An American in China

Moderator: Tabs

DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Re: An American in China

Post by DrPeterson »

Caroline laughs and takes an appropriate amount of money from her trouser pocket and leads on to indicate her luggage.

"Chengchow", she says as she taps her coffers.

Accented Tibetan,[color=#0000BF]Do you speak Tibetan?[/color]
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by Tabs »

Bo jumps up, very sprightly for an elderly man, he has a distinct lack of stature,--Caroline is a foot taller-- however, despite his size, he looks wiry and, probably, is used to porting heavy loads. He snaps the proffered coins:

"Chengchow? Kherev tiim bol," says Bo as he pushes past Caroline and beckons her to follow him into the baggage carriage.

OOC:   Only use language as window dressing. Maybe a word from Google translate and the remaining sentence in English but behind a Spoiler?  
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Caroline raise a questioning eyebrow and inspects her luggage, making sure everything is still tied up and where she left, and also showing again to Bo which were hers.

She speaks slowly, emphasizing the Mandarin words.

"Chúcún Chengchow. Store these in Chengchow. I need to get papers, wénjiàn, first, from the governor's office, from the guǎnlǐ zhě"
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Her two trunks, with their leather straps and padlock, seem undisturbed. Heaped upon the floor beyond them are a carpet bag, a crate, and some long, thin items wrapped in cloth.

Bo kowtows--Caroline is unsure how truly respectful it is--and says in English: "Yes--store--papers--yes."
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

After having ascertained the readiness of her luggage, Caroline turns to Bo again.

"Thank you, xièxiè."

She then takes her leave and heads back to the passenger wagon.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Caroline opens the door of the baggage wagon, and meets Santiago who is making his way forward. Bo is inside sorting packages.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Caroline stops and smiles knowingly as Santiago approaches.

"Mr. Aquilla, what an unexpected pleasure. You needn't worry yourself however, I asked the porter to care of my...trunks."
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

"Senorita Lamarr."
Santiago braces himself against the carriage wall and speaks up above the rattling of the carriage. "I'm sure you are well capable of looking after yourself... and your belongings." He watches Bo stacking Caroline's trunks ready for removal, "Your luggage has lots of labels; you must have travelled to quite a few places around the world. Do you take it with you always?"
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Caroline's laugh is melodious, clearly ringing through over the din of the train.

"Mr Aquila, I only -take- what I -need-."

She doesn't seem to be moving out of the way to let Santiago pass.

"That luggage is the Society's, I preferring travelling light through rough terrain. Just what I can carry, a rifle over my shoulder and something to set my sights on."

Her eyes bore into his as she finishes her sentence.

"What about you? Do you always travel this...encumbered?"
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Bo tries to squeeze past Santiago and the immovable Caroline.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"A box of wine and a family?"
Santiago shrugs, "It depends how much one is capable of handling - and keeping safe - in dangerous territory. I'm feeling confident. Elizabeth may seem quiet and meek on the surface but she has hidden strengths. She's tough. As are the others." He's about to say more but Bo arrives. "Ah, Senor Bo, please could you stop by and see Senor Renwick before we arrive?"
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

The little porter understands, he simply says: "Doctor Renwick, yes," and kowtows as he shuffles past.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Caroline assesses Santiago in one sweeping glance and shrugs, before heading to the passenger compartment.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Santiago smiles winningly as Caroline departs. Then he enters the luggage compartment, smiling at something he's just thought of. He collects the wine, guns and anything else (?) and puts them with Caroline's and the other luggage to be unloaded at the station. He has one last look round before leaving to go back to the others.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   Caroline, return to the other topic.  
The remaining item is the carpet bag, containing medical supplies.
He has one last look round before leaving to go back to the others.
OOC:   Roll Spot Hidden [67%]  
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

ooc,Roll: 50. (Dark&Moody but I can't log in)
Santiago frowns and takes a better look.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Behind the shelves there is a cage--for valuable items--it is the length of the wagon, has its own window, and is seemingly empty; however, in one corner is a box.

The cage is locked.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Santiago looks at the lock but realises there is no chance he'll ever open it. The box looks suitable for carrying weapons but he shrugs, maybe if he finds Bo, he'll ask the porter who owns the box. Santiago leaves the carriage to head back to the others.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   Return to the other topic.  

Return to “Archive”