Oil and Cloth

Moderator: Tabs

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Oil and Cloth

Post by Tabs »

Santiago sits beside the water cistern. He carries two "Type 99" rifles with 30 rounds (and two bayonets) and the fowling piece with 3 cartridges.

Round the side of the Mission building he can see Li in shirtsleeves, chopping wood.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Re: Oil and Cloth

Post by aine »

Santiago quickly strips the three guns and cleans all the pieces. He's not too sure about taking the fowling piece as it looks antiquated and only has the three rounds but then decides to take it for its menacing-looks factor. He considers the options of teaching Henry or Elizabeth a few tips on shooting rifles, if they get the chance on the journey, although it'd have to be ammo-free. The bayonets are well kept and rust free. He wraps them safely in oilcloth for the journey. A pistol would be useful, he decided to keep a lookout for an opportunity to acquire one. He takes one of the pieces he's cleaning and wanders over to Li.

"you're not coming with us Li? What are you going to do? It can't be safe for you as you didn't get a raffle token."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Santiago said [previously]:"Are we to return to the station by the Golden Pumpkin to pick up the train
"I could take you in the truck to the next station down the line," says Father Pierrepont.
  • ~
Outside--

"I am invited, Señor‎?" replies a surprised Li, taking a breather, leaning upon the wood axe. "Myself and Mae intend to return to Peking--a barman can always find work, and Mae has her studies at the university to complete. As for the raffle token, Mrs. Quan told me about it--she hears everything! The token's surface reflects like a mirror, doesn't it? I presumed that there was a connection to those searchlights . . . and in the confusion of a group crossing the millet field, Mae and I got lucky."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Santiago thinks back to last night. "That is an interesting theory, Li, and you may have something there. Well, I'm glad you and Mae have somewhere to go. Good luck and stay safe, it was a real pleasure to have met you." He goes back to the guns to clean some more bits and considers what Li said. It might mean that the whole passenger-carriage episode was planned. He wondered if their escape was as lucky as he had originally thought.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"And you, too, Señor," replies Li. He hefts the wood axe, and resumes chopping logs.

Father Pierrepont approaches Santiago, carrying another rifle.

"This is a .22 rifle and here are 75 rounds. The journey to Khotan crosses mountains and desert. You will need to shoot for the pot--duck, hares and suchlike. Please take them as a gift."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Santiago accepts the gift with pleasure. "thank you Father, that's very generous of you." He smiles, "Even I would have problems trying to shoot small game with these Japanese rifles; the .22 is much more suitable. Plus the ammunition for it is much more common should I need to pick up more." His eyes light up at the mention of the desert and mountains, "I'm almost looking forward to it. I'll load these into the truck. Is there anything I can do for you before we go?"
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Father Pierrepont replies: "Would you deliver some bottles of wine to the Catholic Fathers in Lanchow?--they are most jolly, and Spaniards, like yourself. Lanchow is on the road from Sian, but more importantly, I am sure that you can stay with them for a few nights."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Santiago looks almost wistful. "I would very much like to meet them, especially as I have not met any of my own people for some time. Put the wine in the truck," He smiles, "I promise not to drink any of it. I'll also deliver any messages you need to send so put them in too." He finishes cleaning the guns and wraps them each in oiled cloth. The ammunition goes back into its bags. "Well, Father, this mission has been our saviour; thank you. If I find what I am looking for, I will be able to send something back to you in return for your kindness. I would also like to spend a short time in the chapel before we go, if I may? I don't know this country at all; do you have any final advice for us?"
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"I do not think that there is much I can tell you," says Father Pierrepont. "Follow this cinder path, it leads to the chapel entrance. It is good to have a true believer." Smiling, he adds, "Father Anselm would describe the other guests as heretics."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Thank you Father." Santiago stacked the guns ready for transport and walked down the cinder path. He hadn't the heart to tell Father Pierrepont that, after all he had experienced; starting with the rioting peasants trying to sack his family home, and then all that he had seen on his travels; he had rather lost his way in the Catholic faith that he'd been brought up to.

He pushed open the small door to the chapel and stepped into quiet coolness. He walked gently up to the front and knelt, bowing his head. He stayed like that for some time but rather than praying, thoughts revolved in his head, chasing round and round; Dr Chee's gruesome murder, the fight in the black pitch mud, Henry with his head in his hands, Elizabeth, Admiral Kolchak with his wife sobbing by his bedside, Chunhua's eyes, Elizabeth smiling and then back to the Golden Pumpkin to start all over again
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Santiago feels calm inside the quiet chapel. He can hear the rhythmical, almost soothing thump of logs being split.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Santiago sighs and tries to calm his mind. He mutters an old prayer from his childhood but the words flitter away to be replaced by images of Elizabeth, smiling, laughing and blushing. He tries to evaluate his feelings for this brave young woman who has entered his life at the most unlikely time but all is in upheaval. She is nothing like the scheming shallow noble ladies from home but a whole new adventure that he can't relate to with his previous experiences. And this is the time when he should be concentrating on his mission. Santiago sighs again and tries another prayer.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Father Anselm enters through a doorway at the back of the chapel.

"Father Pierrepont said that you would be here. Would you like me to take your confession?"
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Santiago looks up, "Thank you Father. I'm afraid it has been a long while since I was last in a chapel. My prayers have been more in my mind than official and as for confession... although my mind is in a whirl I do seem mostly at peace with myself." He smiles, "I am on a difficult and dangerous adventure in a strange land and yet I feel confident, happy and alive. I'm very lucky, I think." He considers his friend Henry and his demons. "So I plan to make the most of it while it lasts; the uncertainties and dilemmas that I have, well, they are part of the adventure."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"As long as you think about what sins you have committed,--and we are all sinners--and you pray to God regularly, you can be forgiven if you strive to take the good 'path,'" says Father Anselm; "the 'path' ordained for yourself by God."

"Remember the Ten Commandments. And union between a man and a woman is blessed--in wedlock." Father Anselm looks hard at Santiago, is he thinking of someone in particular?
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Santiago looks down at the floor. "Yes Father. I understand." He sighs, "As for that, well, we've only known each other for twenty four hours and, although I feel like I never have done before with a woman and I think I know in my own heart, I want Elizabeth to know me much better first, so she can make a proper decision. So yes, although we are to be husband and wife to all outward appearances, I promise to act with decorum and not take advantage of the situation."

He smiles wryly, "I fear her father may regret his idea of our 'family' though." He looks at Father Amslem, "Do you think God would rather we were wed properly?"
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"I cannot speak for God," says Father Anselm. "What you have said fills me with confidence that you will do right by Miss Grey.

"Would you like some more time alone?"
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Santiago smiles and gets to his feet. "No thank you, Father, I am done. Let's get everyone onto the truck as soon as they are ready." He gestures for the Churchman to preceed him out of the chapel.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Father Anselm leads the way back to the entrance of the Mission where the truck is parked. "I see you have weapons," says he non-committal, peering into the truck; "Mrs. Quan is preparing you some food; here is some coin for the train fare to Chengchow; and I believe Doctor Renwick is taking some medicines from the dispensary. So, my son, you are set to---"

Father Pierrepont rushes outside: "Calamities, Father Anselm! The Japanese lady died of heart failure whilst we ate breakfast."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Arashi!" Santiago is surprised; he thought the vitreous old woman had super human strength but, "Last night must have been her undoing. Father, go do what must be done. Father Pierrepont, where is Tatsao?"

Return to “Archive”