Page 1 of 1

An American in China

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:20 am
by Tabs
Dr. Renwick, in the corridor, is again staring out the window.

His back turned to Santiago, he mutters: "Bloody Americans!"

Re: An American in China

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:25 pm
by aine
Santiago joins Henry at the window and wipes his forehead theatrically. "¡Uf! what a woman. She has a strong personality." He catches Henry's expression and grins, "At least she's better looking than Arashi!"

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:45 pm
by Tabs
"True, Santiago, true. The word 'vamp' was coined for someone like Ms. Lamarr . . . be careful," warns Renwick sardonically, "you are a married man! I sense trouble ahead, and would suggest we part company with the American, but she seems to know about travel in China, and if we are to reach Khotan, well . . ."--he shrugs.

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:34 pm
by aine
"Indeed I am; don't worry, I hadn't forgotten. That side of it I'm all fine with; It's the child I'm having difficulty with, Posie's a lovely girl but I don't know how to pretend to be a father. Talk about in at the deep end." Santiago shrugs, "At least Elizabeth seems to know what to do." He's lost in thought for a few moments. "You know I have to get to this temple in Sinkiang; whatever Senora, or Senorita Lamarr says about it being off limits."

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:32 am
by Cearlan

Looking closely at Santiago I say

"Deep end or not, you will make a fine father, albeit it imitationem patris. Remember that we are all in this together and we will support each other to the end I am sure. Even little Posy will have a part to play, even if it is only to keep us occupied and our spirits up!" I bark out a mirthless laugh.

"Regarding our new 'friend,' I hesitated mentioning that I too have experience as an archaeologist because I mistrust her somewhat. Call it my British reserve but after all I mean we have all been through this awful experience together so we have a bond in extremis. What do we know of this woman after all? I believe I have mentioned to you before that there is no such thing in my mind as coincidence. Please be careful with her until she proves me wrong is all I say." I put my hand on Santiago's shoulder and give him a friendly squeeze and a nod and tight smile before I drop my hand to my side and continue to look out the window at the passing countryside.

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:12 pm
by aine
"You are right. It is rather strange that a woman is travelling by herself out here. And I thought archaeologists travelled in huge teams with minions and tons of equipment. Well I won't mention that of which I spoke of in the bar with the Green Spot either - not yet anyway. It looks like we are going the same direction for a while at least and it would seem odd not to travel in company with Senora Lamarr. Let us return to the women and see how it pans out. We can use 'Green Spot' as a code word if either of us thinks things are becoming treacherous." Santiago smiles wryly as he says this; considering what has happened so far.

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:25 am
by Cearlan

Renwick furrows his brow and looks Santiago in the eye. "Before we do though, and I agree about the need for circumspection and all that, but has our experiences to date made us too paranoid about people?"

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:53 pm
by aine

"Possibly old friend, possibly. But, we both had the same gut reaction, for whatever reason, and I have survived on my instincts so far." Santiago looks hard at his friend. "She may not be Japanese but I have other people searching for me - and what I carry - who have already tried to kill me. Senora Lamarr is very beautiful and intelligent; that she is also an archeologist makes her a perfect agent for my enemies; they've used force up to now, perhaps this time they are trying guile and beauty to foil me."

He pulls out the thong around his neck and again shows Henry the strange device on it. "This has been in my family's treasures for hundreds of years. It, and other strange relics, were stolen from our castillo near Madrid during the recent war. In my search to recover them I have discovered that the relics all point to a hidden temple here in China. I am wondering if this lost temple may be the greatest treasure of all and is why others search for it also." He hides the device back in his shirt. "I should have told Elizabeth my reasons for being in China but I've had no chance yet." He shrugs, "So you see why I am a little paranoid. And I don't want to lead you or the others into trouble, Henry." His eyes light up, "But what an adventure, eh? Shall we return to the cougar's lair?"

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:57 am
by Cearlan

"Well my good friend, let us go seeking adventure, and in earnest - I hope your search proves successful.. Now the cougar awaits us." As I look through the carriage window I can see that our new 'friend' has managed to ingratiate herself with the girls "We look to have our work cut out here - she has got in with the ladies, I suppose there she has an advantage."

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:55 am
by Tabs
He pulls out the thong around his neck . . .

