Spawn of Azathoth - OOC

Spawn of Azathoth is a classic era Call of Cthulhu campaign intended for four to six investigators. A macabre death begins the adventure and by following clues, the player characters find themselves caught up in events of cosmic import which sees them spanning the globe and fighting for their very lives, not to mention their sanity along the way.

Moderator: Cearlan

Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Spawn of Azathoth - OOC

Post by Cearlan »

Here goes all Out of Character stuff

Norman / Cearlan
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Garrett
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Re: Spawn of Azathoth - OOC

Post by Garrett »

So are we good to go ahead and make our characters?
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Please do so. yes!

You can either use one of the online die rollers or your own dice. I think we are all of an age and/or experience where we can be trusted with rolling dice honestly.

Cearlan
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by royya »

I rolled the dice ... 11 EDU is not that good for a doctor of medicine so I'm going to put him as a B.Md instead of a PhD doctor for now and he is going to be much younger then what I thought about. The other rolls are quite average but my Int is very high (17) so I will be able to invest in other hobby skills.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

royya wrote:I rolled the dice ... 11 EDU is not that good for a doctor of medicine so I'm going to put him as a B.Md instead of a PhD doctor for now and he is going to be much younger then what I thought about. The other rolls are quite average but my Int is very high (17) so I will be able to invest in other hobby skills.
Yeah that's fine ... could also have made him a medical student but a freshly qualified B.Md works for me.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

I'm ready.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

So, will we be starting today/tonight?
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Priest wrote:So, will we be starting today/tonight?
Yes we will indeed Not heard back from Howerd Phillips nor Aliktren, so the inference is that they may well not be joining us ,,, no matter, we can advance with yourself as Prof Jones, Mr Handy's Prof Johnson, Royya's Joseph Huckleberry and Garrett's Mark Davison. We can always find a way to slot them in later I guess if they do show up.

Will make the initial post(s) later this afternoon (I'm on GMT - so about 4-5 hours from now -ish)
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Here are three new skills that you may wish to consider before we start off.

Machete (15%)-Damage 1d8+1+db. A machete is a broad-bladed one-handed knife 18-30 inches long-a descendant of the hand-to-hand cutlass, minus the hand guard. In the tropics one might use a machete to hack away overgrowth, to harvest sugar cane and other crops, to substitute it for an axe, or as a handy weapon with which to attack. Lacking a hand guard, the machete cannot parry.

Mayan Hieroglyphics (01)-With this skill, investigators can translate and interpret Mayan hieroglyphic inscriptions. Sometimes a portion of an inscription simply proves untranslatable, no matter how good the translator is. There is still a lot to learn about the Maya - even today.

Maya Lore (01)-This skill measures the amount an investigator knows about the art, architecture, and culture of the ancient Maya. Use this skill to tentatively date buildings or ceramics, identify images of gods or kings, and interpret the complex symbols contained within Mayan art. Reading Mayan hieroglyphics is a separate skill.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Ready when you are.
I don't think Machete would be Meredith's thing and anything Mayan is the wrong culture, more up Prof Johnsons tree perhaps.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Priest wrote:Ready when you are.
I don't think Machete would be Meredith's thing and anything Mayan is the wrong culture, more up Prof Johnsons tree perhaps.
Mainly for his use it is true - but the option is there for all
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks! I definitely want both Mayan Heiroglyphics and Mayan Lore at a respectable level. I'm going to have to make a lot of changes to my character sheet. Can I use occupational skill points for those two skills? If so, I'll have to take those 20 back that I added to History and the 25 I put into Spanish (I'll keep Spanish, but take the 25 hobby points I'd put into Navigate and put them back there). I'll probably put the points in Mayan Heiroglyphics that are currently in the Mayan language. I may need to take points from other skills as well.

Shouldn't Mayan Hieroglyphics and Mayan Lore start at 1% rather than 0%? Every other skill (except for Cthulhu Mythos) has a base of at least 1%.

I actually didn't know that the Mayans would be relevant to the adventure when I created my character, but it's great that it worked out this way.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Mr. Handy wrote:Thanks! I definitely want both Mayan Heiroglyphics and Mayan Lore at a respectable level. I'm going to have to make a lot of changes to my character sheet. .
Not too many changes I hope - I had built the scenarios around the information given - each player in the spotlight etc. But it was my fault for springing them three skills on you at the last minute I guess.

Mr. Handy wrote: Can I use occupational skill points for those two skills? If so, I'll have to take those 20 back that I added to History and the 25 I put into Spanish (I'll keep Spanish, but take the 25 hobby points I'd put into Navigate and put them back there). I'll probably put the points in Mayan Heiroglyphics that are currently in the Mayan language. I may need to take points from other skills as well.
it's your character - balance it as you see fit
Mr. Handy wrote:Thanks! I definitely want both Mayan Heiroglyphics and Mayan Lore at a respectable level. I'm going to have to make a lot of changes to my character sheet. Can I use occupational skill points for those two skills? If so, I'll have to take those 20 back that I added to History and the 25 I put into Spanish (I'll keep Spanish, but take the 25 hobby points I'd put into Navigate and put them back there). I'll probably put the points in Mayan Heiroglyphics that are currently in the Mayan language. I may need to take points from other skills as well.

Shouldn't Mayan Hieroglyphics and Mayan Lore start at 1% rather than 0%? Every other skill (except for Cthulhu Mythos) has a base of at least 1%.

I actually didn't know that the Mayans would be relevant to the adventure when I created my character, but it's great that it worked out this way.
Mr. Handy wrote:Shouldn't Mayan Hieroglyphics and Mayan Lore start at 1% rather than 0%? Every other skill (except for Cthulhu Mythos) has a base of at least 1%.
The book I have states 0%, but I ain't gonna quibble over a single percentile. I think it starts at 0% as it is such an obscure field was the reasoning behind the 0% value.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

It'll be some time before I can finish rearranging my character and filling in the background, possibly not until the weekend.

I think the reason the book lists those skills at 0% is that the campaign is very old. Earlier editions of Call of Cthulhu did start many skills at 0%, but this was later changed to 1% (probably in 5th edition).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
tormsen
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by tormsen »

So, my character is up and ready. Should I assume that my character at the dinner, or will she be introduced in a different manner?
Aliktren
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by Aliktren »

terribly rude of me I do apologize, I would still like a crack at this, if you still have a spot open I will try and get a character together tomorrow... if not then I have learned my lesson
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

No problem - you want a crack at it then so you shall. Get a character rolled up and off we shall jolly well go ... unless you want to take the part of the epigrapher ... he's an interesting character, but I suspect you'll want to put your own stamp on the game.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

sorry for my 4 days absence.

Garret, in your last post you replied as Joseph instead of Mark.
Garrett
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by Garrett »

Hey, I don't think I can do this game after all, I just have too much shit to do.

Sorry it took me too long to get you this message, my computer was broken.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

No problem Garrett, I figured something must be up when your profile said you had not been on for a couple of weeks.

Hope your 'shit' get sorted soon and if it does maybe you might want to consider joining at a later date. I will take control of your character as the group's 'security expert / tank, they are going to need it.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh

Return to “Spawn of Azathoth”