Miss Harriet

Moderator: Tabs

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Miss Harriet

Post by Tabs »

Mae leads Renwick through the parlour where Mrs. Quan is busy feeding the fire beneath a steaming cauldron, and adding mud splattered clothes to the hot water.

Mae stops at the foot of the stairs which go up to the womens' dormitory. "Doctor Renwick, Mrs. Quan asked me to change the bed sheets . . . but the Japanese lady, she is still in bed. And she is very still. . . ."
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Re: Miss Harriet

Post by Cearlan »

Henry's First Aid roll (1d100=7) 7 / 75% - Go Henry!

"Come with me!" I call out over my shoulder to Mae. As I enter the female dormitory, I can sense straight away that there is something not right with the Japanese lady (Arashi?). I rush over to her side and immediately check her for a pulse and other life signs.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Renwick suspects Arashi is dead. The Doctor pulls back the bed clothes to reveal her painfully thin body and drooping, pendulous breasts. Placing a hand over her heart he feels that it is lifeless, but the skin is warm--death would have come to the Japanese lady within the hour. He examines her ankles, which are swollen, and concludes that she died of heart failure.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Kneeling down beside the aged lady, I cover her up to preserve her modesty and place my ear against her chest. Hearing and feeling no sign of life I start to pinch a nail on her farthest hand to see how her blood flow is to her extremities then start to rub her nearest hand vigorously. Finally I place my knuckle on her sternum and press hard. If she is still alive she would have responded to at least one of these tests.

OOC is there any purpose in doing heart massage a.k.a. the Silvester method back in these days which had a low chance of success anyways as CPR as we know it didn't come into being until the mid to latter part of the 20th century
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

There isn't any response to the Doctor's tests. Arashi is dead.

"She died during breakfast--and her son is still eating," says Mae cryptically.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

I frown at her remark, puzzled over her meaning, then say "Tatsuo must be told at once, this could affect his desire to come with us greatly." Inwardly I think that 'Without her constantly putting him down, we may yet see his self confidence and esteem grow' and instantly curse myself for thinking so ill of the woman who has only just died. I rise and tell Mae that "I will take Tatsuo into the infirmary to tell him," but then realise that Elisabeth will be treating the remainder of the injured, such as the girl with the cut feet, there.

"On second thoughts I had better see him in here I think." I add
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Yes, Doctor," says Mae, rushing out of the dormitory and clattering down the stairs.

Within a few minutes Renwick hears her return, along with a second, heavier tread. "Tatsuo is here," says Mae, standing to one side.

"Doctor Renwick-san? . ." inquires Tatsuo.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Guiding the heavy man over to a bed at the opposite end of the women's dormitory, I gesture for the genial man to sit down next to me on a bed. Yet I embarrass myself by thinking, 'I hope that the frame can take our combined weights?' I think to myself as he lowers himself gingerly on the edge of the bed and am glad when it does, though it creaks in protest under the strain.

"Tatsuo my friend, it seems that I am a crow bringing nothing but bad news to my friends lately, and I have some bad news for you too. There is no easy way to say this but I find it best to come out and be straight to the point about this sort of thing. As I remarked to you earlier, it seems to fit your personality as well. And yet here I am rambling like an old fool." I take a deep breath and get ready to explain a loss to someone I consider to be a close friend once more. "Mae came down to me after I broke my fast and told me that your mother was not breathing, so I came upstairs as quickly as I could to see what I could do. Unfortunately she has passed over from the veil of tears. If it is any consolation I believe she did not suffer as indications make it look as though she had a heart attack and she looked peaceful when I arrived. If there is anything I can answer or do to help you then you know you only have to ask my friend. Are there any religious considerations that need to be observed for example and would you like a moment alone with her to say your goodbyes? I am truly sorry my friend, and I only wish I could have given you better news."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Tatsuo stares at the floor boards and then at the bed containing his dead mother. He doesn't speak, but begins to sob with his mouth open and eyes scrunched. Mae, unsure of what to do for the best, places an arm around Tatsuo's shoulder.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

British reserve prevents me from doing anything other than giving the wrestler's shoulder a hearty squeeze. "I ... I'm terribly sorry for your loss. Like I said if there is anything I can do at all, just name it."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"I--I think I want to be alone with her," says Tatsuo.

Mae gets up off the bed and exits the dormitory.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

"Certainly Tatsuo. I'll be down talking to Fr Pierpoint and Santiago in case you should need me for anything."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Dr. Renwick descends the stairs from the dormitory. In the parlour are Father Pierrepont, Mingzhu, Mae and Mrs. Quan, discussing Arashi's death.

"The Japanese man asked to be left alone," says Mae.

"Of course," says a troubled looking Father Pierrepont. "I wonder what religion she followed?"

Mingzhu says to Dr. Renwick and Father Pierrepont: "Miss Grey is in the dispensary, gathering medical supplies for the journey."
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

"Then I'll assist her then." I add with a start bringing me back to the situation in hand.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

[ooc: Renwick, move back to "Catholic Mission" topic. The Doctor will find Elisabeth in the dispensary.]

Return to “Archive”