[ooc: Move back to topic "Peking-Hankow Express."]

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:25 pm
by aine
Santiago hides a smile as he leaves the compartment. "The senora is an American." He says, as if that explains everything and he leads the way through the towards the front of the train with Henry muttering behind him. "The food parcel that Mrs Quan packed for us is in The baggage car; the next one, before the engine; I hope we don't need Mingzu for translation." He looks for the connecting door to the baggage car.

Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:07 am
by Tabs
The 1st class carriage has another, smaller, compartment, beside the door to the baggage wagon. Inside, playing cards on a deal table are the conductor and guard. A vacant chair and several face-down cards indicate where the steward was sat. The conductor asks the Westerners: "Dou Dizhu?" You guess it is the name of the card game and an invitation to play.

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:26 am
by aine
Santiago nods curtly to the card players. in an aside to Henry he says, "What do you think? Should we be friendly or severe as Mingzu suggested?" He then looks back to the conductor, holds up one finger, then he mimes eating and points to the baggage car. "First I need to get food from our supplies in the baggage car."

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:42 am
by Cearlan
I furrow my brow as I try to recall what "Dou Dizhu? means as I have heard it several times from the indigenous workers on the site at Zoukhoudian. He has definately heard it several times but doesn't register as to what it may be. After all one did not get to know the natives too closely, there had to be some level of decorum. As he racks his brain thinking about this he starts to think that maybe he was wrong to take this approach. Then when Santiago offer to play a hand I feel obliged to follow suit. "When on the dig, I heard the natives use this term though never quite grasped it's meaning."

Henry's translation of dou dizhu (1d100=51) skill Mandarin = 30% - Fai

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:55 pm
by Tabs
The conductor waves Santiago away, laughing and muttering rapidly to his companion.

They open the door to the baggage wagon.

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:32 pm
by aine
"Great." Says Santiago, "lets get the food and then think about cards." He steps into the baggage car keeping his eyes peeled for their belongings.
ooc,Looking for their bags, spot hidden (65%) [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4290848/]1d100=74[/url]

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:57 pm
by Cearlan
Roll,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4291707/]Spot Hidden looking for food in the baggage compartment - 45% - failure(1d100=78)[/url]
OOC,Why is this baggage compartment filled with coal again?
Looking round the baggage compartment proves fruitless as I can see no trace of the food ... or any of our baggage come to think of it.

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:18 am
by Tabs
ooc,[quote]Why is this baggage compartment filled with coal again? [/quote] It's not! I'm sure I didn't write that. :)
Two trunks, with labels and tickets attached, and the name "Lamarr" stenciled on their lid; behind these, the rifles, carpet bag, wine and the food parcel.

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:37 pm
by aine
"Hmm, interesting. What I'd give to have a look in those." Santiago casts an eye back to see what the train staff are doing. "It'd be useful to see if Senora Lamarr is who she says." He says in a low voice to Henry.

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:06 pm
by Cearlan
OOC - Tabs,I said that about the compartment being filled with coal because my spot hidden roll was that bad.

"If you are going to check on her then I should keep the guards occupied ... just hope they don't clean me out eh?" I say with a tight smile as I look back towards where they seem engrossed in their game.

Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:40 pm
by Tabs
Spoiler:
ooc--Cearlan,I see; your humour is too acute for me. :)
The trunks are strapped with leather belts and padlocked--strong looking but old.

Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:45 pm
by aine
Santiago chuckles, "I'll be quick! Just cough if someone comes." He looks for old labels on the trunks for previous destinations that Lamarr may have gone to. There are a few worn out ones, but it's a bit too dark to make anything out. He then inspects the locks and uses his penknife to try opening them... and it almost works. "He whispers, "Not much luck, Henry. Do you want to try?"

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:29 pm
by Cearlan

I splutter and cough ... "Why I would not even know where to start ... how does one go about it? Oh I see!" as Santiago tries to explain the procedure "Sounds easy enough, but I just cannot seem to get the bally lock open!" I stifle my frustration as the lock refuses my attempts to open it.

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:22 pm
by aine

"It was worth a try." Santiago climbs over the trunks and retrieves Mrs. Quan's food parcel which he passes to Renwick. He has a quick check over the rifles and other boxes of theirs before jumping back. "So Henry," He says with a smile, "Should we see if our luck is better with cards than locks? I can first run the food back to the ladies pronto."

