An American in China

Moderator: Tabs

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

An American in China

Post by Tabs »

Dr. Renwick, in the corridor, is again staring out the window.

His back turned to Santiago, he mutters: "Bloody Americans!"
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Re: An American in China

Post by aine »

Santiago joins Henry at the window and wipes his forehead theatrically. "¡Uf! what a woman. She has a strong personality." He catches Henry's expression and grins, "At least she's better looking than Arashi!"
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"True, Santiago, true. The word 'vamp' was coined for someone like Ms. Lamarr . . . be careful," warns Renwick sardonically, "you are a married man! I sense trouble ahead, and would suggest we part company with the American, but she seems to know about travel in China, and if we are to reach Khotan, well . . ."--he shrugs.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Indeed I am; don't worry, I hadn't forgotten. That side of it I'm all fine with; It's the child I'm having difficulty with, Posie's a lovely girl but I don't know how to pretend to be a father. Talk about in at the deep end." Santiago shrugs, "At least Elizabeth seems to know what to do." He's lost in thought for a few moments. "You know I have to get to this temple in Sinkiang; whatever Senora, or Senorita Lamarr says about it being off limits."
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by Cearlan »

Looking closely at Santiago I say

"Deep end or not, you will make a fine father, albeit it imitationem patris. Remember that we are all in this together and we will support each other to the end I am sure. Even little Posy will have a part to play, even if it is only to keep us occupied and our spirits up!" I bark out a mirthless laugh.

"Regarding our new 'friend,' I hesitated mentioning that I too have experience as an archaeologist because I mistrust her somewhat. Call it my British reserve but after all I mean we have all been through this awful experience together so we have a bond in extremis. What do we know of this woman after all? I believe I have mentioned to you before that there is no such thing in my mind as coincidence. Please be careful with her until she proves me wrong is all I say." I put my hand on Santiago's shoulder and give him a friendly squeeze and a nod and tight smile before I drop my hand to my side and continue to look out the window at the passing countryside.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"You are right. It is rather strange that a woman is travelling by herself out here. And I thought archaeologists travelled in huge teams with minions and tons of equipment. Well I won't mention that of which I spoke of in the bar with the Green Spot either - not yet anyway. It looks like we are going the same direction for a while at least and it would seem odd not to travel in company with Senora Lamarr. Let us return to the women and see how it pans out. We can use 'Green Spot' as a code word if either of us thinks things are becoming treacherous." Santiago smiles wryly as he says this; considering what has happened so far.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Renwick furrows his brow and looks Santiago in the eye. "Before we do though, and I agree about the need for circumspection and all that, but has our experiences to date made us too paranoid about people?"
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Possibly old friend, possibly. But, we both had the same gut reaction, for whatever reason, and I have survived on my instincts so far." Santiago looks hard at his friend. "She may not be Japanese but I have other people searching for me - and what I carry - who have already tried to kill me. Senora Lamarr is very beautiful and intelligent; that she is also an archeologist makes her a perfect agent for my enemies; they've used force up to now, perhaps this time they are trying guile and beauty to foil me."

He pulls out the thong around his neck and again shows Henry the strange device on it. "This has been in my family's treasures for hundreds of years. It, and other strange relics, were stolen from our castillo near Madrid during the recent war. In my search to recover them I have discovered that the relics all point to a hidden temple here in China. I am wondering if this lost temple may be the greatest treasure of all and is why others search for it also." He hides the device back in his shirt. "I should have told Elizabeth my reasons for being in China but I've had no chance yet." He shrugs, "So you see why I am a little paranoid. And I don't want to lead you or the others into trouble, Henry." His eyes light up, "But what an adventure, eh? Shall we return to the cougar's lair?"
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

"Well my good friend, let us go seeking adventure, and in earnest - I hope your search proves successful.. Now the cougar awaits us." As I look through the carriage window I can see that our new 'friend' has managed to ingratiate herself with the girls "We look to have our work cut out here - she has got in with the ladies, I suppose there she has an advantage."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

He pulls out the thong around his neck . . .

[ooc: Move back to topic "Peking-Hankow Express."]
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Santiago hides a smile as he leaves the compartment. "The senora is an American." He says, as if that explains everything and he leads the way through the towards the front of the train with Henry muttering behind him. "The food parcel that Mrs Quan packed for us is in The baggage car; the next one, before the engine; I hope we don't need Mingzu for translation." He looks for the connecting door to the baggage car.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

The 1st class carriage has another, smaller, compartment, beside the door to the baggage wagon. Inside, playing cards on a deal table are the conductor and guard. A vacant chair and several face-down cards indicate where the steward was sat. The conductor asks the Westerners: "Dou Dizhu?" You guess it is the name of the card game and an invitation to play.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Santiago nods curtly to the card players. in an aside to Henry he says, "What do you think? Should we be friendly or severe as Mingzu suggested?" He then looks back to the conductor, holds up one finger, then he mimes eating and points to the baggage car. "First I need to get food from our supplies in the baggage car."
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

I furrow my brow as I try to recall what "Dou Dizhu? means as I have heard it several times from the indigenous workers on the site at Zoukhoudian. He has definately heard it several times but doesn't register as to what it may be. After all one did not get to know the natives too closely, there had to be some level of decorum. As he racks his brain thinking about this he starts to think that maybe he was wrong to take this approach. Then when Santiago offer to play a hand I feel obliged to follow suit. "When on the dig, I heard the natives use this term though never quite grasped it's meaning."

Henry's translation of dou dizhu (1d100=51) skill Mandarin = 30% - Fai
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

The conductor waves Santiago away, laughing and muttering rapidly to his companion.

They open the door to the baggage wagon.

aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Great." Says Santiago, "lets get the food and then think about cards." He steps into the baggage car keeping his eyes peeled for their belongings.
ooc,Looking for their bags, spot hidden (65%) [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4290848/]1d100=74[/url]
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Roll,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4291707/]Spot Hidden looking for food in the baggage compartment - 45% - failure(1d100=78)[/url]
OOC,Why is this baggage compartment filled with coal again?
Looking round the baggage compartment proves fruitless as I can see no trace of the food ... or any of our baggage come to think of it.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

ooc,[quote]Why is this baggage compartment filled with coal again? [/quote] It's not! I'm sure I didn't write that. :)
Two trunks, with labels and tickets attached, and the name "Lamarr" stenciled on their lid; behind these, the rifles, carpet bag, wine and the food parcel.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Hmm, interesting. What I'd give to have a look in those." Santiago casts an eye back to see what the train staff are doing. "It'd be useful to see if Senora Lamarr is who she says." He says in a low voice to Henry.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

OOC - Tabs,I said that about the compartment being filled with coal because my spot hidden roll was that bad.

"If you are going to check on her then I should keep the guards occupied ... just hope they don't clean me out eh?" I say with a tight smile as I look back towards where they seem engrossed in their game.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh

Return to “Archive”