IC-Prologue-Time Will Crawl(Bill/Yeager/Rawlings/Harry)

Professor Bill Johns is inexplicably transported from 2009 back to 1969, where he finds himself enmeshed in a mystery that is intimately connected to his own past. As he struggles to adjust, he must discover why he is in 1969, what is going on, and how to find his way home. Others in 1969 find themselves mixed up in the same odd events as well.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: IC-Prologue-Time Will Crawl(Bill Johns only)

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Good, let's go," said Yeager, already leading the way back out the door. When Bill followed him into the main office, he saw a white-haired man in his sixties wearing a white coat examining Harry. Amy was standing with him, looking concerned. Charlie had already left the room, and the other detectives were seated at their desks watching with interest. "I'll give you a hand, doc." With Dr. Howarth's assistance, he was easily able to carry the sleeping detective. Amy and Bill went along behind them.

"Keep him horizontal," said the doctor. "I'm sure the substance has already entered his bloodstream by this point, but there's no sense in making it easier for more of it to pass into his intestines. We'd better wait until we get him to the hospital before we can pump his stomach. Since he's unconscious, he'll need to be intubated."

The group retraced its way back into the hall by the elevators. Amy pressed the down button, and before too long one of the elevators arrived and they all got in. They returned to the lobby on ground level and left the building, entering the parking lot. An ambulance was parked out front, near the entrance, and the driver was sitting behind the wheel with the engine running. Amy opened up the back door, and the two men carried Harry inside and laid him down on a narrow gurney. Bill and Amy climbed in after them and closed the door. The ambulance pulled out, turning left onto 8th Street as the siren started wailing.

John Yeager turned to Bill. "Anything you can tell me about Brian Anderson might help us crack him," he said. "Why don't you start by telling me how you know him and what happened when he tried to kill you."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Re: IC-Prologue-Time Will Crawl(Bill Johns/Lt. John Yeager)

Post by Philulhu »

"To be honest, I don't know that I do know him," replied Bill. "I went to the john, minding my own business and he came in. He was shooting his mouth off about me... ... y'know, I still don't know what his beef was... ... but he threatened me with a gun then left. I made to leave and it felt like there was an explosion and the next thing I know... ... you're coming into the bar and arresting him." Bill shook his head. He couldn't tell the full story, he'd be locked up. If he told Yeager he was from 2009 and that Brian had been talking about events that happened 30 years ago before the grenade went off and he woke up back in time... ....

Bill put his head in his hands. Brian had said that Mary knew all about it - perhaps he needed to speak to her and find out what she knew about him.
seanarcher
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by seanarcher »

John looks up at Bill "So do you remember what he was ranting to you about at all? Any little scrap of info could help nail him"

John glances over to Harry inert body with a sour look on his face"As for you Harry Sawyer, when you wake up from your little holiday we're going to have a nice chat about drinking from a thermos you just pulled out of a pushers KIT!"
OOC,I hope this is ok
Last edited by seanarcher on Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Charlie[/b] isn't in the ambulance. He went down to the holding cells to interrogate [b]Brian Anderson[/b] instead. Other than that, good stuff!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

"He said something about everything going wrong," replied Bill, "And that it was all my fault. But I never met the guy in my life before then so I don't know what he's talking about."
OOC,Hi Sean! :)
seanarcher
Layman
Layman

Post by seanarcher »

"Ok, lets get dopey," John glances in Harry's direction "over there stable" John looks over at Bill

"You and I will head back once I know Harry is in the clear." John then glances over to Amy

"Once he is, Amy stay with him for a couple of hours then head back to the office."

"I wan't to ask our walking drug store a few questions of my own!" John says in a distracted voice as he stares out the back of the ambulance.
OOC,I'm wondering if I should query the timing of Bills episode in the toilet. John and Chris were listening to harry's conversation with Brian. Is Bill stating that it happened during the conversation? or should I just ignore that bit of timing. Because I'm assuming the conversation went on for awhile before they stormed in. Or am I making a mountain out of a mole hill?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Actually, the conversation between [b]Harry[/b] and [b]Brian[/b] was only a minute or so. It was pretty much all in that post to which I gave you the link.
"Of course, sir," said Amy. She held Harry's hand. "Hang in there, Harry. You're in good hands." Harry just snored in response.

Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, 10th and Chestnut Streets - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
8:15 PM - Wednesday, July 16, 1969

A moment later the ambulance pulled up in front of Thomas Jefferson University Hospital's main emergency entrance at 10th and Chestnut. Dr. Howarth opened up the rear door and lowered the ramp. Then he and John Yeager wheeled the gurney down the ramp, followed by Amy and Bill. One of the rear wheels squeaked every so often as they wheeled it along. They reached the front doors, which Amy opened so that they could push the gurney inside. The lobby was large, with a hall leading back into the hospital. A harried-looking blonde woman sat behind the front desk, talking on the phone. "Uh-huh," she said, looking up at the group that had entered. "I think he just walked in." She lowered the receiver and addressed John. "Are you Lieutenant John Yeager? There's a Sergeant Charlie Rawlings on the phone for you."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
seanarcher
Layman
Layman

Post by seanarcher »

John quickly grabs the phone from the attendant "I hope you're about to tell me what was in that thermos Charlie"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,The following spoiler button is only for [b]John Yeager[/b] to read. [b]Bill[/b] cannot hear the other end of the conversation.
Lieutenant John Yeager,"I sure am, Lou," answered [b]Charlie[/b] cheerfully. "[b]Candyman[/b] said it's called Morpheus, and that [b]Harry[/b] will be fine - that it'll just put him to sleep for a few hours and give him some freaky dreams. Now I've never heard of this Morpheus junk before, but he told me his old man cooked it up from some herbs. Get this: the guy's a professor at the University of Pennsylvania's School of Medicine named [b]Dr. Gregory Anderson[/b]. Apparently he's testing it on student volunteers as part of some psych experiment. The little scumbag sang like a canary, and I didn't even have to lay a finger on him." [b]Charlie[/b] sounded a little disappointed when he said this. "He already had a lawyer in there with him, along with some priest. Guess who the lawyer was? It was that guy that who followed us from Lenny's Bar in the taxicab!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
seanarcher
Layman
Layman

Post by seanarcher »

"A priest? What the hell, the man aint dying, whats he need a priest there for. Hang on a sec Charlie" Lowering the phone John looks towards Dr. Howarth

"Hey doc, looks like its made from herbal stuff, something called Morpheus. It should only make him sleep for a few hours. But I think you should still pump him, and when he wakes up it might be a good idea to give him that nasty drink that OD'ers get when they come in? Whats it called again doc? You know that horrible grey stuff?" John puts the phone back to his ear.

"Charlie are all three still there?" John's voice had an intense quality to it.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Lieutenant," said Dr. Howarth. "I've never heard of this substance before, but you're right, it's best to get it out of him." He and Amy wheeled the gurney into the hall and around the corner, the noise of the squeaky wheel fading into the distance. John and Bill remained in the lobby.
OOC,[b]Bill[/b] and [b]John[/b], both of you roll History to see what you know about the name Morpheus.
Lieutenant John Yeager,"Yeah, they're still here, Lou," said [b]Charlie[/b]. "[b]Brian[/b] stole this stuff from his dad, and he's real desperate not to let him find out, too. That gives us more leverage on him."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
seanarcher
Layman
Layman

Post by seanarcher »

OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2138075/]History to see what John knows about the name Morpheus[/url]
"Charlie, Make sure you keep them there till I get back, that damn lawyer is not! getting our boy out of there. Oh and See if you can find out why the priest is there." John went to hand the phone over when he pulled it back to his ear. "Charlie send a squad car round to pick us up we'll be at the emergancy entrance." John doesn't wait for a reply as he hands the phone back over to the attendant.
OOC,Not sure if its OK to get one of Johns guys to order a squad car to do that?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Yes, that's perfectly okay to ask him to do that.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
seanarcher
Layman
Layman

Post by seanarcher »

"So Bill, what were you up to in a dive like Lenny's? Only low lifes hang out in there. I wouldn't have a watered down beer in there even if you payed for it!" John asks Bill while they wait for their ride.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2142038/]History roll - what does Bill know about Morpheus? (1d100=1)[/url] Cool! 8-)
Bill looked at Yeager carefully, unsure about what to say, not sure how far he could trust him. He took a deep breath and said, "Look Lieutenant, I haven't told you the full story." He pulled out the badge he'd found in his pocket and showed it to Yeager. "I took a call at the office. Someone told me to meet them at Lenny's. I didn't know who it was but sometime you gotta take a chance, yeah? Anderson approached me in the john and I told you the rest."

Bill looked at the Lieutenant. "He's obviously got an axe to grind with me, but I've never met the guy before."
seanarcher
Layman
Layman

Post by seanarcher »

John steps close to Bill, anger barely contained "You bastards, there's no way in HELL! you're stepping in and taking my case, my team...." John moves in even closer his voice seething with rage "My team has done all the groundwork, made all the sacrifices. You..." John emphasizes each word with a jab of his finger in Bill's chest "Are....not... taking this case off my team." John pauses cleary pulling himself back from the brink of something hes fighting to controll. "So tell me Bill what department are you from?"
OOC,At this point I think you get the idea that John thinks Bill is from a federal level department and has pulled his badge to commandeer the case. Hope this is ok.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