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:08 am
by Cearlan

"Yes I suppose it was worth a try, but the concept seems totally foreign to me - but then again, it's hardly like surgery now ... or disarming Japanese soldiers of their swords now is it?" I chortle conspiratorially to my friend. "Though the challenge was pretty exciting to try, nonetheless! Yes you return to the women while I engage the guards and see what I may learn of their game."

As Santiago scurries away with the food parcel I can feel my own stomach rumble and sigh secretly hoping that he remembers to bring something back for us to eat.

I approach the guards once more and try to watch them play a hand or two before I play to see if I can pick their game up. I gesture to the seat and try to ask them if I may join in once I pick the game up. I surprise myself at the fluency, at least to my western ears, of my speech and inflection. This coupled with the lack of them bursting out laughing or taking offence at my efforts means I must have got somewhere in the region right.

Speak other language - Mandarin (to guards for card game) /30% (1d100=1)

OOC,Why could I not get this roll when picking the lock - Damn it to hell!!! What a waste just to play a game of cards - ;-( lol
[/color]

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:46 am
by Tabs
Santiago returns to the girls.

[ooc: aine, pop back to topic "Peking-Hankow Express." Cearlan, I'll post the guards reaction soon.]

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:55 pm
by Tabs

The conductor, who Renwick understands perfectly, motions the Doctor to sit with them. "I am Deng, and this good for nothing"--he nods at the guard--"is Bo." Bo smiles, exhibiting jagged yellow teeth. "You know the game Dou Dizhu?"

Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:12 am
by Cearlan
I give a slight bow in greeting to the conductor and then Bo in turn as he is introduced to me as I take the proffered seat. "Deng, Bo ... I am Henry, thank you. As for the game I am afraid it does not look familiar to me. Could you give me a quick run through of the rules please."

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:49 pm
by Tabs
Deng replies: "Hmmm, how do I start to explain---"

"Poe-ka," interrupts Bo, in an unintelligible patois.

"Yes!" says Deng. "Shall we play poker?"

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:01 pm
by Cearlan

"Ah - I understand poker to an extent, though am not too good."

Throughout the game I will use all my acumen to quiz the guards about life in the interior

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:49 am
by Tabs

"'Not too good,'" repeats Deng, "oh, excellent!" Both he and Bo chuckle--obviously Bo understands the Doctor. Bo shuffles the cards and begins to deal five to each player; Deng tips over a mug of dried beans, "Chips," says he, "What have you got to pay for some Chips, Henwi?"

Bo Image

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:03 am
by Cearlan
"Ah ... how much do they run to then Bo?" Henry asks, trying unsuccessfully to look naive.

Henry's persuade roll with guards to try and get them onside (1d100=98)

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:48 pm
by Tabs
Bo looks at Deng and rattles off some gobbledygook, they argue, then Deng says: "$5 for 20 beans, okay?"
Renwick's cards,6D [6 of diamonds], 7S, 7C, 10H, KH
Deng throws a bean down (he's in), next it's Renwick's turn, then Bo.

"Going all the way to Hankow, Henwi?" asks Deng.

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:30 pm
by aine

Santiago arrives, with the steward in tow. He smiles wryly and sits down next to Renwick, making room for the steward too. He puts some bags of food on the table; some seseme buns, rice and some strange brown stuff. "Hola, Señores." He says to the Chinese. To Renwick he says, "Are you winning, Henry? What game do they play here?"

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:23 am
by Cearlan
OOC, can't see the cards Tabs - but I'll go blind this round.

"I'm in." After laying down the bean I turn to Santiago "An expensive game of poker my friend! We have just started - are the ladies alright?"

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:27 pm
by Tabs
Renwicks cards,6D (6 of diamonds), 7S, 7C, 10H, KH It was the apostrophe what did it. :)
Bo nonchalantly tosses a bean on to the table.

Deng, the conductor, grins a welcome to Santiago and the steward. Bo dips a finger in the brown stuff and licks it appreciably in a vaguely disgusting manner; "Plum Sauce," says Deng in stilted English.

[ooc: Santiago, the conversation is in Chinese, succeed in a "Know" roll (65%) to gather the gist of the talk.]

