get it back to your father. Thanks. Now, let's get to your case. Aside from the Morpheus, which they'll probably think is just some milk, what else did you have on you? I came in at the end, you'll recall. Anything more well-known?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Drugs of various kinds," said Brian. "I had them in my backpack, where the thermos was. A few pounds of marijuana, some blotters of LSD, some shrooms, that sort of thing."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
dualshock71
Initiate
Initiate

Post by dualshock71 »

No use in trying to save Brian.
Alan nodded, then stood up.

"Thank you for your information. I think I've got everything I need for now. Can you think of anything else I might need to know?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Wait a minute!" said Brian, standing. "I helped you, now you gotta help me! I didn't even get to tell you about what happened to me! Okay, I had the drugs, but this attempted murder charge is completely trumped up! I never met that crazy old man before in my life, and I've never tried to kill anyone!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
dualshock71
Initiate
Initiate

Post by dualshock71 »

Mr. Handy wrote:"Wait a minute!" said Brian, standing. "I helped you, now you gotta help me! I didn't even get to tell you about what happened to me! Okay, I had the drugs, but this attempted murder charge is completely trumped up! I never met that crazy old man before in my life, and I've never tried to kill anyone!"
Alan paused.

"They have you on attempted murder?" He sat down again, his professional interest once again sparking. "What happened?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I came into Lenny's Bar and ordered a beer, like I usually do," said Brian. also retaking his seat. "This guy Harry was interested in buying some LSD, so I sat with him and showed him my stuff. That's when those two cops burst in and arrested me. That Lieutenant Yeager then said something insulting about my mother, and I just snapped. I tried to smack him one, but he was ready and managed to restrain me. The other cop tried to hit me, but he missed. That's when that crazy old man came out of the bathroom and claimed I just tried to kill him!" Brian described both Harry and the old man, and Alan recognized them as the two men who had gotten into Yeager's car with him after leaving the bar. "I don't know who this wacko is, but he must've been deranged or on some bad trip, but the cops just swallowed his story. The really strange thing is that he intervened when the cops were about to give me a beating and told them not to. He was going on about all this crazy stuff that didn't make no sense."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
dualshock71
Initiate
Initiate

Post by dualshock71 »

Brian Case: Strange old man. Find him soon.
\

Alan sat there, trying to puzzle it out, and found that it was next to impossible.

"Does this old man have a name? Do you know him at all?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Brian shook his head. "No, I've never seen him before in my life!" he said. "He never said his name either. He's probably talking to the cops right now."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
dualshock71
Initiate
Initiate

Post by dualshock71 »

"Alright. Assuming he really is nuts, I can definitely get you off of the attempted murder charge. The drugs probably won't be a problem. And I might even be able to get your thermos back. Unless something goes dreadfully wrong, I might be able to get you cleared of all charges."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Really?" said Brian, looking hopeful for the first time. "That would be great! How soon do you think you can get me bailed out of here? I don't want to stay locked up any longer than I have to."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
dualshock71
Initiate
Initiate

Post by dualshock71 »

"Without evidence of said crime, they can't hold you here for more than three days. If they try to pick you up for anything illegal you were carrying, I can get it thrown out in a second. If we can make bail, you can be out of here in a blink. I don't know if you want to call your father; you know anyone else who can post bail for you?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I don't want my dad to know about this," said Brian. "I already used my phone call. I called this priest that I talked to earlier today because I felt guilty about taking the Morpheus. He said he's on his way here. His name is Father Levington. Maybe he can bail me out. I'm sure the cops are going to question me soon, and I need you there when they do."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Prologue”