"Back off," growled Bill, equally angry at Yeager's reaction. "I can't tell you which department I work for but I'm not here to take your case. You can cover your ass in glory if you want, I just wanna know is why Anderson wanted me dead."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,That might be [b]Yeager[/b]'s first instinct, but once he takes a good look at the badge he'll come to another realization. There are spoiler buttons below for each of you. Remember to only read the one with your character's name.
The receptionist was alarmed when the two men confronted each other with raised voices. She paused with her hand halfway to the receiver of the phone on her desk, watching the exchange like someone looking at a train wreck. When John Yeager looked more carefully at the badge, he recognized it at once. It was not a federal agent's badge as he had thought at first. Instead, it was a standard issue badge from the Philadelphia Police Department, and a new one at that. The name on it was Sergeant William Johns, and the badge number was 716.
Bill Johns,[b]Bill[/b] knew all about Morpheus, having actually written a research paper about the subject as an undergraduate for Introduction to Western Civilization, taught by a [b]Professor Calvin Sheridan[/b]. He had taken the class in the Fall semester of 1969, in fact, and had received an A. Morpheus was the god of dreams in the Greek pantheon. According to Greek mythology, he had the ability to change his appearance to look like anyone, and he often appeared in dreams. His parents were Hypnos, the god of sleep, and Nyx, the goddess of night. He may have been married to Iris, the personifcation of the rainbow. He had two brothers that were also involved with dreams: Phobetor, who caused nightmares, and Phantasos, who caused bizarre and fantastical dreams (and was the source of the word "fantasy"). All three brothers had wings on their backs, but their parents did not. Either they were born with wings, or they were given them by their uncle Thanatos, the god of death and half-brother of Hypnos. The myths also state that Morpheus is always in one's dreams as a shadow, and that he uses his wings to travel and to carry his wingless father. Morpheus was said to have his own dream world. The entrance, the Gates of Morpheus, was guarded by two monsters that had the ability to become what one feared the most to keep out unwanted visitors - only Olympians were allowed entry. Morpheus and his family lived in this dream world, as his family was exiled from Mount Olympus. Among the features of this world were two rivers, the River of Forgetfulness (also called Lethe) and the River of Oblivion. Morpheus kept his father Hypnos safe in a cave near the River Lethe. Morpheus was mentioned in Greek literature, in Ovid's [i]Metamorphosis[/i] and possibly in Homer's [i]Iliad[/i] as "Dream." He slept in a cave, on an ebony bed surrounded by poppies. According to Ovid, Morpheus was responsible for all human figures that appear in dreams, while Phobetor handled animals and Phantasos created inanimate objects. The drug morphine, an opiate made from poppies, derived its name from Morpheus because of the dreams it inspires. The character Morpheus in the Matrix trilogy of movies also got his name from the same source, but nobody in 1969 would get the reference.
Lieutenant John Yeager,[b]Sergeant William Johns[/b] was the name of the new sergeant who was due to join [b]Yeager[/b]'s platoon, and 716 is his correct badge number. [b]Yeager[/b] recalled from the paperwork that [b]Captain Fox[/b] had sent him that [b]Johns[/b] was a retired cop from the suburb of Chester who had applied for a job with the Philadelphia Police Department and had just been hired with the rank of Sergeant. Roll Idea.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
seanarcher
Layman
Layman

Post by seanarcher »

OOC,Lol only just made this! [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2143025/]Idea roll[/url]
Johns eyes glance at Bill's badge again, he looks up at Bill, then back at the badge "716..." John pauses briefly "You're William Johns our new sergent. Bill - William" John looks Bill in the eyes "Christ, sorry Bill I've been so focused on this case that I've missed the arrival of our new member." John slaps Bill heartily on the shoulder "You make a hell of an entrance though Bill!" A wry expression spreads its self across John's face "As I said, sorry about the whole accusing thing I've had a case taken off me before so I'm a bit.... edgy you might say. Welcome aboard Sergent William Johns, at lease I don't have to bring you up to spead with the case!" John says with a rare smile on his face.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Lieutenant John Yeager,It occurred to [b]John[/b] what [b]Bill[/b] might have been doing. Often new officers want to make a good impression by making a big arrest right away. He was unlikely to have known about [b]Yeager[/b]'s own investigation and probably decided to do this on his own. However, going in without the rest of the team to back him up was rather foolish, evidenced by [b]Brian Anderson[/b]'s attempt to kill him. Normally this is the sort of mistake a rookie makes, not an experienced cop, but [b]Bill[/b] could have gotten rusty during his time off the force. He was lucky this time. He could be dead or lying unconscious in a hospital bed right now! It's also possible that [b]Bill[/b] chose this investigation because it has ties to an investigation he was working on in Chester, but as far as [b]John Yeager[/b] was aware the case was purely a local one.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Prologue”