Deng discards and then draws three cards. Renwick's turn. . . .

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:35 pm
by Cearlan
OOC,As I personally have no idea about the workings of poker I have no idea what to do with this or any other hand. Do I go with the pair of sevens or high hearts? If I had to guess - and it is a guess then I'd probably go with the pair in the hand being better than the bird in the bush to totally destroy my metaphors. Keep the sevens - hand three and get three newer cards.

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:02 am
by Tabs
[ooc: Actually, I don't know Poker either--I was hoping you wouldn't notice! Do you, and aine, want to play a few hands anyway? This link gives the basics: http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~gc00 ... pokerrules ; basically, receive 5 cards, bet, draw (and replace) from 1-3, bet again, and reveal. When betting, either fold, call or raise. See link for how the hands are ranked.]

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:54 pm
by Cearlan
I'll go with the pair in the hand being better than the bird in the bush to totally destroy my metaphors. Keep the sevens - hand three and get three new cards.

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:28 pm
by aine
Santiago leans over the table and rubs his chin. "Not really my game I'm afraid. Still, deal me in." He nods to the dealer. "What are we playing with -Beans?" He smiles, getting the general gist of the conversation. "Plum sauce, huh? Then I'll eat it". He opens the food bags and gestures for everyone to help themselves. "I brought a bit extra."

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:06 am
by Tabs

Deng warbles away to Santiago with a great deal of hand gesture; Santiago gathers that he, and the steward, must wait until the next turn to join the game. Renwick, who is on fire when it comes to understanding Chinese, hears:
Deng speaks,"The red devil is eager to give us his money!"
Bo and Wu, the steward, giggle avariciously.
Renwicks draw [3 cards],2D, 7H, JS.

Bo discards a card and draws another; he whistles silently through his jagged teeth.

[Final round of betting; 3 beans on the table.]

Deng "calls" by throwing down one bean and "raises" with another bean. [Total of 5 beans on the table.] Renwick can either Fold, Call or Raise; to Call (the minimum cost to stay in the game) he must pay two beans.

Wu bows his head to Santiago, smiles, takes a sesame bun, and dunks it in the plum sauce.

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:55 pm
by Cearlan

Renwick looks at Deng and says in flawless Mandarin; "The 'red devil' may have given you some leeway with the price of the beans, but do not seek to be taking further advantage. I call, and raise." I lay two beans down followed by a second pair of beans. "Over to you Bo"

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:11 am
by Tabs
Wu looks to Bo, Bo checks with Deng, then Wu says to Deng:
[Renwick] Wu speaks,"Mind your manners with the passengers, Deng, especially when one of them can understand you!"
"Four beans?" says Deng to himself, unsure whether to be impressed or amused. Bo tosses down his cards, he "folds." Deng reveals his hand, laying them expertly upon the table: 4C, 5C, 9C, QC, KC, "A flush."

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:56 pm
by aine

Santiago silently raises an eyebrow.

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:52 pm
by aine
And eats some rice with plum sauce. "You have great skill at the cards, Senor. You must play a lot on these long journeys into the west." He says to Deng, unsure if the man would understand him but hopes he'll get the gist.

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:10 pm
by Tabs
Santiago hands over $5 and receives 20 beans to bet with.

Deng gives Santiago a blank look--he either does not, or chooses not, to understand.

The Doctor throws, face down, his cards, he has lost 5 (of his 20) beans. Deng wins; he gleefully gathers the beans and cards. Bo shuffles and then deals to Wu, who is sat to Bo's left, then Santiago, Renwick, Deng and himself.
Santiagos cards,4H (4 of hearts), 8H, 10D, 10C, AH.
Renwicks cards,6D, 9C, JS, QS, QH.
Wu, focusing intently at the cards before him, "calls" by placing a bean upon the table.

[ooc: Santiago's turn: "fold," "call" or "raise"--your decision is based upon your cards; next round, discard and receive from 1-3 cards; and then a final round of betting. **Any questions, or if you don't wish to play for real, just say.** ]

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:03 pm
by aine

Santiago puts a bean down on the table.
Next round (draw?),He puts down the 4H and 8H to exchange.

Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:17 pm
by Tabs
Everyone places down one bean, except the last player, Bo, who places down two beans. Next round, Wu draws one card, Santiago two, Renwick three, Deng one, and Bo two.
Santiagos cards,He draws: 3C, AS. [Add to 10D, 10C, AH.]
Renwicks cards,He draws: 2S, 4S, 8S. [Add to JS, QS.]
Final round, Wu "calls" and pays two beans [the minimum bet]; Santiago's turn. . . .

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:17 pm
by aine
Santiago wordlessly puts down another two beans. And then one more.

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:28 am
by Tabs
Renwick looks ever so unsure, he hesitates, then places down three beans: "I'm in, old chap"; Deng slaps his cards down and mutters "Jībā"; Bo places three beans upon the table.

Everyone reveals their poker hand:

Wu: 2H, 5H, 7H, 10H, QH.

Santiago: 3C, 10D, 10C, AH, AS.

Renwick: 2S, 4S, 8S, JS, QS.

Bo: 9D, JH, KC, KS, AD.

Renwick and Wu have a flush, Santiago two pairs and Bo one pair; Renwick wins with the higher second card.

"Daddy! Daddy! How much have you won?" enquires Posie excitedly, skipping up to Santiago and clutching his arm, she rests her chin upon the inside of his elbow and peers up shyly.

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:10 pm
by aine

Santiago grins, "Well done Henry!" He hears running feet and looks round with a smile as Posie skips up. "Not as much as Uncle Henry here!" He laughs, ruffling her hair. "Posie, this is Mr Wu, Mr Deng and Mr Bo. Say 'hello' nicely."

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:46 pm
by Cearlan

I mutter something underneath my breath about never winning at anything Godly then smile affectionately at Posie and giving her a short nod say; "Hello there Posie, you don't mind if I borrow your father for a short while now do you? I need to get back some of that money he took off me last week." I introduce Posie and translate for Deng and Bo so they can understand the interaction whilst the next hand is being dealt. "This is Deng and this Bo, Posie." I add indicating each of them in turn

"Well Gentlemen, we have only seen the coastal areas of your magnificent country and Peking of course. What sort of things can we expect as we venture deeper into the Chinese heartlands?" I add conversationally before looking at my own cards.

Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:23 pm
by Tabs
"Hello," says Posie timidly.

Deng replies: "Nǐ hǎo," Wu and Bo bow solemnly as if addressed by someone of great import. Posie giggles.

"No, Mr. Renwick," says Posie, "I don't mind if you borrow him at all." She thinks, brow furrowed, then asks: "Did Daddy take your money, really?"

[ooc:
"Well Gentlemen, we have only seen the coastal areas of your magnificent country and Peking of course. What sort of things can we expect as we venture deeper into the Chinese heartlands?"
--The "boys" will answer shortly.]

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:00 pm
by Tabs
Deng answers the Doctor in Chinese; Santiago is unable to understand the reply.

Mingzhu enters the compartment. Placing an arm on Posie's shoulder she says: "I trust Posie is not distracting you from the game, Señor el Aguila?"--Posie removes her chin from Santiago and embraces Mingzhu.

Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:49 pm
by aine
Santiago smiles, "No, we are having a break anyway; these men are impressing us with their amazing knowledge of the Chinese interior. I hope - I can't understand a word!" He laughs and introduces her to the men around the table, "Deng, Bo and Wu; Senorita Mingzhu." He looks back at Mingzhu,"Did you get something to eat? Is Elizabeth okay? How's she getting on with the.. er.. American woman?" He finishes politely.

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:45 am
by Tabs

"Yes, we have eaten, and yes, Elisabeth is fine--though the American woman can be a bit trying, but she is fun."

"'Senorita,'" repeats Mingzhu, stroking her permed blue-black hair whilst admiring herself in a make-believe mirror, "if only. . . ."--she sighs.

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:51 am
by Tabs
The locomotive slows. Deng leaves followed by Mingzhu and Posie.

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:39 pm
by aine
"Just a minute, Posie." Santiago looks at the men around the table, "Excuse me for five minutes please. Henry, look after my beans!" Then he gets up and takes Posie's hand. "Come on, we'll watch together." And he leads her to a door and lifts her up where she can watch the comings and goings on the platform. At the same time, Santiago keeps a sharp look out for anyone he may recognise or who looks suspicious.

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:47 pm
by Cearlan

"Where are we now Bo?" I ask deferentially. "We, Senor Santiago and his family and I, are going to Hankow initially. Thereafter, our plans are somewhat less ordered. We would wish to see the country as it it meant to be seen, away from the commercial districts of Peking and so forth."

Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:06 pm
by Tabs

Santiago takes the little girl by the hand. The locomotive stops beside a platform with a small crowd of hawkers, selling melons, chestnuts, etc. in wicker bowls and pottery dishes: it's a mini market. The second and third class carriages disgorge many peasants and soon the platform is milling with indistinguishable people. Santiago does, however, spot Deng enter the station master's hut.

"You don't mind, do you," whispers Posie, "being my pretend daddy?"--she sounds as if she needs assurance.

Renwick,"Save your breath with that one," answers Wu in Chinese, referring to Bo, "we can barely understand him ourselves--he's from a forsaken, far-flung province, way out West."

Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:51 am
by aine
Santiago whispers back, "As long as you don't mind being a pretend daughter!" And gives her a brief hug. "Look, that man is selling chestnuts; shall we try to buy some before the train moves off again?" He opens the carriage door and helps Posie down, then he leads her to the hawker and fishes out some change. "Keep a tight hold of my hand, Posie, it would be terrible to miss the train; what would poor Henry do?!" He points to five bags of nuts and holds out some small change.

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:38 am
by Tabs
"Thanks, awfully," grins Posie. She adds: "Can I have a kiwi fruit, too?" She hangs upon Santiago's arm and swings playfully.

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:18 pm
by Cearlan

"As we are heading to the West, perhaps his localised knowledge may be beneficial, or is it that he is to the extreme West of the country?" Henry asks looking down as he shuffles the cards. Looking up at Wu he continues "Where does he come from do you happen to know, would I or Santiago know of it?"

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:57 am
by aine
Santiago raises an eyebrow and looks down at Posie swinging on his arm. "Is this how a young lady behaves in a foreign land? Here are some coins, I'll come with you but you can buy the kiwi fruit." He picks up the nuts and walks with Posie to the kiwi fruit vendor. Being so tall, he towers over most of the milling people and he keeps a casual but sharp lookout as he goes.

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:35 pm
by Tabs
Cearlan,Wu will reply to the Doctor shortly.
"Oh, how exciting!" giggles Posie. "You know, I've never been alowed to buy anything." She repeats with disgust: "Anything!"

Santiago locks eyes with . . .
Santiago,. . . the next tallest person in the mini market: [img]http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/makken123/c4e90820-b0e0-4897-907a-ceb7b91ff077_zpse3afebd3.jpg[/img] [b]Caroline [/b]turns around, her hair gracefully cascading as she purposely ignores [b]Santiago [/b]but makes sure he knows he's being ignored and curses and swears her way in pidgin mandarin through the crowd to buy some more nuts.

Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:20 am
by aine
Santiago watches Caroline prowl through the crowd and smiles grimly to himself, "What a woman! Damned attractive but too hot to handle- hats off to the man who could tame her." He has a whimsical image of a trail of chewed and charred corpses: weaker men who were brave enough to try a dalliance with the she-demon.

He is pulled from his musings by Posie tugging on his hand, "Okay, okay, I'm watching; give the man the coins." He waits patiently as Posie pours over the kiwi fruits looking for the very best ones. "This is another likely one, when she grows up." He thinks.

Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:05 pm
by Tabs
Renwick,[img]http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/makken123/8af728cb-1858-4ef9-b435-3ced5395f67c_zps6faac26d.jpg[/img] "Bo is from the city of Urumchi, in Sinkiang province," answers Wu. "He fled from the Tungan rebels--or was it the Bolsheviks?--and now ports luggage on a locomotive!" Wu shouts at Bo: "Tungans or Bolsheviks, Bo?" Bo simply smiles. [img]http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/makken123/Bo_zpsbda205ad.jpg[/img] Wu continues: "Don't mind Bo, his first language is Turki or Mongol."

Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:30 pm
by Tabs
"I think it'll be this one," decides Posie, selecting a plump kiwi after squeezing several.

Deng, the conductor, shouts: "Suǒyǒu dēng jī!" and waves a flag.

Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:08 pm
by Cearlan

I nod my head in contemplation of the information given by Wu. "So the rebels are a big problem then, if they are in such a position so as to cause our friend to up sticks from his home, and resort to porting the luggage of others - not that I mean any disrespect for this of course. The fact that they could be either Bolsheviks or Tungans may be useful information. You know what they say, forewarned is forearmed.

Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:55 pm
by aine
Santiago looks up as the whistle blows, "Good, pay the man and it's time to get back on board, Posie. The train's about to leave." Once she has paid, Santiago will lead her to the carriage and board the train where the women were seated.

Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:13 pm
by Tabs
[ooc: aine, move back to "Peking-Hankow Express" topic.]

"A dangerous province Sinkiang," says Wu, "it's worse there than down south in Szechwan where the Chinese communists are." Deng returns and interrupts the conversation:

"The game is over"--throwing $10 onto the table--"go back to your compartment."

Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:48 pm
by Cearlan

"If I have said or done anything to offend ..." I offer as I rise to a standing position, trying to think of a reason why Deng should take on so. I look to the others to see if they can offer any clue as to his sudden and abrupt change in demeanour.

Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:11 pm
by Tabs

"We have work to do," answers a severe Deng. Wu grabs his green tea urn and mutters, "My rounds--the other compartments"; and Bo stands, "Xing!" he whistles in disgust, and exits the compartment.

Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:22 pm
by aine
Santiago stops to allow several grumpy looking guardsmen past before he enters the compartment. "What have you done, Henry? They look very fed-up."

Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:22 pm
by Cearlan

I look towards Santiago with a dumbfounded look upon my face. "I .... errr I'm not exactly sure. Come along Santiago, let us walk awhile to return to the ladies shall we?" I nod towards whoever is left at the table. "My thanks for the game gentlemen ... Sorry I did not grasp the game you were playing originally. I feel my friend and I should return to our companions now."

When clear of the guards and conductors I pull Santiago to one side and talk to him, informing him of events in the guards van whilst he was away with Posie. "Perhaps we can have a word with Bo to one side. The fact that he is fleeing from bandits, be they Tungans or Bolsheviks may or may not be relevant" Unfortunately he only speaks a minimum amount of Chinese as his dialect is from the Western part of the country, somewhere in Sinkiang I believe."

Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:04 pm
by aine

"Well done; I couldn't understand a word. Interesting, he may be a good companion if we can persuade him to travel home with us." Santiago looks at Henry, "And the bandits? Maybe they'll cause some trouble for the people following us. I'm not worried about them. Perhaps we can help him." He looks out of the window as the country speeds up. "Are you ready to face Ms. American again? I saw her on the platform and she hasn't relented one bit." He grins, "If it wasn't for Elizabeth I'd play her at her own game; see how she likes it. And I still don't trust her."

Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:38 pm
by Tabs
[ ooc : Return to the other topic. ]

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:53 am
by Tabs
Caroline makes her way towards the front of the locomotive and the baggage car. There is a small compartment for the guards, inside is sat the porter, Bo.

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:34 pm
by DrPeterson
Caroline inclines her head at the porter and greets him in very American Mandarin.

Very American Mandarin,[color=#0000BF]Ni Hao! I need getting off in station. Luggage need loading for truck, but first storage at station.[/color]
OOC:,Do you want me to roll for greater fluency or is it okay if I use this level of pidgin?

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:58 am
by Tabs

Bo gives Caroline an appraising look and the benefit of his smile. He is the one who Dr. Renwick said did not speak Chinese well, just his own languages of Turki and Mongol; however, he does understand why a foreigner would need his services. He glances at the pockets of Caroline's slacks, and rubs thumb and forefinger together, but otherwise he doesn't move.

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:52 pm
by DrPeterson
Caroline laughs and takes an appropriate amount of money from her trouser pocket and leads on to indicate her luggage.

"Chengchow", she says as she taps her coffers.

Accented Tibetan,[color=#0000BF]Do you speak Tibetan?[/color]

Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:53 am
by Tabs
Bo jumps up, very sprightly for an elderly man, he has a distinct lack of stature,--Caroline is a foot taller-- however, despite his size, he looks wiry and, probably, is used to porting heavy loads. He snaps the proffered coins:

"Chengchow? Kherev tiim bol," says Bo as he pushes past Caroline and beckons her to follow him into the baggage carriage.

OOC:   Only use language as window dressing. Maybe a word from Google translate and the remaining sentence in English but behind a Spoiler?  

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:16 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline raise a questioning eyebrow and inspects her luggage, making sure everything is still tied up and where she left, and also showing again to Bo which were hers.

She speaks slowly, emphasizing the Mandarin words.

"Chúcún Chengchow. Store these in Chengchow. I need to get papers, wénjiàn, first, from the governor's office, from the guǎnlǐ zhě"

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:47 am
by Tabs
Her two trunks, with their leather straps and padlock, seem undisturbed. Heaped upon the floor beyond them are a carpet bag, a crate, and some long, thin items wrapped in cloth.

Bo kowtows--Caroline is unsure how truly respectful it is--and says in English: "Yes--store--papers--yes."

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:15 pm
by DrPeterson

After having ascertained the readiness of her luggage, Caroline turns to Bo again.

"Thank you, xièxiè."

She then takes her leave and heads back to the passenger wagon.

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:29 am
by Tabs
Caroline opens the door of the baggage wagon, and meets Santiago who is making his way forward. Bo is inside sorting packages.

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:08 am
by DrPeterson

Caroline stops and smiles knowingly as Santiago approaches.

"Mr. Aquilla, what an unexpected pleasure. You needn't worry yourself however, I asked the porter to care of my...trunks."

Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:05 pm
by aine

"Senorita Lamarr."
Santiago braces himself against the carriage wall and speaks up above the rattling of the carriage. "I'm sure you are well capable of looking after yourself... and your belongings." He watches Bo stacking Caroline's trunks ready for removal, "Your luggage has lots of labels; you must have travelled to quite a few places around the world. Do you take it with you always?"

Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:04 am
by DrPeterson

Caroline's laugh is melodious, clearly ringing through over the din of the train.

"Mr Aquila, I only -take- what I -need-."

She doesn't seem to be moving out of the way to let Santiago pass.

"That luggage is the Society's, I preferring travelling light through rough terrain. Just what I can carry, a rifle over my shoulder and something to set my sights on."

Her eyes bore into his as she finishes her sentence.

"What about you? Do you always travel this...encumbered?"

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:59 am
by Tabs

Bo tries to squeeze past Santiago and the immovable Caroline.

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:24 am
by aine

"A box of wine and a family?"
Santiago shrugs, "It depends how much one is capable of handling - and keeping safe - in dangerous territory. I'm feeling confident. Elizabeth may seem quiet and meek on the surface but she has hidden strengths. She's tough. As are the others." He's about to say more but Bo arrives. "Ah, Senor Bo, please could you stop by and see Senor Renwick before we arrive?"

Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:33 pm
by Tabs
The little porter understands, he simply says: "Doctor Renwick, yes," and kowtows as he shuffles past.

Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:18 pm
by DrPeterson

Caroline assesses Santiago in one sweeping glance and shrugs, before heading to the passenger compartment.

Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:01 pm
by aine
Santiago smiles winningly as Caroline departs. Then he enters the luggage compartment, smiling at something he's just thought of. He collects the wine, guns and anything else (?) and puts them with Caroline's and the other luggage to be unloaded at the station. He has one last look round before leaving to go back to the others.

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:11 pm
by Tabs
OOC:   Caroline, return to the other topic.  
The remaining item is the carpet bag, containing medical supplies.
He has one last look round before leaving to go back to the others.
OOC:   Roll Spot Hidden [67%]  

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:57 pm
by aine
ooc,Roll: 50. (Dark&Moody but I can't log in)
Santiago frowns and takes a better look.

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:35 pm
by Tabs
Behind the shelves there is a cage--for valuable items--it is the length of the wagon, has its own window, and is seemingly empty; however, in one corner is a box.

The cage is locked.

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:29 pm
by aine
Santiago looks at the lock but realises there is no chance he'll ever open it. The box looks suitable for carrying weapons but he shrugs, maybe if he finds Bo, he'll ask the porter who owns the box. Santiago leaves the carriage to head back to the others.

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:05 pm
by Tabs
OOC:   Return to the other topic.